[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is videogame journalism filled with pasty white hipsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 24
File: hipster_baseball.jpg (207 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
hipster_baseball.jpg
207 KB, 500x400
Why is videogame journalism filled with pasty white hipsters with degrees in Journalism and English?
>>
File: screen059.png (420 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
screen059.png
420 KB, 640x400
>>339791180
Because they have to go somewhere and videogame 'journalism' is the only field with shitty enough standards to take them. Post your favourite video game.
>>
>>339791180
Because they can't get a job anywhere else.
>>
>degrees in journalism

Try again
>>
File: german engineering.gif (2 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
german engineering.gif
2 MB, 480x320
>>339791180
both my brother and ex have degrees in journalism and English. Neither of them use it and realize it was a huge waste of time.
I guess they also realize how much of a waste it is so they do everything they can to make it seem "relevant"
>>
File: 1436469479357.jpg (21 KB, 249x231) Image search: [Google]
1436469479357.jpg
21 KB, 249x231
>Graduated with Journalism degree
>Still can't find a job
>It's been six months

What's going to happen to me?
>>
>>339791509
Well if you enjoy something you should study it, but anything that has a rough jobmarket you should really prepare a backup plan.
>>
>>339791180
>Why would a journalist have a degree in journalism
>Why would most journalists be white in a country which is mostly populated by white people?
>Why is such an unmasculine job filled by hipsters instead of masculine people?
>>339791464
>Try again
No, don't encourage him.
>>
>>339791449
Anything from local advertisement, to artist descriptions, business statements, product summaries. So many things you can do with an English degree. I suck with words, but a few of my friends don't. Writing about games would be a laughable suggestion to them.
>>
>>339791509
I was watching this town hall meeting thing where obama was answering questions from rando citizens (pre screened of course) and this one lady gets up and asks the following question (paraphrasing)

"Mr. Obama you talk a lot about STEM eduction efforts. As a teacher I often feel like liberal arts is left behind in the conversation. What is your opinion on the value of liberal arts education?"

I swear it took all of his willpower to not just tell her that liberal arts degrees are fucking useless and that's why nobody talks about encouraging kids to study those subjects.
>>
>>339791662
Do you have contacts? If not things don't look good. How much work did you go out of your way to do while studying? Have you ever had anything published? Do you blog or something? What makes you more hire-able than the average kotaku writer?
>>
>>339791662
Hustle with your skills. You went to college, use your leveled abilities.
>>
>>339791464
My ex took a degree in journalism and made fun of me for taking business. She works at Starbucks and I own a rather successful business.

feels good
>>
>>339791662
Well first...
YOU COULD START A FUCKING BLOG IF YOU'RE SO GOOD
>>
>>339791662
How good are you with blowjobs?
>>
>>339791180
>degrees in Journalism
Is this supposed to be wrong?
>>
>>339791662
my cousin did well with her journo degree
the thing is shes been doing journo shit even before she got it
now shes working on some local news network
>>
This from the new season of Trailer Park Boys or something?
>>
>>339791180
Not smart enough to learn computer science and make games. Those who can't create will critique.
>>
File: tumblr_m1zveac7nl1qiaw7xo1_500.jpg (19 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1zveac7nl1qiaw7xo1_500.jpg
19 KB, 500x449
I'm currently majoring in English to be a novelist. Is there something wrong with me, /v/?
>>
>>339791913
desu you didn't even need your degree to start your own business tho.

There's nothing stopping a buttfuck arts major from owning their own business if they have the drive. Generally most do not which is why they majored in a hobby to begin with.
>>
>>339792113
>going to university to learn things you can learn on your own.
If you aren't doing STEM, economics, law or business don't bother.
>>
>>339792113
Nah follow ya dreams brah.
>>
>>339792113
Probably. How's your writing? Do you have anything you particularly want to say? Have you ever been told that you have a talent for writing? Do you write a lot? Do you just want people to suck your dick for being wise and famous? Who are your favourite writers?

You might be very, very fucked.
>>
>>339792113
Nope, keep doing what you like. Don't give in to the neo-liberal haters.
>>
>>339791861
>Contacts? No

>Published materials? Yes

>Blog? A video game review site my friends and I run. We've fallen behind since my graduation due to scheduling and (my lack of) money.

>Why should I be hired?
Because I'm willing to write and report for fucking cheap with the effort of a farm horse. I don't give a shit if it's related to my hobbies or not. I'll find an angle, trust me.
>>
>>339791180
>tfw you'll never coddle john belushi
>>
>>339791775

Except white people aren't the majority
>>
>Journalist have a degree in Journalism

Hmm....
>>
>>339792225
You can learn STEM on your own, dumass.
>>
>>339792220
You're right, you don't. However, it's really useful to have the right knowledge so you business doesn't go down the literal shitter like 95% of people who don't know what they are doing.
>>
File: AAAA.png (868 KB, 435x861) Image search: [Google]
AAAA.png
868 KB, 435x861
>Comp sci major
>Still have no fucking clue what I'm doing with my life, but I want it to somehow involve videogames

Am I doomed to work for some massive company like EA and get paid like shit while I work overtime?
>>
>>339792259
If you can barely run this blog that's so shit you aren't even willing to link it here I don't really believe that you're a dynamo of a reporter that the world is missing out on.

>>339792307
We still have James. James was in Thief.
>>
>Can't even get into real journalism (which barely exists)
>More often than not bad at videogames

If you're spending this much time devoted to something you should be good at it.
>>
File: 1436067312604.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1436067312604.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>339792364
>>
>>339792378
No one in a STEM field is going to hire you without a degree you mongoloid.
>>
File: sss hockey.gif (4 MB, 468x246) Image search: [Google]
sss hockey.gif
4 MB, 468x246
>>339791820
not that I have any knowledge in the subject but I feel like those types of degrees are for people who don't know what they want to do. Also in order to actually get a job after uni you need to start looking for connections while you are finishing up school, not after. If you are not retarded you could probably excel with any degree except womens studies
>>
>>339792449
lol
>>
File: chris.png (245 KB, 533x499) Image search: [Google]
chris.png
245 KB, 533x499
>mfw a bunch of my friends are successful journalists in NYC and none of them have a journalism degree

literally about who you know and if you can write well. also, journalists, next to lawyers, are the scum of the fucking earth.
>>
>>339791758
yeah, in your free time

don't waste tens of thousands of dollars simply because you enjoy something, that's literally why this country is going down the tubes. too many parents telling their kids "you can be whatever you want to be sweetie, follow your dreams!"

no, follow the money. do something worthwhile that pays. or don't and work at 7eleven, whatever.
>>
>>339792605
Fuck I am glad the clickbait bubble is coming to an end.
>>
>>339792440
I'm not dynamo. That's the problem. As for the blog, I'm afraid to link it here on 4chan. Never seen anyone share their personal/professional files on here. Why should I?
>>
>>339792730
What does that mean?
>>
>>339792415
I think going EA is a best case scenario for you

Just start fucking around with all those free game engines, man. Either build a portfolio while you get money from something else or gamble it all on video games right away
>>
>>339792687
>Journalists and lawyers are the scum of the earth
Nowhere near the level of Paparazzi and politicians
>>
>>339792748
You shouldn't. Who knows who's going too see it and how he will use the information.
>>
File: legdrop.gif (1006 KB, 297x220) Image search: [Google]
legdrop.gif
1006 KB, 297x220
>>339792730
I thought Gwaker was just looking to sell, cant imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to take it over after Hogans leg drop
>>
>>339792384
this, I'm learning the hard way.
There is nothing wrong with arming yourself with the right tools. I only know audio/video production, and I was home schooled. Completely fucked myself. But even in that, I've been able to get a functioning business going through the right financial advisement. Without people trained in the art of making money, it would have been a near next to impossible task. Business degrees are cool, and I want one.
>>
>>339792605
Has this shit blown over yet?
>>
>>339792748
Yea don't link it, it's a good call.
>>
>>339792925
That was my train of thought, but thanks for spelling it for him, I guess?
>>
>>339792884
paparazzi are just the lowest tier journalist

they are the scum that floats on top of the scum
>>
>>339792010
>my cousin did well with her journo degree
>her

well no shit
>>
>>339792884
journalists and paparazzi are in the same league and will both do low low shit for their job
>>
>>339792687
What's wrong with lawyers?
>>
>>339791180
Because it's really easy to be a white male and complain about fucking white males

A
FUCKING
WHITE
MALE
>>
>>339791180

You almost answered your own question. Online journalism is a low-end job within their field, a field that has always appealed to the liberal-minded. Who are you expecting to write your shitty video game reviews, Walter Cronkite?
>>
>>339792748
I've shared my email address which has my full name in it before on 4chan, what's the problem? Marc Arimini (academic who loves /lit/'s favourite meme-author) answers personal questions on /lit/. What's the worst that could happen to you?

And if you aren't a dynamo you need to network like a fucking madman starting now. That's the real secret to how shit like >>339792605 happens. That guy might know fuck-all about video games and writing, but I bet he knows some connected people. And you should too, you won't get a job hanging out on /v/, go hang out with some pink-haired people, they'll all know at least 3 professional journalists.

>>339792687
How are lawyers on par with journalists? Do you know how much of our courses are devoted to ethics? Do you know how much we have to give before it starts paying off? Do you know what a community law-center is? How dare you compare lawyers to the subhumans that are journalists?
>>
>>339793134
they knowingly defend guilty people for money
>>
I wouldn't mind sleeping with indie devs in exchange for good reviews, should I become a video game journalist?
>>
>>339793157
>I've shared my email address which has my full name in it before on 4chan, what's the problem? Marc Arimini (academic who loves /lit/'s favourite meme-author) answers personal questions on /lit/. What's the worst that could happen to you?
>And if you aren't a dynamo you need to network like a fucking madman starting now.
well don't tell them how it works! You're spilling the beans!
>>
>>339793157
no one cares lawfag. you will defend a piece of literal garbage for a nickel, just wait and see.
>>
>>339793157
>What's the worst that could happen to you?

It should be understood that I don't want to find out, hence not sharing anything related to me. I'm honestly glad nothing bad came of you posting your personal e-mail on 4chan, but it's not something I have the stones for. Sorry.
>>
>>339793294
fag
>>
>>339793273
That's not why lawyers are scummy. It's important that that system is in place. Could you imagine if those who were considered guilty couldn't be defended? It would be fucking chaos
>>
>>339791180

pasty white hipsters are my fetish
>>
>>339793414
i understand why the system is in place. i am glad for it. it still makes those who pursue the profession scumbags.
>>
>>339793273
They're giving fair representation to people. Would you rather accused parties not be allowed any sort of defense? Then Johnny Law could accuse you of anything he wants and you go straight to jail.
>>
>>339793138
triggered
>>
>>339792605
Controversial opinion.
I kinda agree with this.
>>
>>339793273
Social liberal right? Because they're the only ones that believe in guilty until proven innocent outside of military doctrine these days.
>>
>>339793549
like i said, understanding and appreciating the system that is in place does not mean i don't find lawyers to be shitheads who are ambulance chasers or garbage who got into it to make a bunch of money defending trash like them
>>
>>339793661
You need to go back to /pol/
>>
>>339793661
nope. my viewpoint is shared by many people, not tied to any specific ideology.
>>
>>339793660
It's not a controversial opinion. However people who work with games for a living don't have any excuse for not being good at games. It's their job, they should be able to perform it to a professional level. Can you trust someone who is bad at something to be able to accurately describe what they're talking about? That's like asking /v/ about sex with a woman.
>>
>>339793660
Yeah but the reason he wrote it was to defend that faggot who couldn't play doom wasting 30 mins of peoples time.

People saying 'git gud' instead of helping out is a real problem though.
>>
>>339793351
Somebody's has to. 'Garbage' deserves the same access to justice as you.

>>339793535
Think of lawyers as a part of the system. Even the ones who get rapists and murderers out of jail on technicalities and uncertainties. Flexibility, discretion and favouring the accused are all safeguards of justice and your well-being.

>>339793273
The law doesn't operate on your opinions asshole.

>>339793786
They aren't guilty until a court decides they are. They defend people who are 'not guilty' and try to prevent them from becoming 'guilty.'
>>
>>339793693
well okay then.
>>
>>339793660
For your average gamer I agree, you can still have fun even if you're shit at the game. Of course you can. But for a person who makes their living off of criticizing games they should at least be somewhat competent at games.

With that guy that played through DOOM on Polygon it was clear the guy had little to no experience with FPS. So as a result he showcased the game awfully and made it look like shit, because of how shit he was. Of course there will be people that play it that are even worse than him, but those people aren't getting paid to put it on display
>>
>>339791180
Same reason all that Snowden shit happened. The feds control all media now. That'll ultimately be the current prez's real legacy, just like Bush's real legacy was the end of privacy.
>>
>All of these faggots shitting on journalists
>All the shit the current events they bitch about were reported by journalists
Video game journalism is an oxymoron, but that doesn't discredit the entire field.
>>
>>339792113
You don't need an English degree to be a novelist.
>>
>>339793969
so you're saying no one is guilty until it's proven? that's bullshit. the lawyer knows when their client is guilty of the crime they are on trial for, and then they still defend them.

my problem isn't with the system. i'm glad the system exists for people, because without it there would be no way for people who are not guilty to defend themselves. but everyone is not innocent of the crime, and the lawyer knows all the facts and still tries to get them off.

lawyers are still scum, i don't know where you get the idea that everyone is innocent. clearly this isn't the case or there would be no crime.
>>
>>339794129
>the gay president who manipulated the media

pretty much, feel like such a dumb ass for voting him in.
>>
>>339792605
>>339793660
ALL BECAUSE PEOPLE MADE FUN OF POLYGON’S TERRIBLE DOOM VIDEO

ALL THIS CRYING

GROWN MEN GET SO FURIOUSLY UPSET WITH BEING TOLD THEY ARE BAD AT A VIDEO GAME

"I shouldn't have to be good at video games" says the man whose job is literally to be good at video games

That seems to be the thing he’s missing, nobody is jumping on random people, it’s these people who PLAY GAMES AS THEIR JOB.

>Here’s a video showcasing this new game

>Here’s my playthrough of a game you’re watching for entertainment

of course he’s deliberately missing it, cause if he considered that he wouldn’t be able to make that really pathetic play for the moral highground
>>
>>339794129
>Same reason all that Snowden shit happened. The feds control all media now.
Where did you read about the Snowden leaks? How did you hear about it? Who conducted, and continue to conduct interviews with Snowden and other whistleblowers? Who received combed through, and reported on the terabytes of documents that were the Panama Papers?
>>
File: 5gt4FnM.png (24 KB, 759x364) Image search: [Google]
5gt4FnM.png
24 KB, 759x364
>tfw you're NOT a gaming journalist

feels fucking good
>>
>>339794301
His job isn't to be good at video games. That's an esport players job. His job is to GOOD ENOUGH at games to be able to properly criticize them, which he clearly wasn't
>>
>>339794380
I feel as if expressing yourself when it comes to games is easier on /v/ than anywhere else, even in groups of friends.

Being a journo would just suck every little thing you loved about games out of you, just like your pic related.
>>
File: emotional skill.png (57 KB, 575x558) Image search: [Google]
emotional skill.png
57 KB, 575x558
>>339794430
There's a lot of ableism stemming from your post so maybe you should address that :')
>>
>>339794227
>no one is guilty until it's proven
exactly
>that's bullshit
that's the system

And you can't really 'know' that somebody's guilty. If it's possible to convince a court otherwise then it was never a clear-cut matter in the first place. Judges and magistrates aren't stupid people, they're higher up the law tree than the average lawyer will ever get. They can't be fucked with or memed on like you'll see on tv. I've seen some clever lawyers push some dubious shit through, but that's always been little shit like whether this person was 'selling' drugs or merely 'possessing' them.

>I don't know where you get the idea that everyone is innocent
It's the basis of all trials. People start clean and need to be proven not to be. If you can't prove they aren't beyond reasonable doubt then get the fuck out and leave the good citizen alone.
>>
File: pound of flesh.jpg (592 KB, 1999x1499) Image search: [Google]
pound of flesh.jpg
592 KB, 1999x1499
>>339791180
First of all they don't have degrees in Journalism.
Secondly Game Journos are best described as whores or at the very least Marketers because that is all that they are.
There is no integrity and there never has been.
Here is why.

You can review a game on actual objective qualities when it comes out OR a company can give you an early copy of the game in return for good publicity.
The the former takes patience and the general public is not patient.
>>
>>339794512
But visual novels exist. And to some extent some RPGs require "emotional skill", although skill isn't really the right word I spose. You're not "skilled" for having picked a dialogue option.
>>
>>339794512
EMOTIONAL SKILL
MOTIONAL SKILL
OTIONAL SKILL
TIONAL SKILL
IONAL SKILL
ONAL SKILL
NAL SKILL
AL SKILL
L SKILL

SKILL
KILL
ILL
LL
L

brb, gotta go hang myself in the shower.
>>
>>339794697
not every game should be about skill or "fun"
>>
>>339794512
It’s funny how whenever ableism is brought up in the context of this argument it always lines up perfectly, by sheer coincidence, with the personal preferences of the person making the argument and stops immediately at that point.

Like, it’s always
>I don’t enjoy the combat in this game
>AND AS A SHEER COINCIDENCE, APROPOS OF NOTHING, IT’S ALSO ABLEIST,
>BUT I PROMISE MY PREFERENCE IS NOT INFLUENCING MY CONCERN AT ALL

They never also bring up the issues color-blind people have with games

They never advocate making puzzles optional for people who have some sort of disability to prevent them from comprehending them.

They never advocate skipping dialogue sections in games because some people are unable to understand social situations or read face and body language.

It’s just curious to me how their concern for the differently-abled hard stops the moment it no longer lines up with their personal preferences, almost like they’re motivated by self-interest rather than altruism, but hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>339794525
that's not true. the client tells the lawyer all the facts of the case. "then i stabbed the guy, can you get me off?"

so if the cops didn't read him his rights, or some other stupid loophole, the lawyer gets the guilty man off and gets paid big bucks.

i'm not talking about the system and innocent before proven guilty, i get that and that's an important aspect for judges and people convicted of crimes, because innocent people need a chance to prove that.

i'm talking about GUILTY PEOPLE, who ARE guilty of the crime, not what they have to prove in court. are you just stupid or is that enough of an explanation for you? it's a scummy practice and most lawyers are in it for the money.
>>
>>339794749
Why does this guy feel the need to latch on to video games even though he doesn't like video games? I imagine he would be happy if he did something that made him happy.
>>
Wow, it sure is vidya in this thread.
>>
>>339794687
>1 2 3
>5 4 6
I guess the editors are corrupt too.
>>
>>339794879
Because it makes him money
>>
>>339794754
Not that guy, but it's not supposed to just be about wether the guy is guilty or not. Even if he is guilty he needs legal protection, for instance to stop people being forced to confess for additional crimes they didn't commit, or to be sentenced for a worse crime than the one they actually committed, both things which police and prosecutors always try to do.
>>
>>339794753
It's ableism though, it's something entirely different.

These people are still abled, just not skilled.
>>
File: fun is gendered.png (82 KB, 657x612) Image search: [Google]
fun is gendered.png
82 KB, 657x612
>>
File: birt.jpg (25 KB, 541x569) Image search: [Google]
birt.jpg
25 KB, 541x569
>>339795195
>Games shouldn't let the player control their character
>>
>>339795085
it is about whether they are guilty when they are guilty. its scummy to defend a guilty person when you know they're guilty. the client confesses to the lawyer and gives him all the facts.

if you don't understand what i'm trying to say (which i've explained 7 times in detail) just forget it. lawyers are saints who have never done anything unscrupulous or underhanded in all of history.
>>
>>339792364
Epic
>>
>>339791180
Because woman aren't interested in the degree and blacks can't spell the word 'journalism'.
>>
File: mcintosh.png (27 KB, 613x204) Image search: [Google]
mcintosh.png
27 KB, 613x204
What did he mean by this
>>
>>339794187
This is what they don't tell you.
>>
>>339794687
>beer's

Goddammit, I hate it when great satire is ruined by typos.
>>
>>339795550
slander, misreprestation and lies =/= criticism
>>
>>339795550
There isn't a war against fun, there's a wealth of faggots phoning it in, like this douchemonger planting a scarecrow to fight against.
>>
>>339795550
>There is no fight against fun.

Bullfuckingshit
>>
File: 1396372959765.gif (632 KB, 232x196) Image search: [Google]
1396372959765.gif
632 KB, 232x196
>>339795195
I don't even know how to react to this.
>>
Because tech industries are focused in very liberal areas geographically and video games specifically have always been a cutting edge thing, which means left leaning rather then right leaning.

>>339794129
>actually believing that fake leak about the gamefaqs poll
>>
>>339795731
's can be a contraction of 'is', as in "the beer is in the post".
>>
>>339795550
There is indeed a war on criticism and ironically it's the critics themselves that want to see critique come to an end.
>>
>>339794339
The internet.

Now why do you think they started taking over the internet immediately after that happened? And why do you think those aren't reported on anymore?
>>
>>339794512
The emotional skill shit aside, she has a point

everybody acts like fast reflexs to get the first shot in is all that matters in FPS games

nobody cares about teamwork, map control, etc anymore
>>
>>339795384
And you don't know anything about the system do you? Some guy gets into a fight and accidentally kills someone, next thing you know, the state is accusing him of a premeditated murder. That's not fair at all. Cops and prosecutors always do this kind of shit, even the guilty people need representation.
>>
>>339794754
'Committed the crime' and 'guilty' are two completely different things anon. And without protection who the hell knows where a court trial could go? It's not just one big issue that's the focus whenever people go into court, have you ever actually looked at a piece of legislation? They're big, unwieldy things and without professional help you can get hurt pretty badly by them. It's often not a clear matter of guilty or not and the quality of legal representation available can determine whether somebody gets screwed or not by something that isn't 100% clear. In those cases I think it's always a good thing that strong defense lawyers exist.

>>339795384
Lawyers don't hide facts and any who does is in deep shit. Lawyers help the courts interpret facts. That's what courts do, they interpret facts. Of course a defense lawyer will look for the interpretation that favours their client but all they can do is find what's already there in legislation and case history and shine a light on it. What is done with this interpretation is ultimately out of their hands.

As I see it, no lawyer actually ever does anything unscrupulous or underhanded because the system doesn't allow it. All lawyers are agents of their respective court systems, if you have a problem with how lawyers operates you have a problem with your court system.
>>
>>339796114
But people do, wanna know where? Comp gaming. Either that or get some friends that dont suck faggot dick.
>>
>>339792605
In all seriousness I wish the git gud cult of personality surrounding Dark Souls would end. It's fucking annoying and then you see them in other threads being shit at even easier games.
>>
>>339791180
Don't you mean without any kind of degree or even education?
>>
>>339793273
So basically anyone who has been accused of committing a crime is guilty, right?
>>
>>339796268
ok, kid
>>
>>339795195
>Playing monopoly with some friends
>I roll an 8
>I move someone else's piece

yeah this is great
>>
File: 1464688480877.gif (344 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1464688480877.gif
344 KB, 256x192
>>339796457
>>
>>339791662
You're going to stop posting about career prospects on 4chan because it's just going to demoralize the fuck out of you and hamper your job search. You need to be diligent no matter how long it takes.

The advice others have given you is actually mostly solid, minus all the "you're fucked" bits. Ignore all that. You're not fucked. You just need to keep searching. The majority of job opportunities today are mostly luck and "right place, right time." Connections obviously helps circumvent this, but finding a job without them isn't impossible. Once you get some work experience from your first real job, future searches become much easier.

Chin up, and consider broadening your job search. You know how to write. That's applicable in a multitude of industries.
>>
>>339796114
>nobody cares about teamwork, map control, etc anymore

All of those things are far more helpful and provide an even greater advantage to someone who is also fast and precise, dumb dumb. That's why twitch reflexes are so important.
>>
Sigh... No, just...no.

I just opened a pale ale and lit a cigarillo and YET I have to leave those repasts because ONCE AGAIN a stupid baby man white straight male is on line demeaning people like myself.

Yes, I like feminie things. So what? SO WHAT? it's not the sixties any more!

And how dare you even think of talking me down and what I like to study? Yes, I have studied journalism, at least I have a job that reaches a wider audience and influences minds positively unlike this misogynistic cesspool, this miasma of machismo of a site.

You'll never have sex. I've had sex with plenty of ladies in loving relationships and yes some of them have been open relationships but it's more than YOU will ever get haha.

And I don't see how hipster is a pejorative word either - it's 2016, it must hurt to not be hip, honey. You just spend all day here crying about female game characters and minorities and women in gaming!
>>
>>339794754
>GUILTY PEOPLE, who ARE guilty of the crime, not what they have to prove in court.
How do you know they're guilty if you haven't proven it?
Would you rather a kangaroo court system where every suspect is fed to the fucking wolves?
Public defenders are a bit detestable but it's better for one guilty person to get off light or go free than for ten innocents to wrongly get imprisoned
>>
>>339791180
"Why is a form of journalism filled with journalists?"
Gee I have no fuckin clue.
>>
>>339791509
Underated post.
>>
>>339791662
Start up an independent blog and fill with it screeds talking about how womankind and other minorities are being unfairly marginalized by the white-cis-hetero patriarchy and how this negatively impacts video games.

Chances are you'll be a regular columnist at one of the many progressive journalistic publications by the end of the week.
>>
>>339791180
Because everybody else is too busy actually playing video games
>>
>>339791180

Because gamers don't pay for news content and aren't great targets for advertisers. Generally their girlfriends / wives make most of the household purchasing decisions.

Therefore there's no money for game jurnos.

Therefore it's filled with people who's greatest ambition is getting hired at Jezebel and making 'real money'.
>>
>>339791180
>degrees
You wish.
>>
>>339796526
>you know how to write
To be fair to all of the 'you're fucked' posters, all we've seen are a couple of unremarkable 4chan posts. Who says anon can write?

Anon needs to network, right the fuck now. Join the shittiest hiring blog you find, even if you have to work for free. Then suck your bosses dick until he tells you about other people in the industry he knows and suggest that maybe he can tell them how agreeable and hard-working you are.

It's your only hope, what else is going to happen? One day you'll read in the paper that IGN are hiring, you'll nail the interview and that's your career settled?

NETWORKING
>>
Protip: STEM is a meme too, and is massively oversubscribed.

The best thing to do is industry training, in a mixture of study and work based learning.
>>
>work at a library
>nobody talks
>nobody asks you to do shit
>steal food from the cafe
>shitpost all day

:3
>>
>>339796772
I just assumed that graduating with a Journalism degree would demand some competency in writing. I made that argument to encourage anon to leverage that skill in other fields than just game journalism or journalism in general.
>>
>>339796793
STEM isn't a meme, it's just that you have to be in the top of your class to do anything with it instead of being a guaranteed job.
>>
>>339791180
>journalists being journalists
I see no problem here.

>english
None either.
>>
>>339797178
>graduating with a journalism degree would demand some competency in writing
most people who aren't retarded can write competently. I'd imagine the rest is quite easy to pick up once you get into.
>>
>>339797205
>top of your class
nah
just internship experience
>>
>>339791180
LGTSS
>polygon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwg6RTjCH7g
>>
>>339791509
My brother also got a degree in Journalism and English. He looked for 4 years for a job in that field without finding it.
Eventually he went back and got a degree in mechatronics and found work instantly after graduation.
>>
>>339797308
Or higher education/undergrad research experience. You can't just do problems all day and expect to be good at STEM. You have to learn how to find your own shit.

I can't tell you how many engineers I met don't known how to fucking read published papers.
>>
>>339797706
You mean they don't know how to read?
>>
>>339791820
Obama majored in political science
>>
>>339797818
You don't need to be that great of a thinker to excel as an engineer undergrad.

They know how to read. They don't know how to interpret.
>>
>>339797848
He's a constitutional lawyer, though. He knew his degree was just to get from one place to another.
>>
>>339798008
Isn't there an abstract so they don't have to interpret?
>>
>>339792113
The chances of you actually becoming a novelist at a young age are incredibly low. The only young writer of any note was Paolini, and even he only got his shit published because his parents were publishers. And even if you do get past publishing, the pay isn't very good. If you want to be a writer your best bet is to settle for something else and write shit in your spare time. And I guarantee you, if you think you can do novels just because you can do short stories, you're going to be in for a rude awakening the first time you really try.
>>
>>339798131
Do what Cormac McCarthy did and become a McArthur Fellow
>>
>>339798110
Only useful to a certain extent, and that assumes you know what to look for
>>
File: 1463669089049.jpg (57 KB, 569x544) Image search: [Google]
1463669089049.jpg
57 KB, 569x544
>NEET
>never went to college
>stopped going to high school in freshman year
>no GED
>literally live entirely off of inheritance and do whatever I want all day
>have enough money left to live at least another ten years even in the worst case scenario
>mfw the pathetic wageslaves in this thread
>>
>>339798640
>another ten years
unless you're planing on ending it at that point, you're going to be shit out luck in 10 years
>>
>>339798640
>So lonely he needs to beg for attention on a korean wood carving board.
>>
>>339792605
I agree with you don't need to be good at videogames to enjoy them, but crying about "git gut" is just autism
>>
>>339798640
So, do you plan on killing yourself eventually or what?
>>
>>339798836
>thinking there's a reason to live after 30

yikes, kid. it's gonna hit you hard.
>>
>>339798931
>implying video games will ever die
they will live forever in my heart
>>
>>339798441
I just wiki'd him and he was first published at age 32, I don't know what you're even talking about.
>>
>>339798926
Obviously.
>>
>>339798640
Literally got a free pass to pursue your interests, don't fuck this up. (and that is what you're doing)

I'm in the same situation, but I'm trying hard to change it. Actually attempt to do something I would enjoy for a living as opposed to being 'forced into'. A lot can change in 5 years, let alone 10.
>>
>>339794301
>>339794057
>>339793843
>>339793830
Oh so THAT'S what that's about.

yeah.
Guy was shitty at it and it was hilarious. How do you play games for so long and still suck so bad.
>>
>>339799002
Dude was dirt poor savant who types his way to fame
>>
>>339799414
I never meant that it was impossible to make money writing, but the chances of actually making a well-paying career out of it are pretty low.
>>
>>339796879
Fuck you river
>>
>>339800062

' ^ '
>>
>>339791180
>pasty white hipsters
>white
stfu and gtfo SJW
>>
>>339791180
>with degrees in Journalism and English?
And why do mechanics take classes to learn how to fix cars!?
>>
> degrees in Journalism and English

I wish
>>
I love how that one Uncharted 4 review that shit on it actually seemed like the only one that comes from an educated background. It so succinctly described the series as a whole and whats wrong with in. that so many other reviews don't bother to do when assessing the games. And of course people hated it.
>>
>>339794749
>Today I'm going to post something that is blatantly obvious to anyone with a functioning brain, but phrase it as if I am blessing people with insider information.

>But I also have to paint myself as morally superior to anyone that wants to feel powerful playing video games for my good boy points.
McIntosh is a dangerously stupid individual. I hope he takes a break from wafting in his own farts to realize he is an actual crazy person that needs to fuck off.
>>
File: tliI7ww.jpg (491 KB, 977x1110) Image search: [Google]
tliI7ww.jpg
491 KB, 977x1110
>>339793660
It's okay for people like you and I to be bad at games but that faggot is getting paid money and receiving free shit in order to write about games and review them. He should at least meet a minimum skill requirement for the subject he's writing about. That's like hiring a nuclear physicist who only has a theoretical degree in that field of science.
>>
>>339794301
>"I shouldn't have to be good at video games" says the man whose job is literally to be good at video games
Actually his job is to write clickbait bullshit day in day out while shilling whatever games he's told to by his higher ups.
>>
>>339791180
>degrees
lol
>>
>>339791509
that dragon's a female gosh diggity darn it
>>
Why are videogame """""""""""""""""""""""""""joutnlianits" allowed to give games reviews I do not agree with? FUCK this unethical
>>
>>339794129
>that image
Thanks for reminding me that neo-/v/ is so retarded that they take Gamefaqs polls seriously.
>>
>>339794879
Homeschooled on a private island mansion and sheltered by his parents well into his teens. I'm not even kidding I googled this guy once few years back just to see who he even was and that's what I found out.
>>
File: fantastic.jpg (123 KB, 1280x723) Image search: [Google]
fantastic.jpg
123 KB, 1280x723
>>339802449
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.