[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else think the combat in this game sucked? >can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: DRAGNORlogoDRAGON.png (97 KB, 600x293) Image search: [Google]
DRAGNORlogoDRAGON.png
97 KB, 600x293
Did anyone else think the combat in this game sucked?

>can only queue one action at a time
>can't deviate from tank-healer-dps archetypes
>combat is so stats and item based there's no skill involved, just don't be braindead and heal up if you're about to die
>only the mage gets fun abilities
>>
>>340017068

No. I fucking loved it. Honestly the most enjoyable RPG in terms of gameplay that I played since Baldur's Gate. Pausing and setting up abilities was satisfying as fuck for me..
>>
>>340017068
Eh, I played KOTOR before I played this so it felt like a major improvement to me
>>
>>340017442
What do I need to do so I can enjoy the combat? I think I messed up with leveling stats and picking abilities.
>>
Rogue mid-late game was a fuckton of fun. However, compared to mage it required a lot of thinking outside the box with weapon switching, poisons, traps and stealth.

If anything warriors were just badly designed
>>
>>340017732

I played a rogue mostly. I picked abilities that increased my damage at close range, and avoided the archery tree all together because that is by far the most boring.

If you didn't roll with Archery and still found it boring, then there isn't much you can do. You either enjoy the combat or you don't. Shield bashing enemies as Alistair, Freezing them as Morrigan, and healing / turning them to stone as Wynne I found very satisfying. Outside of combat, their banter was pretty great because Morrigan does not get along with any of them.

Back to the point though, this combat style isn't something that's going to be universally enjoyed and I can't think of any tricks to enjoy it other than setting to a hard difficulty and seeing if you enjoy the strategy element involved.
>>
origins has good combat mechanics that was fucked by a few utterly broken skills stats that made the game super fucking easy. Mages are legit OP in this game.
>>
>>340017068
Did you like the combat in the sequels?
>>
>>340018975
I haven't played the sequels. I'm starting with DAO to see if I like it and want to play the other games.
>>
>>340017068
Huh, I just started this game for the first time a couple of days ago.

I went with Dwarf Warrior using sword and shield. What should I be building towards? Barring that I have a magi who just got kicked outta the tower.
>>
>>340017068
>can only queue one action at a time
I've never been in a situation where I needed to queue more things at once, but I guess that's a legitimate complaint.
>can't deviate from tank-healer-dps archetypes
Potions heal better than mages, a well-built rogue can offtank in most situations, and all three classes can deal decent damage both in melee and at range.
>combat is so stats and item based there's no skill involved, just don't be braindead and heal up if you're about to die
Try harder difficulties and see how that approach works for you. Every single stun and knockdown ability you have is an important asset, large fights are unwinnable without battlefield control, scouting out and nuking enemy casters is crucial, and aggro management is a difference between easy victory and a messy defeat. Healspam and rest of the party on autopilot only works on normal.
>only the mage gets fun abilities
Mages are boring, desu. There is a number of spells you must take if you want to be worth a party slot, and most of the time you will be using those spells and those spells alone. I'd rather have two rogues and two warriors and combo their abilities and positioning for victory than main the mage and wait for the ice blast to come off cooldown.
>>
>>340019852
Warriors are generally meant to stay alive and keep aggro, so ideally you'd build for 135 defense templar and champion spec. With a dwarf you'll easily reach 100% magic resist as well. You'll have decent STR because you need to wear the heaviest armor and shield you can find, but don't bother improving your damage output beyond that. As long as you are alive and center of attention the rogues will bring all the DPS you need, and as long as nothing can kill you you'll eventually win any fight solo.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.