[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the modern Silent Hill games actually bad or just bad compared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: 91wBHxseKIL._SL1500_.jpg (389 KB, 1303x1500) Image search: [Google]
91wBHxseKIL._SL1500_.jpg
389 KB, 1303x1500
Are the modern Silent Hill games actually bad or just bad compared to the Original games?
>>
Bad compared to the originals, still had a blast playing homecoming and downpour.
>>
>>340003624
I agree with what anon said here.
>>
>>340003624
This.

Homecoming was pretty damn good, actually. Downpour would've been too, if not for the shitty frame rate.
>>
File: 1297302700087.jpg (7 KB, 268x260) Image search: [Google]
1297302700087.jpg
7 KB, 268x260
>>340003394
I got the alien ending the first time I played through this shit. that should be a hidden ending. what the fuck?
>>
>>340004240
Also, Downpour's enemies were pretty bland, and the "options" throughout the game don't do much of anything.

And fuck whoever thought having Murphy lose his held weapons MULTIPLE TIMES in the story was a good idea.
>>
Opinions of Homecoming and Downpour are changing all the time it seems.

Homecoming was alright. Shattered Memories was amazing. Downpour was poor.

Imagine a Shattered Memories with more depth and gameplay and a fleshed out world in UE4 or something.
>>
>>340004654
Downpour would've been amazing if they fixed >>340004240 and >>340004453

Though, I still wasn't a fan of the Otherworld sequences.
>>
Team Silent was GOAT
>>
I liked homecoming a lot, but i dropped downpour because of the shit tier combat.
>>
Homecoming is terrible any way you look at it but Downpour is alright.
>>
File: sh4 vs downpoor.jpg (132 KB, 760x959) Image search: [Google]
sh4 vs downpoor.jpg
132 KB, 760x959
>>340003394
They are both bad AND terrible SH games.
They completely lack the subtlety and depth Team Silent's games had, and just about every single one of them also clearly got all their inspiration (and art-style) from the god-awful SH Movie(s).

SH0 might've been interesting addition to the series, but the way it handles its themes and tells the story make it a big failure. It tries to "explain" things that didn't need explanation, and just manages to screws up the original lore & even logic! Has poor gameplay and recycless SH2 & Movie's elements

Homecoming = wasted potential. The first "next gen" SH game, that somehow ended up looking worse than the previous-gen games?? Tried to do the RE4 to SH-series, which technically means action-izing the gameplay, which really ain't the series' purpose. Looks and feels like a SH Movie -ripoff.

Downpour seemed like it might FINALLY do "next-gen" SH game right by, not copying the SH2's themes & designs. Shame that the game still did recycle tons of SH2 material, while skipping a lot of that "subtle-ness". The gameplay, visuals and whole tech were broken as well, and there's technically no story!
Also, it's the first game to not have Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack, and it really shows. Instead, we got Korn and the guy behind Dexter TV series.

Only western SH game I have actually liked was the Shattered Memories, to my own surprise as well.
It got plenty of unnecessary flak even before it was released; I'm guilty of this as well. The moment you realize that it is not a remake of the original SH, but it's very own entity merely utilizing your own memories and expectations of things against you, the game actually becomes a fascinating, atmospheric experience. Cons: Not really scary and puzzles are poor.

>>340004420
Me too.
My jaw fucking dropped at that point.

That being said, I still consider HC the most tolerable of the unholy shit-trio of 0rigins-HC-DP.
>>
>>340006079
you got that backwards.
Both are very shitty SH games, but at least HC fucking WORKS, and does not suffer from silky smooth 5 fps + snailpace streaming textures.
>>
File: 84287171.jpg (80 KB, 492x559) Image search: [Google]
84287171.jpg
80 KB, 492x559
>>340006195
That face. Ew.
>>
>>340003394

Really derivative. Oh wow I've played this game before when it was interesting and called 1,2,3.

At best you get people who fanboy over the original trilogy and just ape it.
>>
>>340006195
>downpour

More like downGRADE.

AMIFUCKINGRIGHT ANON????
>>
>tfw tried to play multiple silent hill games
>everytime after i end up having horrible nightmares

plus i have pretty poor eye sight and all the dark areas in these games really dont help my situation much
>>
>>340003394
Silent hill 1-4 are good.

Sm and origins are passable, depending on how much lore matters to you.

Homecoming, bom, half the mobile games, and downpour are shit.

If we had to go outside of games the comics and second movie are pretty shitty too, with the first movie having very few redeemable factors.
>>
>>340006528
I guess you meant... DownPOOR?

>>340006738
>Sm and origins are passable, depending on how much lore matters to you.
I loved SM, but can't stand Origins, because it's a total lore-rape, with shit gameplay and writing on top.

SM at least doesn't try to jam itself to the original canon, no matter how much it cleverly pretends to do so. This is one of the main reasons it's such an fascinating, surprising experience.
>>
Homecoming is massively average. Shattered Memories isn't even a Silent Hill game and Downpour is broken. Don't even attempt to put yourself through Downpour. You will regret it.
>>
>>340003624
Nailed it, same for me. I liked Homecoming, but admit it's not a good SH game. It's still enjoyable and nailed the music, creature design, and exploration. Story was pretty good too aside from a few obvious plot holes imo.
>>
>>340006282
> Homecoming works
> certain enemies can stunlock you to death and vice versa
> puzzles don't work if have to quit during them, or if you take too long
> bosses qtes can randomly not work leading to deaths
Homecoming had just as many shit glitches as downpour.
>>
>>340007097
>Homecoming had just as many shit glitches as downpour.
I've beat HC amazing two times now, and never had any other technical problems with it than the inventory quick keys being fucking idiotic, resulting way too many wasted healing items. No idea what you mean with the puzzles.

Meanwhile, DP lagged like fuck, had problems loading entire sections in time, controls were some of the clunkiest and illogical shit I've had the pleasure of experiencing, I was more than once unable to pick up supplies when I REALLY would've needed them, and you can literally trap yourself by accidentally throwing important melee items.
>>
>>340003394
Shattered memories is legitimately fantastic, and probably beats out Silent Hill 4 for the number 4 spot in my favorites list.

The others are pretty mediocre though. Homecomings general plot was kind of interesting(The Sacrifice/bargain angle, not the rest), but the delivery was ass, and the gameplay was way too action oriented.

Downpour was just bland in all areas. Didn't stand out particularly, didn't majorly suck much either.

Origins was just garbage from start to finish.
>>
>>340006874
I like origins on a gameplay level, and even characters personal conflict level. Story itself was shit and enemies weren't great outside of the parents bosses. But gameplay wise I liked the way heavier weapons were used and utilized and thought something like that would make a great addition if continued. Like instead of breaking weapon bullshit that downpour had too much of, just have specific items that deal a ton and help immensely in escaping or running.

Sm it's the total opposite. I love the story and wish more were done in that vein with some polish, but I absolutely despise run and hide gameplay with extended chases that get boring very fast, and the lack of various monsters. Yeah the creatures morphing were neat, but there should have been more than just them, like trap monsters or such.
>>
>>340007827
I just can't stand Origin's nor Downpoor's gameplay. Both games feel like they were made to torture the player.

I agree with SM though. As a horror game, it's laughable. But it is a superb, atmospheric experience of its own.
>>
To keep it going, which comic would you want adapted into a silent hill game?

Bonus points if you find a way to make it happen without it being incredibly shit.
>>
I really liked homecoming
I tried to play 3 once but it was just too dated, the combat felt terrible as well

Are the remakes of SH any good
>>
>>340003394
Downpour tried it's best.
The writing was wonderful. You could tell the Czechs liked the series.
The gameplay, though was awful.
Homecoming's was arguably worse.
>>
>>340007489
>Origins was just garbage from start to finish.
You have shit taste anon. Origins is a good prequel to the original silent hill game. The game was made for a handheld and it's honestly way better than shattered memories. The game gives you more tense moments than shattered memories' predictable gameplay: If the world freezes over you run otherwise nothing scary is going to happen and it's just a walking simulator. The psych stuff was interesting, but honestly it doesn't beat Origins in terms of gameplay. With Shattered Memories the running sequences are easy as hell and I beat the game multiple times without dying once.
Of all the silent hill games after 4 origins the best job of staying true to the source.
>>
>>340008981
No. If 3 was too dated for you might just have to bear it or skip them, cause 3 is probably the highest point combat wise, besides maybe 4.
>>
>>340009065
If nothing else, I'll give Downpour the best joke ending.
It was oddly fitting for the last game of the series.
>>
File: silimp hilzkit.png (237 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
silimp hilzkit.png
237 KB, 1000x1000
>>340003394
They're labor of love, by the fans - for the fans. Only weebs claim otherwise.
>>
>>340009315
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: DoomGuy.gif (400 KB, 488x519) Image search: [Google]
DoomGuy.gif
400 KB, 488x519
>>340009315
I'm usually not this petty, but I'm glad he was fired.
>>
>>340009552

Wasn't everyone fired since they canned their games division?
>>
File: 1459914996839.png (755 KB, 767x720) Image search: [Google]
1459914996839.png
755 KB, 767x720
Once konami started outsourcing the SH games they went to the garbage can. Everything after origins was a complete mistake.
>>
>>340009315
Homecoming and Downpour were masterpieces compared to the crime that was Book of Memories.
Seriously, who the hell looked at Silent Hill and thought
>Let's make it a hack and slash Diablo-like!
>>
>>340009315
I can't believe he loved the comics so much to have their shitty character in the game and have his team featured in one of the issues.

I mean if you're going to have any of the shit comic characters in it, it should've been the punks or artist, at least they would've been hilariously bad instead of confusing and boring like blackman
>>
>>340009270
Damn.
I think I made it to the hospital, I just wasn't feeling it.
>>
Homecoming was neat. But fuck the police station and those stupid razor monsters.

Downpour had really cool set pieces. The enemies sucked, though. And when I got to the first boss, I was incredibly disappointing to find out that it was the only boss, and I ended the game before I did all of the cool side-quests.
>>
>>340009723
>Everything after 3 was a complete mistake

FTFY
>>
>>340003394
They're pretty bad at being scary or creepy.
>>
>>340009869
If you made it that far you're only an hour or so from beating it, the game doesn't have much time left once you get to the actual town. I'd push through it just to do it.
>>
I'm confused as to how people shit on Origins' gameplay. Yeah, weapons and overworld traversal are handled differently but otherwise it's basically diet classic SH. It apes the great games so relentlessly that it's overall decent BECAUSE it's a pale imitation of the great games.
>>
>>340009929

4 and SM have some redeeming qualities. They also have crippling flaws but there's some good with the bad. Origins' only real sins lie in its storyline; it actually plays alright.
>>
>>340009552
Don't remind me...
>>
>>340003394
I hated Homecoming because its puzzles were down right insulting and boring but it had decent enemy design from a boss perspective and alright levels.

Downpour had really bad enemy design when it came to the normal enemies but as for everything else i adored it. They found a way to make combat functional to a degree where you didn't wanna fight anything but could. It was a decent game for a SH2 rip off. The worst part had to be the ending where you basically didn't do anything wrong though.
>>
>>340010281
meant for>>340009684
>>
>>340009857
There's a character from the comics in the games? Who? Was it that Mailman guy?
>>
>>340010478
Yep. He killed his slave owners, and feels guilty so he's cursed to roam silent hill as a mailman forever. For some reason. Until he learns his lesson, whatever the fuck it might be.
>>
I really enjoyed the town of Downpour. Lets put aside the story/music/almost everything else the town was
>Falling apart but still nice to look at
>Had tons of buildings you could go inside of that mostly felt unique in their own ways
>Everywhere felt worth going into in its own way
>Side quests didn't feel that shoehorned for the most part

The level design/town itself was fine and honestly was on par if not the pinnacle of the SH series to me in that regard. Its too bad the series is better off being about the other things. Its still better then Homecoming in almost everyway besides framerate/graphics.
>>
>>340003394
Homecoming and Downpour are the only bad ones, and even Downpour had some redeemable qualities.
>>
>>340010881
Why was the only good music the song for the joke ending?
>>
>>340011275
The music was no Akira but the basic soundtrack wasn't anything particularly bad just a downgrade. It was latin horror music and it was very fitting for the atmosphere around the city atleast.
>>
>>340011275
More importantly, why was the joke ending the most sensible? Even the best ending has a few massive leaps of logic and character.
>>
>>340011632
Eh, I remember the endings making a pretty good amount of sense apart from the one you get when you die at the end, and the one where it turns out you didn't even do too much to feel guilty about.
>>
The fighting mechanics in Homecoming were pretty good, you really had to know a enemies movements to dodge and attack. Only thing I hated was there was no option to invert the camera, so switching between the two fucks with you bad.
>>
>>340003624
I really liked exploring SH in Downpour. Acidentally wandering into some buildings was more spooky then the monsters
>>
I've always wanted to try the Silent Hill games. In fact i was about to get the first one on PSN.

So my question is were to go after that and if i can skip some of them.

Honestly i don't wanna invest time in a series if i have to track down older and possibly more expensive editions and i heard some of the remasters were pretty bad.
>>
>>340012382
Play in release order, you dingus.
You can emulate most of them really easily, and a good amount got PC releases.
Avoid the HD remasters, yeah.
>>
File: SilentHillPC.png (2 MB, 1300x3170) Image search: [Google]
SilentHillPC.png
2 MB, 1300x3170
>>340012382
>>
I haven't played Downpour (why bother?) but before I knew the series had turned to shit I played Homecoming. If you're looking for a survival horror game, look somewhere else.

Shattered Memories is kind of like a walking simulator but actually good.

Oh, I guess I haven't played Book of Memories either. To think that game actually exists.
>>
>>340009926
I did ALL the sidequests, got the super great weapon and a fuckton of healing items before heading to the prison. I then LOST all those items before even getting to use them because story reasons or whatever. Why make side quests if you can't bring the rewards to the final area and the last (and only) boss?
>>
>>340012501
>>340012564
Neat, thank you. So only the first one was PS exclusive then? Emulation and PC it is.
How about the more recent ones?
>>
>>340012382
Play Silent Hill 1 on PSN or emulate it using EPSXE (or whatever)

Torrent Silent Hill 2 - Homecoming (if you want). Just google Silent Hill PC guide, then look under images to get them working. They can run on toasters now adays, and look and play better than the SH Remasters on PS3/360

Downpour go PS3 version. 360 version is borked harder. I think PS version got a patch or two to help with framerate.
>>
>>340012718
Honestly i thought the best side quests were the missing heart and the room, but the room is closer to an Easter egg. But at least someone took the effort to make it look really good and exactly like the original, especially since it can be easy to skip by.
>>
File: 1462841898351.jpg (8 KB, 272x252) Image search: [Google]
1462841898351.jpg
8 KB, 272x252
Holy shit people are defending homecoming? I just replayed with some friends for a laugh and we didnt even bother finishing that fuckin trash. Downpour was okay it just needed some tweaks like better enemy design, less forced combat sections and otherworld sections that didnt involve running from a dumb orb of light. Homecoming is just fuckin boring though, nothing in it is even slightly clever let alone scary and the level design for every area was just a straight line with a few easily dispatchable enemies. The starting knife is more effective than any other weapon, and the plot is comparable to a straight to dvd monster movie about a cult that sacrifices people to stop an ancient evil. Its disgusting that anyone thought homecoming was an acceptable product to release for any amount of money.
>>
>>340012695

I own a Vita and I haven't even played BoM's demo. I could, but I don't want to.
>>
>>340014020
I've played a bit over halway through. Its bland, enemies all feel the same, weapons degrade too quickly, the gameplay is too simple, and the levels are too similarly designed. Its not total shit like homecoming but its very forgettable.
>>
Did anyone else get a couple screen fade ins/outs and then a crash when trying to run SH4?
>>
>>340003394
>>340003394
what about the sh that was releasd on the vita was it gud
>>
>>340016697
No book of memories is shit.

Unless you mean psp, then Shattered memories is ok but not the best version to play, and origins isn't the worst.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.