[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK so we all know emulation is a thing, but i'm gonna ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: front_consoles.gif (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
front_consoles.gif
20 KB, 400x400
OK so we all know emulation is a thing, but i'm gonna ask this anyway.

If you were to name one retro console to get, just for fun/collecting/multiplayer, what would you recommend?

5th generation or earlier please.
>>
>>339776767
Not a console, but I really, really want a PC98.
>>
File: xxl_Dreamcast_main-1-1200-80.jpg (52 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
xxl_Dreamcast_main-1-1200-80.jpg
52 KB, 768x431
>>339776767
Depends. Do you consider Dreamcast a 5th gen console?
>Cheap
>Popular games aren't that expensive yet
>Decent size library with more good games than average
>4 controller ports
>Tons of great multiplayer games

If you don't consider DC 5th gen, I'd say Playstation or Genesis. Nintendo consoles are overpriced most places.
>>
>>339777581
>Cheap

Are you sure? I thought Dreamcasts were in the ~$50 range

Also i'm definitely considering it now, what are the good multiplayer games?
>>
definitely SNES
>>
>>339778108
I generally see then go for $30-40, in the US at least. I don't know where you're located.

As for multiplayer games, there's tons of great fighters and two-player games, but specifically for 4-player games you've got:
>Re-Volt
>Chu Chu Rocket
>Toy Commander
>Outtriger
>Fur Fighters
>Power Stone 2
>A few others I can't remember off the top of my head
Power stone 2 is definitely the best of the bunch, but the others are good as well.

There's also Sonic Shuffle, but I'd only suggest that if you hate your friends, or they all REALLY love sonic (though admittedly it's better multiplayer than single player).
>>
>>339777343
you want to play those shitty japanese games, right?
>>
>>339776767
PS1, hands down. Much like the PS2, it had the largest and most varied library in its generation. No matter what kind of games you like, you really can't go wrong with either a PS1 or a PS2.
>>
>>339778108
>>339778967
It depends where you live, I think (within the US I mean). In trendier areas/cities all the older stuff is marked waay up. I went to a Half Price Books on one side of town and a Dreamcast was $79, drove to the regular side of town to another HPB and it was 29.99 with three controllers. The last couple years there's this hipster fag wave of people thinking everything old is valuable, so it's causing a price surge.

But yeah, Dreamcast is still relatively affordable and it's not too old where they are ancient and prone to malfunction. I'd recommend Soul Calibur and Quake 3, as those are the games I played the most on mine.
>>
>>339778967
Thanks man, and those are all affordable I'm guessing?

I had no idea fur fighters was 4-player too, i don't think it was on the ps2.
>>
>>339776767
Get a CRT or you might as well emulate.
>>
>>339779408
PS2 only had 2 controller ports. They're mostly chap, but Power Stone 2 is creeping up there since it's known to be good. The first one is also good, and is actually the better fighting game IMO, but it's only 2-player.
>>
>>339779303
I'm not sure. All I know is that I want one. I'm very nostalgic for retro PCs, such as the MSX and ZX Spectrum.
>>
>>339779478
I have multiple CRTs. I don't mind admitting i enjoy the collecting aspect as well.
>>
>>339776767
I already collect NES, SNES, N64, PS, Genesis, Saturn, DC and some newer systems.
>>
>>339779940
oh nevermind, i misread your post
>>
>>339779987
What's it like paying reseller scum boatloads of cash?
>>
Go for an N64. It has so many incredible games.
>>
>>339776767
This image reminds me of that one Lynx commercial where the kid goes to the bathroom in his school and whips out that foot long brick.
>>
>>339780258
Roughly the same as paying retailer scum buttloads of cash the first time around.

End result is I get what I want.

So feels good man.
>>
>>339776767
OP. Stop. Hold up. Is this thread going to be used to help you decide which system to collect for?

Listen. Don't. Just don't. You missed the boat on collecting. Unless you're prepared to crank out thousands of dollars for what you could've gotten 10 years ago for $100, just don't even try.

If you really have to, just get the system and a flashcart/modchip so you can play everything without paying the outrageous prices that resellers demand. That or limit yourself to cheapo sports games. It really is the only economically justifiable way.
>>
>>339776767
any system that has only 2 controller ports is shit for multiplayer so you're limited to:
>n64
>dreamcast
>gamecube
>xbox

>b-b-but multitap!

>5th gen or earlier
n64 is a better multiplayer system than ps1. ps1 is a better collecting system and has more gems.

>>339777581
the problem with the dreamcast is so much of its library is made up of multiplatform games that are better on other systems. must have been great at the time. now? not so much.
>>
>>339780770
nah it's not for collecting, i've already been down that road and I already collect for the Gamecube.

it's just for what console i can invest in, mainly for a game room. I'm not looking for single-player games mostly, just multiplayer and whatever other scraps i find. I actually have a phenomenal retro game store in my area, which has great prices on most consoles and does sell virtually every single generation.

>>339778967
already helped me out anyway, but i'm down to hear other opinions.
>>
oh how about the genesis?

i know it has good fightan, but anything besides that?
>>
>>339780943
>the problem with the dreamcast is so much of its library is made up of multiplatform games that are better on other systems. must have been great at the time. now? not so much.
True, but there are a number of multiplats where the dreamcast version is the definitive version (Fur Fighters, Shadow Man, Rayman 2), numerous arcade games where DC was the only home release (Cannon Spike, Project Justice).

>>339781604
Genesis has lots of good shmups, platformers, beat-em-ups, and run-and-gun games.
>>
>>339781604
Lots of good multiplayer beat 'em ups, Gunstar Heroes, Soldiers of Fortune, Contra Hard Corps., General Chaos.
>>
>>339776767
Personally, I would probably choose the XBOX.
Strong multiplats, only one you can't emulate, and can be a solid emulator box itself.

Avoid the Dreamcast if you live with people and/or have neighbours.
>>
>>339782174
>Avoid the Dreamcast if you live with people and/or have neighbours.

Da fuck, are the audio cues absurdly loud or something
>>
>>339782441
The disc drive is quite a bit louder than other systems, but not loud enough to distract you from a game.
>>
>>339783207
oh lel, that's interesting.
>>
Xbox

Because you can't emulate that shit nigga.

Seriously, why is that so impossible to emulate ?
>>
>>339783792
my only concern is that the Xbox doesn't that many great (local) multiplayer games. At least not ones i'm into, which generally isn't FPSs.
>>
>>339784225
Most Xbox games arent fps .

Lot of them are multiplayer.
>>
>>339783207
DC disc drive was surpassed by PSP.

I cannot fucking stand playing physical PSP games.

>VVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRR
>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>CLICKCLICK
>WWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRR
>dropped

Thank fuck for digital PSP.
>>
PS3 Emulator when
>>
>>339784329
OK, how about a co-op RPG? Any good co-op platformers?
>>
N64/GC for multiplayer

SNES for games

PSX for collecting obscure shit
>>
>>339784482
We don't even have perfect PS2 emulation yet.
>>
>>339784638
And absurd retro tax on all of them
>>
>>339776767
SNES has a ridiculously large library and a lot of really good RPGs.
>>
>>339784885
perfect enough. I've played through nearly a hundred different titles, with very small glitches along the way.

wish the devs working on wii-u would give up on that shit and focus on the ps3 instead.
>>
>>339785393
SNES is good but it's easily THE most bullshit in terms of collecting.

Literally no good games are under $15.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.