[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sakamoto on Metroid: Other M criticism in June 2010
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14
File: Yoshio-Sakamoto.jpg (196 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Yoshio-Sakamoto.jpg
196 KB, 400x600
Sakamoto: "Sakamoto: We have just launched Other M in Japan and I’ve been checking user opinions on the Japanese bulletin boards. What you say is definitely true; many of them are saying that they prefer Super Metroid. So it gives me some mixed feelings to hear that. It’s complicated simply because to me Super Metroid and Other M are both products that I was deeply involved with. So as far as I’m concerned, I don’t have to compare the two. It’s definitely true that Super Metroid was a good game but it is one of many good games in the series. Of course, there was the choice for me to work on a game more similar to Super Metroid but I don’t know if that would represent a true evolution of the series. We might be able to come up with a better Super Metroid but, some day sometime, we would work ourselves into a creative dead end if we were simply moving forward in one direction. I, myself, have been seeking new stimulations and new play feels with the games that I’ve been working on so at least I am trying to avoid repeating the same things."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/reinventing-metroid-interview?page=2

What did he mean by this?

Also on similar technology:

Sakamoto: "between Metroid: Other M and Super Metroid we had clearly defined concepts and even if we’d had similar technologies back then we would not have made Super Metroid the way we made Other M."

So /v/ what do you think?
>>
He doesn't know why people like Metroid
>>
>>339761912
OP here, to get my take off of this it sounds like something 343 Industries would say when asked about making a more classic Halo game.
>>
>>339762101

Considering the attitude of modern Nintendo fans, I think he was spot on.

>less "problematic" gameplay
>more Zero suit shots so you can masturbate to Samus more
>she's submissive to men because dominant women are "le SJW pandering"
>sold several millions despite people saying they wouldn't support it
>Sakurai AND Sakamoto embrace Zero Suit Samus and embraces her as a submissive waifu only good for sex
>Federation Force removes her as a playable character because, as Nintendo puts it, "women should be in the kitchen and not playable"

And to think I once supported these people.
>>
>>339761912
At least we have Metroidvanias to fill the void

Iga knows what's up
>>
>>339762591
Actually Sakamoto wanted less Zero Suit in Other M, originally there was going to be far more. Sakamoto feels that Samus needs to mostly stay in her armor.
>>
>>339762101
This describes Nintendo in general. So many of their properties have either declined in popularity, on life support, or dead and buried.
>>
>>339762816

Which is why he made it so her armor is powered by emotions, which conveniently malfunctions every other scene?

The jerk pulled the same trick in Zero Mission too.
>>
> I, myself, have been seeking new stimulations and new play feels with the games that I’ve been working on so at least I am trying to avoid repeating the same things.

there you have, oily faggot thinks he's a unique and special creative soul so it justifies the butchering of a perfectly fine formula
>>
>>339762941
Zero Mission at least had a reason for it, she could no longer activate her old suit.
>>
>>339763254

Which was literally because "she was emotionally distraught". I would've accepted any other reason, even something like an EMP wave which completely fries her suits systems. But nope, it's gotta be tied to her emotions because she's a woman!
>>
>>339763420
True
>>
>>339761912
I can't fault someone getting too involved with their work to notice flaws. It's our job as content creators to be the biggest critics of our work. But sometimes that can be very difficult. And sometimes we pick the wrong problem and focus on it too much.

In the Metriod's case the reason why a lot of people like it is because of the perfect explosion of atmosphere and design. Metriod is brilliantly impersonal and impartial. The alien world environments are as impartial in hostility as they are actively hostile. The lack of story adds to this alien feel. Music and wordless character interaction assist in maintaining the vibe that the world is inhuman and unexplored. This is great because the game is entirely about exploring. Even the worst pickups in Metriod (comparatively) give you ammo, which is useful in the gameplay. There's a strong sense of progression as you master the level design. Basically the more you know, the stronger you get. It plays with lot of primal switches.

Metriod Other M carries gameplay that really belongs in another series. The lack of exploration and the narrative-driven upgrades force the player into a relationship with the game that is more like a father with his son. You can't have the bombs yet because father says no. Whereas in Super Metriod, you can't have the badass laser beam because you need to find it.

This strip of agency is reflected in the narrative by focusing more on plot going around Samus. It's really the biggest change between Other M and Super Metriod. Player agency doesn't matter as much as it should. If anything i think this is why Other M resonated badly with a lot of Metriod fans even if they are quicker to complain about sexism, bad design, or narrative stupidity as these are the surface level issues that standout the most.
>>
>>339763420
That's what women do though. Only feminists act like women aren't ruled by emotions

Metroid is pretty realistic in that regard
>>
>>339763761

I play video games for fun, not realism.
>>
>>339763761
Will i shatter your suspension of disbelief to have a woman in a video game not ruled by her emotions?
>>
>>339763727
This the best criticism I have seen from Other M to date.
>>
Will it be more reviled?
>>
>>339764364
Tanabe's direction with the Prime series is just as bad.
>>
Other M gave Samus a personality, right? Did it also have an in-depth narrative?
I heard a lot of people complain about how she has moments of weakness and is flawed overall, but I'd prefer that over the tough girl stereotype any day.
>>
>>339764596
Fusion actually gave Samus personality.
>>
>>339764364
It's going to be a decent, but flawed game that people will hate because it's not Super Metroid.
>>
>>339764596

Samus's personality isn't the problem. It's that the game is a cinematic experience that actually prefers you to watch it instead of playing it. They even dedicate an entire mode to letting you skip the gameplay.

Is that sacrifice worth giving Samus "a voice"?
>>
>>339762101
>He doesn't know
He knew full well what they liked when he made Zero Mission which was only a few years before at the time. He experimented with Other M and it didn't pan out so hot, no reason to condemn the man.
>>
>>339764751
That's what annoys me the most about Other M, I'm fine with Samus being human and making mistakes because all humans do, but removing the gameplay from the game for a cinematic experience was just questionable. The game really should have been play tested.
>>
>>339764751
I like that they tried. It takes some balls to take a game where the protagonist's personality was mostly non-existant and try to create a story where it feels like she's really involved, instead of the boring super soldier cliché of always.

It'd be nice if they tried the same with Link and the Zelda series someday.
>>
>>339761912
>We might be able to come up with a better Super Metroid but, some day sometime, we would work ourselves into a creative dead end if we were simply moving forward in one direction.

this is a fair enough point. they don't do Ass Creed 12, they do new shit. some of it's bad but at least they stay active. Companies that only milk the same shit over and over stagnate and lose all credibility. Just look at the latest Bamham Arkham games. From can do the same thing one more time at the most, after that you'll niggers will hate their guts or simply not care.
>>
>>339765129

>I like that they tried

They shouldn't have tried at all. The moment someone said "let's have the cutscenes be unskippable, and have a mode that plays the game for you", all of them should've been fired on the spot and thrown off a cliff for good measure.
>>
>>339764596

>Other M gave Samus a personality, right? Did it also have an in-depth narrative?
I wouldn't say either of those statements are really accurate. Samus's "personality" in Other M still verges on stereotypical, it's just an even less interesting stereotype. The narrative hardly has anything resembling depth, either- multiple plot threads are just dropped entirely, and characters frequently act against their own interests just because it furthers the plot.
>>
>>339765129
>It'd be nice if they tried the same with Link and the Zelda series someday.
Aonuma fucked up Legend of Zelda enough, the last thing the series needs is the Other M treatment.
>>
>>339762101
This, tell him to fuck off an give it back to western devs
>>
>>339764751
Well it is a problem because she's a retarded autistic monotone doormat. It's just one of many problems.
>>
It's typical Japanese ideology bullshit talk. They come up with deep, philosophical reasons for their decisions and ignore all evidence of poor sales and dissapointed opinions. Same shit with Miyamoto, the answer to his problems are right in front of his fucking face, but it sounds cooler to spout spiritual/motivationl Creed.
>>
>>339765426

You could say that, I won't disagree. In a way, it led to the game being basically a glorified movie, because if Samus had an inkling of intelligence, she wouldn't have dragged out the game with her intentionally bad decisions, like following Adam's orders because of her daddy issues.
>>
File: 1425344718383.gif (1 MB, 256x229) Image search: [Google]
1425344718383.gif
1 MB, 256x229
>>339763727
you nailed it
>>
>We might be able to come up with a better Super Metroid but

METROID PRIME ALREADY GAVE YOU THE BLUEPRINTS
ALL
YOU HAD
TO FUCKING
DO
WAS MAKE SIMPLE
TRIED AND TRUE
2D COMBAT AND MOVEMENT
THAT YOU COULD OCCASIONALLY SWITCH TO 3D FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME
TO LOOK FOR UPGRADES AND PLOT-ADVANCING SHIT
INSTEAD OF DOING "SUPER BOMB EVERY TILE" THAT THE NOSTALGIAFAGGOTS KEEP CLINGING ONTO

God, Nintendo's incompetence makes me sick.
>>
He's right there though. Remaking the same thing slightly better isn't really a step forward.

That's not why Other M ended up a disappointment though, that was something entirely different, born of poor design choices.
>>
>>339761912
I think he's a fucking retard and he's avoiding the part where he fucking ruined Samus' character. Fucking piece of shit. I hope he gets testicular cancer.
>>
File: Luminoth_model3.png (352 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Luminoth_model3.png
352 KB, 1000x1000
>Metroid will never have cool alien races, culture, and lore ever again
>instead we get the generic Galactic Federation and turning Samus into a blow-up-doll
Sakamoto needs to retire and take Miyamoto with him.
>>
>>339765829
>He's right there though. Remaking the same thing slightly better isn't really a step forward.

Do you see people giving crap to the new Kirby game coming out or the new mainline Pokemon games coming out later this year for this?
>>
>>339763761
A game about a women raised by alien birds hunting evil space parasites the size of couch cushions doesn't need your gay red-pilled realism, faggot. Stop whiteknighting this garbage game.
>>
>>339765597
God. How the fuck did grown men work on the thumbs down shit without killing themselves? Think of all the time animators and modelers spent putting that cinematic together. How did the voice actors manage to say their lines? Why does this game exist?
>>
>>339765921
And Aonuma.
>>
He tried to appeal to Japs and it backfired spectacularly.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>339762591
>>
>>339762841
Literally Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart are the only legitimately good Nintendo franchises still going.

>inb4 Kirbronies dogpile me about their games made for pre-schoolers
>>
File: emotion powered armor.jpg (627 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
emotion powered armor.jpg
627 KB, 1280x1707
>>339762941
I thought you guys liked when western media affected the Metroid games
>>
>>339766183
What's wrong with Kirby? The series never had any lows comparable to Other M at least.
>>
>>339766281

The series, to a non-fan, is about a 5/10 average. Nothing horrible, but nothing stands out.

Even Robobot is just another average platformer with a gimmick.
>>
>>339766257
I took that as she wasn't wearing it but then got caught in a trap before she could react and activate the armor.
>>
>>339766183
All games are for kids, I fail to see the problem.
>>
>>339766183
what about smash?
>>
>>339766381
I seriously disagree. It has some average games, but it has some strong ones as well. What doesn't stand out to you?

Consistency is a strong thing to value as well. I rather Kirby as it is, then risk it having some game like Sticker Star or Other M.
>>
>>339766142
And Tanabe
>>
File: 3453456893596670.jpg (113 KB, 600x562) Image search: [Google]
3453456893596670.jpg
113 KB, 600x562
>>339762101
The same way Miyamoto doesn't know why people like Star Fox. There comes a point where a creator of a beloved franchise needs to say "it's time to step back and let someone else do it."
>>
File: 060.jpg (344 KB, 1050x750) Image search: [Google]
060.jpg
344 KB, 1050x750
>>339766429
Nah, she was full up at the time.
>>
>>339766596
And Koizumi
>>
>>339766604
star fox 64 was literally babies first rail shooter
>>
File: 51354WN0AEL.jpg (58 KB, 359x500) Image search: [Google]
51354WN0AEL.jpg
58 KB, 359x500
>>339766687
Which is why the series needed to evolve. But not in the way Star Fox Zero tried to evolve it.
>>
>>339763727
>This strip of agency is reflected in the narrative by focusing more on plot going around Samus. It's really the biggest change between Other M and Super Metriod. Player agency doesn't matter as much as it should. If anything i think this is why Other M resonated badly with a lot of Metriod fans even if they are quicker to complain about sexism, bad design, or narrative stupidity as these are the surface level issues that standout the most.

This is exactly it. This is why all these idiots saying "ur just mad samus takes orders from a man!!!" and trying to inject SJWs vs GGers narrative into the discussion miss the point.

The main issue is how a series that was known for fully immersing the player in its world and rewarding him for his efforts completely abandoned that aspect in favor of some third rate wish fullfillment fanfiction.

Everything from the cutscenes to Samus retarded monologues, the authorization system, the fucking QTEs, the automated dodging aiming and executions contribute to making you feel like a spectator while the whole point of Metroid is supposed to be the illusion of living an adventure, of being Samus. lt's an overwhelming failure in every way.
>>
>>339766626
Koizumi doesn't need to retire, he needs to get out of the Miyamoto assigned purgatory he's stuck in.

>man is obviously a gigantic lore and storyfag, to the point that he's the main reason Zelda games even HAVE a lore in the first place
>"Put this man on Mario games! Does it really need a story?"

>Aonuma hates Zelda, dies to Octoroks, and prefers text adventure games
>"Make this man the president of Zelda!"
>>
File: 1464276482161.jpg (33 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1464276482161.jpg
33 KB, 250x250
>>339766440
>le all games for kids!!!!
>Kirbyfags use this meme to disguise the fact that they play games meant for toddlers

Do you watch Nick Jr and eat Flintstones vitamins too?
>>
>>339766841
nintendo is dumb.
>>
>>339766861
And at this point you were never here to dispute why the games were bad but instead to shitpost and act like a child yourself.
Get real, you aren't a fucking junior high student, act your age
>>
>>339766474
I personally wasnt a fan of Smash 4, even as a casual player. It's very clear that the 3DS version completely gimped it, and the incessant "down throw to up air" combos got fucking boring.
>>
>>339766474
>
>>
>>339767008
did a middle school guidance counselor type out this post
>>
>>339766861
donkey kong and Mario are also kiddy games
>>
>>339766551

What doesn't stand out is the lack of challenge. Kirby shares some similarities with my favorite games (like a minimal story, colorful graphics, etc) but it lacks the challenge that I seek in a game. It also, oftentimes, lacks the mechanical depth of other titles like Mechwarrior or skill based shooters that aren't just mature dudebro call of duty clones.
>>
>>339766841
To the point where he snapped and started trying to put story in Mario.
>>
>>339766440
>Who cares if I still watch Dragon Tales, all cartoons are for kids!

This is how you sound. If you're gonna play Kirby just fuckign own up to it instead of making retarded statements like that.
>>
File: Dedede Is Concerned.png (12 KB, 560x480) Image search: [Google]
Dedede Is Concerned.png
12 KB, 560x480
>>339766861
Not even him but the fact you need to constantly put down people who like Kirby, is not helping your argument. Resorting to ad-hominem much? Do you like being an elitist?
>>
>>339767224
No they aren't. There's actual challenge to be found in the DKC games. This is why the series satisfies both adults and children.

>inb4 hurrrr you gotta 100% le Kirby games for a challenge
>>
File: 1456386902455.gif (491 KB, 320x242) Image search: [Google]
1456386902455.gif
491 KB, 320x242
>>339767536
>There's actual challenge to be found in the DKC games
no it doesn't and you're also a manchild for playing a children's game
>>
>>339767536
>games need challenge or they are kiddy shit
So are franchises like Uncharted and most horror games "kiddy shit?"
>>
>>339766281
Because Kirby games have such a small margin for error. The games are made for young children to be introduced to video games, so you can't overcomplicate things.

I'm not putting them down for being made for kids but it's not a surprise that it's a consistent franchise
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
144 KB, 1440x1080
>>339767231
The recent games have been adding more things to make up for challenge. Since Super Star Ultra, they have added modes like The True Arenas, and Ex Modes where everything is harder with changed level designs and more difficult bosses, and optional bosses in general.
>>
>>339767684
Good counterpoint, you really showed me!

>>339767756
Nice try moving the goalposts, but those games are only seen as more "mature" because they're rated so. Kids can definitely play Uncharted but no parent is gonna buy their kids a horror game because they don't wanna deal with a kid who is too scared to go to sleep at night.
>>
>>339767684
>donkey kong games arent hard

Bopopolis says hello, faglord.
>>
>>339766774
Assault is a worse game than Zero though.
>>
>>339767997
>moving Goalposts
>>339767536 (You)
>There's actual challenge to be found in the DKC games

Yeah, nice moving Goalposts on your end.
>>
>>339767787

Sadly, those aren't that difficult. It's an effort, but a wasted one.
>>
>>339767756

>So are franchises like Uncharted and most horror games "kiddy shit?"
Yes, as a matter of fact, they are! Have you forgotten FNAF so quickly?
>>
>>339765129
>Link and the Zelda series someday

well excuuuuuuuuuuuse moi princess
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.