[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>night is barely darker than day When will developers stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: 1463144799552.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1463144799552.png
151 KB, 449x442
>night is barely darker than day
When will developers stop doing this?
>>
>night in dragons dogma is fucking pitch black
It's the only game thats gotten it right I think
>>
>>339953212
A fuckloads of games have gotten it right. You would know if you weren't a redditard.
>>
File: ss_Doggy Loitinin'.jpg (132 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
ss_Doggy Loitinin'.jpg
132 KB, 1280x1024
STALKER games do nights extremely well. Literally can't see shit without your lamp or NV. SoC still requires mods to make them actually dark, but the sequels got it right.

For mentioned reasons, the random mid-night thunderstorms are fucking beautiful (and spooky) sight.
>>
Why would you want it to be so dark that you can't see without a light? That's completely pointless realism, i'm trying to shoot people here, I can't do that if I can't see them. Might be good for a stealth game, but absolutely nothing else.
>>
File: Silent Hill.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Silent Hill.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>339953212
>It's the only game that's gotten it right I think
>>
>game is pitch black
>minimap is so detailed you can navigate the area without any lightsource
>>
>>339954337
t. 12 years old
>>
>>339954337
>what is atmosphere
>what is immersion
>>
>>339954825
t. hipster
>>
File: xrEngine 2014-01-01 22-58-17-32.jpg (671 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
xrEngine 2014-01-01 22-58-17-32.jpg
671 KB, 2880x1620
>>339954051
Fuck yes.
>>
>>339954896
Who cares about atmosphere and immersion when they get in the way of game mechanics?
>>
>>339955009
Except it doesn't get in the game mechanics unless you're a drooling retard.
>>
>>339955127
You're delusional.
>>
>>339955603
t. drooling retard
>>
>>339953037
As soon as they stop being Californians that have never left the city.
>>
>>339955603
Go be retarded somewhere else.
>>
File: We all spooky now.gif (955 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
We all spooky now.gif
955 KB, 360x360
>>339955713
You have twenty seconds to explain to me right now how the world would NOT be significantly better off if every single person that lives in California died right now.
>>
Depends on what game it is. Sometimes I want night time aesthetics but without affecting gameplay.
>>
>>339953212
>>339953037

Underage. Games used to have dark nights before it fell out of favor in the early 00s for being "cheap" since it punished players for playing in a well-lit room/having their TV settings set too dark or low contrast. You would know if you were alive back then.
>>
>Playing a new game that has a full day/night cycle
>It turns from day to dusk, and everything gets darker and covered in a shitty orange glow
>An hour later, things suddenly get brighter
>Get really confused and check my clock settings
>Everything's in order
>Dusk is actually noticeably darker than both day and night
>Night and Day are almost exactly the same except night has a very slight blue tint
>>
File: 1463589362161.png (200 KB, 640x530) Image search: [Google]
1463589362161.png
200 KB, 640x530
>cranks up gamma correction
>>
>>339956462
Because San Francisco needs to go first.
>>
Try ArmA 3
Literally can not see shit
If you get stranded in middle of nowhere without a light source. You have to shoot your gun to see which direction you're facing
>>
Fucking MGSV, like the only use for NVG is just to easily spot enemies and objects, even during the day when upgraded, and sandstorms.
>>
>>339953037
My only real problem with some old (and it could just as easily affect new games too, it's not some inherent limitation due to PC power) games that did this boils down to the same old issue:
>The AI is a Cheating Bastard
But it irritated me more. Having stuff be in the dark can be really awesome for atmosphere and immersion, but it requires more work on dev's part to actually make fun and fair and that includes making enemies that shouldn't be able to see in the dark NOT able to see in the dark. Obviously I'm not talking zombies or night monsters or whatever, if it's a horror game or you're facing that kind of shit like Doom 3 or whatever then fair enough. But there were games where you were up against other humans and it being pitch black had no realistic effect on them at all. It was obvious the devs had been lazy with writing their path finding and search algorithms, but lazy devs is hardly uncommon.

So basically full dark is awesome but only if it's done all the way. It should be something that works both against you AND for you, like any other information denial effect. You should be able to listen for enemy noises, hide from them, spring traps, have them run into stuff accidentally etc just as the same can apply in reverse. THEN it's awesome. But if it's just you when it shouldn't be then it becomes immersion breaking artificial difficulty rather then immersion increasing like it should be. Might as well have them just cast a blindness curse on you (although that could actually be a pretty cool effect, have "Blind" actually change the whole game display rather then just pop up as a status that decreases hit or some shit).
>>
>Not adjusting the brightness and or gamma to what the game is intended to look like
>>
This shit gets on my nerves so much. I usually adjust it to be dark enough, but then the game has no light options or optimal lightning to see anything.

GTAV has a good night effect.
>>
>>339960841
Also, anyone who ever gets the chance to participate in a good game of nighttime lightgun capture the flag or similar in a rural setting with at least 10 people per team should. We had that going a number of years at a farm/orchard in New Hampshire and it was an amazing experience even for a lot of people who were pretty amateur. Made me really think too about what actually could and should go into more realistic FPS, although it'd probably be too niche to be popular.
>>
>>339960075
This

Also on PissFour, when i adjusted the brightness just enough so it can look at least a bit like night and i could use the NVG "properly", all black places and shadows fuzed into a mass as soon as the camera turned so you have massive black holes on the screen for the moment of camera movement, where a shadow is supposed to be cast

I hope you guys can make up your image of what i described.

Seems like night isn't so easy to do?
>>
File: 1459230298055.png (805 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1459230298055.png
805 KB, 1024x768
>>339960841
This. When it's done right and the devs aren't lazy pieces of shit, then darkness can be a great element that enhances games.

But how often do we get nice things like that?
Forcing realistic darkness in every game with night settings would do more harm than good
>>
File: night.png (436 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
night.png
436 KB, 566x800
>>339954051
>STALKER games do nights extremely well. Literally can't see shit without your lamp or NV.
That's fucking stupid though unless there is a cloud/moon cycle too. If you actually spend a lot of time in the dark human eyes adjust heavily, and only on a moonless night under some cover will it truly be black. On a clear full moon it really is like a bluish/silver day time out in the open except with much sharper shadows and dark woods. Even thin clouds won't change much.

I have yet to see a video game that TRULY does night well. As in, accounts for how the human eye adapts to low light, has night blindness, reactions to point sources of various colors, good weather simulations coupled with lunar cycles, etc. I'd love to see that done, and if /v/ knows of any games with it please share, but even "good" night games I've seen that are overall fun and much better then "daytime with a dark blue filter" are still frankly pretty fucking primitive.
>>
>>339962028
>I have never been outside in my life
Wow, just wow.
>>
>>339953037
because you're a fucking idiot who has never looked into level design or lighting systems.
>>
>>339960841
>although that could actually be a pretty cool effect, have "Blind" actually change the whole game display rather then just pop up as a status that decreases hit or some shit
Has any RPG (jap or west) actually done this? I've seen tons with a 'blind' status effect but now that I think about it I can't remember any of them doing anything visually beyond some icon on your status bar, or I think in one case it showed some little dark smoke effect around your character's head. It'd be pretty cool though if they made shit like that directly effect what the player themselves saw. Like, your party would literally go blind, the UI would be there still but you couldn't see just hear. Or 'deaf' would actually mute the game's sound. Stuff like that could be kind of neat.
>>
>>339962225
>pretending this hard
But I have, I live in a rural area even, nearest city is over half an hour away. I've done multiweek treks along the long trail and such though I've yet to devote a summer to walking the entire thing myself. It's clear you're the one who's never actually spent time outside for multiple days/nights in a row fag. Or maybe you just have total shit eyes I guess.
>>
>>339962680
It's OK timmy, one day you'll get out of your basement and you'll be able to live your dream! Don't give up hope!
>>
>>339962028
ARMA does all that. Always fun when it's dusk and visibility is low but there's still JUST enough light to not see shit in NVGs.
>>
>>339962817
I hope you experience the outdoors someday anon, there's more to life then your cellphone mobile shit!
>>
>>339962921
Seriously? They even account for different rod response to red vs blue light? Can you night blind enemies? I'm going to need to push the latest one up my backlog to play.
>>
>what is moonlight
>>
>>339963195
Night blind kinda. Rendered lights can still be wonky and of course sometimes the AI just don't give a shit that they're looling into a spotlight. But all the cloud coverage, weather changes, time of day, fog level etc nonsense is there.
>>
>>339953037
Is that the girl with the bug spray?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.