[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: onlive-box.jpg (34 KB, 804x481) Image search: [Google]
onlive-box.jpg
34 KB, 804x481
What went wrong?
>>
>>339769820
I completely forgot this was a thing.
>>
TACHYONS
A
C
H
Y
O
N
S
>>
They thought people would want it.
>>
People dismissed it as vaporware during the initial marketing push, and no one bothered to try it out when it launched.
>>
File: 1325540315853.jpg (50 KB, 584x328) Image search: [Google]
1325540315853.jpg
50 KB, 584x328
>>339769820
what the hell am I looking at?
>>
File: howonliveworks1.png (871 KB, 596x600) Image search: [Google]
howonliveworks1.png
871 KB, 596x600
>>
>>339769820
Internet companies and ancient as fuck networks happened

Stream gaming isnt ready for the shit internet everyone still has
>>
>>339769820

Basic fucking economics is what killed it.

When you buy a game for $60, you still have to pay for the machine to run it, and basic internet. For most games, the internet data packages are tiny.

OnLive was basically creating individual streams for every instance of a game their users asked for, while also providing the power to render the game and eating huge bandwidth costs due to the streaming.

Something like Onlive will work when we have such perfect, ubiquitous computing that the cost of running an instance of a game and streaming it seamlessly to a location very far away is pretty much just as cost-efficient as letting the consumer handle the load.

So not for decades.
>>
I got the chance to beta test their service, and I was actually quite impressed with the input response time, but god damn, the blurry, heavily compressed graphics were an instant boner-killer. There's NO way this would have pumped out PS4/Xbone titles with any decent clarity unless you were on a gigabit connection, which barely exists in the States.
>>
>>339771424
Do you have the one where it works with chinese slaves pressing buttons on controllers?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.