[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so critically acclaimed? Annoying cripples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: asscreed.jpg (327 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
asscreed.jpg
327 KB, 1600x1200
Why is this game so critically acclaimed?

Annoying cripples that knock you around in small alleys
Annoying peasants begging for money 3 at a time whilst doing everything in their might to fuck up your pathing
You clip a tiny fence, or the edge of a wall whilst running, time for parcours.
You are 1mm too far to the left or right of that ledge when running up a wall? Too bad, AllStars can do all kinds of amazing shit, but he can't move a fraction of an inch laterally whilst scaling objects
You so much look at a guard, be prepared for blinkblinkblinkblinkblinkblink.
Your indicator just turned yellow? Great! It's time to sit down on that be- Nevermind you clipped into a wall and started doing parcours.
Your indicator turned yellow again after turning that corner? Fantastic! Time to get into that stack of h- Nevermind, a guard turned the corner mid animation, start over again.

The entire game is a string of "assassinations" that are preceded by a handful of the same repeating minigames.
You fail a minigame? Don't worry, the game is there to play the unskippable cutscene of it over and over again for you, so as to motivate you into not failing it again lest you should sit through the cutscene again.
You finally managed to get past all this annoying shit and get to the actually assassination? Jolly! You made a plan based on the information you painstakingly gathered? Outstanding! Now watch it all go to waste as something minor will fuck up everything and have you running through the entire town ending with you butchering your target in plain sight in the middle of a crowded marketplace. Job well done though.
You also get fast travel, the catch being that you have to manually travel to the point from which you can fast travel, but horses are awesome right?
You are surrounded by 25 guards and knights, surely you are fucked? Not in the game where nothing is a challenge and everything is annoying.

I have never played a game that throws this many annoyances the players way.
>>
Yeah it's pretty bad.
>>
Idk never played asscreed
>>
>>339980540
Yet it was super popular and got a boatload of sequels. I simply don't understand why. Was it the fucking Knights Templar NWO angle people liked so much and allowed them to look past the beyond abysmal gameplay?
>>
>pay close attention to the environment to hatch a clever plan!
>just kidding

Ffffffffffff
>>
>>339980298
it's deeply flawed, but the atmosphere and running and climbing and the cities are really quite incredible, there was no other game quite like this at the time
oh, and unlike the other games, this one is actually about being an assassin
it's most definitely not for everyone but there are a lot of things it did extremely well
>>
>>339980298
I don't know. Some people really love that autopilot parkour I guess?
>>
The first one isn't particularly (at least as far as the game proper goes). It was basically a tech demo for the 360.
>>
>>339980715
I once spent close to an hour stalking one of the assassination targets, memorizing the patterns of the guards, the layout of the building, the best escape route etc. I finally get to the point where I put my plan into action, everything goes smoothly, right up to the moment where I go to kill the guy at which point I am rudely interrupted by a cutscene and a preprogrammed "intended escape". It was the very first time a game has actually made me genuinely blood boiling angry, I have had moments in other games where I get annoyed or frustrated, but this, this was on a level of its own.

At least a buggy as shit mess of a game can still claim that it wasn't intentionally annoying. Asscreed though is annoying by design.

It is easily, EASILY, the worst game I have ever had the displeasure of playing.
>>
>>339981103
>this one is actually about being an assassin
It has nothing to do with being an assassin. The original age old Thief is what it should have been designed after if that was the idea.
>>
>>339981471
The implication being that the sequels are worth playing then?
>>
>>339980298
"critically acclaimed" doesn't mean shit, nor does any video game journalist opinion.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.