[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silent Hill Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 98
File: 1464911641415.jpg (72 KB, 1152x694) Image search: [Google]
1464911641415.jpg
72 KB, 1152x694
Can we agree that Silent Hill had weak puzzles (for the most part), awful bossfights (every single one of them), tedious gameplay (you essentially ran away from it), exploration model that got old after the first area in the first game (check door, look at map, check door, look at map, now do the same in the other world), laughable plot and inadvertently hilarious voice acting.

I'm not passing overall judgement but I'm curious whether you dispute these observations and why.

Also please post those mega links.
>>
>>339778464
>Silent Hill thread
>Can we agree that Silent Hill was *list of insults to the series*
Why would you do a thread about a series you don't like?
>>
>>339778464
no
>>
>>339778737
>insults

you have to stop looking at arguments this way. I also think that Silent Hill had the most important thing a video game can achieve - atmosphere but it wasn't reached through said means.
>>
>>339778464
>can we agree
No.
>>
File: silenthill-1.jpg (75 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
silenthill-1.jpg
75 KB, 1920x1080
>>339778464
silent hill banked hard on it's atmosphere and it's atmosphere alone made the games memorable classics.

I agree that the gameplay in itself is terrible. The enemies are easy to kill or you just walk around them, the puzzles range from boring and easy to fucking weirdly impossible on hard mode, and you mostly just walk around checking locked doors and using items on things to get items until something spooky happens.

The dialogue is stilted and awkward, yeah, but that's part of the charm. The music is fucking incredible in every game akira is involved with.
It reminds me of those japanese horror movies like Kairo, One Missed Call, or Uzumaki. Just walking around in the game world gives me chills every time because things just seem so well put together.
>>
File: pt-1.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pt-1.jpg
252 KB, 1920x1080
>>339779483
>it's
fug

>>339778464
Also, the real question is "what will trying to improve the gameplay do to the series?"

I kind of liked what SH4 did, it made the game more challenging if not a bit tedious, SM kind of ditched combat entirely but in the end just felt way too watered down although it was a more panicked feeling than chill horror. Homecoming tried to add real combat and it was terrible.
I personally think any attempt to make the combat or gameplay more complicated would have been a waste of effort
>>
>>339779483
But Silent Hill is distinctly "western" in attempt, unlike titles you mentioned.

>>339779754
I think Kojima has lost the plot a decade ago but Laughing Octopus is still the only good Silent Hill boss ever designed.
>>
>>339780164
It's set in a Western area, but the atmosphere is distinctly Eastern whether they intended it or not.

I really suggest you watch those movies. Kairo in particular really feels just like the team silent games (before the plot jumps the shark, anyway).
>>
>>339780426
What exactly is distinctly Eastern about the atmosphere of Silent Hill games?
>>
>>339778464
>Silent Hill had weak puzzles
They were interesting enough by survival horror standards, and set the off-kilter mood with how bizarre they would get.
>awful bossfights
I'll agree with this, I was always confused as to why they had boss fights in the series to begin with.
>tedious gameplay
Never bothered by it.
>exploration model that got old after the first area in the first game
Love Silent Hill exploration, though I do miss how you actually had to explore the city streets in the first and second games, which was missing from 3 onward.
>laughable plot
I'll fight you.
>inadvertently hilarious voice acting.
That was a deliberate choice in the first two games, to create a sense of uncanny unease towards the cast of the games (in a very David Lynch-esq manner) by making them sound just plain wrong. The VO was better in 3, and 4 was rushed for launch.
>>
>>339780510
A lot of it is in the sound design, but also the more slow-burning horror, the "haunted village" plot is distinctively eastern in its roots, the dialogue which you could argue is a lot like Twin Peaks actually has a lot of the same rhythms as the dialogue in eastern horror.

So I think, anyway.
They did try to make it Western, partly probably to combat the success of resident evil. I really think it's really only western as far as the setting, though, and a few influences like Jacob's Ladder and stephen king's The Mist.
Arguably Kindergarten Cop
>>
>>339780981
>the "haunted village" plot is distinctively eastern in its roots

Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>339780939
The voice director has gone on the record to saying it wasn't deliberate, but for English VAs recorded in Japan, they couldn't really complain.
>>
>>339778464
Yeah.

Mediocre gameplay
Mediocre puzzles
Story told in exposition dumps and most interactions were just weird and unnecessary to the plot.
Going from door to door to door

I agree with all of those.

But sometimes a game is more than just the sum of it's parts. I think Actraiser is a 10/10 game but it's just 2 really simple kind of shitty games mashed together. If it was each one individually it would probably be a 5/10 a peice, but together it's just amazing.
>>
>>339781038
it is, though.
How is it not?
>>
>>339778464
It's hard to refute observations that are entirely your opinion. It isn't like you stated anything that is objective fact.

I like everything you mentioned except the bosses. I don't find the gameplay tedius, I like the puzzles, exploration, etc. Different strokes.
>>
>>339780981
Silent Hill is Western horror tropes, themes, and iconography all told through an Eastern lens.
>>
>>339781359
It's more like eastern tropes and themes through a Western filter
>>
>>339781428
...No? It's a series made by an Eastern studio dealing with distinctly Western subject matter.
>>
>>339781338
I can only point you towards the origins of the modern horror genre; from Walpole onwards. Also look into how Vampiric legends (before being co-opted by Stoker) involved microcosm for the boogeyman to work.

But I can't spoonfeed you when you display such ignorance; the fact that you tried to have such a broadstroke equated with a small geographical region is just nonsensical. There are some otaku / moeshit details in Silent Hill games but they are just a sideshow.
>>
>>339781535
the subject matter itself isn't distinctly western, it's more like a mix
>>
Do you think Heather peed herself while she was in Silent Hill?
>>
>>339778464
>We will never have a horror game like silent hill ever agai>instead new horror is you playing as a dickless faggot that does nothing but run and hide from pussy shit
Why?
>>
>>339781551
It's really not the same, the haunted town in the series is definitely eastern influenced
>>
>>339781659
The iconography is distinctly western and I can bet you that if you didn't know that Team Silent was Japanese, the only giveaway would be suspiciously bad writing; purely western game would have more contrived and more purple prose.

>>339781849
How in the hell is Silent Hill the town eastern influenced as far as the town layout, architecture, signs, shops, stores, gas pumps, fucking motels go?
>>
>>339781942
It has nothing to do with the town layout, or the motels, or the fucking firehydrants, it's how they execute the "haunted town" plot
>>
>>339778943
Yeah but the way you wrote that sentence makes it look like the worst series ever but it had some pretty solid points
>>
>>339781659
The first game deals with an unnamed cult trying to birth a demonic god through impregnating a woman, and the town this transpired in (which was built on top of sacred native land no less) becomes overrun with an otherworldly fog and demonic creatures (all of which may or may not be "real") representative of someone's underlined fears and psyche. These are incredibly Western subject.
>>339781849
How is it Eastern influenced in any way?
>>339781710
No, she's too perfect.
>>
Say what you want about the shite gameplay and horrible protagonist but SH4's plot was actually my favorite of the bunch. It didn't rely on the cult plot as strongly as 1 and 3 but didn't divorce itself from it as much as 2. There was an inherently human element to the entire thing. Team Silent themselves have said something along the lines of how the more human a monster is, the more frightening it is. Walter worked so well as a villain because he mixed the fear of the supernatural (cult shit) with the more tangible fear of bad people (serial killer) while still having sympathetic and humanizing moments.

I don't think it was incredible but it worked well. Or better than every other aspect of the game at least, but that's not exactly saying much.
>>
>>339782063
For fucks sake... there is not a single folklore / aesthetic element of said folkore that is solely routed into Eastern tradition; the second game takes its plot directly from western psychoanalysis while the 1 and 3 use slightly warped Christian paraphernalia.
>>
>>339782173
It suffered from idiotic hub structure.
>>
>>339782173
I agree that the idea of a whole game being set within the antagonist's mind was an utterly genius concept: Each environment represents the warped way HE saw the world, which is a great premise for a horror game.
>>
>>339781428
It's the opposite, western tropes through an eastern filter. There is certain shit that is specific to Japan, like the recurring bathroom thing, but for the most part the first four games were an attempt by Japanese devs to craft a western horror game which is why it came out so unique. It's got western themes and tropes with the pacing and tone of eastern horror.
>>
>>339778464
>>339779483
The problem with "good" gameplay is that it would instantly destroy the atmosphere.

Make the enemies more dynamic and challenging? The game feels more like one of those slasher films. Make the environments really sprawling and varied for better exploration? Game doesn't feel like a claustrophobic, warped middle-America.

Also, boss fights were meh but the symbolism surrounding the bosses in 2 in particular was very interesting and honestly it would've felt like a copout/"downgrade" if you didn't get to engage them in some way.
>>
File: 1464432752786.jpg (82 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1464432752786.jpg
82 KB, 640x640
>>339782457
>There is certain shit that is specific to Japan, like the recurring bathroom thing

This fucking thread...
>>
>>339782329
The hub wasn't the problem, the atrocious inventory was.
>>
File: 1436768022032.webm (3 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1436768022032.webm
3 MB, 1280x960
Silent Hill had
>a pervasive feeling of helplessness unmatched in horror games
>fantastic monster designs
>amazing music
>interesting, fully-developed characters
>a story that changed depending on your gameplay
>originality

>weak puzzles
I disagree.
>awful bossfights
I thought they were appropriately challenging
>tedious gameplay
the game was suited for different kinds of gameplay, you didn't have to run away from all the monsters, it may be the wisest decision, but you could fight them all, if you wanted
>exploration got old
exploration never got old because every door could either be locked or it could be a host to a bunch of new monsters guarding an item you absolutely needed and there's no way of knowing until you enter, that's what made the game tense
>laughable plot
Silent Hill has some of the best plots. SH2 is practically literary.
>inadvertently hilarious voice acting
the voice acting is great. Everyone sounds a little crazy, and that's perfect.
>>
>>339782546
>The problem with "good" gameplay is that it would instantly destroy the atmosphere.

This thread keeps on giving. I sort of get where you're going with it, lots of cult games have horrific gameplay, like Deadly Premonition but believe me when I tell you that the atmosphere would not suffer had they had good gameplay.
>>
>>339778943
>atmosphere is the most important thing a video game can achieve
Yeah, no
>>
>>339782620
>SH2 is practically literary

Okay, too much of this shit for me to take in.
>>
>>339782628
Did you even read my post?

You didn't refute a single point I made, just a vague statement that completely misinterpreted the point I was making.
>>
File: silent hill pc guide.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
silent hill pc guide.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>339778464
someone asked for mega links?

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
>>
>>339782550
Bathrooms are spooky in Japan because of ghost stories about being dragged into the toilet so little kids would get off the pot faster or something, hence 2-4 having bathrooms as significant locations early in the game.
>>
>>339782546
i disagree, you are looking at it too narrowly. i think you're looking at games with good gameplay, seeing how not-silent hill they are, and then thinking that it's therefore not possible.
but good gameplay would just make the games better.
good gameplay would be good AND not make it feel like a slasher film, would retain the claustrophobic, warped middle-America, etc. if it detracts from instead of working with the other elements, it's not really "good".
>>
>>339782620
Why is there never any horror elements like this anymore? Instead the stupid modern shit like outlast relies too much on jumpscares and being a wimpy bitch.
>>
>>339782712
you try to find a video game with a story that has more subtext and is still open to interpretation.
>>
>>339782965
Because games with jump scares are more popular since streamers can find more material to scream like a bitch at while begging for donations.
>>
File: Big Boss approves of your stash.gif (995 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
Big Boss approves of your stash.gif
995 KB, 257x194
>>339782778
Doing God's work, anon.
>>
>>339782863
Define "good" gameplay in the context you're imagining then.

SH gameplay was already serviceable; there were issues like the clunky inventory screen and tank controls, but those barely even qualify as "gameplay" issues so much as "technical" or "datedness" issues.
>>
>>339778464
The bossfights suck ass but puzzles are great.
>>
SH2>SH1>SH2
The rest are shit
>>
>>339783241
>SH2>SH1>SH2
w-what
>>
are there any interviews or something that discuss how they managed to make all the ps2 games look so damn good? Is it just the textures or something? How was it all achieved?
>>
File: ValtielAndPyramidHead.png (2 MB, 1412x1048) Image search: [Google]
ValtielAndPyramidHead.png
2 MB, 1412x1048
Here's a question for you Silent Hill fans, which do you prefer, and for what reason: Pyramid Head (Silent Hill 2) or Valtiel?
>>
>>339783241
Today was challenging.
>>
>>339783338
"The making of Silent Hill 2" was an excellent insight to the development of the game, but it's not EXACTLY what you're asking for.
>>
File: 728394723434.gif (1 MB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
728394723434.gif
1 MB, 500x600
>>339783351
Valtiel because I'm burned out on PH and Valtiel's appearances were more interesting.
>>
>>339783351
Which name is cooler, Valtiel or Xuchillbara? Were Valtiel's wheels all the same wheel? Did they have different purposes?
>>
>>339783338
The textures are actually pretty shit when you really look at them. Basically it was excellent art direction. They knew how to work with the materials they had to get them to look damn good.
>>
>>339783351
They provide different purposes but I'd say Pyramid Head

Most cutscenes he appeared in are some of the most memorable in the entire series, but Valtiel also had some great appearances during exploration like behind that one ladder
>>
>>339783017
What's open to interpretation in fucking Silent Hill?
>>
>>339783650
Most of Silent Hill 2.
>>
>>339783017
pathologic is better in that regard by many miles. not to insult silent hill 2 at all though, since pathologic really has absolutely no match in that area.

>>339783145
well i don't necessarily think silent hill has really bad gameplay. i would agree that a lot of it is issues being dated and stuff. i think siren blood curse proved that that very restrictive and even clunky kind of gameplay can feel just way better to play just with really good animations. and in that case it's just an issue of polish like you basically said.
>>
>>339783118
I just wish a horror game would bring the element of you low on ammo and health packs and the general feeling that you're completely fucked when you enter this door, not as some dumb faggot with a camcorder or lantern that lacks masculinity to pick up a blunt object and beat the fuck outta monsters.
>>
>>339783650
Pretty much everything that isn't explicitly confirmed in-game or in the Lost Memories thing. You can debate about each of these games for days.
>>
File: 4horsemen.jpg (169 KB, 611x907) Image search: [Google]
4horsemen.jpg
169 KB, 611x907
>>339778464
>Can we agree

and why not?
trolls should be answered appropiately:

are u kidding me?
>>
>>339783693
It has six explicitly told endings. There is zero room for interpretation.
>>
>>339778464
Silent hill 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 and so on

1 is the best, 2 tried to perfect it and succeeded in many ways but also failed
>>
>>339783614
I could be wrong, but I assumed that the wheel Valtiel keeps spinning was symbolic of the death and rebirth cycle of Alessa, Cheryl, and Heather.
>>
>>339783650
What does the god want?
>>
>>339783846
That's not open for interpretation, that's called being a sperg. If the developer doesn't provide the backstory for every piece of imagery that doesn't mean that you're free to imbibe any meaning to see fit to it.

You lorefags are the worst, thank fuck Lynch ignored Frost when making Twin Peaks.
>>
>>339783867
So NOTHING in those endings is up to interpretation? Nothing throughout the entire game? What individual symbols mean?
>>
>>339783961
You know that people who argue of interpreting Silent Hill aren't talking about the "lore", right?
>>
>>339783650
See
>>339783614
>>339783874
>>
>>339783867
>he thinks the only thing that's important about a work is the ending

wew lad
>>
>>339778464
I don't agree with any of that and your other moronic post you said you liked it for its atmosphere, well all of those things add up to make Silent Hills atmosphere.

I guess the series isn't up to your speed
>>
>>339783874
But doesn't it appear that there is also some functional purpose in his actions as well?
>>
>>339783958
Who gives a fuck? Why don't you ask what's Heather's opinion on Nietzchean abyss while you're at it?

>>339783970
Nigger that's just vague shit thrown in to look neat. Do you get mental breakdown when shopping for groceries?

>>339784038
>>339784050
This has already been documented and there's really no room for intepretation, the answer is 'perhaps'.
>>
>>339783650
>>339783961
>what's up for interpretation in a series that relies heavily on symbolism to tell a story

You know there's more to a narrative than point A to point B right
>>
>>339783961
something being open to interpretation means there's a seemingly important element(s) which is ambiguous or unobvious in its significance and meaning. silent hill is absolutely full of that.
>>
>>339783961
>imbibe

did you mean imbue?
>>
>>339778464
The series is famous for it's puzzles. Sorry you never read Shakespeare

Stick to Slender dude
>>
>>339784139
Is this your interpretation of the god? As a Nietzschean abyss?
>>
>>339784175
You do realize that symbolism is immune to interpretation and always a dead end that relies on neat imagery alone?

If not it's a simple metaphor that is another sort of dead end.

>>339784208
Silent Hill is full of heavy handed stuff that doesn't lend itself to much scrutiny, it's as subtle as a hammer to the audience's nail.

>>339784221
No
>>
File: monsters.webm (3 MB, 1066x480) Image search: [Google]
monsters.webm
3 MB, 1066x480
>>339783650
are you fucking serious?

a game where the very nature of reality is ambiguous, and you don't know what's open to interpretation?
>>
>>339784139
So because you personally don't "give a fuck" about details left open, that means there is nothing to interpretation?

Sound logic.
>>
>>339784139
>the answer is 'perhaps'
>not open to interpretation
>>
>>339784302
not really. you are thinking of very, very basic symbolism and metaphors.
from your perspective, is nothing is open to interpretation except for cliffhangers?
>>
>>339784139
>the answer is 'perhaps'

gave yourself away there, friendo

7/10 had me going for a minute
>>
>>339784125
I imagine it does, and figured it had to do with the birthing cycle of the God. Honestly, it's been a couple of years since I've gone through SH3, I have to do it again.
>>
>>339784139
>>339784302
Have you ever considered that some people find it fun to discuss the things they enjoy? And sometimes, they like to discuss the things they enjoy beyond the explicitly stated possibilities of the narrative. You should try it sometime, you sound like you need some fun in your life.
>>
>>339784307
Holy fuck thank you based anon for posting that webm, I lost it when I formatted my hard drive. I actually want to record that scene in 6x render res in PCSX2, I know it'd look completely gorgeous (though the file size would likely be too big to post on 4chan.)
>>
>>339778464

No.
>>
>>339784307
I love the little details they gave him that make him creepier like his bad teeth and wonky eye.
>>
>>339784302
Imbibe means to take in, absorb, consume etc

That sentence makes no sense

>free to imbibe any meaning to see fit to it.
>imbibe
>to it

how do you imbibe to something?
>>
>>339784307
Vincent is so fucking great, best line in the series.
>>
>>339784296
No, my interpretation of the god in silent hill is that i'm certain they absconded from writing more about it because they were too absorbed into their trash plot about the cult being responsible for what could have been just a neat surreal yet gory experience.

>>339784354
You can throw opinions around any visual artefact in that manner. Any game, any movie... there's a retard that made a documentary about Eyes Wide Shut being about Kubrick faking the moon landing.

>>339784445
There is zero interpretation in that kind of symbolism. Try asking Lynch about monkey owl in Twin Peaks.

>>339784307
>ambiguous

It's not ambiguous, 1-3 are the cult , 2 is the psyche.

>>339784498
Interpretation always comes through carefully interwoven hints and artistic sensibility that is way above the Team Silent level of anything. It's a fucking slasher with laughable plot and nice visuals. However, people who watch slasher movies don't pontificate about how many droplets of blood on the blade there were and whether the sigil they lifted from goetia 101 means anything more than "scurry".

>>339784628
I find it pathetic, honestly. I find you the worst kind of audience, desperately seeking to validate their infantile hobby rather than taking it at face value. I find it ludicrous that grown men discuss these bottom of the barrel tier 'plots' and 'symbols' that even the bloodydisgusting crowd would have joked about.
>>
>>339784307
Those fuckin faces man, what wizardry is that?
>>
>>339784771
Then I made a mistake, thanks
>>
>>339778464
It's so weird I look exactly like a boyish version of Heather..
>>
File: on to you.jpg (168 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
on to you.jpg
168 KB, 500x500
>>339784878
>I find it pathetic, honestly. I find you the worst kind of audience, desperately seeking to validate their infantile hobby rather than taking it at face value.
Actually had me going for a while. 9/10, excellent bait.
>>
>>339784980
Post pics of you in a princess heart cosplay
>>
File: 1385217449669.jpg (70 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
1385217449669.jpg
70 KB, 550x412
>>339778464
I agree with everything you said. This is why Resident Evil 4 and up are superior games compared to the survival horror before it, it has GAMEPLAY and REAL COMBAT instead of bullshit. But hipsters gonna hip, so what can you do.
>>
>>339785195
I'm not a princess though I'm a guy anon.
>>
>>339785261
>People who prefer classic Silent Hill are Hipsters
You can like both for different reasons.
>>
>>339785354
It's okay, you can pretend
>>
File: jon.jpg (7 KB, 180x135) Image search: [Google]
jon.jpg
7 KB, 180x135
>>339784878
Friendo, this is your interpretation. You are explaining how you interpreted it. You are the demons john.
>>
What's your favorite Silent Hill track? I really like the results screen music from SH1, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNp2wLdMNoc
>>
File: silenthillproof.jpg (1 MB, 1764x900) Image search: [Google]
silenthillproof.jpg
1 MB, 1764x900
>>339784878
>my immediate interpretation is the only correct one
I think you fail to understand why people enjoy discussing art.
>>
>>339785439
>Doom Repercussions of Evil came out in 2001-2002
>Doom 3 came out 2004
>novelization names Marine guy John.
Was this the canon sequel to Doom 3?
>>
File: vincent.png (192 KB, 560x307) Image search: [Google]
vincent.png
192 KB, 560x307
>>339785354
Guys cant be princesses to you?
>>
>>339778464
Don't give a fuck.
Post lewd Heather.
Now.
>>
>>339785261
Way to be a faggot, faggot.
>>
>>339785541
Wounded Warsong is my absolute favorite. Spooky but still a jam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts

Theme of Laura Reprise is a close second though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozVfR-XavQ
>>
>>339785697
>sexualizing heather
>ever

Leave
>>
>>339785364
>>339785762
You bit the hook! I was only pretending!
Hahahaha! How does it feel to be trolled?
>>
File: 1451708230375.jpg (365 KB, 1152x1760) Image search: [Google]
1451708230375.jpg
365 KB, 1152x1760
SH2 Japanese box art is best box art. North America got pretty consistently shafted.
>>
>>339785541
White Noiz was only present for a second, but sticks out in my mind. Pretty muh=ch the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Silent Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qTKljpNfps
>>
>>339785936
I like European Box art the best, but the Silent Hill 2 American cover gives me more nostalgic feelings.
>>
>>339785424
I don't have dresses though.
>>339785687
Nope
>>
File: boyish heather.png (182 KB, 346x375) Image search: [Google]
boyish heather.png
182 KB, 346x375
>>339784980
>>339785354
Do you ever shut the fuck up about this?
Come on.
>>
>>339785946
*much.
>>
>>339785936
Why is Heather glowing white in the American box art of SH3?
>>
>>339785541
Shit nigger can't think of just one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLq9DnkZHfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPaYGVLifY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShknpNpHbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_e8abf_Tds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZmMD84XpCs&index=2&list=RDQ_e8abf_Tds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jce3Frxot9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBNNGmSmWo

That will have to do.
>>
>>339785541
From The Room

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xo65v1kTRZA
>>
>>339786161
Why should I?
>>
File: 1431978793062.jpg (3 MB, 2384x3157) Image search: [Google]
1431978793062.jpg
3 MB, 2384x3157
>>339786261
1. because she's an angel
2. because the goon who photoshopped the cover together got a little trigger happy with the dodge tool
>>
>>339786415
You shouldn't, your ass is cute
>>
>>339785936
I don't remember the American box art being that shitty for SH3
>>
>>339786487
Thanks anon, I'd give you a peck on the cheek if I was gay
>>
>>339786543
Cheek pecks aren't gay.
>>
>>339786161
Is that a boy?
>>
>>339787006
yeah that's me.
>>
File: sh3000.jpg (134 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
sh3000.jpg
134 KB, 512x512
>>339783338
a lot of it is the textures. the lighting in the games is very basic. with the flashlight off, all the lighting is just simple vertex shading. some areas don't even have that, they just have a global ambient light color on everything.
for environments they mostly used big texture atlases that have a lot of stuff jammed into them, rather than just a material in each texture. there are very often unique texture atlases for each room. this allows them a bit of a painterly approach where they hand craft each texture to have particular, object-specific details in them, like dirt and grim at corners, spilled liquids under certain objects. basically, they had no generic material textures like "concrete 1" or single prop textures like "green wood table". with this, they also painted some lighting into the textures a lot. many textures will have highlights painted in and pretty much all of them have ambient occlusion.
as for characters, the texturing is very similar to their environments except i don't think they used photos significantly in the textures, most of it is hand painted. the hand painted characters and painted, hand crafted environment stuff helped the game not only become more realistic but also kept it from being too realistic for the ps2's hardware (and therefore bad looking). it kept it consistent and natural feeling. the rest is just good artistry and attention to detail, which is still unmatched by most game artists today.
>>
File: 1462498982583.jpg (121 KB, 524x492) Image search: [Google]
1462498982583.jpg
121 KB, 524x492
>>339787038
If you're not joking I would love to kiss you. guess that makes me bi now
>>
File: Cheerupbuttercup.png (705 KB, 1394x865) Image search: [Google]
Cheerupbuttercup.png
705 KB, 1394x865
>>339785541
You're not here was a jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8tI0AJ7Hw
>>
>>339787170
only of you can take me through silent hill alive. jesus fuck .
>>
File: driving to Silent Hill.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
driving to Silent Hill.webm
3 MB, 640x360
"never forgive me never forget me" might be my favorite, but these are really nice songs from the later games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdXCsXcs6nA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPUy_Im5dss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plfwgvo59PI
>>339785541
Nice. I'll have to add that to my Halloween playlist.

>>339786349
End of Small Sanctuary is comfy as fuck
>>
>>339787039
Do you happen to know if those same artists are still in the industry?
>>
File: 1464035596058.jpg (59 KB, 373x404) Image search: [Google]
1464035596058.jpg
59 KB, 373x404
>winter
>come back from gym
>5pm
>put Alone in Town, Heaven's Night or Claw Finger1 hours loop to play depending of the day
>go to bed
>cover myself with hundreds of blankets
>watch as its starts getting dark and slowly fall asleep
Holy shit, its so fucking comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zlPtpUZ8uQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7wzG-yIGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z676IOGY7E
>>
>>339787335
What does this mans Silent Hill look like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nLxhKPwTws
>>
File: FFXII (2005).jpg (598 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
FFXII (2005).jpg
598 KB, 2880x1620
>>339784921
For real, I don't understand how in the name of fuck they were able to use such high quality textures in a goddamn 2003 game. I mean, there are other PS2 games that looked great like FFXII which would release three years after SH3, but no other PS2 game surpassed SH3's amazing facial textures and character models.

I mean, for fuck's sake even Soul Calibur 3 in 2005 didn't have nearly the amount of detail in character faces. Team Silent used to be goddamn wizards.
>>
>>339787335
>sh homecoming

speaking of later games

how's downpour's ost?
>>
>>339787652
Nothing worthwhile. Even Homecoming, the worst game in the series, at least had a decent ost.
>>
>>339787567
instead of bubble head nurses he sees bubble head Daisy Dukes, because he's driving a truck and is obviously a redneck. Also, something about alcoholism.

>>339787652
do you like Korn?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikh2zdiAGI
>>
>>339787501
Are you me?
>Winter
>Come back from gym
>3am
>Crossing through a football field
>The field is lower than the surrounding streets
>Dense fog pooling up to my knees
>Single flood light far up in the sky partially illuminating the darkness
>play Ordinary Vanity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeUIQbtKt0&list=PL3701130022801F23&index=5
>>
>>339784307
>>339784921
>>339787614
>silly expressions
>OH MAN THAT'S SO REALISTIC OMG
jesus fuck, silent hill circlejerk is worse than hell
>>
>>339784921
>>339787614
its some kind face tech that was the big shit back in the ps2 era
they showed it off a lot
most notably kingdom hearts and other SE games used it on 90% of their cutscenes
and on the 10% of the time they used the gameplay model with generic mouth movement
because it would be to much to bother with the lipsynch for the smaller cutscenes
>>
>>339787828
personally i think korn can pull it off
i just dont think it'd fit for a silent hill game
>>
File: Rustled.png (252 KB, 357x346) Image search: [Google]
Rustled.png
252 KB, 357x346
>>339787957
Still lurking, my friend?
>>
>>339787567
Paying child support.
>>
File: VincentHilltop.png (2 MB, 1422x869) Image search: [Google]
VincentHilltop.png
2 MB, 1422x869
>>339787957
You think we are talking about the expressions?
>>
File: challengeAIDS.jpg (247 KB, 619x903) Image search: [Google]
challengeAIDS.jpg
247 KB, 619x903
>>339787372
takayoshi sato, who did character design and cgi direction in 1 and 2 (he even did the entirety of sh1's cutscenes by himself) is working at virtual heroes now.
virtual heroes is probably most well known for moonbase alpha, for which he did the art direction, but it's not that special to be honest. their games are mostly just very serious educational simulations, one was a psp training simulation for hilton hotels. another was to teach africans about avoiding HIV and shit (see pic). and they have handful of disaster medic and surgeon simulations.
he was also commissioned to make a fantastic head model in tale of tales' shitty game fatale.
i think the head monster designer from team silent is doing various things, i think most recently he designed the new scissorman for the clock-tower-on-a-cruise-ship game.
i have no idea about anyone else unfortunately, i'll have to go searching for them in the credits. i think a few of them at least are working at sony japan studio now. looking at siren:blood curse, the environment art is done the exact same way, so i think it's likely that some of them are there.
>>
>>339788236
Same plot as Silent hill 1, except he is trying to get away from Cheryl.
>>
>>339787038
You should get on some HRT and become even more feminine and Heather look a like with some nice perky boobs then I can fuck you.

No homo.
>>
>>339787957
Can you name a PS2 game with superior character models and better facial textures? Genuinely curious if there even is one. But yes, the "silly expressions" in SH3 are because the devs didn't use lip sync, which is actually really impressive that the animations came out as good as they did, they look dramatically better than most PS2 titles.
>>
File: 1458270305781.jpg (162 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1458270305781.jpg
162 KB, 1280x960
>>339787943
Noice
>>
>>339786161
Are there more pictures?
>>
>>339788595
pls no
>>
>>339788316
What twisted vicissitudes of fate lead him down that road? Is it Altruism? Industry shits? I want to know more about the team, but am afraid it will make me sad.
>>
Silent Hill 3 needed a vs cpu mode
>>
>>339785541
maybe this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_e8abf_Tds
it's so chill. and i love the beginning of the game, it has such a unique feeling, sneaking out of a mall bathroom, and then soon finding yourself in the quiet back hallways. just love it.
>>
File: 1395972458782.jpg (250 KB, 1503x1145) Image search: [Google]
1395972458782.jpg
250 KB, 1503x1145
>>339787039
>Silent Hill's graphics were so amazing that when a team of experts tried to make an HD remaster it came out worse than it did on technology outdated by 10 years

It's sort of like how no one knows how ancient Greeks practiced brain surgery.
>>
>>339788869
You know how everyone bitches about Konami today? they've been like this for a while now.
>>
>>339787039

In English, Einstein.
>>
So is the HD collection worth it.
>>
>>339789072

Lol, no.

Get the games from the links in this thread.
>>
>>339789072
You're better off playing the first four on PC, since the first one can be emulated easily and the PC ports for 3-4 work perfectly fine with a small amount of tweaking. I have a goddamn toaster that doesn't turn on half the time and I still manage to run all of them well.
>>
File: 1445132430521.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445132430521.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>339789072
it's probably the worst remaster ever made.

they couldn't find the original assets for the games, so HD Silent Hill threw out the original voice actors' performances, altered some music, changed some fonts to comic sans, and oh yeah: forgot to put the fog back in.

just play the original games on a PS2, or you can try your hand at the original PC releases.
>>
File: pickinkidupfromschool.jpg (10 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
pickinkidupfromschool.jpg
10 KB, 512x384
>>339787959
>>339787614
>>339787039
>>339788421

Was realism the key to Silent Hill's successfully abstract kind of horror?

Would it still work with less detailed models?

Could a game with Silent Hill 1's level of visuals scare audiences today?
>>
File: resume.jpg (94 KB, 1206x161) Image search: [Google]
resume.jpg
94 KB, 1206x161
>>339788869
well for sato, i think it's something he enjoys and takes really seriously. as it says here, he wanted to help form this genre of "serious games" even. it doesn't seem like something he's stuck in. if you're interested in him more, i really suggest you read this, it's an article for gamasutra he wrote on character design, it's really interesting and shows the kind of detail he pays attention to:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132671/the_dust_of_everyday_life_the_art_.php
he talks about one of his virtual heroes projects here too:
"See the image above for an example. The story behind this image, created for a serious game, is that this girl has HIV, and she prostitutes knowingly. A guy (we do not know who is -- this could be a customer, could be police) is approaching her. I needed complex emotion on her face to indicate guilt and ignorance, but since I did not have time to add real facial expression, I solved it with simple posing. The girl successfully conveys some of the complex emotion I was looking for. "

that is what makes me think his artistic expression is being satisfied there

>>339789001
>experts
i don't know about that...
>>
File: 1464452819038.gif (999 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1464452819038.gif
999 KB, 500x281
>>339789336
>comic sans

I did not need to know this
>>
>>339789705
>Could a game with Silent Hill 1's level of visuals scare audiences today?
We'll see: games like Power Drill Massacre and Banned Memories are trying to bring back classic late 1990's survival horror into the modern day, at least from a visual perspective.
>>
File: hd vs old.jpg (14 KB, 415x281) Image search: [Google]
hd vs old.jpg
14 KB, 415x281
>>339789894
sorry guy.
>>
>>339789829
Man, this guys level of faith in the potential of Video Games as a medium is inspiring.
>>
>playing Silent Hill 1 for the first time
>1 hour in
>plane flies by
>some chairs outside fall over
>something moves around the trees
help

I'm not even at the school yet
>>
Does anyone have Heaven's Night game version? Not the OST disk one with that damn echo
>>
File: JustToSuffer.png (25 KB, 517x476) Image search: [Google]
JustToSuffer.png
25 KB, 517x476
>>339789979
Every time I think I'll forget about the Silent Hill HD collection, something reminds me of it.

It's like it's all still there...
>>
File: Klaxonsounds.jpg (38 KB, 484x375) Image search: [Google]
Klaxonsounds.jpg
38 KB, 484x375
>>339789979
>>
>>339782705
nice counterpoint, shitass. enjoy your cawa
>>
>>339779274
At least we all like Tetris.... right?
>>
File: Scarlet.png (321 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Scarlet.png
321 KB, 960x540
My favorite boss is from my least favorite Silent Hill game. What do I do
>>
>>339790072
Kek I don't know if I even want to play silent hill. I loved resident evil but damn does silent hill sound scary
>>
Friendly Reminder to vote.

www.strawpoll.me/10321156/
>>
File: 1464102420102.jpg (52 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1464102420102.jpg
52 KB, 500x600
>>339790072
>You begin to feel sure something is reaching out for your hand
>The moment you feel that cold finger tap you just below the knuckle everything you know as real will end
>You can almost feel it already
>>
>>339790627
>people voted for Book of memories.
DELETE THIS.
>>
>>339790085
See

>>339787501
>>
>>339790737
People also voted for Homecoming anon. It is what it is.
>>
File: jsutwantstoprotecthersmile.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
jsutwantstoprotecthersmile.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>339790417
Begin the turning of the Head Cannon wheel.
>>
File: 1401037451341.png (191 KB, 337x499) Image search: [Google]
1401037451341.png
191 KB, 337x499
>>339790627
>BoM has more votes than SH4

Poll has been tainted
>>
>weak puzzles
I don't know about that. I love how 3's first puzzle was almost a tongue-in-cheek taunting, if you chose the highest puzzle difficulty.
>Oh, you're a smart ass, huh? Alright then, Slumdog Millionaire, let's see how well you know fucking Shakespeare!
>>
>>339791132
>Who would even think of doing something so DISGUSTING?
>>
File: 1458442707186.jpg (47 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
1458442707186.jpg
47 KB, 300x360
>>339790757
Found a version in great quality
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/music/sh2_csts_en.htm
ctrl+f 3.04b - Heaven's Night (in-game) (2:05)
>>
>>339790417
Accept it. While Homecoming did plenty of things wrong, there are things that it did well and it did try to be SH, even if it was SH2: The Movie: The Game. Which is far far far more than what Downpour could even hope to say with it's ghost police cars, hobo enemies, awful void otherworld sections, and wheelman...fucking wheelman.
>>
>>339791132
Those are likely troll votes anon, that's why it's there.
>>
>>339789705
yeah, i think so. i think there are a lot of really effective ways to give the right atmospheric impression with simple visuals.
a lot of the times in newer games, even though they look more realistic, they're missing the important foundation of level design, really solid, concise art design, and the right game design, and they lose atmosphere and end up feeling very... "gamey", in a bad way. like the environments are arbitrary and the realism is just very shallow set dressing, the game design doesn't reinforce this feeling but rather goes straight for an arbitrary "fun". a lot of simpler looking games do those things better. for example, i've been playing thief for the first time recently, and the atmosphere is quite impressive and strong. another great example is pathologic, which has outdated, sometimes very ugly art. however, the art design is great, the game's writing, pacing, and game design, while not perfect, work together extremely well to reinforce the game world and its ideas, and it ends up feeling way more solid, way more real and atmospheric than most more realistic-looking games.
>>
>>339789705
Hey man, I'd like to hear more about why you don't like silent hill, could you elaborate?
>>
>>339791263
In case anyone is interested doubt the Born from a Wish and the one from Complete Soundtrack Ultimate Edition Unused Tracks are the used in game while every other version is from the OST Disk.
>>
>>339791265
I am glad that I never gave in to the desire to play that.
>>
>>339791872
was for
>>339787957

No idea how that happened.
>>
>>339791435
totally feel you

I picked up a ps1 and crt at a garage sale and started playing Silent Hill for my first time. It is fucking frightening.

It reminds me of highschool when I played a ROM of Clock Tower for the SNES. It's a 2D game, nothing is exactly realistic, but it's scary on its own terms. Good atmosphere doesn't have to be conventional and try to remind the player of real life, it should fit the game.
>>
WHAT ARE SOME SILENT HILL LIKE GAMES
>>
>>339792149
Which one Downpour?

If so it's a real shame, I mean the town is so open and you can see that there was promise in the game, it just terribly lost it's way somewhere. Like Homecoming at least tried and did some good. Origins wasn't even originally a SH game and while the weapon system can easily be broken with TVs and coat hangars and the Otherworld switching gets tiresome very quickly despite being a cool gimmick, it definitely succeeds the most by far considering it was originally a TPS if I recall that had nothing to do with SH, and honestly I like Origins, it's not perfect by any means, but it's a fun game, even with the retcons and some stuff in places.

It's such a shame about Konami, not only SH, but MGS and Castlevania too. They won't sell those IPs off because they'd have nothing for pachinko in which to make money sadly. I hope Kojima or somebody with some vision decides to great a SH like game and not just "We based this off PT because it quickly garnered attention despite most people not knowing what SH was period or only knowing the movie".
>>
>>339792373
Siren
>>
>>339792373
Rule of Rose and Kuon come to mind. Both are quite expensive.
>>
>>339792373
The Crooked Man, if you don't mind RPGmaker games.
>>
Is it time to start posting ideas for characters and settings you'd like to see explored in Silent Hill?

Or does that way lie the ilk of homecoming?

Is guilt the best theme?
>>
>>339778464
>>339779483
You are somewhat correct OP. Also this other anon is very correct here
>silent hill banked hard on it's atmosphere and it's atmosphere alone made the games memorable classics.

I still feel that the SH games have the best atmosphere in gaming. Nothing has matched them yet.
>>
>>339778464
>plays the game wrong
>claims gameplay systems are sub-par
Excellent work, OP. You've demonstrated precisely how to not make a thread on /v/. I hope this board will be better for your efforts.
>>
>>339792707
I'd like to see it dial it back quite heavily, get back to exploring the Native American side, potentially maybe during a Pirate Age/British Royal Navy. You could easily do a Pirate who ends up there trying to rape and pillage and shit goes wrong. But that idea might be a little too out there.

I mean we have tons of ideas already, even more subtle ones like a lot of the addiction stuff in SH3. You've got guilt, wrath, rape, murder, whores, etc. etc,
>>
>>339792912
>>339792912
OP's not great, but the thread is.
>>
>>339792472
>sightjacking
>Shibitos mumble shit and they stuff like they are normal people
Creepy as fuck
>>
Could a 3rd/1st person action shooter with heavy emphasis on the gunplay work with silent hill atmosphere/otherworld design aesthetics?
>>
File: cut3.png (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cut3.png
43 KB, 640x480
How would you feel about a silent hill game that took more of an influence from games like Splatter House?
>>
>>339783241
I mean SH2>SH2>SH3
>>
>>339792707
What this anon said>>339792951
about "addiction" being a theme of one of these games could be interesting: Exploring a game from the mind of a drug addict is something video games haven't touched upon, merging drug-based mania with the Silent Hill Occult would be interesting, and the series has an easy way to explore this through the forgotten drug White Claudia.
>>
>>339793256
ya blew it
>>
File: 282oyz6.jpg (70 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
282oyz6.jpg
70 KB, 500x375
>>339793167
does undying count?
>>
>>339793167
I'd say no because Cry of Fear tried it, and it was a mixed bag in that regard. on its own, it's an enjoyable horror game, but nothing like Silent Hill.
>>
File: 269353-sh2maria.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
269353-sh2maria.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
I enjoy this thread very much.
Silen Hill 2 must have been one of my favorite games ever.
I loved every single one, up to downpour - the chaos ball that ate reality kinda ruined it for me, but i'll give it a try sometime i guess.

Thank you /v for reminding me some of the best times....
>>
>>339793496
Never played it. I guess just imagine a linear game with levels but still has silent hill type atmosphere and monster design. Think Dead Space gameplay, Doom 3 or maybe even CoD only with a SH coat of paint over it. Even maybe the same SH music to.

Ever since I saw this picture I always felt that something like that could work well.
>>
>>339793334
SH3 sort of goes into it. I mean you've got Heather who looks haggard as fuck, which you can play this off as lack of sleep, but she does get sleep, it's just a restless sleep, and I've been like that for years and don't look anywhere closer to her and I used to have very SH like nightmares since I was 4. Anyways, then you got the whole intro song talking about addiction (which you can assume that it's also harry/wife, heather/harry (though lyric wise that is a bit weird) or Heather/drugs), you've got the Closers being heavy in arms, the Slurpers right after you meet a drug addict/homeless person, her weird fear of being stalked, followed, and raped/impregnated which these also have connotations with the Order trying to find her and Alessa/Samael stuff.

But it's pretty open for interpretation and there are some hints that she is a drug user, even if only to try and stop herself from sleeping to avoid the nightmares. Not like it's heroin or she'd be wearing sleeves or just as simple as dude weed lmao, but it's there.

I would love to see a game completely based around it though, since PTV is very very close to heroin, though I see a lot of people saying it's closer to salvia, which personally doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me beyond "hallucinogen", I mean PTV is in medical places as a liquid (morphine), comes from a seedy plant that grows near water (opium), and hallucinations.
>>
>>339793334
I always though it would be neat to have ghosts that were born from the residual madness of many addicts that died of an overdose. Their minds would be trapped in a moment of sedated delirium and simultaneously frenetic panic forever.

Could the protagonist be in a state of overdose? Or is that a bit too simple?
>>
File: 875974823434.gif (1 MB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
875974823434.gif
1 MB, 245x150
>>339793785
>that image

Best cutscene in the game. Possibly best cutscene in any game.
>>
>>339794076
A state of overdose would actually benefit it really well due to the similarities to Jacob's Ladder in that respect. Similar to Homecoming having the electroshock therapy noise from one of the endings (which makes Homecoming a much better game personally), you could have heart beating/electrical noises as they try to pump you full of adrenaline as the Otherworld shifts into being.
>>
File: oie_8xKiyi5jmr2X (1).gif (4 MB, 793x266) Image search: [Google]
oie_8xKiyi5jmr2X (1).gif
4 MB, 793x266
>>339785697
>>
>>339792951
I'd like to see a protagonist that goes to Silent Hill on purpose and has an idea about what they are getting into. Maybe a Folklorist or something that is lead there through researching esoteric Native American history. It's time for an investigator to appear in Silent Hill who can view the madness around them with a more critical, detached perspective.

As a theme, I think curiosity could play quite well.
>>
Exploring the fog world in Silent Hill 2 was so fucking comfy.
>>
>>339782778
If you use Nemesis's fix on SH4, you can't move while aiming.
>>
>>339793992
>SH3 may have drug symbolism
Never looked at it that way, I always went with the "monsters represent pregnancy\duality" idea.

All the more reason to go back and plaay it again.

(on the Heroin idea, it is possible for Heather injecting it into her legs, explaining the absurdly high boots)
>>
>>339794209
I'd like to see this character as a side character in
>>339794456
>>
>>339794456
I'm honestly amazed a private investigator coming to investigate the cult and town hasn't happened honestly. You could even do the monsters based a lot of objective and critical reasoning as you stated or even go full of SH with him having ghosts of past investigations, serial killers, rapists, etc.
>>
>>339794473
I know, right?
>>
File: bb52b41feeefb2633adbbeffc44235bc.jpg (642 KB, 1000x1954) Image search: [Google]
bb52b41feeefb2633adbbeffc44235bc.jpg
642 KB, 1000x1954
>>339794343
why do SFM animators have such fucked up fetishes?
>>
>>339794535
As someone confronted for the first time with the Otherworld, would you turn to drugs as a form of escape?
>>
>>339793017
i really liked that aspect of siren, like seeing the shibito doing their normal daily stuff like gardening and eating dinner
>>
>>339794596
It would be amazing if the investigator DID have some personal ghosts that he brought with him, but he immediately recognizes them as the town trying to fuck with him and moves past it onto the meat of the story.
>>
File: 1436227814142.jpg (301 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436227814142.jpg
301 KB, 1280x720
WHAT'S WITH THESE FUCKING TODDLERS

FUCKING INVISIBLE FETUS

FUCK
>>
>>339794456
>>339794596
I like these: Sort of an expansion to Douglas Cartland from SH3 and Joseph Schreiber from SH4
>>
>>339794343
Sauce?
>>
>>339794343
It was all just about her repressed sexuality in the end
>>
>>339794535
Possible, I always took it as her being on ecstasy/molly which also helps to explain her real world fears prior to just the Otherworld Nightmares on a lot of impregnation, stalker, rape stuff.

It's all open for interpretation really which is one of the beautiful things I find about SH, is how many people view things utterly differently. Like some view James as nothing more than a murderer, others view it as a mercy killing, and others something completely difference for instance.

I ended up being sent something by a friend last week or two about these guys on youtube by the name of Twin Perfect, who are basically Brendan Frasier and Ginger Angry Video Game Nerd talking about SH, and they got into points that SH couldn't take place in this time because this jeep didnt exist in real life, despite Harry having a Smith and Wesson Sigma gun from 94, talked about how SH3 has the worst credits theme (it is bad) only beaten by Way to Fall from MGS3, and then goes into all this shit about how SH can't be interpreted any differently, not really understanding dimensions, etc. It's one of the worst things I've ever watched and it's like 20 damn parts, but for like every good point they made, they skipped over it and made an even more dumb point. Fucking awful.
>>339794571
That would definitely work. The adrenaline effects could also give rise to a slow/fast mechanic and the jarring of the enemies as well. You could have a lot of enemies with chains (being held down by drugs), holes in the brain (ecstasy/molly use), collapsed veins (needles), collapsed septum (coke), etc.
>>
>>339794616
Heather being fingered by a grotesque representation of herself is one of the tamest things I've seen in Silent Hill porn
>>
>>339790417
Don't worry anon. She's my favorite boss too. Such a simple generic horror design, but the way it's utilized was what mad it work, plus seeing her slowly crack apart as you hit was great, her and sepulchre were the only things I liked about the game, even then only design wise. Fighting them was terrible because of the insane glitches that can happen.
>>
File: amikawaii.jpg (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
amikawaii.jpg
8 KB, 160x160
>>339793017
man those chimeras talking about getting their hair done at the salon and shit.
>>
>>339778464
Suck my dick

>>339782778
Based anon.
>>
>>339794948
I watch Twin perfect's"The """real""" Silent Hill experience" once, and only once. Unbelievable snobs.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95 KB, 1280x720
>>339794170

the whole game is glorious.
Maria is lovable, and the other characters are
also very interesting....i keep thinking i have missed things.
I know i will eventually return to silent hill, it's just i don't have the company i used to have back then.
>>
>>339792512
>$600 for a mint condition copy of rule of rose
I wish it wasn't so fucked price wise, it's truly a great game that any horror fan should get their hands on.
>>
File: thisisfine.jpg (114 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
thisisfine.jpg
114 KB, 800x522
>>339793334
>>339794076
>>339794209
>>339794652

So what if the protagonist has the real world and the otherworld switched around? The real world is the place that is scary and full of monsters and he/she takes drugs to escape it and everything seems normal and sort of ok, except the normal looking world IS the silent hill Otherworld that the Evil in silent hill has dominion over?
>>
>>339795407
Agreed, I hadn't even heard of them prior to my friend and I getting into a convo of SH and just being bored looking up random youtube vids.

It was something, I'll say that.
>>
File: no.png (436 KB, 805x633) Image search: [Google]
no.png
436 KB, 805x633
nope
>>
>>339795590
Finally found it, did you?
>>
>>339795523
I had that thought, which could also work with a Walter Sullivan type character, where he's viewing average people as monsters and the Otherworld is sort of a home to him where things are normal and honestly you could combine that with the drug addiction too. Personally the drug addiction angle is a lot better, because who hasn't had the idea of "Serial killer or protagonist is actually killing the people of the town, but he sees monsters gimmick".
>>
File: kago_s_punctures.jpg (158 KB, 734x550) Image search: [Google]
kago_s_punctures.jpg
158 KB, 734x550
>>339795523
another image for feelin the vibe
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 98

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.