[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What, exactly, is Bethesda good at?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
What, exactly, is Bethesda good at?
>>
Making a sandbox for modders to take control of.
>>
They're a canvas supplier. Unfortunately, their canvases seem to be getting more and more limiting with each iteration.
>>
Making /v/ cry
>>
Letting other people fix their games for them.
>>
>>339777665
This tbqh famalam.
Good analogy anon.
>>
Building hype.
>>
File: brmp693.jpg (443 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
brmp693.jpg
443 KB, 1920x1080
making large, cool environments and allowing you to have a level of player agency that other RPGs can't offer. it's a level of "be anything and go anywhere at any time or with any fervency that you want to" that you just can't get elsewhere. and having good soundtracks. and they're pretty based in terms of mod tools. few game companies even allow proper mods anymore but bethesda genuinely supports modding.

things they're they bad at:
>writing stories
>writing quests
>writing characters
>writing dialogue
>actually having rpg stats/gameplay decisions
>>
>take a box
>dump a pile of sand in it
>throw a bunch of toys in
>say "have fun"
or at least it used to be.
now it has the added steps of
>nononono you can't play that way in our sandbox
>oh by the way we took stuff out of the sandbox
>>
>obsidian will never make another fallout installment

Why even wake up in the morning at this point?
>>
>>339778285
>making large, cool environments
>Bethesda is the only company making open world games.

>a level of player agency that other RPGs can't offer
>You can't kill Ulfric Stormcloak because he's essential to the quest in which you kill Ulfric Stormcloak.

>a level of "be anything and go anywhere at any time or with any fervency that you want to" that you just can't get elsewhere
>If only other open world games existed.

>having good soundtracks
>The composers Bethesda contracts (and who work on many other games) now work for Bethesda apparently.

>few game companies even allow proper mods anymore
>Steam workshop doesn't exist.

Do you even think about what you type or do you just throw random feelwords together?
>>
>>339778748
new vegas was shit
>>
>>339778779
the thread isn't about when makes bethesda unique, it's about what they can do
>>
>>339778746
and then todd kicks sand in your eye
>>
Publishing
>>
>you will never make a character than can one shot deathclaw alphas in another fallout game

Hey, at least there are weapon mods and (((legendary))) NPC's
>>
Making games people find fun to play.

And thats what matters in this industry boy.
>>
>>339778872
Actually, it's about what Bethesda is good at.

That, and the replied-to post was explicitly saying that other RPGs and other companies weren't doing them.

Reading's not that hard, sport.
>>
>>339778862
Why are are you here?
Serious question.

You realize saying things to get a rise out ot your IRL peers on Facebook is a lot more amusing
>>
>>339779156
Fuck off Todd.
>>
Making mediocre games with ugly graphics.
>>
Making money..
>>
>>339778862
>was
It's still shit. Pretentious writting doesn't make it for boring ass bland world and uninteresting, main quest.
>>
>>339779169
I don't use facebook
>>
File: 15 - w2gZJsE.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
15 - w2gZJsE.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1080
>>339778779
Do you? Your post was really dumb

>>Bethesda is the only company making open world games.
I don't recall claiming that Bethesda is the only company making open world. I said they are "making large, cool environments". Which they do. And I would argue that Bethesda's environmental design is more interesting than the open worlds we usually get. Not all open worlds are equal

>>You can't kill Ulfric Stormcloak because he's essential to the quest in which you kill Ulfric Stormcloak.
Hence I said "things they're they bad at: ...>actually having rpg stats/gameplay decisions". Player agency is more than how you affect the plot. In Skyrim, for example, you can basically do any quest of the game from any region of the map at any time that you want to. It's a degree of flexibility that is rare. And, I'm talking about player agency of your own character. In what other game can you be a catgirl thief running across the rooftops pickpocketing and stealing things or also a blue elf boy who focuses solely on being a magician or green shrek orc who takes every issue head on with his axe? Bethesda games are autism simulators in a good way

>>If only other open world games existed.
Again, the only person who claimed Bethesda invented the open world is the little talking voice in your head

>>The composers Bethesda contracts (and who work on many other games) now work for Bethesda apparently
You're being obtuse. If contracting fantastic composers is so easy, why do so few games have wondrous soundtracks? Bethesda games always have top tier music, whether it be TES games using Jeremy Soule or Fallout games licensing great songs from the past

>>Steam workshop doesn't exist.
You're probably too young to remember, but modding used to be a much more prevalent thing than it is now. Franchises like Battlefield, for instance, used to have utterly massive amounts of conversion mods. Nowadays, they have none. For most franchises today, modding is a relic of the past
>>
File: connie .jpg (40 KB, 502x406) Image search: [Google]
connie .jpg
40 KB, 502x406
>>339777421

ruining franchises

and also publishing alright games

bethesda is literally 2000s EA
>>
>>339777421

absolutely nothing

all TES lore is pure shit trash. Every time someone in morrowind, oblivion or skyrim tries to tell me of the rich history of tamriel I literally do not give one fuck its all just generic RPG trash.
>>
>>339777421
brute forcing. by sheer force of will and momentum, their farms of trained monkeys push out huge swathes of terrain, (laughably deformed) character models, and shitty dialogue trees.
it's a shame that they can't make an actual playable game though.
>>
>>339777421
Lying.
>>
They are the best at currently owning Fallout desu
>>
>>339777421
Being the only developer that makes the kind of games they do. If they had competition from other highly-moddable first person action RPGs, they'd probably be in deep shit.
>>
>>339780126
>If they had competition from other highly-moddable first person action RPGs, they'd probably be in deep shit.

I wish Obsidian would try to turn Pillars of Eternity into a first person RPG clone of TES. It's basically the same gameworld, they've got the furry people and the colorful elves and everything else.
>>
Breeding bugs.
>>
File: beth.png (61 KB, 1079x202) Image search: [Google]
beth.png
61 KB, 1079x202
>>
>>339782185
i actually agree with the last point and i think most of you subconsciously do as well.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.