[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, just played Mass Effect for the first time, and it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
Well, just played Mass Effect for the first time, and it was pretty great. I know 3 got a load of bad rap, but is 2 worth playing?
>>
>>339894138
both 2 and 3 are worth playing if you liked the first one
>>
Every Mass Effect is different.
>>
2 was my favorite, both of the games after 1 are less like RPGs though
>>
Both 3 and 2 are basically cover shooters, with much of the charm of 1 streamlined out. The thing I liked best about 1 is that it basically dumps you out into this big setting and let's you do almost whatever you want. The next two are much more story focused (although in 2's case, it is a pretty good story).

Still, I think 2 and 3 are definitely good games that are worth playing.
>>
File: image.png (81 KB, 278x260) Image search: [Google]
image.png
81 KB, 278x260
>>339894138
No, 2 is shit because the whole game is just one big "gather your party" mission and nothing of real consequence happens. 3 is just a bad game.
>>
>>339894138
Thermal clips, no vehicles, global cooldown on your abilities, no inventory, no gun modification, no crouching.
>>
2 is more focused on Characters and the settings/atmosphere are also really good despite doing away with worlds to drive around in.

Inventory is downsized, Hub Worlds are smaller.
>>
I would recommend both 2 & 3. Despite what people say about ME3, most of the anger is directed at the ending of ME3, and not the game as a whole.
>>
>>339894781
A lot of RPGs involve getting a bunch of party members, what's your point?
>>
>>339894138
I'd say so
It's mostly just bonding time with your squadmates but a lot of the new locations are cool to explore
>>
No, ME2 is fan fiction and they striped out features people whine about instead of improving it.
>>
>>339894781
Can you elaborate why 3 is a bad game beyond the shit story ending? Just curious.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
>>339894946
No shit, but then you actually get to continue the story and utilize your party. The entire underlying purpose of ME2 is to gather your party, it literally drives the entire narrative while not advancing the overarching story at all.
>>
>>339895183
Combat was a boring cover shooter, rpg elements were weak, forced romances, and the endings blew. Not sure how you can call a game good when the ending was so terrifically awful.
>>
Me2 is basically Character Development: The Game
>>
>>339894138
Depends.

If you like the action part of Mass Effect than it only gets better from ME1. 2's combat was a significant improvement and 3's is damn near perfect. Other than the snap-to-cover hassles.

People hate ME3 because of it's ending but other than that its pretty good
>>
2 and 3 are worth playing provided you aren't super hung up about the whole "your choices matter" thing. If you just wanna be a space special task force, then the sequels are great, especially three. That being said, I've never been a huge fan of the overall story arc and largely tune it out.
>>
>>339894138
3 is better than 2 in nearly every respect.
>>
>>339895370
More like solve my mommy/daddy issues: The Game
>>
You're lucky op. Your expectations for the ending are very low, which is good. You won't be as disappointed, and you might even like it, assuming you get the extending cut dlc.

A lot of the blowback was over was due to the vanilla ending. And they've sorta "fixed" it in a way. Just remember that there is an illusion of choice, and you'll probably enjoy the games more.
>>
>>339894138
1 is the best in worldbuilding
2 is the best in gameplay
3 is the best in... multiplayer
>>
>>339895874
You're right. A lot of the squad mates have parent issues. That is pretty lazy writing imo
>>
>>339896149

to be fair, most people do in one way or another.
>>
2 is fun but it's a lot different, you have a lot less options when leveling up your character, but at the same time the classes feel a lot more specialized with that streamlining. The guns are different but I liked the restriction of ammo over watching for when my gun is going to overheat.

My biggest problem with the game is that it tried so hard to be fucking "edgy." Like it was just such an annoying shift in tone and Jack is the most cliche goddamn character imaginable.
>>
>>339895364
>forced romances

BioWare romances are generally obnoxious, but the game doesn't force you to take part in it.
>>
3 is the funnest to replay
>>
2 is the best in the series overall. It loses the theme of innocence that was in ME1 (which I found to be probably the best thing about the game), but it makes up for it by delving into the seedier parts of Galactic society. 3 is more annoying than anything else. At times you can feel the potential building and some of the missions really do add to a feeling of dread, such as when you see Reaper dreadnoughts landing in the background on the Turian moon, by they really do drop the ball in the final parts of the game.
>>
>>339896347
Liara seems pretty forced to me
>>
>>339894138

The ME trilogy is verry good all arround. People exagerate about minor thing...The ending could have been better but otherwise best space opera game ever.
>>
>>339894138
Mass Effect 2 is the best game overall combining the better action elements of 3 while still keeping some of the more story and exploration focused elements from 1 in the mix.

Frankly though it's still absolutely worth it to play through all 3 games on the same character and experience the whole story even if ME3's ending was subpar. It's an experience I genuinely wish I could start again fresh, hopefully Andromeda can do that for me (if it avoids DA:I's MMO cancer)
>>
File: 1440194407351.gif (1006 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1440194407351.gif
1006 KB, 500x333
>>339894138
One is Space Opera Scifi fun
Two is Total Recall Action movie
Three is Michael Bay Transformers

One is great.
Two is good, but doesnt have any of the same charm or feel of the first
Three is when your friend talks you into watching Michael Bays transformers because you enjoyed the series as a child.
Things seem similar, you recognize stuff. But its fucking terrible, and broken and everything is ruined and can never be right again.
In the end, you want to never give them money again and hope no one else will...
but just like Michael Bay they dont stop...
>>
https://youtu.be/-cMfUt3c5qw
>>
Are you playing on consoles? If so go get that shit where you can see what choices you made in the game. Most of the time your choices don't even fully register and you lose a ton of shit.

Like in 1, I kept Wrex alive but the choice showed Wrex dead and in 2 I had some other weird fucker. I had to go into the choices and manually change it to keep Wrex alive.
>>
>>339894138

If you play 2 right after 1, you'll enjoy it more. You'll still have the residual glow of 1 to get you through the braindead writing, but the combat is better.

Basically, the two best writers left halfway through production of 2 and the writing in the series turned to crap. The shooting mechanics got more entertaining with each game, though.
>>
File: Virmire_sovereign_hologram.png (1023 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Virmire_sovereign_hologram.png
1023 KB, 960x960
You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it
>>
>>339894138
no, the series went to shit with 2
>>
File: 1293178257149.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1293178257149.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
>>
It suffers from the same fate as all middle stories of a planned series (as opposed to spontaneous sequels)- you won't get the conclusions you're looking for, since it just sets up the next chapter.
But if you go into it with your eyes open and 3 already purchased, have fun.
>>
>>339896785
2 has aliens with 3 tiddies?
>>
>>339897015
>Most of the time your choices don't even fully register and you lose a ton of shit.
What are you talking about? I played on 360 and this never happened to me.
>>
>>339897816

>and 3 already purchased

>giving EA money.

no sire.
>>
>>339896001
>2's gameplay
>better than 3
How?
>>
File: 1462509960443.jpg (70 KB, 380x312) Image search: [Google]
1462509960443.jpg
70 KB, 380x312
>>339897378
> In 3 they're galactic lawn mowers that simply trim the grass of life every now and then
Fuck how could they ruin such a thing? They made reapers a fucking joke.
>>
>>339897993
Didnt they also completely can dark matter, which was supposed to play a huge role in 3?
>>
File: Luna_gmap.png (173 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
Luna_gmap.png
173 KB, 512x256
The Extended Cut made ME3's ending go from terrible to meh.

I still recommend the whole series.
>>
>>339894138
Why did bith Mass Effect and Dead Space 3 have such ass backward explanation?
>Reapers turned into lawn mowers that inly wipe out advanced life
>Necromorphs make fucking moons that call other moons to eat planet life
>>
>>339897860
I do too and when I went to check all my choices a ton of shit didn't actually register nor transfer over from 1 to 2 to 2 to 3.

Look it up and check it out if you care to because it's actually pretty easy to do and then you see how many fucking choices didn't register on your main save.
>>
>>339898201
Yes, the reapers were originally constructed to solve entropy and essentially prevent the heat death of the universe being accelerated through the usage of mass effect technology/biotics. Their most effective "short-term" solution was something to do with the cycle and purging of sentient races in the galaxy.

I think some of what I'm remembering is probably a little incorrect but overall it was a much more compelling and unique sci-fi plot than "We kill organics cuz otherwise they'd kill themselves!"
>>
Honestly with the ending they gave us in 3, getting to the finale of the overarching story should not be your top priority. I'm glad they had 2 tell it's own story instead of the asspull that ended 3. It's ending was certainly much better than 3. In fact, it's kind of bewildering that they did an ending great in 2 but bumbled it in 3
>>
>>339898201
>which was supposed to play a huge role in 3?
dank meme, it was just an option they were leaving themselves
it wasn't the hard and fast, set plan for ME3
>>
File: Necron_Warriors_Enmasse.jpg (99 KB, 905x703) Image search: [Google]
Necron_Warriors_Enmasse.jpg
99 KB, 905x703
>>339898562
That sounded way more apropriate than the bullshit paradox in 3 they just tossed in.
Kinda reminds me of Oldcrons before they went all We wuz space kangs n' shiet.
>>
File: tumblr_lubav6o17C1r4hjxyo1_500.jpg (73 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lubav6o17C1r4hjxyo1_500.jpg
73 KB, 500x242
Remember when the idea of Protheans was cool because almost nothing was known about them or even what they looked like, then they just turned about to be Nigger Bugs?
>>
>>339898562
What youre remembering was the planned but scrapped plot for me.
>>
>>339898520
It really sounds like you encountered a glitch and think it applies to everyone else.
I can find save editors, but no reports of what you're talking about with certain choices not being saved.
>>
>>339894259
One of the most obvious ways this manifests is through the dialog. Shepherd almost never says anything without the players direct input in me1, but each subsequent game had Shepherd saying more and more of the dialog on his own from one character choice.

The combat might have improved. But only major rpg elements stayed.
>>
>>339898562
>>339898775
>>339898792
>"Again it's very vague and not fleshed out, it was something we considered but we ended up going in a different direction."
>"I find it funny that fans end up hearing a couple things they like about it and in their minds they add in all the details they specifically want," he explained. "It's like vapourware - vapourware is always perfect, anytime someone talks about the new greatest game. It's perfect until it comes out. I'm a little weary about going into too much detail because, whatever we came up with, it probably wouldn't be what people want it to be."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-ex-bioware-writer-discusses-dropped-ideas-for-mass-effect-trilogy-ending
>>
>>339894138
2 is worth playing, if you liked 2 you'll end up playing 3 regardless of what people say but you probably won't enjoy yourself.
>>
>>339899051
>>339899051
there you go save editors. You should check your own choices in ME and you'll see shit tons of stuff that didn't transfer over.

Hell even Bioware said that they couldn't get all choices to carry over due to coding problems.
>>
>>339899136
>that faggot talking about how it was just people getting carried away with their imaginations and that's why they liked it more.

Bullshit. He might be right about adding in our own details but ANYTHING, literally ANYTHING would have been a better and more interesting origin on the Reapers and their purpose than the quite clearly last-second, shoehorned in "IF WE DON'T PURGE ORGANICS, ORGANICS WILL PURGE ORGANICS!!!"
>>
>>339899136
>this smug faggot talks about "fans picking details they like"
No bitch it's called wanting a more menacing and ominous mechanical threat than fucking mexican squid lawnmowers that's programming is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>339898790
If they were going to introduce a Prothean at all, I kind of liked how Javick subverted expectations about all of them being some mystically intelligent race that everyone hyped up by just being another grunt.

But answers to the origins for races like Protheans and Reapers were never going to match the hype of the mysteries about them.
>>
>>339899542
Javik was literally like Black Panther in Civil War

"In my culture..." "My people..." Is gruff, skilled, and prefers to solve things with combat, speaks with generic African accent, is the last of his kind (his family), etc.
>>
>>339899542
Anyone else find the prothean design to be fucking ass?
Instrad of being tall, thin, gracious brings with the power to kill you with their minds or aliens made of stars it's typical boring scales, four eyes and humanoid frame.
BORING! Fucking boring.
>>
>>339899136
For all my issues with the ending, I can kind of sympathize with him. It's easy to pretend that people wouldn't have complained if they had gone a different direction.
>>
>>339899252
Okay you were talking about Wrex living or dying, that has nothing to do with anything you're saying now.

>>339899446
How does changing the motivation from "for your own good" to "for your own good" make the Reapers more menacing?

>>339899282
>shoehorned
Organics vs Synthetics is one of the themes in each Mass Effect game.
>>
>>339899932
Yeah, and it's mostly focused in and resolved with the Geth/Quarian side conflict. Also, just because organics vs. synthetics is a major "theme" doesn't justify that retarded, nonsensical explanation for the Reaper's purpose and existence.
>>
>>339899136
I remember when you help Tali in one of the missions in Mass Effect 2, she explains how the sun nearby aging faster than expected. I'm assuming that it was supposed to play some part in the ending, but nope, not even addressed in Mass Effect 3.

>>339899807
I thought they were fine,
>>
>>339894138
3 got a bad rap because of bandwagon autism, if you liked 1 you will love 2 and 3. 2 is considered to be one of the best games of the last decade.
>>
>>339899932
Well the scrapped one actually was "for your own good" if it meant sentient life was actually capable of destroying the galaxy via space magic fuckery but the ehole "synthetic turn and destroy organic" logic is fucking retarded.
>>
File: ME vision.jpg (316 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ME vision.jpg
316 KB, 1280x720
>>339899807
Works as a template for the Collectors.

Might have have kept them a bit more otherworldy if they hadn't taken the squadmate route.
>>
>>339899932
>Organics vs Synthetics is one of the themes in each Mass Effect game.
hard to take it seriously when in the game, you can have the Geth and Quarians agree to things and you have FUCKING EDI. Who is a AI that is helping you.
>>
>>339900085
>I remember when you help Tali
Yes, what's your point? 1 and 2 have plot threads that don't go anyway. Ever watch a television show before? They set up more things than they plan on using so they have options moving forward, like Tasha Yar's rape colony origins.

>>339900027
I didn't say it justified anything, I said it wasn't shoehorned in.

And what is wrong with the Reapers existing as a rogue AI following it's instructions too autistically? Whether it's the motive we got or the dark energy thing, it's still "we're murdering all organics for organics' own good."
>>
>>339894138
3 is actually amazing. Ignore the autists that say otherwise. 2 is great too, but actually my least favorite gameplay and story wise.
>>
>>339900243
Would have loved it if they made protheans physically different to show that they weren't part of this cycle. Hell they should have made them fucking ethereal with biotics so strong that they don't even need to walk.
>>
>>339900574
Because reapers using autistic, convenient writing logic really means that's what the writers were using because they couldn't come up with or apply a half decent plot.
>>
>>339900376
That's like saying the US worked with Saddam so therefore there's no chance of them ever not being peaceful with each other. Reapers have existed longer and think in longer periods of time than human life spans.
>>
>>339900728
The Reaper's motivations are not the "plot" of any Mass Effect game.
>>
>>339894138
Don't listen to the shitters. If you get the Leviathan and Citadel DLC for ME3, it becomes a complete game. It's disgusting that you need to either pay for the DLC full price on all consoles, though, so I HIGHLY recommend piracy in this case. Get all the DLC.
>>
>>339900853
The plot specifically relating to the reapers, you pedantic slut
>>
>>339900769
Yes. So that would mean that the human-human relationship is the same as the human-machine relationship.The reaper just ended up being some rouge AI that went a bananas. The idea is fine itself, but the delivery was god awful.
>>
>>339895221
Well you gather your party to finish your game - and play the game while gathering your party.

You suffer from autism kid.
>>
>>339894608
>(although in 2's case, it is a pretty good story)
>>
>the monkey data pad robery.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea?
>>
2 is great.

3 feels like a bunch of DLC stapled together. Not a legit game.

Think of it like that and you won't feel as ripped off. Man, EA cut so many corners - I still feel angry.
>>
>>339894138
Play all 3 & form your own opinions instead of going along with the /v/ hivemind.
>>
>>339904696

>Implying only /v/ was angry over the turd that ME3 was.
>>
>>339905101
I actually got into mass effect because of how much people were raging at the ending
"it can't be that bad"
oh silly me
I went into me3 knowing how bad it was gonna be
How everyone said it shit on the player, that it was just a color choice
"they probably just missed something deeper from a codex or a quest" after doing me2
"this is fucking great" after leaving earth "how could they possibly fuck this up"
I don't expect a perfect story, but that
that was just
fuck
>>
>>339894138
If you like 2, then you'll probably like 3 as well, since they really aren't so terribly different. Don't discard it immediately just because of the memes. I personally think 3 is better then 2, and in some ways, like with the combat, its a lot better.
>>
>it's a mountain planet mission with multiple far-away objectives
>>
EA needs to go bankrupt.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.