[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the original design for TF2? https://www.youtube.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 48
File: TF2 design.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
TF2 design.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
What was the original design for TF2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RjDRLBWio
>>
File: Kraken got bad time.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Kraken got bad time.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>340134341
Pure Turth
>mfw they say the ugly turth
>>
>>340134341

I'll rather sell the items for games
>>
File: 1460943105574.jpg (1 MB, 2052x1329) Image search: [Google]
1460943105574.jpg
1 MB, 2052x1329
Nice video.
Its sad, but its so fucking true.
I wish this cosmetic bullshit never took off. I miss when TF2 got updates that added tons of new maps and weapons, not fugly cosmetic items that don't even fit the art style since they weren't even modeled by official Valve artists but rather some random basment dwelling autist who posted the model on the workshop.
>>
remember when they tried to put hats in Portal 2
lol
>>
Damn
Welp time to play Overwatch
>>
>>340134341

Original Design for TF2 would eventually become Battlefield 2 and TF2's original design was thusly scrapped.

I waited for roughly 6 years, checking websites every week on the start and end of every week for Team Fortress 2 updates, which would have been a modern/realistic class based game- a very unique and interesting idea for the time, in 1999.

I feel old.
>>
>>340136883
Overwatch has an almost identical system with the loot crates though.
Only real difference is you can't trade your cosmetics for money, not yet anyways.
>>
>>340134341
>literal chimps both men and women jesus
>>
>>340137161
>has an almost identical system with the loot crates though.
Identical as
>they come in free each level
>you don't need to buy a 3$ key to open them
>it has no impact on gameplay other than changing a dialog line or two
Ok then.
>>
>>340137014
>Original Design for TF2 would eventually become Battlefield 2

hahah what. dice has nothing to do with valve bruh.
>>
>>340135626
>I miss when TF2 got updates that added tons of new maps and weapons

no you don't, because tf2 was never once updated with "tons of new maps" outside of deep into the cosmetics era. years deep.
>>
File: 4354353455.png (54 KB, 255x199) Image search: [Google]
4354353455.png
54 KB, 255x199
I remember someone posting this on leddit with the tf2 hugbox.
People kept denying what is actually going on, it was fucking pathetic.

I go all stock 24/7. I will at most us a stat changing item.

I don't care, I've had an unusual, I've had a snowflake loadout, but, in the end, it's all pointless. They manipulate you into spending more, and more, and more money.

First, you want a hat. That is all. You get the hat. Now what? Well, maybe some misc cosmetics. Boots, shirt, whatever. You fill up all 3 slots, and you feel good. What now?
Hmm, special title weapons. Just get some genuine / strange ones.
Okay what now. I guess Paints? Oh yeah, I'll make me an unique color that looks good.
I guess I'll get some killstreak weapons, they do look pretty sweet.
Hey now I've spendt a lot of money already, an unusual does not seem too bad.
I'm going to uncrate a few, if I lose $10 its no big deal.
You then either finally get it after spending much more than $10 on keys, or you buy one / trade to one with a huge cost.

Suddenly you have burned so much money on something no one but yourself cares about. And, it dosen't even do anything special. The thrill wears off, and it wears off faster and faster, until you're conditioned to just buy buy buy.

It makes me sick.
>>
>>340137995
>It makes me sick.

that people are free to spend your money on what they choose?

do you think people are under the impression they are going to receive real life copies of the tf2 items they buy or something? it sounds more like you don't have any money to spend and are envious
>>
File: tf2OG.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
tf2OG.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>340137831

You're young. I understand. You were probably just born when Team Fortress Classic came out for Half Life 2.
>>
>>340138141
My backpack is worth $500.
I've been playing for 8 years.
>>
>>340138327
>the original design looking realistic means it "became" battlefield 2

do you understand what you typed?

the tf2 prototype became de_dust. he ripped it off from the designs shown in those shots.

yes, i'm so young that I played teamfortress alpha on netquake. suck my dick, silly, stupid faggot.
>>
>>340138141

It's the gaming form of degeneracy.

Sure, in a free society- people are able to spend what they want on products they want. When that society is pouring its funds into something which has absolutely no value and is harmful to the community then people also have the right to complain about that. DLC/Microtransactions/Paid cosmetics are no better than smoking cigarettes or alley-dice games.
>>
>>340137995

I never caught this obsession. If I happen to get a new weapon Ill happily toy around with it, often ending back at stock.Crafted some stuff back in the day but never bought anything beyond a single key when they first came out. Most stuff just clashes with the design, Confounds me why people want most of this garbage, never mind wanting every last scrap of it.
>>
>>340137995
the insanity is beautiful at the same time
>>
>>340138505
spend your time being mad at soda bruh. it's not the disadvantaged kids of the world spending money inside tf2
>>
>>340138415

Except de_dust existed before CS 1.6 and thusly while TF2 was still rumored to be in production and new screenshots were being released. How can you claim an entirely new game became a single counter strike map? Dust was based off of previously done maps from Action Quake. Stop trying to sound smart. It's obvious what I meant to anyone who followed TF2's original development and then played Battlefield 2.
>>
File: Ut1W5.gif (1 MB, 315x252) Image search: [Google]
Ut1W5.gif
1 MB, 315x252
>>340137995
>>340134341

I've had 500$ in TF2 items, after 2000h of game I realize it fucking useless to have some fucking cosmetic. Yeah it's pretty and making you ego fell good, but what a point?
>>
>>340134341
>valve shows how you can make money off idiots with pixels as shown with TF2 and CSGO
>other games like LoL just further cement this fact

>Blizzard creates a TF2 competitor and the microtransactions are already showing
I'm scared now, all we're missing is esports and Overwatch might just become a concentrated mess of everything wrong with gaming today
scared because people will allow it and it will become the norm that no mmo game can be launched without an online market place, cosmetics and an esports scene
>>
File: Untitled.png (175 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
175 KB, 1366x768
POST LOADOUTS
>>
>>340138751
The one thing that Overwatch got right is that there's no trading, aka the thing that helped ruin TF2
>>
>>340138653
>Except de_dust existed before CS 1.6 and thusly while TF2 was still rumored to be in production and new screenshots were being released. How can you claim an entirely new game became a single counter strike map?

maybe i can claim it because you should go read the interview with david johnston where he said he ripped it off from the tf2 screenshots. you don't know what the fuck you're talking about *kid*. you don't even know the timeline that you're trying to present this mastery of.

>hurr dust is based on kumanru from action quake

No, it isn't. source: I ran the official action quake 2 irc channel and worked on the mod.

Stupid fuck.

Guess what, sometimes there are people on /v/ with actual gaming clout. eat shit.
>>
>>340138803
Moonman, Moonman can't you see microtransactions need to hang from trees
>>
>>340138664
but what a point indeed.
>>
>>340138615

Just because an individual has the means to do something, or purchase a useless product, or invest sums of money into vanity at the cost of real product development (i.e, actually producing video games instead of producing degeneracy jew-shekles from micro transactions for ancient IP's) doesn't necessarily mean they should. Indeed, people can and should be criticized for stupid purchases and enabling shoddy business practices. It has nothing to do with jealousy or envy, but common sense.

Consumers should give their money to companies that produce actual, tangible products. Valve used to do that when they made Half Life and Half Life 2. Now they don't produce anything while raking in large amounts of money which they use to line veteran employee pockets instead of producing new and interesting video games.
>>
>>340138917
Well, I got 480$ back by selling all my shit back then
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 491x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 491x450
>>340134341
>we don't want them to gamble
>we just want them to spend money on a game of chance.
>>
It's insane to me that valve has never once contemplated on allowing servers to play in "classic" mode. You know how much more I'd play if I didn't have to hear about trading hats and shit in voice chat?
>>
>>340138897
>>340138653
"Counter-Strike 1.0Edit
Dave Johnston found early screenshots of a desert map from Team Fortress 2: Brotherhood of Arms and wanted to recreate the screenshots. Jess Cliffe got him in contact with MacMan to recreate textures from the screenshots. Originally called cs_destiny, many of the elements of the screenshots were recreated in the map, as well as some extra areas that were constantly changed around. Later on, bomb sites were added and rearranged. During map testing, the name was changed to de_dust."

btfo

http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Dust

damn maybe you should know what you're talking about before you condescendingly try to talk to other people as if they don't!

i know, i know, it's a surprisingly concept for a millennial.

yours truly, guy who was actually part of the quake era. guess what kid? you can never have that as part of your life like i did.
>>
>>340134341
Just read "Half-life 2 raising the bar" you fucking pleb.
>>
>>340138897

>Anecdotal evidence and hipsterism: The Post

With salty cunts like you, its no wonder the community died and devolved into morons who hand companies cash for doing nothing.

Furthermore just because someone took the concept shots from Alpha TF2 screen shots and made a map based around it doesn't mean that TF2 became de_dust. Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

I bet we'd actually agree on a whole bunch of things, if you weren't arguing over the dumbest semantics possible and intentionally being obtuse in order to appear more 'in the elite' than you are. In fact, your entire post reeks of elitism which is the entire problem with micro-transactions, cosmetics, and the Valve community in general.
>>
>>340138141
The thing is yes people are free to spend thier cash however they want. But such a system as it now is made to pray on those with low impulse control and such its actually kind of predatory. Since people who really want something or are wiliing to gamble on crates tend to quite easily overspend since their already mentioned low impulse control.

Its the same with overwatch or any f2p korean or chking grndan game. They are designed primarily to make as much money as possible from those that quite literally cant help themselves but spend.
>>
File: 1395792915413.gif (2 MB, 347x200) Image search: [Google]
1395792915413.gif
2 MB, 347x200
>backpack was worth maybe $200 max when i played around 3-5 years ago
>brother picks up the game
>gold pan drops for him
>>
>>340139138
I AM ELITE. YOU ARE NOT.

MY NAME IS IN THE ACTION QUAKE 2 DEV FILES. I TAUGHT GOOSEMAN HOW TO DRAW CAMOUFLAGE. LOL.

I ACT ELITE OVER YOU BECAUSE **I AM** IN THIS CONTEXT. KID.

remember next time you talk shit on /v/ that there were people who were actually fucking there. eat piss.
>>
>>340138887
and pray to god they do not reverse that decision
>>
>>340139006
I didn't understand what they were trying to say there, but the point of the matter remains that csgo was never as big as it was when skins had been introduced.
Now everyone and their mother plays it and other companies are going to see the success in this concept and follow suit.
>>
>>340138141
>that people are free to spend your money on what they choose?
so drug addiction and exploiting people with addictive personalities or issues is perfectly justifiable?
>>
>>340139139
then contact your local representatives and explain to them how the gambling in the game works and how you think it's the same as real gambling and should be illegal

I did that when crates came out in TF2. I contacted my senator and my representatives. They ALL responded with real written responses indicating that they read the issue and evaluated what I said.

Or you can tell it to /v/.
>>
>valve requested server owners to remove knife plugins

and they havent done a fucking thing about the servers that still have them because its valve.
>>
File: chap2.jpg (48 KB, 442x360) Image search: [Google]
chap2.jpg
48 KB, 442x360
>>340139194

3/10, but you could have kept the illusion going on a bit longer.
>>
>>340139332
you can have chap2.jpg i will keep the official id software cd that has my work on it

btw i was a top10 action quake2 player and would wipe the floor with you 17 years later.
>>
File: allgayshit.png (210 KB, 426x424) Image search: [Google]
allgayshit.png
210 KB, 426x424
>>340139417

I get it old man. When you hit fifty you really start taking everything literally, so when someone points out that TF2 originally had a modern tactical warfare aesthetic which was then dominated by Battlefield 2, you need to take that literally as if Team Fortress 2 actually became Battlefield 2. Your reading comprehension begins to go as your brain slowly begins to shut off and set yourself in strange, bizarre biases which cause you to become ostracized at the family gatherings and are the cause of strange looks when you are in a store.

t. a guy who grew up in the 1990's hosting one of the most popular Quake 2: WoD servers and whose father was the #1 ranked Quake 2 player for the 1999 holiday season. See, I can throw around stupid historical things around too. Am I in the club yet uncle anonymous?
>>
This shit is going to ruin valve in a couple more years. This is another thing to lead to a game industry collapse.

Your single player game can't bring in the Benjamin's like a fucking $5/pull slot machine? Oh. Okay. I guess you'll get lots of development money pfaaahahahaha
>>
File: CSGOPopularityBoom.png (203 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
CSGOPopularityBoom.png
203 KB, 640x360
>>340139216
CS:GO was dead before The Arms Deal Update
>>
Do people unironically get mad at hats?
>>
File: 1462908744109.jpg (35 KB, 367x368) Image search: [Google]
1462908744109.jpg
35 KB, 367x368
>It's another CrowbCat shills his own video episode

Some videos are alright but keep the shilling a little lower
>>
>>340134341
Originally every character was supposed to be uniquely distinct by their silhouette. Then before the class updates they said they would never add items that would impede movement (sandman, natascha, etc). Then before hats they said they would never break the TF2 aesthetic. THEN they said they would NEVER EVER nickel and dime you for content.
Do any of these promises apply to the current face of Team Fortress 2?
>>
>>340139614
>whose father was the #1 ranked Quake 2 player for the 1999 holiday season
neat!!

and btw being in the club always involves what you did not what your dad did. in anything in life.
>>
>>340139624
Even 1.6 is higher that cs:go
>>
>>340134341
Wait, can someone fill me in on what were the youtubers reacting all giddy for?
>>
>>340139624
This. CS:GO was probably bought by most because of the Genuine AWP you could get in TF2, and generally wasn't really seen as a replacement for CS:S. Many were pretty much adamant about not moving to CS:GO because Source was as good as it was gonna get. And then Arms Deal happened, crates were introduced, and the rest is history.
>>
>>340134341
fuck off CrowbCat
>>
>>340139726
most of the shit you say they said, they didn't say. you just characterize them that way because then you can villainize them

what should valve have done with tf2? let it die 5 years ago like it would have naturally?

the people getting "nickle and dimed" for content right now are the people who love it and have been playing it for years. let them pay. paying makes the game better and gives incentive to keep improving it

very soon they will move it to source 2 which will be amazing
>>
>>340139784
Never played CS:S online, was it really that good?
>>
>>340139839
why will it be amazing,so they can add even more cosmetics to a class at once and destroy any semblance of sane art design?

Or will anyone even care at this point, now that overwatch is out?
>>
>>340139839
Unfortunately I can't find the other 3 because they're in old posts on the blog that google isn't returning, but the silhouette one is in the OP video.
>>
File: 1439197350039.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
1439197350039.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>340139839
>very soon they will move it to source 2 which will be amazing
>>
>>340139732

Tell that to the golf club I go to and to the porsche dealer I got back to- all very nice and exclusive clubs, all thanks to my dad!

You sound pretty salty and sad to be bragging about your name being buried in a 20 year old dead mod while moaning about being in an exclusive club. How about getting into a club that matters, faggot.

t. daddy's lad, enjoying the clubs he's in thanks to filial piety.
>>
>>340139839
source 2? more like development hell
>>
>>340139708
Feels good knowing at least he's not getting any money from me. Thanks AdBlock!
>>
File: tips_palette.gif (8 KB, 492x290) Image search: [Google]
tips_palette.gif
8 KB, 492x290
I wonder if anyone still remembers what this even is
>>
>>340134341
what is wrong with gambling/skins/aesthetics items?
TF2 is still alive because of them , same with CSGO.
Customization is fun for MP games.
>>
>>340139839
>what should valve have done with tf2? let it die 5 years ago like it would have naturally?
games die what a sad fucking thing

it's as if game developers aren't supposed to sit on one title and milk it for decades

I remember a time when everything was simple -you make a game, put a price tag on it and if people don't buy it you lower the price tag or make a better game, fuck that right?
>>
File: rOJyU8r[1].png (301 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
rOJyU8r[1].png
301 KB, 500x333
>>340140025
>my dad's rich

yeah sorry kid you're a fag
>>
>>340139839
>what should valve have done with tf2? let it die 5 years ago like it would have naturally?

make a new game. HL2 is still dying for a sequel. a new TF could've followed
>>
>>340138327
Its still got nothing to do with dice tho
>>
>>340140219
>PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO CONTINUE ENJOYING A THRIVING COMMUNITY AND BIG UPDATES FOR A GAME THEY LOVE!!

/v/: the post
>>
>>340139839
I can honestly say if cosmetics and the Mann Co Economy didn't grow to the main fucking focus of the game like it has I would still be playing TF2 today
>>
File: advicedog.jpg (78 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
advicedog.jpg
78 KB, 407x405
>>340140242

>Person works diligently and hard to provide for the next generation

>Next generation takes advantage

>this make them gay

Sounds like you're mad as fuck that's alright i'm sure your action quake 2 camouflage money was well invested right?
>>
>>340140303
>people should wallow on meaningless pleasure that ultimately ends in degeneracy and pointless items for a videogame because they want to

also

>/v/ is one person
>>
>>340140309
with who? on maps from 10 years ago? quake dm3, dm4, dm6 didn't last 10 years
>>
File: 1339259177453.jpg (85 KB, 866x771) Image search: [Google]
1339259177453.jpg
85 KB, 866x771
>>340140458
>get btfo
>get called a fag
>my dad's rich!

you arent even going to say you arent a fag?

lol kids from today shouldnt fuckin argue with people from the 90s
>>
>>340140181
Nope.
>>
File: .jpg (37 KB, 417x426) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
37 KB, 417x426
>>340140303
why not make actual big updates like maps and weapon balances and most important bug fixes instead of shiny guns
>>
>>340140606
that's supposed to be the really really big update coming later in the year with competitive play

why not not have a problem with a company keeping a beloved game alive

it's the users keeping it alive after all, they're the ones spending the money.
>>
>>340139939

No. Anyone saying otherwise is being contrarian.
>>
File: Asiangif.gif (2 MB, 292x292) Image search: [Google]
Asiangif.gif
2 MB, 292x292
>>340140564

>Person is obtuse and aggressive over a two sentence post

>Lists a bunch of useless cred that expired 20 years ago on an anonymous image-board when they're shown to be obtuse

>Is clearly upset and projecting some serious issues

Video Games get the communities they deserve.
>>
>>340140642
if they cared about tf2 or the community any further than how to pump out crates this update would have happened a long time ago.
>>
>>340138141
>whats bad about stroking your ego
>whats bad about being alone forever
>dying alone
>with your loving self
it's not just cosmetics, it's about how you care to represent yourself to the outside and yourself.
>>
>>340140587
The original color palette for TF2. Literally every color in the base game was shown right there.

When they first opened the gates for consumer made products and paints, they told everyone to stick to that palette, and anything that gets too far away wouldn't be put into place. They also said any items deemed not in character wouldn't be accepted either.

I think that all lasted less then a few months
>>
File: laugh.jpg (35 KB, 260x320) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
35 KB, 260x320
>>340140696
>daddy!
>>
TF2's design has changed, there's no denying it since some of the cosmetics are so far out there. Even so, has its concept of unique silhouettes really changed? A Heavy brimming with cosmetics still looks like a Heavy.
>>
>>340140812
>Literally every color in the base game was shown right there.

lol no it's a tonal guide.
>>
>>340134341
valvedrones are trying their hardest roflmao
>>
>>340140812

I remember that, friend. I remember how long that lasted, too- all but a season. After the first little 'joke' item slipped through, an entire torrent of shit followed- including the lucrative cuts that people who spent 3-4 hours making a texture were getting contrasted with what valve was making.

I think in a single month alone, a guy who created a single cosmetic item made $24 000 and Valve made in excess of $300 000 for doing nothing at all. When faced with those kinds of numbers, veteran management smelled money-for-nothing from a million miles away.

I find it interesting that with the gradual slide towards creating cheap, unbalanced products with a heavy-cosmetic and micro-transaction based income system we saw the company straight up stop talking about future IP developments about Half Life, Team Fortress, etc..
>>
File: gpimp1.jpg (59 KB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
gpimp1.jpg
59 KB, 170x200
>>340140946

>He'll never golf with the true earth-shakers and money makers because his dad was too busy drinking and making fun of him for making textures to a dying game.

9AM Tee-off. Smell ya later!
>>
>>340141128
>IP developments about Half Life, Team Fortress
this is the biggest salt i have with this situation

Fuck cosmetics, fuck DLC, they hinder actual development.
>>
>>340140812
Well, thank you for the lesson.
>>
>>340141352
microtransactions are the future, and you can thank valve for that.
>>
>>340141352
reminder that because the Portal 2 hat store flopped so hard we will never get a single player valve game ever again, or probably even a small team based co-op game again (ala portal 2's multiplayer/ left 4 dead)
>>
>>340141430
Almost every modern game has them.

UC4, MGSV, Call of Duty and so on
I couldn't even list all there is so many.

I need a new pasttime
>>
>>340137161
Blizzard actually built the cosmetics organically though so it works out. It's not a big goofy mess like TF2.
>>
The only thing I hate about this video is that they're accusing someone of wanting a hat or a cool item as a narcissist. "You're the only one who cares about it!" Is that necessarily a bad thing?

I love playing Soldier in TF2, one of my favorite things to play in any game period. I wanted to accent that favorite thing with some sort of small token that I felt was worthy of how much I enjoyed it.

To me, unusuals, at least in TF2, show to me you enjoy what youre playing as and wanted to get something that showed you love playing X class, even if its for yourself.

I dont know. I agree that TF2's design has gotten wonky, but calling people narcissists just strikes me as preachy holier than thou bullshit.
>>
>>340141884
Tell me how it's not narcistic to wear something that makes you different from other players, making yourself unique?

It's always egocentric, egoistic and only fills the stomach of a monster called conceit/arrogance.
Never feed him, or else he will grow.

But you even said it yourself:
> sort of small token that I felt was worthy of how much I enjoyed it.
So the hat represents you and your success of the game? How isn't that narcistic?
>>
>>340142171

>Tell me how it's not narcistic to wear something that makes you different from other players, making yourself unique?

Im pretty sure wanting to feel unique is something every human has ever felt in the history of our species.

>So the hat represents you and your success of the game? How isn't that narcistic?

Because I dont think the physical appearance of my hat or gun makes me any better than anyone else?
>>
>>340142171

Straight up communist thought.

A little bit of ego and vanity is healthy for every individual- indeed, it is what makes individuals, individuals.

The problem is that these sorts of pay-for-cosmetics or side-grades and micro-transactions appeal to the narcissist, the vain, those who seek to exploit player-based markets while the entire time a company that once made video games gets fatter and richer off of doing nothing but perpetrating the narcissism and vanity.

There used to be a time where people could upload and download entire player skins and weapon skins that would be visible to everyone on the server and it cost no one a penny. I miss those days.
>>
Not even once in my life have I ever wanted to buy an item with a real money price tag on it and I don't think I'll ever understand why someone would.

If it's an item that affect gameplay its P2W and the game is probably shit and if its just cosmetic, well it's just cosmetic and I can't give a shit about it.

Still, nice to know there are plenty of people to exploit by making cosmetic items, otherwise I wouldn't get paid doing it.
>>
>>340137161
The loot crates are free with each level, NOTHING requires money to obtain, and nothing is locked behind money (like when you get a crate in TF2 these days. FUCK THAT SHIT.) Also, the only things you get are sprays, an animation/voice line for a character, or alternate skins, all of which fit the character/game aesthetic.
>>
>>340134341
scary shit yo
>>
>>340139758
In cs go you can unbox knives worth lots of money.

Its just a compilation of streamers unboxing those items all played at the same time.
>>
>>340134341
>let me put a narcissus segment with ominous music to say obvious things, that sure makes me look smart
>>
File: 1460640818370.gif (184 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
1460640818370.gif
184 KB, 500x733
>>340134341
well fuck how do we fix this?
>>
File: 1382761204730.png (90 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1382761204730.png
90 KB, 700x700
>>340138803
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327343548
>Posted: 16 Oct, 2014
>Other: Certified Compatible, Halloween
So Valve just, went thru some old Halloween cosmetics that didn't make it into the 2014 event, and added one of them to the Gun Mettle cosmetic case because "fuck it".
>>
>>340142171
What if I just want my favorite class/weapons to look good you dip
Not everything revolves around being an egocentric fuck
>>
File: 1464039869268.jpg (106 KB, 800x666) Image search: [Google]
1464039869268.jpg
106 KB, 800x666
>>340137995
Eh, it's not all bad. I'll have an entire inventory to put up on the market to buy new and upcoming games once I stop playing games like TF2 and CSGO indefinitely.

I have at least $400 worth of items stashed away, there are always new games coming out and I have tons of cushion to play the games I want for money I spent years ago or won by gambling.
>>
>>340134341
what's this cartoon used in OP's image?
>>
File: 1396850041710.jpg (96 KB, 1338x716) Image search: [Google]
1396850041710.jpg
96 KB, 1338x716
>>340134341
>we have the shitfoil hat coming out
>>
>>340137995
I only ever spent like 20 cents to get premium. If you play enough you can get any cosmetic by grinding metal and trading it.Unless you want to be the special snowflake and get unusuals/stranges.
>>
>>340134341
>CrowbCat

stop posting these videos
>>
File: tear.webm (2 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tear.webm
2 MB, 1024x576
>>340134341
>mfw remember the time of a thriving skin making community for CS1.6 and CSS which did it for free
>I also made some myself
>they ruined everything by bringing money into it
>they tried to do this with ALL mods for other games
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (47 KB, 474x453) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
47 KB, 474x453
>>
File: 1386734879986.gif (3 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
1386734879986.gif
3 MB, 356x200
>>340134341
It's funny, because I was on the other end of probability in the early days of hats and shit. I played for hours and hours, just to play, and never once got any of the hats I saw around me.

I wonder if I had gotten all those hats, had been luckier, if I would still be playing TF2 right now.

Probably not, but it makes me wonder. The version of myself that spend a shitton of money on keys.

>>340145742
We don't.

Cosmetics, DLC, and mobile games are all here to stay. You want Operation Genesis 2? Too bad, here's Jurassic World for Facebook. You want a good main game followed up with good expansion pack like Dark Crusade or Opposing Force? Too bad, you'll get a third of a game and pay 20 bucks for the other two thirds. You want an online shooter without forced unlocking of items or paying to get skins? Too bad, here's Overwatch, Call of Duty Infinity Warfare, and Battlefield 1. That's right. WW1 with weapon skins.

Greed and high speed internet were the downfall of vidya. At least Dorf Fort and Space Station 13 continue on. The underground shall be our refuge.
>>
File: 1455150422592.png (83 KB, 342x245) Image search: [Google]
1455150422592.png
83 KB, 342x245
>poured a little over a gran into tf2 uncrating
>actually got a god-tier unusual worth thousands
>managed to sell it off and make a tiny profit
>greed and gambling tic make me pour it all back in and then some
>i haven't even really played the game since selling the hat
So apparently I can't tell myself to stop. I guess I'm weak.

Do I need to see somebody?
>>
>>340146268
but he's one of the best youtubers
>>
>>340138887

Except for their ingame store with real money.

Heaven forbid players actually interact for the game.
>>
Did the video fail to address that people got excited because those skins are worth hundreds to thousands of dollars? If so I missed it and it would make the "everyone is an idiot getting happy at a texture changed model" message dumb.
>>
File: URSA_1[1].jpg (53 KB, 475x476) Image search: [Google]
URSA_1[1].jpg
53 KB, 475x476
There was a time when this item set was deemed too inappropriate for the Dota 2 art-style. After fan backlash the item set was promptly removed.

That was a long time ago.
>>
>>340138887
>aka the thing that helped ruin TF2
I have friends with literally over 100 hours of just TRADING

Jesus christ, I just want to play the game with my friends
>>
File: yakuza-3.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yakuza-3.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
Man I love TF2 but i do agree that some hats and paint taints the original design.

If it were a perfect world we would have TF2 with the new weapons minus the hats.

I even bought overwatch hoping it be good to fill the void and while it is fun, theres things that piss me off such has hanzos arrows.

Will valve ever make a video game again?
>>
File: dn829.jpg (25 KB, 315x400) Image search: [Google]
dn829.jpg
25 KB, 315x400
>>340134341
We have a virtual safe house for narcissists?
Unacceptable! Remove this thing so that they can go back into the real world and ruin peoples lives.
>>
>>340148604
I sold that alp hat for 100 euros.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stK_dPEw0Vs

This was on the news in my country.
>>
File: 1442432246614.jpg (43 KB, 340x296) Image search: [Google]
1442432246614.jpg
43 KB, 340x296
>>340134341
>All the reaction videos
People seriously react like that when they get a skin in CSGO?
>>
>>340149707
Dammit, I made an image out of that kid's face in paint.net last week and forgot to save it.
>>
>>340149565
Jesus Christ video games have become a joke and a travesty.
>>
>>340146493
>Too bad, here's Jurassic World for Facebook
Then more people should have bought the first Operation Genesis
>>
>>340149707

I hope Valve is proud of how they make their money now.

Truly Gaben's daughters can eat like princesses, but at what cost?
>>
>>340149840
Considering some of those skins are worth upwards of $300, yeah
>>
>>340138327
>Team Fortress Classic came out for Half Life 2.
But that never happened.
>>
>>340147445
all of his videos are literally autistic-tier non-content

>look guys, here's some STUFF
>haha there's an argument here
>have fun with the discussion on REDDIT
>>
>>340150413
Can they even get money for those skins or is it all steam wallet?
>>
>>340150514
You can sell it on a third party site and cash out through paypal
>>
>>340150413
>worth

It's really sad that people who consider them to be worth that amount aren't just widely regarded as fucking idiots, whom we should protect rather than exploit.
>>
>>340150491
I think it's just american's fault and their obession with arguments. His videos simply either have messages liek op or just make fun of something like ubisoft's downgrade
>>
>>340150491
>haha there's an argument here

I didn't watch all of his videos but the last one for example about ubisoft games is not just an argument. It really shows the thing.
>>
why all the fuss over trading and transactions and skins?

the base game and its gameplay still exists, its not like its replaced you whiny faggots
>>
>>340150514
That is if you're dumb enough to transfer $300 into someone else's account for an in-game item, and seeing how there's no shortage of idiots on Steam nowadays...

Yes, you can make real money of of it. The thing is most people don't because a few days later they sell it to go gambling again.
>>
>>340140564
>people from 90's
But they're the kids, anon.
>>
Original design for tf2 was an alien invasion sort of thing

the proof of purchase is a sort of nod to one of the character designs
>>
File: 1452101755679.gif (434 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
1452101755679.gif
434 KB, 500x720
I just sell all my Steam cards and buy the cheap 5p skins with them
A simple set of camo guns is much nicer than any tacky orange and blue shit
>>
>>340150491
Are you the downie who came up with the term artificial difficulty?
>>
If you dont like it, dont engage in it and just play the base game that is still there, no one is stopping you.
>>
>just play game
>get random drops to sell on market
>do enough to buy a key for a box
>get 20 bucks skin
I dont know why anyone would hate this system. Also there are tons of giveaways for items that are worth >50 bucks.
And the important thing: It is all cosmetic, you dont get good by owning a dragon lore.
>>
>>340150738
>it really shows the thing

that's a good way of putting it

it's just a bunch of stuff
>>
>>340145763
>my favorite class/weapon
it's not yours, it doesn't represent you nor belong you.

Calling it your favorite is taking ownage of it, like it belongs to you. You bound your ego to this weapon or class.

Why don't you play all classes and weapons in a change? Because you might would loose when you play? Or be worse than usual?

How isn't it egoistic.

Don't know why this guy calls me communist>>340142529
, i base this on early budhism. I just started studying it, but i hope you get my point.

Because it's egoistic and feeds your inner ego, where there should be none. No postive or negative ego. People wouldn't be depressed if they wouldnt be egoistic.

I know its hard acknowledging that and it's not easy nor do i claim i am a master at this.
>>
>>340151509
I don't understand your argument. A bunch of stuff ? Elaborate.
>>
>>340150491
you're just too retarded to understand art
>>
>>340141814
>Not a big goofy mess
Have you seen half the skins?
>>
>>340149840
Some of them are profiting from the videos
>>
>>340151439
They hate it because they don't get knife, after spending money on a key
>>
>>340152382
>they hat it because they don't get the knife [THEY WANT], after spending money [THEY EARNED] on a key [THEY BOUGHT]
It doesn't sound childish at all.

Last week i was outside shooting some balls, when a family played soccer. They played some game on one goal, where they had to switch keepers, if you shoot it out or the keeper catches it.The smallest, a little girl, shot the ball outside and had to go into the goal, cried out with a loud shriek INSTANTLY, only to not having go into the goal. The parents or a lot older siblings hugged them immeadietaly and the little brat didn't had to go into the goal.

They didn't seem to notice, but as soon as she got hugged, a big fucking grin exploded on her face and the crying vanished in a split second.

It's just kids crying because they don't get their favorite toy.
>>
>>340134341
I like TF2 cosmetics.
>>
Fortress Forever > TF2
>>
>>340134341
the original design for first person shooters was doom
>>
>>340134341
At least you can sell the knife for mad d€sh
>>
>>340137995
>First, you want a hat. That is all. You get the hat.
I actually stopped playing after that. Haven't played for years since I got a hat I liked.
>>
File: 146832276732.jpg (5 KB, 170x196) Image search: [Google]
146832276732.jpg
5 KB, 170x196
>>340134341
>see this video
>dont care at all
>still gonna invest on me virtual goods
>>
File: wp_ss_20160602_0003.png (83 KB, 480x298) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160602_0003.png
83 KB, 480x298
>>340151513
>Bananas aren't yours, they don't represent you nor belong you. Calling them your favorite food is taking ownage of it, like it belongs to you. You bound your ego to this banana.
>>
>crowbcat
He is uncool now because he gets the plebbit audience
>>
>>340154929
>food analogies
you did that for kicks, didnt you?

It still works. If all the Bananas would die out and be extinct, you would be extremely sad, wouldnt you?
>>
>>340154937
yes. he never asked for it tho.
>>
>>340139006
I think what he was trying to say or what the initial system idea was that there were no higher or lower chances of getting an item
>>
>>340151513
Are you fucking retarded?
I like playing this class/weapon the most, therefore it's my favorite.It being my favorite I would enjoy it looking prettier.
>b-but you have a favorite class/weapon, that means that you only play it and not the others and you're afraid of losing when you switch
What the fuck. 6/10 bait made me reply
>>
what were the men and women chimping out over?
>>
>>340155070
Yes,and...?
>>
>>340134341
crowbcat keeps putting out great mini video game documentaries surprisingly quickly
>>
>>340155329
>I like it, because I like it, thats why i like it, it could be better, but i like it.

I never said you only play it for not losing, i said you play it for yourself, clearly.
Everything else where questions, you just answered. Especially with all those insults, like i attaked you personally and i even earned your respect to reply
>6/10 made me reply
I am very glad you did, its stroking my yet present ego at the moment, validating me.

I am not past the point myself, dear friend.
>>
>>340134341
DAE THINKS VALVE IS HITLER?!
>>
>>340137995
>tfw never wanted a hat
I like the default looks too much.

Didn't bother with most weapons, just use stock except for some straight upgrades like the Escape Plan or Ubersaw.
>>
>>340155531
fuck off retard
>>
>>340155390
What else do you want? If you like something or cling to something, be prepared to suffer, because it will lose it's punch, flavour, richness, it's fucking life, whatever.
>>
>>340134341
>used to just turn my metal to keys in TF2 and sell them for real money
>one day decide to just fuck it. I'll open one crate for shits and giggles
>unusual
>cashed it out and got around 1500$ dollarydoos out of it
I always liked the system honestly
I can just flip all the shit for steambux and buy more games.
>>
>>340139006

I think gambling implies that there is a chance to lose. In those roulettes, you always win, even if it's a shitty item.

But i know what you mean.
>>
File: 1442024098273.png (246 KB, 599x540) Image search: [Google]
1442024098273.png
246 KB, 599x540
>>340151513
buddhism is retarded and decadent
>>
>>340156115
if you're not playing for fun and are playing purely to try and acquire items to get steam bux then you lose time
>>
>>340155620
>The "religion of compassion" (or "the heart") bids him help, and he thinks he has helped best when he has helped most speedily! If you adherents of this religion actually have the same sentiments towards yourselves which you have towards your fellows, if you are unwilling to endure your own suffering even for an hour, and continually forestall all possible misfortune, if you regard suffering and pain generally as evil, as detestable, as deserving of annihilation, and as blots on existence, well, you have then, besides your religion of compassion, yet another religion in your heart (and this is perhaps the mother of the former) the religion of smug ease. Ah, how little you know of human happiness - you comfortable and benevolent people! For happiness and unhappiness are brother and sister - or even twins who grow up together - or in your case - remain small together!
>>
>>340139708
I would care but I like his videos. It's nothing new to me but it's stuff I care about. He made a good video on Ubisoft's downgrading.
>>
>>340137915
>What was Gold Rush Update?
>>
File: 15241.jpg (21 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
15241.jpg
21 KB, 1280x720
>>340136883
>>340137161
>>340141814
>>340152113
>Be me
>November 2015
>Get in Overwatch Closed Beta
>It's basically all i dreamed about - Vanilla TF2 on steroids with no cosmetic shit that ruined TF2
>Feburary 2016
>Get in Overwatch CBT again
>They introduce lootcrates and skins
BLIZZARD IT WAS SAID THAT YOU WOULD DESTROY VALVE NOT JOIN THEM
>>
>>340135892
>your Steam inventory screen will forever have that "Portal 2 (2)" tab
>>
>>340139029
There's a blacklist /whitelist feature for all items. Also the TF2 Classic mod might be something you'd be interested in.
>>
>>340139708
That Ubisoft video in particular really does need to be shilled considering how close E3 is.
>>
File: suck my diiiiiick.gif (16 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
suck my diiiiiick.gif
16 KB, 125x125
>>340139708
This is what i dont fucking understand, how the fuck this guys videos get shilled so hard? There are people who make similar stuff but they never EVER get so many views. It even got 5000 upboats on r/gaming, the second most upboated post had like 2k, and these guys ONLY upvote fucking meme shit. How the fuck?
>>
>>340158294
>There are people who make similar stuff
any link ? I need more
>>
File: chroban.png (89 KB, 330x328) Image search: [Google]
chroban.png
89 KB, 330x328
>>340139839
>very soon they will move it to source 2 which will be amazing
Except for, you know, the part in the recent interview with TFTV reps where they SPECIFICALLY SAID they have no plans to move TF2 to Source 2?
>>
File: 1459737150198.jpg (133 KB, 1600x988) Image search: [Google]
1459737150198.jpg
133 KB, 1600x988
>>340134341
>mfw i played a lot better before i sold all my skins
was it the motivation to present such a big dick ego?
>>
File: 1386386470034.jpg (21 KB, 220x384) Image search: [Google]
1386386470034.jpg
21 KB, 220x384
Do you remember the time were microtransactions weren't a thing, /v/? Do you remember when it was only a thing in mobile games? Do you remember when fully priced games didn't had microtransactions to make you grind ? Even for cosmetic shit that you would get just by playing?
I don't remember anymore
>>
File: 1461630568133.jpg (23 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1461630568133.jpg
23 KB, 600x549
>>340160364
I remember when DLCs were considered cancer
I remember when /v/ used to hate Halo instead of having fucking nostalgia for it
I remember when steam wasn't a thing
I remember when games weren't considered e-sports
I remember when fucking Let's Play weren't a thing and could search for a game without some faggot screaming memes and overreacting to everything
I remember when demos existed and pre-orders were just a dystopian dream
I remember when I actually liked video games
>>
>>340158294
because he makes good videos you dingus

he has very few subscribers for how many views some of his videos have
>>
File: 1444311923191.gif (510 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
1444311923191.gif
510 KB, 700x827
>>340160364
>>340160814
>>
>>340160814
you seem jaded and unhappy and i'm glad i do not think the things that you think
>>
>>340162259
Ignorance is bliss
>>
>>340160814
youtube ruined gaming
>>
>>340160814
How bout actually do it this time?
No more backing down.
>>
File: youtube.jpg (218 KB, 1436x674) Image search: [Google]
youtube.jpg
218 KB, 1436x674
>>340162838
No, Google did.
>>
remember when CS GO was practically dead on arrival and there were more people playing source
>>
>>340157552
>Blizzard
I don't know what you expected.
>>
>>340160814
Oh god i remember searching for playtroughs without voice-overs and that is what we used to be called; playtroughs.
>>
>>340163258
This, youtube should've actively kept telling Google to fuck off.
>>
>>340155531
redditor faggot
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.