[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
And yet again! Blizzard resorts to the same vague language in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 743x1072) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 743x1072
And yet again! Blizzard resorts to the same vague language in order to appeal to their investors.

>Overwatch hit 7 million Players

>players have logged more than 119 million hours, making the launch one of the "most successful" of all time.

> Eleven million payloads have been delivered, with players swapping out heroes 326 million times.

This isnt from ign, this stuff is straight from Blizzard

Notice how they say 7 million players instead of 7 million sales. this is very deliberate. they know they can get away with fudging sales numbers by saying some made up Players number.

how is this ethical? It's downright lying. By optimistic estimates, the game should be at around 3.3 million in sales.

And again we see meaningless big numbers just like riot does with league.

Who would support a company that cant speak clearly to consumers? Transparency is something we can all appreciate correct?
>>
File: 1459891605470.png (403 KB, 551x529) Image search: [Google]
1459891605470.png
403 KB, 551x529
>>339767789

They could lie about sales too and no one would know.

Who gives a fuck?
>>
as much as I agree with you, how can there be more than twice as many players as sales?
>>
>>339767962
It's on consoles. I can greatly overestimate the amount of people sharing/couch playing the game on console
>>
>>339767789
I dont think you understand business. IGN is not the same as a shareholders meet. Dont try to argue on behalf of investors if you know nothing of business.
>>
>>339767789
Who cares
>>
>>339767789
OP you dunce, you're looking at it in the completely opposite way.

Thousands of hackers have been banned after buying the game 2+ times. The sales are probably a lot higher than the amount of "players" at this point.
>>
>>339767789
Smart people who would find this practise disgusting dont buy shitty games like this

Casuals who buy trash like this dont care

Tldr no one cares
>>
>>339767789
>is about ethics on sales
>>
I really wonder how people like OP function on a daily.

I would hate myself ...so much
>>
File: 1177.gif (35 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1177.gif
35 KB, 300x169
So what you're saying is they meant 7 million players but implied 7 million sales and by doing this you're claiming they are trying to subtly lie and make it seem like they have 7 million sales.
But they said 7 million players you're saying what they really meant was 7 million players.
So in you're head, by them saying exactly what they meant they are lying.
You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>339768342
Im getting real tired of the "it's okay when x company does it" because lately x company is really every company.

>NINTENDO got away with dlc and microtransactions

>from software gets a pass for designing dlc content while working on the main game

>blizzard uses vague numbers to describe their games and noone cares

>valve fucking tried to monetize mods
>>
>>339767789
who cares they inflated wow's numbers too i dont fucking care
>>
>>339767789
who the fuck gives a shit, play the game or don't, no one's holding a gun to your head. fucking hell.
>>
I know multiple people who originally bought the PS4 version then picked up the PC version as well under the same Blizzard account since it's only $40. I'm sure there's a lot of people who've done the same, so 7 million players might actually balance out to mean 7 million sales.
>>
File: 1458349099463.png (61 KB, 606x568) Image search: [Google]
1458349099463.png
61 KB, 606x568
>>339767789
>Notice how they say 7 million players instead of 7 million sales.
How is this a bad thing?

Compare that to GTAV's "60 million" figure, where they says "sales" and mean "wholesale". Meaning that they count every copy of the game sitting on Walmart shelves or in Amazon's warehouses as a "sale".

Saying "players" is more transparent and honest than "sales"
>>
>>339767789
>overwatch isnt ACTUALLY successful, it ONLY sold 3.3 million

Stay butthurt faggot. It is creating a narrative to report players rather than sales but its not unethical and they certainly are not lying to their investors, who recieve actual financial reports on the profitability of company products.
>>
>>339767789
>Transparency is something we can all appreciate correct?

If you ask for transparency in the game industry, you get accused of misogyny.
>>
I don't understand what is vague about it. It doesn't say sales anywhere it says players. Where are you getting sales from?
>>
>>339769808
No YOU dont understand. today was the share holders meeting. And they gave us the same meaningless drivel they do every single fucking time.

I bought ATVI based solely on the projected p/e ratio compared to the ratio when i bought it and it gives dividends is ok too
>>
At this point nearly everyone in the industry is talking about Overwatch a lot. Obviously a lot of people don't care for it since it's an online shooter, but disregarding sales the amount of hype and conversation around the game says enough. On /v/ right now there's 3 separate OW threads (often many more) and /owg/ is one of the fastest generals on /vg/. This game was not a failure.
>>
>>339770384
Blizzard NEVER releases any actual sales numbers.

The best they used to do was WOW subscriptions, but they have announced that they wont be continuing that either.
>>
>>339770446
Maybe you should contact other shareholders and let them know about the trickery if you care so much.
>>
>>339767789
Dead game. Go play Battleborn you fools
>>
>>339770607
Why are you expecting them to now? Why do you feel they need to?

I'm curious about that kind of shit too, but it's more common for a company NOT to release that kind of information.
>>
>>339770781
>Battleborn /vg/ thread has been up for 3 days
>Overwatch general needs a new thread hourly
>>
Really who cares. If you believe the lies of large video game companies or put any stock in the words of a video game "journalist" you are a moron. This has been the case for at least a decade.
>>
>>339770781
You convinced me! I'll play once it goes F2P in the next week or so
>>
Real talk game companies use 'players' instead of 'sales' so investors think of the game buyers as recurring customers that are going to gobble up DLC/microtransactions. Using 'players' as an excuse to fudge the sales numbers up would be both super illegal and not worth the risk to company image.
>>
>>339767789
>3.3 million sales
>7 million players
I don't get it
>>
>>339771409
It really is normal practice and not illegal. I dont mean to say they lie about the number of sales. Blizzard will never tell you the sales numbers. It really is as simple as the number of people we can estimate to say are "players" is much bigger than the actual number of sales so we use that number and dumb investors are none the wiser.

>>339769781
This is also an issue pretty much in the same vein.
>>
>>339771409
How do they use them to fudge numbers?

If there are 7 million players, that must mean there were nearly 7 million sales, unless they're doing massive, massive giveaways.
>>
>>339771850
It doesnt. I can assume something like every console sale averaged about 1.7 players because console players will play couch coop or share their copy with a friend. this will make the players number bigger than sales significantly.
>>
>>339768106
>Call someone a dunce.
>Thinks "thousands" is comparable to "millions".
>>
>>339771471
there's nothing to get, OP is your typical anti-blizzfag on /v/
>>
>>339767789
Holy shit go play your shitty stillborn and never come back.
>>
>>339767789
>This faggot is so butthurt he doesn't remember that Blizzard consistently breaks sales records and reports massive increased profits every single time they release a game.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.