[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Wild Arms series any good? I don't see these games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: Wild_ARMs_2_Cover_Art.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Wild_ARMs_2_Cover_Art.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
Is the Wild Arms series any good? I don't see these games discussed very often.
>>
They are very good, especially 1 and 3. 1 even had a PS2 remake that emulates well if you can't stand the PS1 version's dated look.

They are not discussed often on /v/ because it has been many years since a new release and they were never re-released on steam. At this point there aren't many JRPGfags left here except for some final fantasy fans.
>>
I'm biased because jrpg are so easy for me to play and my favorite genre.
You can't go wrong with wild arms 1 and 2. I never played later games .
>>
>>339958613
This.

Go to gamefaqs or even neogaf if you wanna talk JRPGs nowadays. /v/'s too strung out on modern AAA and indie and industry drama.
>>
>>339958430
If you don't mind old things, yes. If you do, play WA5, it's great, has amazing music like the whole series and it's one of the best looking PS2 JRPGs.
>>
>>339958430
>1
Very good pre-FF7 JRPG. Quite dated now and has an obnoxious random encounter rate but has 10/10 music (this applies to most games in the series)

Example: https://youtu.be/W3KJ7TE0Fss

>2
More convoluted than WA1 and slower to get going. Moved the series away from the western elements and more magical

>3
Widely considered the best in the series. Chapter 4 is pretty shit though

>4
Widely panned for moving the series away from western and toward sci-fi and having a shit battle system. The weakest entry

>5
The anniversary game. A strong entry to the series and unfortunately the last one made. Quality is about WA1 level

>Alter Code F
An enhanced remake of WA1 for the 10 year anniversary. Annoying though as the music isnt anywhere near as good.

>XF
The WA SRPG. Actually a pretty good game and would definitely recommend
>>
I've only played Wild Arms 2. I personally put it on the same level as some of Squaresoft's better JRPG titles.
Go for it, OP.
>>
>>339958613
This. Most people only want to talk about what's new, naturally.

It's sad that /vr/ is kinda dead and shitty nowadays.

Wild Arms, Tenchu, Yakuza, so much good stuff to talk about. We only get Overwatch, DS3 and other new shit threads instead, such a waste.
>>
>>339958430
worth it for having Ecstacy of Gold as the world map theme alone

https://youtu.be/hrFhD87di0I
>>
The games are hella fun and comfy. I mean, how sick is this intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU
>>
WA1 has the GOAT soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEvtA4Uuwk
>>
>>339958932
god fucking damn. remember when FF7 was CoD-tier normalfag shit? Now it's actually a struggle to find people who've played it all the way through.

What am I still doing here, I'm probably a decade older than half of you.
>>
I liked Wild Arms 1 better on the PSX, the remake made some changes I didn't really care for.
>>
File: WildArms3-1.png (610 KB, 633x356) Image search: [Google]
WildArms3-1.png
610 KB, 633x356
>>339958430
I only played 3.

But it was really awesome.
Good characters, great music, interesting world, fun exploration, good lenght, good battle mechanics and dungeons mechanics, lot of different side content.
>>
thousand arms was better
>>
Wild Arms 1 has a great story, great music, a setting that's never really used in JRPGs, decent characters, really good dungeons and puzzles, but has some of the most boring gameplay I've ever played in a JRPG. The battles aren't even bad, they're just slow and there's no reason to use anything but to mash attack throughout the overworld battles, and then use your strongest attack (with some healing) against bosses.

If you can push yourself through the battle system, then it's a great trip.
>>
I only have the 2nd game. It is great, and is my favorite vidya ost
>>
>>339958430
Worst translation ever put into a video game.
>>
>>339959102
I would rather have dead /vr/ than that weird oh-shit-where-did-all-these-/v/irgins-come-from /vr/ that we had last year.
>>
>>339958430
1 was amazing 2's start was so ass it turned me away from the rest of the series. I need to give it another try but just thinking about it gets me annoyed.

Maybe I'm not a faggot and don't get the dated meme but I played 1 for the first time like in janurary and it rated better than some of the 2015 and 2016 jrpgs I played but thats not too hard of an achievement.
>>
File: playstation-61494-41439972581.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
playstation-61494-41439972581.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
>>339960183
This board is 90% PC gamers with high-end or mid-tier rigs and you wonder why we give ample warning that Wild Arms 1 looks dated

I'm just trying to be upfront. If you're like 18-19, play mostly AAA games on PC, first console you really remember is PS2 or even X360, and didn't grow up playing JRPGs, then this game is probably gonna look like shit to you. It's really good, though.
>>
File: marvel.jpg (198 KB, 625x625) Image search: [Google]
marvel.jpg
198 KB, 625x625
>>339960183
Do it for her.
>>
>>339960549
How does that image look dated though?
>>
>>339958430

first 2 games are good, 3 is a personal favourite then 4 was one of the biggest piece of shit i've ever played and it was so bad it killed the series forever even if they tried a last hurrah with 5 (which was sort of okayish i guess)
>>
Very good series.

Out of mainline only WA4 is bad.
>>
File: vc.jpg (13 KB, 177x168) Image search: [Google]
vc.jpg
13 KB, 177x168
>MFW new Wild Arms announced at E3

Make it happen you jap fucks
>>
>>339958430
2 was the only one in the series I haven't played, but I enjoyed them all. The aesthetic and music got my attention, then I was hooked.

Virginia a best, poor Rebecca got the screwjob in 5.
>>
>>339960985
The creator said he had a meeting with sony in the beggining of the year. Makes more sense for TGS though.
>>
>>339961469
2 is pretty good but takes a while to get going. If you can slog through the first chapter it gets alot better
>>
Very good. If you like JRPGs of old. Wild Arms will be up your alley
>>
>>339958970
People often say 3 is the best, but I couldn't seem to get into it. I did enjoy the first two games though.
>>
>>339960686
Muh low-poly and low resolution textures.

It looks good, because the people behind it were good at their job, but people nowadays like their shiny graphics and shit.
>>
long time fans of the game will rush in and recommend it because of their nostalgia playing the bargain bin games when mommy and daddy couldnt afford the new final fantasy

from an outside objective point of view i can tell you the games are not all that engaging or entertaining. you can skip them
>>
>>339960549
Yeah I can see why it would bother some people but its chibi but some of the bosses like boomerang you posted look good and the built in filter in the ps3 Which I sued to play it by the way made it look decent.

>>339960575
I'll try.
>>
>>339958613
I just started 3 and the storytelling seems so clunky. So much pretentious exposition.
>>
>>339964825
The ending is kind of underwhelming too.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.