[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mojang killed Minecraft by adding too many features. Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 16
File: minecraft-1106252_960_720.jpg (172 KB, 960x508) Image search: [Google]
minecraft-1106252_960_720.jpg
172 KB, 960x508
Mojang killed Minecraft by adding too many features. Discuss.
>>
Minecraft hasn't been "killed". It's just that you hate the community due to its association with 12 year olds.
>>
Fuck nigga I stopped following minecraft when it was still in beta. How much ''feature'' is there now?
>>
>>339988090
a video game gets even /more/ content? it's a travesty
if you hate the new updates they let you revert to whatever version of the game you want
>>
It's not the number of features, it's the quality.
The base game is a good starting point for modding though, really the only way to enjoy yourself is when the game is overhauled
>>
>>339988090
That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
>>
>>339988090
No
>>
>>339988090
>My open world game with tons of possibilities got more posibilities
>this is bad :(

how retarded are you
>>
How in the hell could a sandbox game suffer from having a lot of features?
>>
>>339988090
Community fucked it up just like undertale
>>
>>339988297
>>339988384
>>339988391
underage b&

The game in its original form wasnt bogged down with clutter. It was you in a big open world and you had no other direction than "You can build shit, dig shit, and avoid scary shit at night" and it was perfect.

At most it should have stopped when it updated with hell. But shit like settlements with those weird Bert looking dudes, or having an "end game" kinda ruins the whole thing. Hell they even replaced some simple, chill, tunes in the game with more "expensive" ones.
>>
>>339988214
>>339988261
>>339988391
The features they added, like Hunger, sprinting, endermen and other autistic shit actually detract from the game in that they ruin it's elegant simplicity. Especially the hunger healing thing.
>>
>>339988090
community killed this game
rip
>>
File: industry.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
industry.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>339988515
>undertale
>multiplayer
here we go
>>
>>339988745
>endermen
shit tier opinion. Endermen were the best npc addition to the game
>>
>>339988739
>The game in its original form wasnt bogged down with clutter. It was you in a big open world and you had no other direction than "You can build shit, dig shit, and avoid scary shit at night" and it was perfect.

Except you're wrong. Minecraft's original form was a building simulator and nothing more. Creative mode was the entire game.

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>339988468
It's a game built for and catered towards children and the autistic. Of course one of those two groups are going to complain about change.
>>
I honestly think the game needed more focus on the spelunking aspect.
>>
>>339988745
just because I agree that a game should be allowed to get more things doesn't mean every new thing is good just like every new thing isn't bad
that said I enjoy sprinting but hate having to eat like 3 steaks every minute of it I do. hunger isn't bad it's just badly implemented
>>
Minecraft was never, ever good.
>>
File: 1452413698725.png (821 KB, 1920x1018) Image search: [Google]
1452413698725.png
821 KB, 1920x1018
>>339989017
>It's a game built for and catered towards children and the autistic.

How so? You keep spewing this but never give any reasons/evidence.
>>
>>339989151
thanks for your contribution here's your (You)
>>
>>339988261
If you have time, research 'feature creep' where software devs might put too many features into software but lose focus by spreading themselves too thin or it devalues the core components. Its like adding ketchup to pasta dish
>>
>>339989016
Reading comprehension is hard. Best get better or you'll never pass middle school.
>>
>lots of features
>a game with "Mine" in its name still has no underground content
>>
File: 1384628920967.png (548 KB, 623x630) Image search: [Google]
1384628920967.png
548 KB, 623x630
>Game sells like 50k daily.
>"Hurr it's dead guys"
>>
>>339989080
What food should have done, in my opinion is give you a temporary, stacked to an extent boost in abilities. So if you ate a ton of steaks, it would give you temporary super strength.
Eat a load of carrots? Gain the ability to see in the dark for a while.
That doesn't punish, only encourage.
>>
Why did they try to turn it into a mediocre action RPG when Minecraft had shit combat mechanics in the first place?
>>
That's dumb as hell. It never really got "ruined", it just never properly grew to live up to the potential that was shown early on.

All of the additional features aren't bad, necessarily, they just aren't very good, either. They're meaningless bells and whistles tacked onto the same kind of shitty foundation that's been more or less the same since the very beginning. None of the content added really brought the sort of sweeping, fundamental changes that the game desperately needs.
>>
File: implying i give a shit.jpg (47 KB, 300x373) Image search: [Google]
implying i give a shit.jpg
47 KB, 300x373
>>339988889
>marble hornets getting big
>endermen has absolutely nothing to do with slenderman
>we had this idea all along guys
>>
>>339989689
The 12 year old audience.
>>
t. Casual shitter
>>
File: flaot6.jpg (197 KB, 1738x874) Image search: [Google]
flaot6.jpg
197 KB, 1738x874
>>339988090
>>
>>339989432
>Resorting to ad hominem

Further confirming that you have no rebuttal to being wrong, anon.
>>
>>339988861
I wonder how you'd go about Undertale Multiplayer.

Would it end up like Phantasmogoria of Dimensional Dream, bullet hell vs. bullet hell?

Or would it end up like some kind of imvu Second Life ERP simulator?
>>
Does anyone have an actual reason why Minecraft is catered towards children?
>>
>>339990034
It certainly won't be combat oriented multiplayer tho, or people will get pissy when they arrive to a new area and some FAST DUDE XD has already cleared all the enemies.

"guys where's toriel"
"fuck's sake who killed toriel"
"papyrus is OK"
"undyne's here too"
"guess he got stopped by Sans"
"Guys I can't find muffet"
"F U C K"
>>
>>339989948
>Using latin expressions to seem smart
>>
>>339989530
No one ever said it was dead.

But think of it this way.

Its the second best selling game of all time.

It was released 7 years ago.

In that time the developers have done very little with it. They have infact removed some features that were originally in game with promises to bring them back but never have.The game itself was based on stolen code. Its much like TES in that it relies on mods for longevity as the devs tend to introduce innane crap that either no one wanted, or are strictly for looks.

It's encouraging a generation of gamers who believe any change is good no matter how useless. Who have zero standards of quality. Who will sit there and lap up the same shit over and over again and through it all lavish praise on those who gave it.
>>
File: 0DUOUxJh.jpg (143 KB, 765x1024) Image search: [Google]
0DUOUxJh.jpg
143 KB, 765x1024
It wasn't features, it was shitty features. It's easy to churn out mobs and biomes, it's harder to write the systems that made biomes and mobs possible. The world didn't have enough shit in it or shit to do for its own sake, and adding more flowers didn't help. When you start a new save, you build a base that gets you far enough to play through the item progression, and unless you like building, the game runs out of steam pretty fast after that.

The towns and zombie invasions were nice starts but never got developed seriously (because that would be hard work). The thing that pisses me off the most about it all though is that, with it being such a cash cow, Notch could've paid people to do all this work, but instead he turned it all over to Jeb who was content to shit out mobs, biomes, flowers, and other shit that doesn't matter. Beyond that it took them ages to fix bugs like passive mobs jumping out of fences in multiplayer. He's got more money then he knows what to do with now and cries out for attention on twitter but all he had to do was just hire some more fucking people and be a little more ambitious.
>>
>>339990223
>They have infact removed some features that were originally in game with promises to bring them back but never have
Wait, what? Which ones?
>>
>>339989948
The person I quoted stated my opinion was shit despite my opinion coinciding with their own.

Thus, they lack reading comprehension.
>>
>>339990148
I just know that I would have a fucking blast with this game if it existed when I was a kid. I was very obsessed with creative shit in games.
>>
The problem is he made too many non fun features.
>>
>Mfw the console versions are literally objectively better than the PC version

>Better engine so the game runs well on something other than a fucking quantum computer
>Run by a team who actually know what they're doing
>Adding useful features and shit
>Fucking minigames being added

fucking mojang
>>
>>339990336
For example.
>>339989843

Also
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Removed_features

I miss infinite lava blocks. I remember farming them for my forge.
>>
>>339988745
why hasn't hunger been removed yet? it ruined survival considering how little food there is when you start off and good luck making a bed
>>
Hunger ruined it. Fuck time limits.

>>339989708
When did he ever claim that? They were originally going to be called Farlanders, someone suggested Endermen in reference to Slenderman, and Notch liked it and made that the name. I remember this from before they were added, so unless he's claimed something different since then, he's been honest.
>>
File: 546335463.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
546335463.png
298 KB, 600x512
>>339990370
>despite my opinion coinciding with their own
>You can build shit, dig shit, and avoid scary shit at night" and it was perfect.
>original minecraft didn't even have a night cycle, much less monsters
>>
>>339988090
It was killed by making you have to download more wam
>>
>>339988241
>tfw I'll never ruin people's days by throwing lava all over their shit and blaming it on others again. Feels bad man
>>
>>339990980
Wait you're talking about the very first build? God damn it didnt take long for them to introduce night time. Christ, this must be what autism is like.
>>
>>339990760
Beds aren't too hard to make. You might have to go without for your first couple of days, but I kind of like that.

And do animals respawn after you kill them? I think I remember that being one of the changes that was added with hunger, and I hated it. Is there a mod or anything to play with respawning animals, no hunger, and a longer day/night cycle? I think that would make the game a lot better.
>>
File: minecraftseabase.jpg (73 KB, 1024x543) Image search: [Google]
minecraftseabase.jpg
73 KB, 1024x543
>>339988090

Not enough ocean content. All this time and there is still only squids and ocean monuments.
>>
>>339991180
>I'll never again make a chaos temple with skulls wheeping lava
>>
>>339991191
>moving goalposts to save face

lmao waxing poetic about the OG minecraft and doesn't even realize that half the shit he likes wasn't in the original build
>>
It got too popular too early so they never truly updated it past alpha, they just tacked a bunch of shit into a weak foundation with shitty placeholder graphics, monotonous gameplay, and awful physics. If they never did that early access shit and they actually had motivation to finish the fucking game, it would have been really great.
>>
File: 1463695341440.jpg (207 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
1463695341440.jpg
207 KB, 692x960
>>339991621
i'm very curious as to where minecraft would be if this guy had stayed

he's a real freak judging by his twitter
>>
File: trashmobs.png (3 KB, 203x285) Image search: [Google]
trashmobs.png
3 KB, 203x285
>>339991621
>shitty placeholder graphics
you are fucking delusional if you think those horrible alpha mobs a handful of autists wish made it in look any better. i'm glad dock left before he was able to fill the game with his garbage models
>>
>>339988090
All I wanted to do was explore odd inhabited worlds with people but it never happened. Just autism and admins.
>>
>yfw you realize the only reason Minecraft ever got popular was because 4chan shilled it like crazy when it was basically a website game
>>
>>339988090
They ruin the game every time they update and don't add a Mod API.
Seriously they promised that shit fucking years ago, and let's face it, the vast majority of people play Minecraft for the mods. It seems like a no brainer.
>>
File: 1385210727736.jpg (64 KB, 553x799) Image search: [Google]
1385210727736.jpg
64 KB, 553x799
I still fuck around on 1.7.10 with a handful of mods.
>tfw playing in the nether and surviving on nothing but mushroom stew and collecting fat stacks of gold from pigmen
>>
>>339991280
Bed's aren't hard to make, provided you can get iron fast enough to make shears AND find sheep. It makes it impossible to settle anywhere but your spawn point and makes exploration a pain in the ass too. I should be able to turn it off.
>>
File: MINECRAFT SUCKS ASS.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MINECRAFT SUCKS ASS.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>339988090
It wasn't too many features, it was too many shitty features.
We just wanted more building blocks and places. It took them several years to add just 11 new places and building blocks.

They never expanded the programming team beyond two people, nor the whole company beyond a dozen.

I believe the fall of minecraft was what caused notch to leave. Originally, he wanted just a watered down 3d dwarf fortress. Then it became cancerous and Jeb started adding stupid shit.
Notch didn't want to work on it anymore.

The game never made it out of development. It never "released." If you look from the alpha to now, there was such little content actually added compared to other game's development cycles.
See pic related.
KSP from the alpha to the release has had an entire graphics overhaul, plus all of the new content that you can't see here, IN 4 YEARS.

Minecraft from the alpha to the release has only added muddier/darker graphics, some new biomes, and stupid gimmicky stuff like enchantments, hunger, and fucking colored glass, IN 7 WHOLE FUCKING YEARS.
>>
The hunger meter fucking sucks. Any decent mod to remove it?
>>
File: 1422474464596.gif (470 KB, 312x205) Image search: [Google]
1422474464596.gif
470 KB, 312x205
>>339993584
>mfw i played minecraft classic for the first time 6 years ago
where has the time gone?
>>
File: mehdori.png (124 KB, 305x363) Image search: [Google]
mehdori.png
124 KB, 305x363
It was hunger

Hunger killed it ded
>>
>>339993584
This.
I started playing Kerbal in late 2013 and almost every update made the game better.
I started playing Minecraft in 2010 (wanna say beta 1.6) and honestly every update after beta 1.8 has been a yawnfest or a disappointment.
>>
>>339990170
>undermeme
Kill yourself.
>>
>>339994216
Wasn't hunger and creative mode a double barreled shot?
>>
>>339989613
Your ideas are shit anon.
>>
>>339989613
What food should have done, and did before hunger, was just fucking heal you.
>>
>>339988090
It wasn't "too many features" it was "the wrong features"
They spent all their effort on shit that sounded cool in theory but didn't really add much value at best, and actively detracted from the game at worst.
Part of it is probably that the big features that really needed to exist(actual water physics, weather that matters, mechanical stuff that isn't a hacked together mess of a mod, etc) are probably too difficult to program in the shitty java engine Notch made, but they still tried to do big stuff like the Nether which never really panned out, and the ender dragon thing that I never actually really looked at but am sure its disappointing. They should have either spent some of their billion dollars on remaking the base game so it could handle big impressive stuff or just played it safe with more virtual lego.
>>
>>339991995
Of course early unpolished models (without any animations at all) don't fit into a world of shitty placeholder graphics that had no lighting, you fucking autistic asshat.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.