[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize John Carmack is a hack? >Make id tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: John_Carmack_GDC_2010.jpg (2 MB, 1819x1866) Image search: [Google]
John_Carmack_GDC_2010.jpg
2 MB, 1819x1866
When did you realize John Carmack is a hack?
>Make id tech 4, doom 3 gameplay is designed around the engine's new lighting features rather than designing the gameplay to be fun and designing the engine around it because of Carmack's autism.
>Make id tech 5, fall for the megatexture meme, everything looks like garbage in comparison to other games of the time. Regression in terms of features that id tech 4 had and became standard by the time id tech 6 came out like dynamic lighting, most objects in the game don't even have normal maps. Made for console garbage where you can't even change graphics settings yourself because the engine changes the settings itself to maintain the 60 FPS hard cap
>Carmack leaves and id hires and some ex Crytek guys to make id tech 6
>Massive improvment all around, extremely graphically scalable from crappy systems to high end ones, no FPS limit like Carmack's engines, have both mega texture all the normal features you'd expect in a modern game engine dynamic lighting, full normal maps
The last time Carmack made something remotely good id Tech 3 back in the 90s and even then he wanted to ruin Quake 3 by removing strafe jumping because it upset his autism but luckily everyone else at id told him he was retarded.
>>
hacker anon not hack
he's just really good at computers
>>
You forgot to mention that the code for id tech 4 shadow coding is plagiarized and yet Carmack says he invented it.
>>
What happened was, it's too much tech centered nowdays. Some of the bright minds that made wolf3d and doom 1-2 impactful left the company at some point.
>>
>>339898965
Carmack is not a hack. People just don't realize that he doesn't really care about video games at all. Coding and programming engines was just a challenge for him that he enjoyed. He couldn't care less about Doom and Quake. Only Romero gave a shit about the actual games themselves.

I always cringe when people tweet about Doom and shit to Carmack. They don't get it. He doesn't fucking care. He never cared. He never will care. All he gives a shit about is programming and computer technology. Not the shitty little toys he's making with it.
>>
>>339898965
Carmack is a programmer, not a game designer.
>>
>>339898965
id Tech 4 was amazing shut your fucking face. And Carmack wasn't responsible for the gameplay of Doom 3 and Rage - that was all Tim Willits fault. And Carmack worked on id Tech 6 and is still the father of it. The reason why Doom 2016 kicked Doom 3 and Rage's ass was because of the new staff and Marty Stratton being the head of the project.

Fuck you for making me reply
>>
>>339898965
He's the engine John, not the game John, that was Romero.
>>
>>339898965
yes so he optimized the shit carmack created the foundation of
>>
>>339898965
the only reason why id tech 6 runs at 60 and looks as good as it does is because of the groundwork done by carmack with virtual texturing
>>
>>339900586
>>339900910
Most of OP's complaints are about the engines, not the gameplay.
>>
>>339898965
alot of the shit didn't work because of the miniscule amount of ram in last gen consoles
>>
>>339900910
No, John. You are the demons
>>
Build Engine was better.
>>
>>339900370
This guy gets it.
>>
>>339898965
Fuck off, rage had stellar art direction and amazing graphics.
>>
Carmack was too busy building rockets to give a fuck about making proper game engines. Thats why they turned to shit after id tech 3.
>>
what if he stole all that technology?
>>
>>339898965
>>Make id tech 5, fall for the megatexture meme, everything looks like garbage in comparison to other games of the time

Rage is fucking amazing looking on PC, you just have to edit a configuration file, but its one of the most beautiful games ever made.

You can thank consoles for being shit and having like 256mb of VRAM at the time for never seeing that though
>>
Actually the original build of RAGE was mighty impressive, but they were forced to compress the hell out of it due to Consoles

The artists were apparently very depressed for a while because of this
>>
>>339898965
more like

>last game he was directly involved with gameplay design was Q3A
>games have all sucked anus from that point

he was doing tech lead stuff that had nothing to do with the games themselves sucking. then again megatextures was shitty at first because of the pop-in
>>
>>339901825
Wait, are there other games that use this technology?

Id play rage but somebody added a bunch of fucking shitty post processing effects that randomly turn the indoor areas fucking piss yellow or green and fucked up the whole game with that because turning it off messes with other shit i think
>>
>>339898965
>insert here is a hack
seems like whenever someone gets to the point where they don't have to try anymore, they're the bad guy for some reason

now I know why people shit on gamers all the time,they sit inside all day and shit on people who work for a living. Too bad that's not a paying job, we'd all be good at it.
>>
>>339901894
Considering the even the PC version of RAGE had massive pop-in with then modern hardware, if they released the 'real' RAGE it would have been an even bigger trainwreck.
>>
>>339902104
the new doom. it has virtual texturing but without the massive pop in and low res textures because of more ram.
>>
>>339898965
RAGE ran like butter on my shitty laptop, somewhat of an anomaly how well optimized it was.
DOOM4 gives me mouse delay on my newer desktop.
Graphically scalable my ass.
Megatextures are retarded though. Both take up way too much disk space.
>>
>>339902204
That was only because AMD dropped the ball on the drivers, as usual

Also the PC version of RAGE was an afterthought,100% of the focus & optimization went on Consoles, Carmack never once talked about the PC version at Quakecon's post Bethesda
>>
>>339902104
The only games that use megatextures are id tech 5 and 6, so that's like RAGE, Wolfenstein The New Order, Wolfenstein The Old Blood, The Evil Within and new Doom.
>>
Carmack didn't even do anything technically innovative.

He literally ordered copies of a bunch of PhDs from the local university written by MUCH smarter people and just translated their algorithms into C++.

Even the infamous fast inverse square root was stolen.
>>
>>339902401
damn, i wish wolfenstein had SLI support, i can play the new doom at medium/high but wolfenstein runs below 60fps because it only uses one card, guess ill just wait till i upgrade
>>
>>339902398
The megatexture meme is shit even on modern nvidia hardware. NuDoom takes like 3 seconds to load in the full res texture for weapons after you swap what you're holding on a 970.
>>
The problem is that tech stopped being a one man race somewhere in the 90's. And although I don't know what the atmosphere was like at the id offices after Romero left, I can't imagine Carmack's severe assburgers and complete lack of human understanding or basic empathy helped him integrate well into a team. He may well have ended up becoming more of a hindrance than anything. Better to have ten above average level guys working flawlessly together then one genius working alone.
>>
File: 2622339-1064546218-26095.jpg (84 KB, 480x453) Image search: [Google]
2622339-1064546218-26095.jpg
84 KB, 480x453
>It's been 16 years since his last failure
>Carmack still makes failures to this day

Apologize /v/
>>
>>339902730
huh?

you mean when you first respawn, how textures all spend half a second loading in?

i have 2gb of vram and i dont have issues beyond that, and thats pretty minor
>>
>>339902626
everyone steals from everyone.

also, how do you steal math?
>>
>>339902948
>Be Romero
>Work as a major designer on several genre defining games
>Leave id
>Over the next 2 decades head design for one game that is shit and then get absorbed to be a no name in a bunch of other studios, none of those games you work on as no name turn out that great either
I'm not apologizing for anything.
>>
>>339898965
carmack has always been about the engine first and the gameplay second, you fucking retard.
>>
>>339903235
No I'm talking about you already playing the level, you're holding one weapon and you swap to another, the new weapon will have a blurry texture for a good 3 seconds while the full texture loads.
>>
>>339900370
This. Anyone who hasn't read Masters Of Doom should.
>>
>>339903683
that definitely doesnt happen for me, not in the slightest bit, i would have noticed, im fucking autistic as shit, maybe your textures are set too high
>>
>>339902948
Not long until his next failure.
>>
>>339903469
we probably wouldn't have gotten deus ex if not for him
>>
>>339902335
turn off adaptive vsync kek
>>
>>339901142
no they aren't
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 1600x686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 1600x686
Daily reminder
>>
>>339904604
is that rage?
>>
>>339902948
>Be one of the founders of Ion Storm
>Deus Ex is made without your help/supervision
How much more evidence do we need that this guy is not that good?
>>
well he did sell out to facebook and made a minecraft VR port that made everyone sick
>>
>>339904798
>minecraft
>vr
Maybe certain games were never meant for VR?
>>
>>339898965
The only think carmack's been very good at was real-time software renderers/rasterizers, but he was fucking amazing at it.

He became effectively obsolete as soon as consumer 3D cards became a thing, only churning out things like Doom 3 hard shadows and Rage megatextures, which weren't nearly as big a deal as the Doom or Quake engines.

If only he could have been semi-competent at enemy AI, he'd have an even stronger legacy.
>>
>>339900370

Half-right, he did, he loved his engines which is why he spent so much time to make them. Carmack is not a content creator, he is an artist when it comes to coding.
>>
>>339904086

Funny way of saying Tom Hall.
>>
>>339904604
It's time to stop
>>
>>339898965
Mans a great coder, absolutely dreadful game designer though.
>>
>>339900370
Close thread
>>
>>339898965
when Quake make everything better
>>
kek those previous problems weren't entirely his fault though
>ex Crytek guys to make id tech 6
>Massive improvment all around, extremely graphically scalable from crappy systems to high end ones
doom 4 does not scale down well at all on "older" hardware the minimum requirements are quite high just by themselves
>>
>>339898965

From my experience talented people prefer not to be in the spotlight for long.

Obnoxious shits love the attention whoring though.
>>
>>339898965
You forgot that he went to work for Oculus and unleashed his "best in class" VR tech and got BTFO by some no-name Taiwanese coders from HTC. He also abandoned his "open platform" principals entirely for a paycheck. He's a has-been.
>>
>>339904897
Oddly enough, the community Vive plugin for Minecraft works flawlessly and doesn't make people sick. The official Oculus version is making people sick like crazy.
>>
>>339908401
my two 660 ti's in SLI dont drop it below 60fps on medium/high
>>
File: 1398470861440.jpg (742 KB, 1704x2272) Image search: [Google]
1398470861440.jpg
742 KB, 1704x2272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUgHPs86XM
best quakecon keynote coming through
>>
>>339909295
>tfw you will never be able to autism rant for hours ad lib like carmack
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.