[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hard difficulty >Enemies have more hp >Enemies deal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1432454576490.png (30 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1432454576490.png
30 KB, 275x200
>Hard difficulty
>Enemies have more hp
>Enemies deal billions of damage
>You deal piss poor damage
>You get two shotted most of the time

Why do most devs have a shitty way of implementing difficulties in vidya?
>>
I'm with you. I hate it.

I can't wait until AI becomes great enough that it effects difficulty in a technique-based manner. I'm tired of playing on a harder difficulty just to find the only 'challenge' is that I have to put more arrows into a monsters brain than before.
>>
>>339862810
Because it's the easiest way.
>>
agreed, though I don't mind increased enemy damage if player damage is also enhanced (to a slighter extent)
>>
>>339862810
I don't mind it if the enemies don't take much more damage to kill. Sure, it'd be nice if both the AI and game mechanics allowed for the gaming equivalent of chess to play out on a harder and harder scale, but they aren't, and no matter how hard you make something technique-wise or how much you try to balance it, there's going to be a 'best way' of doing something that people will latch on to.

Plus, it's not as bad in the New DooM. Most enemies can two- or three-shot you, sure, but they die as easily as before. You just have to use the environment and your increased mobility to play around it. In terms of ramping up difficulty in a good way, I think it's pretty pure.
>>
>>339862810
They don't know how to properly implement it.
>Giving enemies more HP doesn't make it harder, it just makes it take longer, same goes for making you weaker.
>Getting two shotted is usually just based on luck, if you're evasive enough you can pull through its just a matter of tries.

The correct way to make things harder would be to reduce enemy's reaction times and reduce the time between their attacks and such.
To go the extra mile they could give enemies new moves in harder difficulties but thats too much work apparently.
>>
>>339862810
Scalars vs orthogonal mechanics
One is easy to adjust, the other requires new design and creativity.
>>
People keep saying that and never provide good examples.
Some dude.said that's why he plays easy mode in fallout 4, but I play on the hardest dear and can kill most enemies in 1-2 hits
>>
>Easy Difficulty: Enemies do a lot of damage but you deal a great deal more. AI is retarded.

>Normal Difficulty: Enemies deal as much damage as you can, A.I. is standard.

>Hard Difficulty: Enemies deal less damage, you deal less damage, A.I. is super stronk and you get hit with so much you die fast anyway.

The only games I can think of that do this are lightgun games.
>>
I wish more people would do shit like in Metro. You and the enemies die more easily, resources are harder to come by and the HUD helps you way less.
It's easier to make than a new AI but more satisfying than just ramping up enemy damage and HP.
>>
>>339864343
half life 2 comes to mind.
>>
>>339862810
>easy difficult: regular enemies that doesn't use special attacks nor tactics but do a lot of damage
>medium: same enemies but they use some special attacks and basic tactics
>hard: same enemies come with different weapons, use special tactics and do less damage.
Instead of making them hit harder make them hard to beat in general.
>>
>>339863969
As far as I'm aware, in Rabi Ribi, the enemies will just scatter more bullets/have harder patterns.
Which seemed like a really good way to do difficulty. I don't know about damage because the enemies scale based on the items you get, so it's not exactly easy to figure out.
>>
>>339863028
This will never happen because accessibility comes first when it comes to game design nowadays.
>>
>>339864415
I liked Ranger Hardcore in Metro 2033, but after I had completed it, I was kind of empty. I really wanted to enjoy the game's difficulty, and all I ended up doing was conserving a lot of ammo and dying faster.

>>339864737
That's right, HL2 does do that, I forgot. I remember playing House of the Dead 2 on Hard and having my five urns of health turn into three pretty fast because of all the surprise enemies and bullshit that I didn't know about. Starfox comes to mind too, with Expert mode.
>>
>Easy: Enemies use less or no abilities, almost no variety
>Medium: Enemies use abilities but can't use them effectively, sometimes you get a stronger enemy mixed up with the rest
>Hard: Enemies use abilities depending on what you're using the most, enemy combinations are hard to counter and force you to stay active

I can't imagine it being too hard to make.
>>
>>339865465
yet its rarely seen
>>
>>339862810
A.I. Isn't scalable?
>>
>>339865465
Megaman Battle Network kind of does this, but the enemies don't adapt to your playstyle, rather the game gives you enemies it knows you will have trouble with on consecutive playthroughs.
>>
>>339863028
They don't even need "new" AI from the future. Plenty of good examples of enemies and bosses exist. The only difference is that a really good game would implement different scripts and/or give bosses and enemies new moves and patterns on harder/easier difficulties. And/or make new bosses accessible on harder difficulties.

Notable examples that are out there include:
>Ninja Gaiden Black
>Monster Hunter series
>>
>>339863969
>reduce the time between their attacks
Need to be careful with this one. Need to also keep in mind the limits the player has on attack speeds and other animation delays. Or bosses can have specific combos and attacks that they purposefully delay on or must take small breaks or recoveries to balance it out.
>>
>All these people that want effort done on their difficulty modes
>Most people pick Easy/Normal anyways so developers will never put any effort into this
They can't even add new objectives to missions and levels when you are on a higher difficulty, that's how bad things are.
>>
I think Melee has what I'm talking about here: >>339864343 too. Budokai 3 does this too in vs. CPU unless you're doing Dragon Arena.

>>339866112
Metal Gear Solid is pretty good about difficulty, if you play on Normal, you don't get the experience devs intended, but you can get the story. Playing on Hard/Extreme gives you the experience devs wanted, but it's also balls hard Especially European Extreme, where getting sighted means a game over. Only thing about those difficulties that I don't like (In Metal Gear) is the lack of choice you have for dealing with certain scenarios. They kind of fix it in MGS3 with the boss fights, but it's still kind of tame.
>>
>>339866668
>Only thing about those difficulties that I don't like (In Metal Gear) is the lack of choice you have for dealing with certain scenarios

Then it's obviously not the difficulty the dev intended. Not all games are intended to be balls to the walls hard. They used to just include that because people were used to it in NES/SNES era games.
>>
>>339867298
I think hard mode is definitely the way they wanted you to enjoy the game. Extreme is a bit overboard, I'll agree, but normal seems kind of substandard for the series in terms of what you're allowed to do and how you're allowed to enjoy the game.
>>
Been a long while since I played, but wasn't there a quirk to the STALKER difficulties? The harder options meant more accurate weapons, for both enemies and the player? Something akin to that. Thought it was neat but odd
>>
File: MKMS.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
MKMS.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>339868252
You take the same amount of damage in this game, but they limit the amount of continues and lives you can have.

That should be a thing too, if games still use continues.
>>
>>339862810
>RTS games
>AI cheats and gets more money

Hate this shit. Not sure since it's been so long, but Seven kingdoms II avoided this.

Instead of difficulty you had "Computer player aggressiveness" and you could set the level to be low, medium or high. Made for some pretty fun games where you and the AI players would cover the map until there was nowhere left to expand and then huge wars would break out.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.