[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what the fuck was the fuss about this game? God damn this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 3246624.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
3246624.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
So what the fuck was the fuss about this game?
God damn this crap is repetitive as shit.
>>
Part of the Platinum meme
>>
It's not that amazing. Everyone hails it as Platinum's Gears of War, but that's all it is.
It's an improvement on the GoW concept, but considering it wasn't a very good premise to begin with, there's not much you can do with it.
>>
"Underdog" bullshit. Same as Binary Domain.

These are not great games, they are just decent games.
>>
It's a good gameplay core surrounded by lackluster design
Which honestly, as much as I love some of their games, is a recurring theme with Platinum
>>
Opinions, of course.

It's one of my favorite games last gen, largely because it plays like a dream, has a moderately high skill ceiling, looks great in motion, and while tropey is a lot of fun and well designed.

The plot and storyline are generic and functional, could've stood out more with those being fresher but it doesn't mean they were shitty.

It's a pretty kick ass game really. I wish we lived in a world where the sequel could actually happen.
>>
>>339920109
>well designed
What?
The whole game you cover yourself and shoot, thats it.
Also don't kid yourself with "high skill ceiling"
>>
>>339919589

Don't know where you've gotten to, but if you've put in an hour or two, note that it's not gonna change a whole lot in terms of what you do - but there are some more unique levels, and the area layouts/enemy waves are what makes things interesting and challenging. Any half decent player can stumble through em, but getting the mechanics really down makes for a whole other experience.
>>
>>339920258
yo, if you played this game by covering yourself and shooting, you played the game wrong
>>
>>339920258

Describe to me, with an example, what you consider a great 3rd person action/shooter game.
>>
>>339920109
>looks great in motion

You mean apart from the 30fps?

If ever there was a game screaming for fluid movement and responsive controls it's this one.
>>
File: 1366354038271.jpg (91 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1366354038271.jpg
91 KB, 554x439
What the fuck happened to /v/'s sense of taste? It think it's mature, or distinguished, but doesn't know how to recognize strong flavors that aren't from a McGame.
>>
>>339920391

It's extremely fluid and handles extremely well. You're either a bored troll, shitty player, or some combination of both.
>>
>>339920380
Out of my heard I can't think of one.
If anything I could say MGSV does great in that department even though it's primarly a stealth game
>>
>>339920516
Memegamers. They're everywhere.
>>
>>339920589

I don't think you're gonna "get" Vanquish, unfortunately.
>>
>>339920516
/v/ is full of casuals pretending to be tryhards
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2kOHG8BOgU

vanquish thread?

PC port where
>>
>>339920652
and what's there to "get" exactly?
>>
>>339920579

Dude, it's 30fps.

If you find that personally acceptable then good for you but it's objectively inferior to 60fps.

I played the game, I beat the game, I liked the game, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be disappointed in the low framerate, especially for such a fast paced game too.
>>
>>339920758

This game could use a kickass PC port, for sure. The vid you posted has a faster run, but this guy's is still the best IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWGfXaXlzoI

I love how to get through these challenges, your ability to play Vanquish increases exponentially (if you're not already really good).
>>
>>339920794
First try not playing it like a cover shooter.
>>
>>339920981
is framerate really that much of an issue? i mean 60 is always nice but i dont see 30 as a major flaw as long as its somewhat consistent
>>
>>339920758
PC port never because licensed with SEGA. Same with Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, and Wonderful 101.
>>
>>339921071
And what would I "get" from then on?
>>
>>339920981

Vanquish is not remotely close to a game where I'd consider it's framerate a hindrance. There's countless titles from the time frame that had far less going on and couldn't hope to achieve the smoothness it had. To the knowledgeable or trained eye, it was obviously 30 fps, but was so tight some people actually thought it was 60 fps.

You sound like a technically fixated person (possible fps autist), so I'm not gonna change your mind, but it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>339921217

What makes the game appealing and considered great by some.
>>
>>339921217
An enjoyable gameplay experience where you aren't constrained by imaginary rules?
>>
>>339921132

For a slow paced game 30fps is fine but Vanquish is not a slow paced game.

I've never understood the "as long as it's consistent it's fine" mentality, I would take an uneven 60fps over 30fps any day. Shit, I'd take an uneven 45fps over 30fps.

It's not like the game speeds up and slows down if the framerate is uneven. I don't get why people are so hardcore about consistent framerate, the only way you can realistically get that is by making sure you don't even come close to pushing the hardware and then capping the framerate.
>>
File: 1414453911617.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1414453911617.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>339921385

Perhaps because the overall quality might matter more to some people than a number or technical benchmark?
>>
>>339921329
The game is okay, "great"....there nothing that drives me to keep going further when I basically saw everything this game has to offer in the first 5 hours or so, it's not like the narrative is going to matter all of a sudden in a Platinum game.
>>339921336
What imaginary rule? I'm using everything at my disposal, I should stop shooting altogether as well I guess right?
>>
>>339920258
> Stay in cover and shoot

Congrats, you are amoung the upper 5% of boring individuals on this planet.

> Don't kid yourself with "high skill ceiling" crap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1J4TxldPY
>>
>>339921385
eh, idk i just care about how fun the game is really, 30 or 60 matters little to me
>>
>>339921664
>a number

We are talking about the framerate here, that's kind of important.

Higher is better. It just is. A number that hovers around 60 is better than a number that never budges from 30.
>>
File: 1464765291818.png (538 KB, 650x600) Image search: [Google]
1464765291818.png
538 KB, 650x600
>>339919589
It's a good game
It's fun to play
There's reward for skillful play
Others can be entertained watching you
The story doesn't take itself seriously
There's no tacked on online multiplayer
>>
The problem of vanquish is that it doesn't incentive the player to not play safe.
Playing the game like a normal "duck'n cover" shooter is the safe way to do it, and it shouldn't be.
>>
>>339919589
your an faggit
>>
>>339922217

You don't think "It's more fun" is incentive enough?

Why are you even playing games? For the story?
>>
>>339921795
If you're saying
>The whole game you cover yourself and shoot
Then you clearly aren't using everything at your disposal.
You're not even going to mention the rocket knees? The entire selling point of the game?
Vaulting over cover in slo-mo and rocketing over to next cover?
It's got so much more going for it than your average cover based shooter.
>>
>>339922376
I agree with you, it's definitely more fun.
But for the average TPS player, it may be difficult to realise no covering is both funnier and more effective.
Especially when using the melee is depleting the boost gauge and feels like you are always with your pants down.
>>
>>339922392
>Vaulting over cover in slo-mo and rocketing over to next cover
>to next cover
>next cover
>>
>>339919589
It's literally a 3D contra, which is fucking amazing.
>>
>>339922898
What do you not get about that not being the best way to play?
>>
>>339922898
Yes anything sounds simple when you frame it as such.
>You just kill the guy and he dies that's all there is to it, nothing more nothing less.
>>
>>339919802
binary domain was a good game
>>
>>339922392
I use the rockets, it doesn't change that it get's repetitive and boresome very fast.
>>
>>339923189
Then maybe third person shooters aren't for you.
>>
>>339923317
Dude, I enjoyed Transformers Fall of Cybertron and Garden Warfare.
Vanquish blows it's load way too fast and then your left wondering if saw everything you need to see.
>>
>>339920981
>hurr durr 30 Frames

PC autist detected
>>
The thing about Vanquish is, even though it's the only shooter Platinum ever made, it still manages to not be the best shooter Platinum ever made

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVrX0MHBZ_I
>>
>>339924534
If you can call that a shooter then Vanquish might as well be a beat em up.
>>
>>339924925
It's hard to find footage of people playing without making heavy use of the melee system, but you can.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=APVsIGyX7sM

There's an AGDQ that uses guns almost exclusively, and it's cool to watch him play except he abuses the fire rate reset mechanic to cheese bosses in 2 seconds by launching like, 24 rockets simultaneously.

Point is, you can totally play it like a shooter, the game is even conducive to it (there's even a menu option for disabling the auto-aim which is something console shooters never do anymore).

Guns are powerful and satisfying, you can shoot them while driving, you can even use them for unique attacks like slo-mo dives if you shoot off dodges and stuff. They come in like 5 classes each with 3-5 sub-classes with different key fire properties, etc.

Honestly the game is a decent TPS. Not the best one I've ever played, but given the greater freedom of movement mechanics, the lack of reload limitations, the abandonment of the cover system and the actually-not-terrible melee mechanics I STILL think it's a better shooter than Vanquish.

Shorter, though, and the story is even more worthless.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.