[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When would you say product placement is acceptable in a video game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
When would you say product placement is acceptable in a video game?
>>
honestly SA2. I didn;t even fucking know the shoes were a product placement of their own.
>>
During the final boss.
>>
When its unobtrusive.
>>
File: cosmic-archive.png (87 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
cosmic-archive.png
87 KB, 267x200
When they actually do something clever with it instead of just having it there for the sake of being there.
>>
>>340115567
Did anyone seriously buy them because of this game?
>>
File: heyguesswhat.png (231 KB, 338x423) Image search: [Google]
heyguesswhat.png
231 KB, 338x423
>>340115567
You made another soap shoes thread?
>>
I like it because it makes the game more realistic
>>
>>340116201
That's actually funny you say that.

When IS it obtrusive?
>>
Whenever it adds to the world. Product placement in Pikmin 2 reinforced that the distant planet is Earth. Usually product placement helps to establish realism or a real-world setting, like in Yakuza. It's still a corporately driven decision, I'll never be upset to see a game doesn't have product placement, but sometimes it's alright.

In Sonic Adventure 2, all of the ads I remember were in-universe, aside from soap. But at the time, I didn't realize they were a real brand, and even had I realized it was, I may not have realized Sonic's shoes were their doing. Even now, I exclusively associate the brand with Sonic Adventure 2.
>>
File: BtWjpXXIQAA4Fd3.jpg (30 KB, 600x424) Image search: [Google]
BtWjpXXIQAA4Fd3.jpg
30 KB, 600x424
>>340116873
When it's out of place and completely goes against everything the game originally set.
>>
>>340116603

Probably some teenagers with rich parents.

>>340116050

Isn't that kind of a failure though? At least at the "advertising" thing.

>>340116708

No idea what you mean man.

>>340116873

You ever seen a scene in a game or movie or whatever where there's a lot of generic brand stuff (or worse nothing at all) but there's one can of Coca Cola front and center with the logo perfectly in view of the camera? Shit like that.

Though like >>340116810 said it's not a problem when it actually feels like part of the world. For example in the Yakuza games there's billboards for Nico Nico and you can read Weekly Shonen Jump after buying CC Lemon at a store, but it all feels like world building just as much as it does advertising.
>>
>>340115567
fine by me it adds a small tinge of realism
>>
>>340115567

When the game takes place on our planet Earth.

I would actually PREFER to see soda pop bottles that say, "Coca Cola" or "Pepsi" on them than fucking, "THIS IS POP" written on them like most fucking games do.

Like that jarring Tom Clancy, "VIDEO GAME" store in some Ubisoft game.
>>
>>340117065
So if it's not out of character, or glaring, it's OK.

But then there are games like THPS which have too many ads in them, none of them being intrusive, or glaring, but too many nonetheless.
>>
>>340117135
there was already one a few hours ago that said something like "Are soap shoes more autistic than NB?" And had a picture of photoshopped Sonic soap shoes
>>
File: photo.jpg (3 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
3 KB, 100x100
>>340117065
Get out, potatonigger.
>>
>>340117264
>hur durr some eceleb said it, therefore it can be discarded
Fuck off, fag.
>>
I really liked the future weapons adds in bf2142
>>
Crazy Taxi without Offspring and the ability to deliver a customer to a Pizza Hut is a far shittier Crazy Taxi so no I don't mind product placement.
>>
Alan Wake did it right, the batteries had the Duracell brand and look as well as the label if you looked close enough, but just said batteries if you picked them up. Same thing with the Maglite flashlights. That game had a shitload of real world brand names.
>>
>>340116090
>Playing a JRPG
>Teenagers are using the power of friendship to slay God
>Basically the usual
>Boss' turn
>Casts Mountain Dew and Doritos
>Niggasaywhat.png
>Litre Bottles of Mountain Dew and Large Packets of Doritos in various flavours rain down from the sky and decimate my party
>Manage to hang on somehow, take his health down to halfway
>Second phase activates
>Boss becomes nothing more than a TV displaying advertisements about various products such as Dr.Pepper, Fleshlights and random products from Asian territories with outlandish visuals
>The epic score for the game is muted to bring me gooks and nips shouting and screaming, murrican women telling me to wrap vagoo moulds around my penis and Dr.Pepper
>Unlike the rest of the game, these ads are 60FPS with no dips
Is this to your liking?
>>
I'll admit, I wanted SOAP shoes so badly after this. Good thing I didn't get them, I'd probably get my ass hurt.
>>
>>340117607
he'll call it an epic win because /v/ loves ironic meme humor
>>
I think the most important thing about product placement is consistency. You either go for that realism aspect where there's real items all over the place or you just make a lot of fake shit up. Trying to hit a middle ground doesn't work and is really jarring.

I know this is a very odd example but WWE 2k16 has some product placement with those pizza rolls in it. Everything else in that game is related to wrestling or WWE but there is one premade logo, one custom T-shirt that just has the totinos logo with a pizza roll on top of it. And in the banners on the arenas where the usual ads would be all you see are the 2k games logo, the WWE logo, maybe some generic signs saying things like "don't try this at home" and the totinos logo.

Totinos stands out because of that and it makes it shitty (though kind of hilarious) product placement.
>>
>>340117607

The thought of this is mildly entertaining, though depressing if it actually happened.
>>
If they are unobtrusive and make the game cheaper.
>>
File: mercedes benz.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mercedes benz.jpg
180 KB, 1920x1080
If its something like Rock Band and Guitar Hero using real life instrument brands, I can accept it. It makes sense that the in game characters are using these instruments.

If I start to see random Coke billboards, I start to get annoyed,

And if it's batshit insane like the Mercedes in Mario Kart, the sheer weirdness of it can be a bit entertaining.
>>
>>340117990
It depends on the scale, if it were an indie game it wouldn't be horrible.
>>
File: large.jpg (99 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
99 KB, 800x450
>>340118308
It would be worse.
>>
>that rockstar car in Mad Max
>>
>>340118210
>not maining Mercedes Wario
>>
>>340115567
Oh my fucking god I had no idea that was an ad for those stupid shoes.
>>
I'd like to say "never", but it really is kind of appropriate when the product would be very likely to exist in the setting of the game in that time period. Film example: Coca-Cola and McDonalds appear in The Fifth Element. There's no way it wouldn't exist in that world, let's face it. So, a game like Deus Ex could probably get away with similar products. (Not that I'd like them to do that.)
>>
>>340118437
That looks horrifying.

I'm sorry if the moment has passed, but memes will end me.
>>
I don't mind them if they're not pushed in your face or the camera focuses on the product even if the cutscene isn't related at all.
Stuff like the Coleman gear and the Roen collab in FFXV for example are okay imo
>>
>>340117264
I see this posted all the time, but I still don't know who this is
>>
>>340115567
>When would you say product placement is acceptable in a video game?

No. Not ever.

Maybe in PlayStation games
>>
>>340120976

Why is it okay in PlayStation's case?
>>
>>340115567
If it doesn't look forced. If there are ads for a product in places where you would expect to see ads and the ads don't clash with the atmosphere and the same design isn't over used and there are multiple ads.

If I walk into a subway tunnel and there is a Pepsi vending machine or I drive down the street and there is a Burger King billboard it can look fine if not more natural than a fake made up ad. If I'm in an office building and one of the same 2 redbull posters is on every single wall then it's going to looked forced.
>>
>>340115567
I watch H3h3 too!!!! TRIGGERED LOL *cough*
>>
>>340122928
wat
>>
File: yakuza2_12a.jpg (115 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yakuza2_12a.jpg
115 KB, 1024x768
>>340115567
When it's Japanese
>>
>>340123040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyYrrDKYZE
>>
>>340118210
Mercedes Karts is free DLC and so insanely out of the blue that I liked it
>>
>>340123945
If you bought a Wii U then you'd probably swallow whatever shit Nintendo feeds you anyway
>>
>>340124113
Fuck off and die console warrior.
>>
>>340124113
This, nintoddlers are used to eating shit.
>>
Oh okay, let's ruin this thread with console wars because my mommy wouldn't buy me the new Nintendostationbox.
>>
When it fits in universe and isn't obvious.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.