[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What video games do you consider to be timeless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
What video games do you consider to be timeless?
>>
Kingdom Hearts
>>
I'd say a lot of 2d side scrolling games hold up very well. I didn't play a lot of games when I was younger, but I revisited Super Mario World, SMB3, and Metroid on my Wii U and they've all been great.

I tried OoT and Super Mario 64 and the visuals ruined it. "retro" graphics can be timeless; n64/ps1 visuals just look bad.
>>
It's hard to find games that time hasn't ravaged to some degree. Even OoT, being (or at least close to being) my favorite game, has things about it that its successors did a lot better. But they never came in such a balanced and robust package since then.

That said, Mario 64 is probably another one. I love how it's basically a series of physics playgrounds where the level design isn't a means of confining the player to a specific way to play the game. You get a set of tools to use, a place to jump around in, and you can get really creative with how you choose to clear levels. The later games didn't really keep that.
>>
>>340094594
Tetris
>>
File: mariogalaxywp.jpg (941 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
mariogalaxywp.jpg
941 KB, 1440x900
>>
File: cv3.jpg (151 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
cv3.jpg
151 KB, 1440x900
>>340094883
Retro 3D is still retro, m8. The only thing that bothers me about them personally is how bad the framerate is in some of them (namely OoT). That said, it's not like the primitive look of 8-bit games is any less jarring to people who aren't conditioned to it. If looking like NES knock-offs didn't comprise a whole corner of the digital marketplace now, going back to those games would be just as jarring.
>>
>>340094594
Super Mario Bros 3 and World
>>
>>340095337
World maybe, but 3 is really boring after the NSMB games
>>
>>340095165
For some reason I don't feel like retro 3d is a "stye" so much as just a bad version of present 3d. My memories of playing Super Mario 64 a few years ago for the first time was a bunch of weird polygons glitching and awful textures that were distracting from gameplay. old 2d games don't have this.

I also think gameplay was easier to master when creating 2d games. SMW and Metroid run perfectly for what they are. OoT and Super Mario 64 had sloppy animations, bad cameras, and touchy controls because they were testing new waters.
>>
>>340095156
>a game that game out last gen
>timeless

>>340095472
3 and world are far better than NSMB
>>
>>340096501
>comparing Nintendo second-gen 2D to first-gen 3D

NES games weren't a style either, dude. They too only looked that way because of hardware limitation. SNES games would be much more analogous to something like GC/PS2 games, which are also well-known for aging gracefully.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.