[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Baten Kaitos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
Just finished this game. Clocked in around 60 hours. The game is fucking great even though the combat is frustrating sometimes. Fucking RNG in a goddamn turn based system. I heard the prequel is better. Any anon played this ?
>>
>i heard the prequel is better

honestly i didn't like the prequel as much, deck building rule are different (instead of having weapons you just have attack cards that indicate weak,medium and strong attack) and since it's a prequel it all takes place in location you've already seen, there are only 3 characters too (but one of them is a killer robot that speak with a weird robotic female/male voice so it balance out i guess) and some of the weirder location (like that bit that harps tower of druaga) are gone
>>
>>339978765
So we are just going to visit places we had seen before? That a shame. The world is really beautiful and unique. I watched some gameplay video and saw that the battle is much more faster paced this time.
>>
>>339979223
I honestly think you will like it though. As you said, the battles are way faster paced in Origins and the RNG factor you mentioned is severely diminished because you can actually discard cards in Origins without having to waste a turn (depending on how many cards you discard at once your cooldown gauge for that character will fill up and you have to wait until it's depleted, but well worth it)

There's no way you will miss the charm in the prequel either. It may be hard to get your hands on for a reasonable price though.
>>
>>339979223
There's like one new sky island that wasn't in the original and few more newish areas but otherwise yeah you're kinda just are gonna visit the first games places.

The revamped battle system will take getting used to however. It's fun once you do though.
>>
>>339979659
Might have to resort to emulating if it hard to find a copy. Just wish more people play this game now . Game deserve more praise and those fucking tweest though. Fucking Kalas man. That shit surprised me.
>>
The OST is really fucking great, the battle theme is always stuck in my mind. That or nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4j1OronIG8
>>
>>339979948
If it makes you feel better, I saw a thread on /v/ just yesterday (I think?) posting a japanese Famitsu poll on their favourite games on each gaming system and guess what, Baten Kaitos in second place behind Melee.
I can only assume that this game does have a cult following in a way. Another game would be fucking hype
Kalas did nothing wrong
>>
>>339980130
Nah man it is fucking great. The artstyle and the ost was the first thing that manage to caught my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARPxxfAeUc
>>
>>339977929

I got to the twist, which I enjoyed, and haven't played since. The core combat is just really really bland, and even getting the cards themselves was really boring.

Was I missing something, or was the entire card creation system completely worthless? All the ones I made seemed to do fuck-all.
>>
>>339978765
I can barely remember it, i rushed it like 9 years ago. I still remember it was a top tier jrpg game though. Monolith always makes great rpgs.
>>
Game is one of the best GC games out there man, it's prequel is good as well but some people argue lost ocean was better/or worse.

Severely underrated, wish namco made more.
>>
>>339980297
Oh shit so the nip do love BK . That's good to hear . They should do something about the IP though Monolithsoft must be busy trying to milk the Xeno series now. Kalas did something wrong. Melodia and Maskedfucker did everything wrong.
>>
>>339980636
I'm kinda disappointed that they chose to start a new franchise on the Wii (xenoblade) and they seem to have forgotten about baten kaitos.

I still love xenoblade though.
>>
>>339980692
*monolith

But they are busy with Xeno right now but that's fine cause Xeno is pretty great also.

Monolith should have gotten that new building not Neo IS.
>>
>>339980692
I honestly think it can be one of the top 5 turn based JRPGs of last gen. Definitely one of the prettiest.

I wish card based games made a comeback
>>
>>339980591
>Was I missing something, or was the entire card creation system completely worthless? All the ones I made seemed to do fuck-all.
It's kinda fucked really. Basically all of the first games combat boils down to is.

>Get really really fucking lucky
>Know how chain Pair/Straight numbers for more damage
>Try not to include too many opposing element cards in your hand
>>
>>339980591
The combat really takes a while to actually become fun and by fun i mean you less likely to get assfucked by RNG. Card grinding and deck management play an important role.
>>
>>339977929
>I heard the prequel is better.

That's something i never heard, only the combat system is better, the story is really interesting at the beginning but becomes meh afterwards.

The game is really a gem remember that part when u were stuck in a spaceship with Giacomo ? you couldnt continue if u didnt beat him, many people had to restart the game because they were underleveld here, and you were like 20 hours in.[/spoilers]
>>
>>339980929
Pretty much this. There are times when you got really fucking lucky and can deals almost 10k of damage in a turn and then fate decide that you used up all your luck and get fucked for a few turn straight without and healing
>>
>>339980929
There were some cards that could be used for offense and defense as well. The point was to build the deck strategically. I didn't have any problem with the combat system, i actually liked it pretty much. At least it was more entertaining and original than most other turn based rpgs
>>
Imagine how absurdly hype I got when I found out about this track in Smash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7taNjPaZIg

That's the one hope Baten Kaitos fans can cling to right now. That they haven't completely forgotten this series exists.
>>
>>339981061
>Underleveled
Is that even a thing? I did a bit of grinding but that just to get a few cards and i dont think it really help with my level. Battle just boils down to luck,number and deck management.
>>
>>339980929
>>339981045

>Hand full of armor
>"incorrect" cards instantly end your attack turn
>Enemy only does one or two high damage attacks during their turn
>Keep drawing armor
>This continues for like 5 turns

It wasn't a common occurrence, but when it happened, it was fucking infuriating and really turned me off to the game. They have this whole system of elemental damage that you can't really use outside of attacking because for some fucking reason they decided that you can't cycle defensive cards like offensive ones.
>>
I remember some anon posting both BK and BKO undub iso a week ago i think. Anyone still got the link?
>>
>>339981334
>hoping for a GC JRPG to return

The most hopes you could have is that the next Nintendo portable console has a remaster and that's pretty crazy
>>
>>339981552
ye i meant under decked (but level is still important for hp/stats)

and the combat system really wasn't hard i found, you just had to farm cards and build a logical deck
>>
>>339981298

>There were some cards that could be used for offense and defense as well

True, but to be fair they were usually garbage for defense outside of element canceling.

>At least it was more entertaining and original than most other turn based rpgs

I agree with this. I REALLY wish it was better implemented, but it was still more engaging to me, as someone who usually hates turn based games.
>>
>>339981668
Yeah most of the battles tends to go that way. Few times that shit happen to me so i thought to myself "i just need a fucktons of offense card then'.I think 3/4 of my deck was offense,3 healing items and the rest for armor. Barely stumble upon the problem again
>>
>>339977929
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4FdfaRX8EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B64f48ewdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjrl5oYwgM
>>
>>339977929
>I heard the prequel is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0or0nEy2ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0XE8w5glY
>>
When I first played it I got stuck on the battle against Giacomo and his crew on the airship. Maybe I could have won if I played my cards right but I was too dumb and ended up just restarting the game. Glad I did though cause its one of my favorite RPGs now. The second game is great too
>>
>>339982624
I think of all Sakuraba's work BK is the best. Something about it feels so imaginative.
>>
because you don't level up automatically in this game, some people do challenge runs of this game where they play on the lowest level they can be, aka the level that character joins. It takes forever to kill bosses later, but it is possible.
This game can be pretty hardcore if you want it to be
>>
File: I Love It Says Gene.png (393 KB, 617x508) Image search: [Google]
I Love It Says Gene.png
393 KB, 617x508
>Back in Summer 2005 age 17
>Get F-Zero GX for GC
>Decide to get another game with it
>See Baten Kaitos
>Knowing its a card based RPG and wasn't big on that, decided to get it for the hell of it
>MFW playing it
>MFW again playing Origins

Such a damn good series. Good thing I bought both because they are expensive to obtain.
>>
>>339982792
GELDOBLAME was fuking hard to beat for me.
>>
File: 33776319_p2.jpg (1 MB, 808x1200) Image search: [Google]
33776319_p2.jpg
1 MB, 808x1200
>>
File: Geldoblame_End_Magnus_form.jpg (46 KB, 484x396) Image search: [Google]
Geldoblame_End_Magnus_form.jpg
46 KB, 484x396
>>339983572
>>
https://youtu.be/_B64f48ewdo

Get pumped up for a battle with the trio.

Get to playing the prequel now OP.a
>>
>>339983572
Sup brah ? Heard you like DEATH so i use a skill that fucking kill you instantly.
>>
>>339984431
Planning to. Might play Rogue Galaxy first though. Got a month of work so i have lots of free time
>>
>>339977929
Played it ages ago when it came out. It was pretty good, but I was a moron and didn't have multiple saves. I saved on some blimp/ariship thing right in front of a boss battle that was handing my ass to me attempt after attempt. No place to level up between the save point and the boss. I deleted my save and never finished it. Might go back to it some time when I take my next vacation.
>>
>>339982792
>>339984962

Damn, so this really happened to people. Feel sorry for you guys. I got lucky because I'm pretty sure I was overlevelled and didn't get stuck.

Ironically, there is a spot of no return in Origins too. Right after you switch discs, there's a boss and no way to increase your level before that. Apparently that screwed people as well. Pretty bad how they created the same situation twice. I know Kalas warns you before getting on the ship, but meh, still fucked some people got stuck like that.
>>
>>339984687
Baten Kaitos is probably my favorite JRPG series. Sad to think we'll never see another or even a spiritual successor.
>>
>>339984962
I had the same problem. I had older saves but didn't want to go back. My solution was to make one character a healer. I took all the attack cards and goofy shit out of their deck and just loaded it with food and armor. It took hours for that battle to end, but I got through it. Just healing every single turn.
>>
>>339985942
It's a shame that card RPGs died out on that gen. Chain of Memories was a really good game too
>>
>>339985826
You talking about the HoHoHoHoloho bird battle. I remember the forums when the game came out and people got stuck there horribly under leveled. Trick is to slam the eggs with fire attacks and just never let up.
>>
>>339982792
>>339984962
see
>>339981061

it was a common thing, happened to me too, i chose to not panic and farmed all the cards i could on the ship without losing hp between battles (i would just restart if i lost hp).

took 1-2 hours of saving/restarting, then i got a really luck draw on giacomo and it was it, i got to keep my 20 hours save, i felt like a champion
>>
>>339986190
I think card RPGs are too slow for kids these days. Final Fantasy has become a hack-n-slash, Tales of whatever keeps coming out doing the same thing. Classic turn based and card games are gone for the most part now.
>>
>>339986438
Well, at least portables are keeping the torch, as usual. However, Chain of Memories did feel like a nice speed up to the formula: it's an action RPG but you actually have to make an strategy on what to do instead of the usual "attack and slide" turmoil action RPGs usually are. Can't believe it's the only game like that, too.
>>
>i bought tales of symphonia in 2005 instead
>>
>>339986919

>bought both with fire emblem : PoR

2005 best year
>>
>>339986438
Actualy challenge is rarely presence in Jrpg nowadays with all the moeshit and remake. I finished playing Wild Arms 3 before BK and the amount of challenge both of these games provided topple everything i had play last year.
>>
File: Godcraft.png (79 KB, 234x301) Image search: [Google]
Godcraft.png
79 KB, 234x301
how you want your party, senpai
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.