[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The internet is dangerous and I fear for the effect it is having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: darkcorner2.jpg (8 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
darkcorner2.jpg
8 KB, 240x320
The internet is dangerous and I fear for the effect it is having on our young people. The line between reality and fiction is becoming more blurred. While I support questioning the nature of reality and support the idea that reality is entirely mental, we are far too accepting of everything we see on the internet. Not to mention the effect in the brain of having stimulation at all times without any work. I feel like the proverbial old man fearful of technology, but I feel like it is time to stop before it gets worse. What are your thoughts on the influence of technology, virtual reality and the Internet on the upcoming generations? Has it effected you negatively and how do you feel about that? Why do we not use the entirety of human knowledge that we have at our fingertips?
>>
Wrong board, sorry guys.
>>
>>340133458
I think that "Don't forget you're here forever" is enough evidence that the internet has a dangerous influence.
>>
>>340134264
I wasn't questioning whether or not the internet has a dangerous influence. I just wonder what should be done, if anything. Also, the internet is a great tool and I wish I could leave 4chan and make better use of it.
>>
File: 1433031491368.jpg (47 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
1433031491368.jpg
47 KB, 800x680
>you'll be long dead before perfect sensorial simulation becomes a reality
>you won't be able to live a life of omnipotence in a virtual world while your body is kept alive in stasis for a couple hundred years
>>
>>340135731
But you're already living a simultation, bro. Not my fault you wanted to see what Shitty Life Simulator 3099 was like.
>>
>>340135386
Sorry, I thought you meant generations as in people.
>>
>>340135840
Except I can't code a perfect waifu for me to cuddle with. Or gruesomely torture a loli without having to face remorse or life in jail. Or be able to literally live any fantasy we can only hope to represent with words.

VR is just an unfair tease of something far grater, but unfortunately, far away into the future as well.
>>
>>340135731
Godmode would get boring quickly, a game needs rules and limits no matter how immersive.
>>
>>340135931
I did, though. I guess my point was the I'm curious and concerned about what kids exposed to the internet will become.

>>340135840
The simulation theory is interesting. While it doesn't add anything but semantics, it's always welcome. Good show.
>>
>>340136438
So be it m8. Having access to cheat codes doesn't mean you have to use them. Actually, the cheat code analogy doesn't even begin to convey the magnitude of power we're talking about here.

Imagine a pause button (without having to worry about the "would a plane be frozen in mid-air or crash" paradox), rewind button, fast forward, skip cutscenes, retry button, scene selection, new game plus, hard mode... The possibilities are endless, and absolutely optional.

Even if you became bored and missed your old, boring life, you could simulate that too and go back to it after relieving some stress.
>>
>>340136659
>I did, though. I guess my point was the I'm curious and concerned about what kids exposed to the internet will become.
I've been a regular on a certain Transformers forum for the last decade, and I think I've seen it through on-and-off-topic discussion. They become disconnected from reality with black-and-white views on it, unable to sympathize with others or look at things rationally, and possibly even sadistic. If someone somewhere allegedly does something wrong, they're guilty until proven innocent and should be punished in a barbaric way.

Someone's arrested for being a thief? Cut their fingers off. Someone kills a lion? Kill them, because they deserve to die. A human and a monkey are trapped in a burning house and you can only save one? Save the monkey, because humans are evil, overpopulated, and less important than the animal. It's also A-OK to tear your enemy's face off, rip their spine out, torture them, and execute them when they surrender because "it's war and that makes it okay."
>>
>>340133458
>tfw internet has given me a window into countless worlds of knowledge
>nothing is gatekept from me by stuffy institutions dictating what is wrong and right
>can discover everything about the world, sitting right at my desk
>talk to people all across the planet from all different cultures
>learn not only about the world, but myself

The internet is the number one greatest thing humanity has invented. Fuck fire, fuck the wheel. Information is king, and learning too. The internet combines both into the greatest idea ever.
>>
>>340138431
Op here and I agree. I apologise if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>340138261
Interesting. Do you think that this attitude would extend to real life? I suppose it isnt important, as public opinion is controlled by opinions that are expressed online, with no connection to enforcing those opinions in real life.
>>
>>340138261
>They become disconnected from reality with black-and-white views on it, unable to sympathize with others or look at things rationally, and possibly even sadistic
I agree with this.
Source: Being a regular on a certain anime imageboard for nearly nine years. Kill me.
>>
>>340139123
>nteresting. Do you think that this attitude would extend to real life?
Likely. I imagine zero-tolerance policies in schools aren't helping things either.
>>
>>340133458
>The line between reality and fiction is becoming more blurred
Only for faggots who can't tell what is real from the not.
Do you seriously believe everything you see in the TV or the internet? You might have brain problems if you do.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.