[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm about to give this game a shot again, I got my shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: header.jpg (22 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
22 KB, 460x215
i'm about to give this game a shot again, I got my shit kicked in the last time I tried to play this. so before I get started any tips to help me better enjoy the game? this kinda feels like a game that should not have been a rougelike
>>
>shit kicked in

what tips? it's about a boat sailing slowly while fetching text prompts.

>someone actually thought it counts as a gameplay
>>
It's been a minute since I played it but generally a few starting tips would be
1) Take the deal from the dude with the knife. Every cent counts.
2) Avoid combat unless absolutely necessary. Rewards for beating enemies are not worth the cost in repairs
3) Make a will so you can pass on your stuff to your next of kin (i.e. Next playthrough)
Other than that just explore and make your own story.
>>
Edit the game files and tone down the resource consumption and up the ship speed to something more reasonable. The game is significantly more enjoyable when you're not a hungry slug
>>
wasn't there some trick that involved starting as poet and then ending your game to give your heir an advanced start?
>>
How's Fallen London and why isn't it on Android?
>>
>>340058526
you're meant to work through several characters rather than do everything with the one character. just make sure your will is always in order.
>>
>>340059096
Sell ship, buy biggest deck gun you can afford, sink ship, choose whatchamacallit that allows you to inherit the gun.
>>
File: sunless sea14b.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1969) Image search: [Google]
sunless sea14b.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1969
I suggest doing some mission and figuring out trade routes, buying cheap in one place and selling it at another and vice versa.

It's pretty comfy, has interesting little stories and an eerie atmosphere.
>>
>>340058526
>this kinda feels like a game that should not have been a rougelike

jesus christ yes, the difficulty completely turned me off of trying to get anywhere, you get punished so fucking hard doing literally anything
>>
>>340059093
This desu.
Cheat infinite money, buy the best ship, then just start exploring.

The game design is so fucking bad in this game, they should've just write a book
>>
>>340058817

that's how the game is advertised though so i don't see any problems
>>
>>340058526
>kinda feels like a game that should not have been a rougelike

This to be honest, there's not nearly enough randomness to it.
>>
>>340058526
Its been a few months since I played but I'll tell you what I can remember.

>Find the Stone Lions and ferry stone back and forth. You can do this like 5 times.
>bigger engines consume more fuel so don't be too hasty to get them
>do the knife dudes quest, the place you need to go is usually in the north-eastern area, 10 fuel should be enough to get you there and it's super cheap to buy from the location you arrive in
>the favor of the Khanate isn't worth the resources it costs
>20 fuel is roughly enough to get you from one side of the map and back in the starter ship
>eat crew if you have to, I've not found a downside to it, might have changed
>Full Power To The Engines uses up whats left of your current fuel, so if you're going to use it, do it while your fuel gaige is full to get the most out of it
>save all your money and buy the boat thats one step off a dreadnaught, the dreadnaught is too fuel hungry
>always plan your route and set out with a goal, choose between a route thats as direct as possible if there aren't many ports between London and your destination to minimise fuel usage, or stop at as many ports as possible to offset fuel usage with free fuel from the dude in London you report to
>>
>>340058526

I've got like 150 hours in this fucking game.

You won't progress quickly into a new ship unless you take a few things into account:

1) If you can get a port report, get it. They have buffed Port Reports since release, and they also give you a small amount of fuel as well as some coin. Gather every single port report you can.

2) They have nerfed this, but on the first island to the south of Fallen London (the name escapes me at the moment, sorry) comb the beach and look for something shiny. For the first few times you do this, you can get a Judgement Egg which is very well priced, and is required for lots of quests that give you bigger loot.

3) Load up on First Officers and Crew Members. Each has a quest that will give you a fuck load of good loot, unique items, etc.. Except perhaps the Adventuress. Her quest is pretty useless, although interesting.

4)Don't upgrade your ship unless you also have half of its value to invest in new supplies, fuel, and cargo to sell. Lots of people upgrade from the small steamer to a frigate or the cargo ship and have no cash to invest in any resources. Don't be that guy.

5) Turn off your lights if terror is low and you are around light sources (island coasts, buoy's, etc..) because your lights eat up a full 50% of your fuel expenditure. The less you use your lights, the more fuel you have to put around.

6) Go back to London often. You are meant to constant return here at the very least every couple of months IG, or every couple of weeks if you are starting out.

7) The admiralty will ask you to pick up intel at some islands after you've made enough port reports. This is E-Z money.

7) GET HIGH PAGES AND PLAY CHESS AT THE PRINCIPALS OF CORAL. SERIOUSLY.

8) TALK TO THE SPIRIT AT CORAL. TAKE THE PARTY MEMBER HE GIVES YOU. SERIOUSLY.

9) EXPLORE GODFALL WITH A MINIUMUM OF 10 FIREFOX CANDLES. YOU. WILL. BE. RICH.

10) Salt Stone runs out, but is a good way to make early money if you have the cargo space.
>>
>>340060205
I see a problem when dev is insecure enough to put tedious shit in because they feel like text prompts aren't enough
>>
git good. everything was so much more rewarding to explore after earning it.
>>
>>340061124

Protip: Don't explore Godfall until you have done #8. You will want the officer that the Spirit gives you before making any dives at Godfall.

>>340061156

What tedious shit?
>>
>>340061402
>What tedious shit?

slow
boat
>>
File: 1431313017749.png (303 KB, 396x554) Image search: [Google]
1431313017749.png
303 KB, 396x554
>>340061124
>no. 8
[GARBLED WATERY YELLING]

but seriously, I upgraded to the navy ship thing, not the dreadnought or big merchant ship or the one you get from the moth, and then did a few runs to load up on sunlight.

Now I got a shitload of echos, but i don't know what to do. Every quest I want to move further in needs a fluke core, and with the way my map is set up, I think, there's like only one spot for those to spawn, and I still kinda suck at fighting them.

What do?
also be wary of the carnelian exile or w/e, the chick with the bob and glasses.
it sounds like a cool quest, but you're gonna go through hell and back and lose everything in the process from what i understand

also play with the music on
one of the few games i would play without listening to podcasts
>>
File: Sunless Sea gameplay.webm (1 MB, 535x301) Image search: [Google]
Sunless Sea gameplay.webm
1 MB, 535x301
amazing game
>>
>>340062787
also also like fuck hell do I want to make a movie in this world

on my oath as capt faggot sally I shall one day be in a position to make it happen
>>
>>340062849
The only way this could be more accurate was if he was reading a book at the same time.
>>
>>340062787

Fluke Cores can ALWAYS be found east or south of the Drowned King's hold. Certain spawns are tied to specific island coordinates that are randomly made at the start of each new game. You will always find Mt. Nomad between The Chapel of Lights and the most northern abyss, for example.

Fluke Cores can also spawn on the eastern most part of the map- so they usually spawn around the island where you can collect sun in the mirror box. I don't know why I can't remember any of the island names right now. Oh fuck, it's Aestival. Go to the Aestival Island or FathomKing's Hold, and you will find Fluke Cores.

If you have a flensing weapon and a cannon, I cannot recommend Fluke-Core hunting enough. It is an easy, guaranteed income from the University if you keep collecting those Fluke Cores. They are worth a fuck load of dosh. I fight those for cash, and then the ancient crabs around Aestival for secrets because two of those mother fuckers, when properly dissected, can fill your fragments meter like crazy.
>>
>>340063687
he's reading it offscreen
>>
>>340061892

This is the universe buddy. It's the dawn of gasoline and the end of the steam era, during Victoria's reign and right before the Edwardian period. You're in a place that scares everyone but the mongols shitless. This is an isometric exploration game in an under-ground super-salt lake, you knew what you were signing up for.

That said, by mid game I can get from one side of the map to the other in under three minutes with the proper engine and bonuses. Of course the start is slow. Fucking get good.
>>
its like a year since i played this

did they add anything cool?
i remember reading about some s(z)ubmarine expansion
>>
>>340059228

Because iOS is superior to Android.
>>
>>340064370
>i remember reading about some s(z)ubmarine expansion
Soonâ„¢
>>
>>340064370

It more or less has the same content from summer 2015. No major story expansions yet.

The biggest increase in content was from October 2014-February 2015, and then they more or less stopped.
>>
>>340064240
wow ur retarded
>>
>>340061124

holy shit how did you get 150 hours out of this? were you playing a lot during EA?
>>
>>340061892

the game clearly isn't meant for you so why are you shit posting?
>>
>>340058526

Shit and boring game t.bh pham.
>>
>>340064821

Yeah, I still remember when the combat was turn-based and played like a card game. It was pretty bad.

I played mostly between summer 2014-2015, haven't played it too much in the last half a year or so because I've gotten every ending but the secret ending.
>>
THE SUN
>>
>>340064902
why dont you fuck off and dont dictate how and when should someone express his/her opinion on something champ?
>>
>>340064731

>buys game that is clearly a slow text based story game
>complains it's tedious and text based

who is retarded exactly?
>>
>>340065098

This is why you never, ever grab a fuck-load of funding and scientists from above-ground, ask them to build an artificial star in order to control Fallen London, have that star become sentient because they have yet to realize that stars are gods and have powers in the unterzee, and then have that artifical star mind-control hundreds of your best naval officers, scientists, and engineers to finish its construction and br THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN
>>
File: 1431942219511.png (315 KB, 643x865) Image search: [Google]
1431942219511.png
315 KB, 643x865
>>340063883
I should have said more.

I've tooled around the Drowned King's Hold for hours, where everyone and their mother says they spawn, and I've never seen one.

I know the map layout is semi fixed, but I think my Aestival is close enough to another island it screws up the spawns or something. I've never found one there, either.
One, in about 5 hours of searching.

I also still don't know what to do otherwise.
I was building toward retirement with my kingdom on Aestival, but I think I need a fluke core there too.
>>
>>340065349

it was a legitimate question but thanks for answering in a non-shitposting way, champ
>>
>>340065509

Interesting. There have been, on some occasion, issues with spawning. I never once had Mt. Nomad spawn once, for example, until I went into the Sunless Sea map script files and found that the coordinates for Nomad's spawn point were directly on top of Mt. Palmerston, and therefore was never spawning in the sea.

The only way to fix that is to start a new lineage or go into the script text file, find the lines on Fluke Cores, and switch their coordinates.

Can you not buy Fluke Cores at Irem? I can't remember if you can, but I believe they added a lot of the trade at Irem specifically to counter-act these little bugs of theirs, which due to the ridiculously sloppy coding is very difficult to fix.
>>
>>340065485
that shit is so fucking cool, though.

Imagine gliding through the gloaming on your steamboat, eventually reaching that glow in the southwest, seeing that spiky shit on bouys and bits of rocks, coming around a bigger rock and seeing this massive machine, with parts moving for a purpose you cant fathom, brightly glowing and humming to itself.

This game has the bossest lore.
>>
>>340065850

I sailed right under and past that fucker. I have been beyond all four corners of the Unterzee. I have seen some shit.
>>
>>340065641
sure thing champ now just wait for your janitorial application to come through
>>
I love the music for this but in light of how terrible I am at the game I pretty much listen to it for hours while I die repeatedly.

I don't suppose anyone knows of songs that are similar to the soundtrack? Eerie, occasionally upbeat, old-timey sailor?
>>
>>340065805
Thanks for the tip that things can possibly go wrong like that, friendo.
Cores can not be bought at Irem. I checked that from the wiki, though, which isn't always up to date.

>>340066042
are you now an empty man-shaped shellyou didn't eat your navigator, did you?
>>
>>340066265
Would also love this.

The first time you hear the bagpipes sailing towards the hell place is amazing.
Really it's amazing everytime.
Perfect sound for a place that can be jovial, hot, and full of adventure, but also a high promise of danger and loss of life, and a complete disregard for the laws of reality
>>
>>340062787
> also play with the music on

I found the music got samey after a while. I can recommend the following maritime-themed albums as substitutes for the games OST:

Elegi - Sistereis
Gavin Bryars, Alter Ego & Philip Jeck - The Sinking of the Titanic
Boxhead Ensemble - Dutch Harbor: Where the Sea Breaks its Back
Spheruleus - Voyage
Xela - The Dead Sea
>>
>>340059393
how do you get the will? google says I have to buy a study? that can't be the only way
>>
File: 20160605135731_1.jpg (240 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
20160605135731_1.jpg
240 KB, 1366x768
>>340066265

I listen to Cliff Martinez' 'The Knick' OST while playing Sunless Sea and have a great time. I feel like it fits the game better than the original ST for the game.

>>340066271

Not even I know what I have seen.

>>340067124

You need to own property before you can have a child and make them a scion.

You must have a townhouse at the very least. Ideally a townhouse, get a woman knocked up, and give the scion enough trinkets that they get obsessed with the zee. That is the best way to get all bonuses after death or completion.
>>
>>340067049
>>340068141
Thanks for the recommendations, anons! I'll give them a look.
>>
File: 20160605140730_1.jpg (259 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
20160605140730_1.jpg
259 KB, 1366x768
Post Cargo Holds and Captain Stats, faggots.
>>
>>340067049
Don't forget Good Ship Venus.
>>
>>340058526
how is this game as far as lovecraftian elements go? I loved darkest dungeon I think it really captured the sense of insanity and morbid atmosphere perfectly.
>>
>>340058526
the worst parts are the slow boating and battles
>>
>>340069173

This game is 'lovecraftian' I suppose, but it's terribly unique. I am cautious to compare it to lovecraft solely because it's dark and mysterious- it is very much its own world, with its own lore and Gods and superstitions. If you like Lovecraft but want something entirely new and unpredictable, Sunless Sea is a great game.
>>
Was there any kind of reward for delivering the Ice-Child?
The embittered old salt-dog that I am I neglected the quest unless I was already sailing near the objectives, so he did melt, yet I sometimes can't help wondering what he would be like, had he survived.

Also is the anyway to completely nuke the apes? They really set me on edge the most, despite being one of the less "magically" creepy things in the game.

Third point, it seems like most of the locations on the southern edge are text dungeons. Most of the them don't have much interaction with the rest of the islands beyond needing stats or trade goods to advance bits. I just worried about any major risks. Are they worth it? I do like all the lore, but there is a bit of content fatigue.
>>
>>340070940

Kingseater should be avoided. The Chelonate is very very niche. You will go to Kingseater only to get the best engine in the game.

That said, Varchas/The Entire Cornelian Coast/Aestival/other southern islands are ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT. Their stories seem more ambiguous than most, but that is intentional- you are never supposed to figure out much of everything or anything happening around there, as the culture and traditions are crazy even by unterzee standards. They have amazing benefits, items, etc.. and when properly done can yield game-changing bonuses that can save you from a failed run.
>>
>>340060223
>LOLSORANDUMBXD
FUCKING KILL YOURSELF
but nah, if you are interested in roguelikes id suggest getting wasted when that comes out on the 7th, I got it from a humble monthly bundle and it's pretty nice so far.
>>
Hoo-ray for low res mode.
I'm the same capt who can't find a Colossial Fluke and also doesn't know what to do with all these echos.

>>340071436
Thanks for the guidence, mate.
I think the wiki mostly stopped before those places were fleshed out, so I didn't want to spend resources in those places without knowing a little of what may happen.

God, the writing in this game is so great.
>>
>>340072062

You are loaded on cash and you have good weaponry. The south shouldn't be an issue for you what so ever, i'm surprised you haven't done more of it.

Be very careful if you want to start exploring past the map though- done improperly, sailing north or south off of the map can and will kill you/end your run.
>>
>>340072642
I've explored the map, but not into the southern areas much. I've mostly hit them for their port reports on the way counter clockwise down and up to 6.
I was hustling for other quests, I think.
I am also just balls at the combat, when I do need to fight.
>>
>>340072934

Abuse your engine- go backwards, take hard stops. Always initiate attacks from behind, and maximize every stat which increases your weapon range while also increasing your veils as much as possible to lower your ship's visibility to monsters.

If the enemy has no area of effect attack, ram your ship right into their fucking asshole and swirl around a 360 degree pattern so they can never attack you. Monsters can now spin 180 degrees quickly and counter this, but ships can't.

Always stay on the very limit of your weapon range, so you can easily reverse and make monsters follow you while also continuing to shoot them.

Abuse the fuck out of your Blue Scintillack. You should be tapping it like crazy.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.