[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just played through the Halo quadrilogy for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: worked fine for me btw.png (2 MB, 1165x1500) Image search: [Google]
worked fine for me btw.png
2 MB, 1165x1500
I just played through the Halo quadrilogy for the first time (via pic related) and I was honestly surprised.

The first game genuinely impressed me, partly because it's a console FPS and I wasn't expecting much, but mostly because it's like over a decade old and held up very well. The only mechanic that struck me as clunky and dated was vehicles murdering you by just tapping into you. I will say I can see how someone that hates asset reuse would get annoyed, but I thought it was cleverly done. I also really liked how the game went quasi survival horror half way through just as it was starting to get samey.

Halo 2 I also enjoyed. I appreciated the difficulty increase and new enemy types. I'd probably like it more than the first game if it didn't just abruptly stop and cut to credits. It feels like it was not finished or something, idk. Still a good time, though.

I gotta say, I don't get what you guys all see in Halo 3. I haven't played any of the multiplayer modes so maybe that's where the meat of the game is but it's certainly not in the canpaign. It was super short, much easier than the first two games (to the point where I had to turn the difficulty up to legendary and it still wasn't as hard as Halo 2 Heroic) and is it just me or did they cut the FOV in half? Was this like the first one a lot of you played or something and you're just nostalgic for it?

But then again maybe I just have a shit opinion because Halo 4 really didn't bother me that much. The QTEs felt out of place and the "activate 3 ____" segments seemed lazy, but overall I honestly enjoyed it more than 3. I liked stomping around in the Metal gears and that death star trench run was Hella cool. Again though, I haven't played the multiplayer so maybe that's where it gets all its hate.

I don't have any desire to buy any of the spinoff games but I see the ODST expansion is only $5. Worth it?
>>
You're actually pretty spot on.

And yes, the acclaim for Halo 3 and criticism of Halo 4 mostly stems from the multiplayer.

ODST is good, but it's one of those games that needs to be payed a certain way to really be appreciated.
>>
File: remove_snek.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
remove_snek.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>340093364
The overwhelming majority of people 1that praise Halo 3 played it as their first game in the series they owned, yes. There's a few Originalfags that unironically like 3 the most but most see it as a step down.
>>
>>340093924
What a based bird
>>
If you didn't like 3 then ODST won't do it for you
>>
For CE and 2 did you play with remastered graphics? If not, i'd say it's worth going back and playing through key parts with them just to see the changes, or watching the cutscenes for 2's new graphics online

>I gotta say, I don't get what you guys all see in Halo 3....

It's mostly because Halo 3 as a package had a lot going for it, even if the campaign wasn't as good as 2. It had a fuck ton of multiplayer modes and maps, it had a map editor, which was unusal for a console game, and a gigantic playerbase. Also, The Covenant from the campaign is pretty universally regarded as the best mission in the franchise

But there's also just a bunch of nostalgiafags and people who started Halo with 3 and think it's the best just because

>But then again maybe I just have a shit opinion because Halo 4 really didn't bother me that much.
People dislike 4 because of the multiplayer and the way it handled some story elements from the EU/novels, so you wouldn't notice. That said the novels are really good and you might wanna consider trying them if you want a deeper look at the univerese and the lore, there's a lot to it.

>I don't have any desire to buy any of the spinoff games but I see the ODST expansion is only $5. Worth it?

Absolutely. The game's only real flaw is that it was 60$ when it came out when it was really just a very large expansion pack, but the actual content that's there is fantastic. It also has the best soundtrack in the franchise which as you know by now, is quite a feat considering how good the OST is for the other games. But as >>340093605 says for ODST, you gotta be in a certain mindset. Play it on a lonely, rainy day.

>>340094248
I disagree, ODST's gameplay might be the same as 3's, but the tone, story, level design, etc is all completely different.
>>
>>340093364
Play ODST, it's definitely worth it.
>>
>>340093364
>I'd probably like it more than the first game if it didn't just abruptly stop and cut to credits. It feels like it was not finished or something,

That's because it wasn't finished. Bungie had to gut the whole game 9 months away from release and basically rebuild it from scratch, so the whole game was done in only 9 months.

There's a full 5 cut missions, and most of the missions that are in the final game had to be heavily modified.
>>
>>340093364
>Playing MCC instead of the original three games
Son
>>
>>340094660
What's the problem with playing TMCC campaigns?
>>
>>340093364
Halo 3 multi was everything everyone wanted from H2 multi a few years in

ODST was much more fun than H3 single IMO, but it's a very different paced game
>>
>>340094660
There;s no reason not to play MCC for the campaigns. You get a higher resolution, higher framerate, all of the little bugs and exploits kept intact, and optionally redone graphics for CE and 2.

>b-but the elites in 2 don't duel wield on MCC!

They do for me, pic related.

>>340094787
There isn't one. It's even ideal for the MP provided you don't run into matchmaking bugs which are sadly prevalent
>>
>>340094787
Remastered graphics ruin the lighting and overall atmosphere of the game (343 Guilty Spark, High Charity), allies and enemies no longer dual-wield, weird changes to level geometry, Halo CE & 2 being inferior PC ports, Halo 3 being a complete inferior ports, game still have glitches that were never fixed, Cortana and Miranda face changes, Cortana's in-game model, unnecessary changes to to level backgrounds, and CGI is at times not consistent with in-game.
>>
>>340095018
>Licking the ass of 343 shitty ports
Do yourselves a favor and just play the better originals.
>>
>>340095335
If only there was a button to switch to old graphics. Also how could you prefer to play the original 30 FPS versions when you can play the new 60 fps 1080p versions instead? That's just objectively a bad decision, just turn off the Anniversary graphics if you dislike them so much and enjoy the superior experience.

And like this guy said >>340095018 i've never had any issues with dual-wielding elites.
>>
>>340094660
There's literally no reason to not play the MCC versions at this point.

Going back to 360 Halo 3 was insufferable after playing at the higher FPS
>>
>>340094441
Halo 3 had less content at launch than any other halo game before it.

You're spot on about everything else.
>>
>>340094248
>If you didn't like 3 then ODST won't do it for you
I didn't like the Halo 3 campaign and I love ODST.
>>
>>340096135
It had more content with Forge alone.
>>
File: Arby n the Chief logo.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Arby n the Chief logo.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
Idk, I recently played the series for the first time as well OP, through the same way you did, and honestly, CE didn't grip me much, near the end I was actually begging for it to be over. I absolutely loved 2 and 3 though. 4 was pretty good too. Haven't played any MP though because no Xbox Gold. Also, what do you guys think of this series? This is honestly what got me into Halo.
>>
>>340095335
>Remastered graphics ruin the lighting and overall atmosphere of the game (343 Guilty Spark, High Charity)

I'll concede that in some spots the atmosphere in 343 guilty spark is worse, like the jungle, but the actual concept art for that area resembles how it does in CEA more then in the original game (forerunner arthecture in the concept art resembles the redone forerunner visual style more as well, ironically), but in other spots, such as the interior of the structure, CEA actually makes the tone better.

High charity suffers no worsening of atmosphere at all, i'd go as far as to say it makes it better since it's darker and the fog effects are thicker and look better.

You can also just, you know, play with the original graphics if you want. You aren't forced to use the new graphics in MCC

>allies and enemies no longer dual-wield
see
>>340095018

>weird changes to level geometry,
There's no changes to level geometry, but the new models for the new graphics don't always line up 1:1 so it the actual hitboxes of the geometry. Whcih is an issue, but it's a small one, and again, you can just use the original graphics.

>Halo CE & 2 being inferior PC ports
Mind clarifying? I know that in MP this means some of the superbounces are harder, but other then that I don't know how they are inferior. you also get more MP maps out of it.

>Halo 3 being a complete inferior ports
Again, please clarify.

>game still have glitches that were never fixed
Why would you want the bugs in the original game fixed? Didn't you say you were mad the superjumps and BXR and such aren't prwesent?

> Cortana and Miranda face changes
>Cortana's in-game model
Miranda's redone face in 2A looks fine. I agree cortana's is iffy, but the original face models in the origjnal version of Halo 2 looked garbage as well so eh.

>unnecessary changes to to level backgrounds
Gonna have to heavily disagree with you there, skyboxes are faithful and blow your mind just as much as the originals did.
>>
>>340096135
>4 player Co-op
>Campaign scoring and time trial
>Custom games and Forge options
>Theater mode
>Proper infection
>Less content
>>
>>340096339
Favorite machinima series for me, i have yet to watch the las 3 episodes though.
>>
>>34009336

ODST is the best halo you should buy it
>>
>>340096582
As in the season 7 episodes? Or the season 8 episodes? Cause Season 8 isn't on Machinima.
>>
>>340093364
ODST is story driven, and yeah totally worth it. You missed however the chance to meet buddies online through Bungie.net. Much like Halo 3, a lot of fun came through playing it back in the day.

Doing the Vidmasters was a memorable experience.

Reach has the best co-op, campaign, and firefight modes, and the worst MP from all bungie halo games.
>>
File: 6MQzaWB.jpg (157 KB, 750x1920) Image search: [Google]
6MQzaWB.jpg
157 KB, 750x1920
>>340095859
>enjoy the superior experience
Yeah I will.
>>
>>340096913
Season 8
>>
>>340097056
>those 360p youtube screenshots on the left
Well done anon, you sure showed him!
>>
>>340095965
Halo 3 MCC has hit detection problems worse than the original, lighting issues, audio issues, and has aiming issue not in the original. I rather play all three games at 30 fps then play a pile a crap that doesn't even feel like the originals.

>>340096449
The level High Charity, it's supposed to be dark where you are forced to use your flashlight for most of the mission.
>>
>>340096453
>4 player Co-op
Shorter campaign
>Campaign scoring and time trial
Less maps
>Custom games and Forge options
Are you actually implying that Halo 2 didn't have custom games?
And forge is pretty pointless without Sandbox which to this day sits behind a paywall.
>Theater mode
Hey speaking of paywalls, did Halo 3 ever release all its maps for free like Halo 2 did? No? Huh...
>Proper infection
You can shit on honor system zombies all you want, it's still a way to play infection. Hell, it's the only reason infection exists at all.
>Less content
Yes, less content.
The enemy variety is also much worse.
The OST is shorter and has less tracks.
the FOV is worse.
The list goes in and on.
>>
>>340097457
>The level High Charity, it's supposed to be dark where you are forced to use your flashlight for most of the mission.

It's DARKER in the new graphics though.
>>
>>340097312
Yeah I know, I did show him that a fucking remake can't even recreate different effects in the game.:P
>>
>>340093364
How good is is the MCC multiplayer? Is the player count high or pretty much dead?
>>
>>340097556
THERE IS A LEVEL CALLED GRAVEMIND AND A LEVEL CALLED HIGH CHARITY. HIGH CHARITY IS A FLOOD LEVEL AND ALMOST PITCH BLACK IN THE ORIGINAL. It seems that someone here doesn't understand English, I meant the Flood level you dingus.
>>
>>340096449
Anti MCC posting is at this point mostly a meme. I played with a full party of 16 people with /v/ recently and it worked pretty flawlessly
>>
>>340097789
I know you meant High Charity and not Gravemind faggot.
>>
I'll admit Halo 3 lacked a bit in campaign, but The Covenant is still the best level in the series.
>>
>>340097726
It works well for the most part, i went back to it last week after not playing since H5 was released and i was gladly surprised when i started finding matches in 1-2 minutes.

BTB, Team Slayer and Infection are definitely active, i guess game-specific playlists like CE and 2 could be less active and with longer search times.
>>
>>340097821
It works fine, but I can't get into a game in less than 5 minutes before. I'm assuming the population has just lagged.
>>
>>340097726
>How good is is the MCC multiplayer? Is the player count high or pretty much dead?
I tried playing matchmaking yesterday and had no problems getting into matches for the Team Slayer and Halo 2 Classic playlists, so while I can't speak for all the playlists people are playing the game online.

That being said, the best way to play is to just organize a session with 15 other people. Then you can play on whatever map you want.
>>
>>340097473
Alright, i was trying to have an inteligent conversation with you but you're too close minded.

>>340097897
That guy is fucking retarded, stop responding to him. He probably is from /hg/.
>>
>>340097897
Then you are fucking stupid because you could play the entire High Charity mission in H2A without your flashlight while in the original you need your flashlight to see where you are going. Just because you are a blind 343 shill who would go as far as to buy broken ass games doesn't make your shit opinion right, but what am I'm saying all of /v/ have the minds of mentally challenged children who were dropped on their heads when they were young anyway. If you are a true Halo fan just post in /hg/ they will tell you how everything 343 touches is pure shit.
>>
>>340097945
My only complaint halo 3 is that it was too short. The music and art style and general story were pretty spot on.
>>
>>340098358
Yeah and I'm pretty sure you posted in /hg/ once and got torn apart by us 343 shill, so you faggots I'm out. Enjoy your broken game faggots.>:)
>>
>>340098438
Fuck off Kai
>>
>>340095018
Is this what aiming on controller is like?
>>
>>340093364
You have posted a good and honest summary of these games. However, Halo 4 is shit.
>>
>>340097945
Was it the one with the two shiled towers, and the hornets?
It was pretty sweet.

I still like Long Night of Solace Better or Pillar of Autmn.
Fuck, I will do it. I say Reach had the best campaign to the date, on average.
>>
>>340098747
No
>>
File: H2A elite physics 4chan.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
H2A elite physics 4chan.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>340098747
I was playing with a friend who lives across the world and a shit connection and I had a full second and a half of input lag, pic related was from the same session.
>>
>>340098358
>Alright, i was trying to have an inteligent conversation
All you did was shitposting a greentext list and now that you've been blown the fuck out with facts, you're running away but not before you can have the last word.

Typical Halo 3 babby.
>>
>>340099165
Those were opinions you posted, not facts m8
>>
There is absolutely nothing wrong with H5's multiplayer and I don't understand the hate it gets

Campaign fine I agree with most of the criticisms
But I don't understand the hate for Multi beyond the common hate for any change
>>
>>340099508
I wouldn't say there's nothing wrong, but I agree it's very good and it's probably my second favorite halo MP behind 2.
>>
>>340099346
>less maps is an opinion
>smaller FOV is an opinion
>shorter campaign is an opinion
>the fact that maps in H2 were all given away for free is an opinion
>the fact that sandbox is still paid DLC is an opinion
K
>>
>>340099695
You can buy an MP disc for 2 bucks these days.
>>
>>340096298
Forge was useless at launch. It's wasn't till the heroic map pack (which you had to pay for) that forge realized it's full potential . It's hilarious because most of you bungiefag would've crucified 343 this but as long as it was based bungie fucking your ass's it was perfectly okay.
>>
>>340099508
most non-shitposters agree h5 had good multiplayer. had they handled the campaign as well as the multi, halo 5 would've been fucking rad.
>>
>>340094787
Faggot's heard that MCC was broken on launch and continue to spout memes despite never having played MCC or used an Xbone in general.

The campaigns work perfectly and are the definitive versions of the games, 4 is the only one with some lingering glitches. The MP is improved but it will never recover from the shitshow at launch,
>>
>>340099978
>Forge was useless at launch
I wouldn't say useless, i played a lot of cool and fun gametypes made in Sandtrap, Last Resort and High Ground like Sharks, Pirates and Stairway to heaven and Infection of course. They were basic Forge maps but still fun enough.
>>
>>340098438
/hg/ is a hug box for halo 3 babys to talk about super awesome and perfect halo 3 is.its basically like visiting bungie.net forums without leaving 4chan
>>
>>340099508
Halo 5 MP is fuckin amazing and has lot of potential, i'll start a riot if 343 doesn't announce future updates and content next week on E3.
>>
>>340100603
>/hg/ is a hug box for halo 3 babys
More like CE-2 nostalgiafags. Either way is wrong though, i'm on /hg/ all the time and Halo is the least they talk about.
>>
>>340100862
>>340100603
>tfwback in 2012 and 2013 /hg/ actually talked about and played halo with almost no gay circlejerking
>>
>>340093364
The love for Halo 3 comes from the 2 better levels, The Ark and The Covenant and a couple of meme moments (ie 2 scarabs).

People like to forget the slog of mediocrity which is the whole first half of the game, you need to go through to get to them.
>>
>>340101218
Where did that gay shit come from anyway?
Fuck that general
>>
It's pointless trying to understand why people loved 3 now
You had to be there, man
>>
>>340096339
It was okay at first, it gets stale though pretty fast. But when it comes to Halo machima, I prefer the early seasons of Red vs Blue
>>
>>340101854
>Xbox 360 library still relatively shit
>Sold 50m more copies first day than Halo 2
>Every one online every day playing Halo
>4 player campaign

Is it really that hard to understand?
>>
>>340102301
>50m more copies
grossed 50m more first day*
>>
>>340093364
Op is right? Dafuq
>>
>>340097312
>>340097056

This is because it started with Halo PC, all of those screenshots on the left are 1:1 of what Halo PC looked like. It had a lot of weird shader and mist changes.
>>
>>340094248
>If you didn't like 3 then ODST won't do it for you
kys my man
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.