[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is emulation piracy? if so is it still piracy even if the original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: CatePasta.jpg (62 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
CatePasta.jpg
62 KB, 437x437
Is emulation piracy?

if so is it still piracy even if the original is no longer available for retail sale?
>>
yes goy so don't try to do it
>>
>>339904039
Why do you give a shit?
>>
>>339904039
Buy all your carts and discs, newfriend. Even used is better than being scum
>>
>>339904039
>Is emulation piracy?
Does it matter?
>>
>>339904392
This
>>
If the original creator is no longer around, or cannot receive compensation for their work, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't emulate or pirate a product.
>>
>>339904039
You're not very smart, are you?
>>
>>339904392
>>339904432
>>339904550
just curious about what /v/ thinks
>>
>>339904039
1) yes it is.

2) yes it is. copyright still applies. whether the incumbent wants to enforce it or not is a different thing
>>
Who gives a fuck?
>>
Yes

It is also the only thing keeping some of these games from completely disappearing and being forgotten.

Piracy isn't necessarily bad.
>>
Sure its piracy, but with very few exceptions anything that can be emulated is already past the point where the developers are losing money from you doing it. Who gives a shit.
>>
Yes why wouldn't it be?
>>
>Is emulation piracy?
technically

>if so is it still piracy even if the original is no longer available for retail sale?
also technically, but nobody's going to bust down your door and point a gun at your head because you wanted to emulate Decap Attack

it's really only even mildly shitty if it's something that they can still make sizable profits from. if it's stupid old, then nobody cares
>>
>>339904681
if emulation was piracy they'd just call it piracy. It's a very clearly different product.
>>
>>339904039
Does it matter since there's literally nothing wrong with piracy?
>>
>>339904039
Technically, but who cares.
>>
Depends. I'd say its fine to get an emulator for a system you already own.
>>
>>339904039
>even if the original is no longer available for retail sale?
yes as long as it isn't freeware. emulation makes resale unprofitable
not saying its right or wrong, but it is piracy for a reason
>>
>>339904039
>game is $200+ disc or cartridge only
>no digital anywhere
It's justified
>>
>>339904039
>Is emulation piracy?

What? No, of course not.
Many games older games distributed on Steam use DOSbox. I don't think you're gonna get sued for playing Dark Forces, after you payed for it, especially since they're the ones that gave you the emulator.

>if so is it still piracy even if the original is no longer available for retail sale?

From a practical point of view, there's a lower chance of legal punishment if the right's holder is no longer in business, but age or or lack of availability doesn't render it any more legal, unless the title is so old that the copyright's expired.
>>
>>339904039
>Is emulation piracy?
No.
I have a PSP but fuck playing Valkyra Chronicles 3 on a tiny screen without AA and all the pretty stuff.
>>
>>339906597
no because you are devaluing a product that someone owns, through breaking the law
that is morally wrong
assuming $200 is the market price and not just the seller's price
>>
>>339906832
It is the market price
>>
>>339906832
>>339906912
>no because you are devaluing a product that someone owns
Good, then I'll buy it when the price drops
>>
>>339904039
I know you're talking about emulation, but lets step back and look at piracy for a second. Take Ever 17 for instance, a VN beloved by a lot of people. There is a fan-made english patch for it, but you need a copy of the game. Now, keep in mind the company that made it went under years ago and no one re-releases their shit. A new copy will cost you 500 fucking dollars if you want it legally. Is piracy legal? No. Is it the right thing to do in special cases like the one I highlighted? Hell yes, unless you fancy paying some faggot scalper 500$ for a chinese picture novel. Fuck scalpers, let them starve.
>>
>>339904039
>Is emulation piracy?
It absolutely is. You're taking someone's work without their permission. Their availability via legitimate channels doesn't matter at all.

Yes. For example, a lot of the Disney movies you probably watched when you were a kid aren't available for purchase right now, because Disney has their reasons. The only way to watch them is if you have an old VHS tape or DVD of them. If you grabbed them from a public tracker right now, don't you think it would still be piracy?

There's no reason you should care about whether or not it's piracy, but call a spade a spade.
>>
>>339904039
>Is emulation piracy
depends, I think that if you own the game (because you have bought a licence already) having, and emulating the rom is not illegal or piracy.
>>
File: nemu.png (61 KB, 753x864) Image search: [Google]
nemu.png
61 KB, 753x864
yes
>>
>>339906987
good luck waiting 10 years.
>>
>>339904039
If there's no way to purchase it new and be sure the money is going to the original developers, then you can pirate it guilt free.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.