[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to this game ? It had so much potential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Evil_Genius_Coverart.png (168 KB, 256x363) Image search: [Google]
Evil_Genius_Coverart.png
168 KB, 256x363
What happened to this game ?

It had so much potential
>>
nothing happened to it
it's a good game but has many flaws and it never got a sequel
>>
>>339800346
STALKER has flaws

And it got a sequel/prequel
>>
I am playing it right now and i am not really feeling it.

>>Having to tag intruders for your security/minions to actually care about them is dumb and needless busy work.
>>The grand map is boring
>> no way to increase the game speed
>> empty rooms everywhere since you barely place anything in them
>>boring traps so far
>>
>>339800631
it gets better as it goes

thats the only way I can explain me putting ridiculous amount of hours into the game
>>
I just wanted another Dungeon Keeper.
>>
>>339800731
I am going to get to the second island at least but do you at least get more traps and more stuff to put into your rooms?
>>
>>339800539
Be quiet, you'll break the "Russian games aren't shit, they are the greatest games ever made" hivemind and we'll get invaded by literal Russian shills.
>>
>>339800927
You'll get to research them, steal them etc. as the game progresses
>>
>>339800946
Ey fuck you buddy

STALKER is the most fun you can have with a PC
>>
>>339800267

>they stopped releasing games like dungeon keeper and evil genius

Why?
>>
>>339800267
It came on PC when PC was in pirate era.
Better question - why nobody clone it yet.
>>
>>339801773
you have war for the overworld

but that's shit because they copy dungeon keeper 2 instead of 1. (and various other reasons too)
>>
>>339801773
because it's not a popular genre.

All we get are some indie clones of the great games past, but guess what, they all share the similar flaw: There's nothing to do past couple of hours into the game.

Nothing to unlock, no hand-crafted single-player, so you're stuck doing the same chore and watching how your "dungeon" sustains itself or just blaze through the levels.

I cna name at least 10 keeper-likes that suffer from this fault and i've yet to find a game that is fully interesting from start to end while also being decent in lenght.
>>
>>339800927

>stockpile a whole fucking lot of money before going to the second island
>pause the game
>plan out EVERYTHING, including an entrance dedicated to be trap hell
>after two hours, my grand base is ready to be excavated
>like 15 minutes of minions setting dynamite next to one wall goes by, then 70% of the mountain is blown up
>build the perfect base
>admire
>quit
>>
>>339800267
Is it good?
>>
>>339803814
Pretty much this.

Game had a lot of potential, and is fine for what it was - but once you finish building a base there's essentially nothing more to be done but sit there tagging intruders.

Game could have used with either randomly generated islands, or a more involved macro game. Possibly both, so it was possible to build an unlimited number of bases, and doing so would reciprocate with whatever incentives there were on the global domination board.
>>
File: 1288927100879.jpg (17 KB, 354x225) Image search: [Google]
1288927100879.jpg
17 KB, 354x225
>>339800796
Do you dorf?

Because you should, it scratches that same itch quite nicely.
>>
>>339800631
>>Having to tag intruders for your security/minions to actually care about them is dumb and needless busy work.
Just change the alert level, i think yellow alert makes then nab people they see in the base or on security cam.

>>The grand map is boring
Just a general map to earn cash/treasures but not sure what else they could do with it.

>> empty rooms everywhere since you barely place anything in them
Trust me that doesnt last long, I always seem to run out of space to put shit after I start unlocking equipment.

>>boring traps so far
Gotta unlock them, biggest part of the trap system is setting up a chain of traps. I had one setup that blew enemy agents into and endless wind tunnel loop.

I think my biggest grievance with the game is how slow you generate cash, a lot of waiting around. After my first play through I just cheat added cash every time so I could build interesting layouts and get minions trained. Overall I think the game was a solid 7, maybe 8.
>>
File: 1461583815166.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461583815166.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
>mfw finding out about the sequel
>>
>>339809969
please no why did you remind me ;_;
>>
>>339800539
Stalker was ugly, buggy and balanced like an upside down pyramid, but all the parts that actually make a game good were there. Sneaking around, finding all the hidden loot, trying to psyche the AI, sitting on a radioactive bulldozer in the dead of night and listening to bloodsuckers having very unusual sex somewhere nearby, it was an experience. It still is. Evil Genius, on the other hand... traps, a huge part of the game, just didn't work, or actively made things more difficult for you than they did for enemy agents. Depending on minion AI, henchmen and the awkward, expensive and power-sucking security networks meant that every single incident had a potential to spiral into a $500,000 calamity, small number of minions combined with high minion diversity meant that said calamity would also cost you several hours of your life you had to spend doing nothing but waiting for your dead minions to be retrained, social minions all targeted different stats which made them worthless for subterfuge, saboteur and soldier type agents tended to find ways to blow themselves up, which would give them heat, then they would proceed to stand somewhere mowing down your minions by the dozen, and so on, and so forth. The game was a fucking mess of disappointments and wasted opportunities. AND it took about twice as long to finish as it had hours of entertainment in it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.