[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 23
File: DarkSouls2600.png (219 KB, 410x512) Image search: [Google]
DarkSouls2600.png
219 KB, 410x512
Dark Souls thread.
>>
Ds2 and 3 only made changes to accomodate shitters and ruined the fuck you, git gud crybaby attitude that made des and ds1 so magical
>>
>>339751742
But DaS2 was harder than 1
>>
>>339751489
1 > 3 > 2
>>
>>339751742
>tfw you wotg someone off the bridge in the kiln and the delicious hate mail you get for it
>>
should i buy Ds2 with ng+?
>>
>>339751849
when was the last time you actually played 1?
the first half of the game is amazing but the second half is beyond shit.
>>
>>339751814
(you)
>>
>>339751742

2 was harder and more annoying than 1 imo.
1 is has been the easiest so far. 3 is pretty easy as well.
>>
>>339752237
Way to out yourself as an easily influenced faggot. Nobody who played the game without having heard about or read about the second half meme before hand ever had the thought of post anor londo being shit even cross their mind

except izalith, and that's pre-patch izalith
>>
>>339752450
dont know why I expected a rational answer from a Fromdrone
>>
>>339753045
What part of what I said wasn't rational? You heard the 2nd half meme and repeat it to fit in
>>
>>339751814
Harder to get used to the buttfuck retarded mechanics and underwater gameplay, sure.
>>
>>339752450
Nah, the second half is still noticeably bad even if you never heard it got rushed.

Despite that however, it still manages to be fun and the overall game is better than ds3 imo.

My stance is that the pvp and overall player interaction was better in ds than any other souls game, so that's why I think 1>3>2
>>
>>339751489
A deconstructed homebrew of an Atari Dark Souls port would actually be pretty sweet
>>
>>339753327
what?
>>
>>339753206
that or the second half is legitimately bad and this isn't some sort of meme or conspiracy against From. I still adore DS but the second half is garbage, glad you like it though
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 273x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 273x270
Bloodborne is best from game.

Disucc
>>
>>339753512
Dukes archives is one of the coolest areas to invade though. The bosses were cheesy, but the areas were pretty dope overall.
>>
>>339753315

DS1 is still my favourite, felt like a good book you take your time with and read. However I cannot for the life of me be bothered doing an NG+ run with it.
Just one of those things you experience one time and really enjoy it then never touch again really.
DS2 was shit imo, I had zero desire to play it ever.
DS3 was fun, easy and too short though. But fun at least. Wouldn't mind doing multiple NG+s for 3 because I felt like you go through the game a bit too fast to take everything in first time.
>>
>>339752237
TotG is one of the coolest gimmick areas they made.
Seath's areas are okay, archives suffer from being kind of generic, but crystal cave is fun to navigate.

It's really weird though how the second half in all five games is worse than the first. Except for DeS because you can do the shit parts almost whenever.
>>
At this point, FROM should port DaS1 and DeS to PS4 and offer DaS2 as a reward for beating them both.
>>
>>339753769
NG+ on ds1 isn't all that worth it unless you need extra spells, so I don't blame you. I played through DS2 with some friends so it helped with the monotony, but going back after playing 3 feels impossible. 3 was fun, I feel like the abused the nostalgia though, and the pvp mechanics they implemented to appeal to new players makes the game too exploitable.

I'll still probably log a fre hundred ours in ds3 anyways.
>>
>>339753908

I don't know, I didn't really feel like the later areas were any worse than the first areas.
It's only after people started peddling that meme on /v/ that the second half of Dark Souls is boring that people actively started considering it.
I know they say the last half is rushed and some areas are unfinished but I don't think it's that bad.
>>
>>339751814
it wasn't, DaS had way worse controls
>>
>>339754183

Yeah the nostalgia was mostly pandering and didn't really make any sense. A whole chunk of the game felt like a loveletter to DS1 really. Not that it's a bad thing I just wished they explained it better why people were there other than time is distorted or the nature of the world is unknown or something.

But yeah, DS3 has been the funnest Dark Souls. DS1 holds a special place in my heart though.
>>
>>339754295
Mobility in DS2 was shit, which made it sort of hard, but I think Bloodborne was the hardest of Froms games.

After that, I'd say Demons Souls, as long as you don't employ any of the numerous game breaking cheese tactics.
>>
>>339754295

I wouldn't say it had worse controls, one of the things I liked about 1 was how weighty the combat felt. Something I wish DS2 and 3 would implement actually.
DS2 is just annoying. I know people meme about how the hitboxes in Dark Souls 1 are retarded but I thought they were fine. Dark Souls 2 hitboxes are truly retarded though.
>>
>>339753679
Agreed. I hope it comes to PC one day, I don't even own a PS4.
>>
>>339753679

Yeah some guy in CEX said Bloodborne was his favourite and he's a pretty big souls fan.
I was gonna buy a PS4 just to play it really. Pretty glad Persona 5 is coming out too, feels like a more justifiable purchase.
Don't know whether to get a 4k or not though.
>>
>>339754183
Pvp is a fucking mess because any roll below 70% is better than fast roll was in 1 and has no recovery animation on it. And estus drinking is done at the speed of light and can't be punished. Even when you are hit with a lloyds in 3 the animation of you shaking the flask is faster than a single drink was in 1. And all this is only made worse cause shields are useless and get broken in 2 hits

The game went from methodic sword and board where you had to think about when to guard, attack, dodge or heal to roll spam, heal spam, r1 spam abuse
>>
>>339754418
It felt like they tried to at the beginning in the undead settlement where the giant rifts in the ground looked like the earth was moving unnaturally towards lothric, but it really didn't build on its overall story much after that.

I think the game was far more interested in its individual characters that the overall story, because I really enjoyed Anri's quedtling, same with Siegward, though that one was really cheesy.
>>
>>339751489
Playing Dark Souls for the first time

FUCK the tag team bosses in Anor Londo Jesus fuck how the fuck can I git gud pls help
>>
>>339754189
I'm saying in general, ignoring DeS as I said because you can rush world 5 and do the fun parts.

Izalith is shit, as I said, I liked the rest, but so many areas before O&S, like the painted world, burg/parish and new londo are unmatched by the rest.
Save for the DLC, the giant's forest, Heide's tower are far better than the rest.
Everything before Rom trumps the rest of the game, you got Yharnam, Old Yharnam, Cainhusrt and so on, the worse area being a late game area which you can get to earlier.
The best area in 3 is the cathedral, and you also have the catacombs, meanwhile later on you get minuscule things like the profaned capital and anor londo, or just areas which add almost no new things, like lothric castle. Grand archives and farron keep being exceptions to the overall tendency, of course.

It seems in every game they blow their load too early.
>>
>>339754947
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that one. I just run around as an Aldrich Faithful if I want pvp because 1v1s usually involve one or both players slapping at each other with longswords.
>>
File: 1453993618205.jpg (234 KB, 688x497) Image search: [Google]
1453993618205.jpg
234 KB, 688x497
>>339751489
>mfw finally beat that piece of shit.

After completing the game without going for the dlc, going to NG+ to attempt it has left me with copious amounts of unneeded rage. And I still have Manus left. I need psychological support, help.
>>
>>339755053

Yeah a little bit, boreal valley was cool imo wish we would have got a bit more based on that.
That said, isn't lore mostly interpretive in Dark Souls? A lot of the lore seems vague.

>>339755249

I get Izalith, that was pretty baron. Painted world is like an entirely different world though so I felt like they had a bit more creativity with that.
New Londo isn't that great imo.

Cathedral was okay, I don't think it was the best area at all really. Seemed pretty standard.
Boreal Valley was the coolest place imo, needed a little more expansion though.

Grand archives just reminded me of DS1 too much.
>>
>>339755242
Rolling is your best friend and solaire is on the opposite staircase near the one diver knight archer if there's nobody else to summon.

Also, go for the spear guy first, the second half is easier that way, unless you want his gear.
>>
File: bowser.png (275 KB, 387x299) Image search: [Google]
bowser.png
275 KB, 387x299
>>339754516
>I think Bloodborne was the hardest of Froms games.
On your first playthrough maybe.

Once you learn how to parry (and stagger Vicar out of her heal, Paarl out of his electric charge, etc.), almost 3/4s of the game's bosses are rendered completely hilarious tier easy
>>
>>339755242

Just go in there the first few times or so and learn their movesets. Learn what you can get away with. They're easy when you know how to work them.

Just keep back, roll a lot. Get rid of Ornstein first. After he spams his attack get a few hits in and get out of the way before Smough launches you. Just go from one end of the arena to the other and keep doing that. You can use the pillars to stop smough from charging you if you angle it right.
>>
We can all agree Dancer is best girl right?
>>
>beaten Bloodborne 6 times
>only boss I have trouble with is Blood Starved Beast
>Every other boss I can down in no time at all with no deaths
>I have to summon to even stand a chance at BSB

I genuinely don't know why.
>>
>>339755539
don't worry dude kalameet was way harder. as long as you have the talisman you're fine
>>
>>339755564
From had gotten a bit too obsessed with vague lore, it's cool because it allows for fan theories and interaction, but sometimes it can get in the way of a coherent story. One example of this was that iirc Bloodborne has a full story, but it was diced up to allow a more "souls" feel.

I don't mind it honestly, BBs lore was pretty well done anyways, but I think DS3 tried too hard to replicate what it had done in the past and ended up with a really shallow story. One thing that bothered me the most was that I had no idea who the Oceirous was, it's like he just appeared out of nowhere, was he ever mentioned before we got to that area, he seemed like a fairly significant character with all that dialogue in his fight.
>>
>>339752237
This. On first playthrough after O&S the game becomes a slog you just push on through.
>>
>>339755803

Was everybody just memeing about dancer being hard?
I beat her first try.

>>339756107

Vague lore can be really good if it's done well because it gets people interacting with the story more than if you just threw it in their face. It's only good if they have actual answers to their speculation though which it feels like Fromsoft just make it up as they go along sometimes or they just didn't think certain stuff through.
Hopefully the DLC sheds some more light on stuff. They're announcing DLC at E3 aren't they?

I'll definitely have to pick up Bloodborne and a PS4, lots of people say it's their favourite.
>>
>>339755716
That's how I generally rate difficulty though, of course once you practice a boss it's going to become easy, but I get what you're saying.

That said, I think BB strayed just far enough from the usual souls formula to throw even some of the veterans off their game in the beginning, making everyone relearn how to play the game. That's the main reason I'd say BB is the most challenging.
>>
>>339755572
>spear guy first
I do everytime but when the executioner gains his powers he always one shots me with his jump attack. I'm shit with magic so I just can't blast him from a distance. I'm level 67 so I should be able to beat them. I never had trouble with bosses until now.

if all else fails I'll probably just finish the ghost area and level up some then try the double bosses again. This is very frustrating.
>>339755795
He rapes me with his jumping lightning attack. One shot and I'm usually done for.

Fuck, are there harder bosses than these guys? I'm in for a real treat if so..
>>
>>339755249
In DeS world 5 is considered the shit part? Fuck, I just finished the game today and world 5 was one of my favourite. It was a less obnoxious Blightown, the swamp part felt grand and the final fight was a fun mano a mano. The lore was also pretty nice: Astraea taking on a Demon's Soul to try and help the poor beings of the Valley who in turn prey on souls to offer her because they're literally smitten by her (including the fucking abortions people dumped down there). Protected by her faithful knight until you barge in and kill him even though she asks you to leave, she chooses to suicide "Do as you like. Take your precious Demon Soul."
>>
>>339756354

Just time your rolls bro.
As far as harder bosses I don't think so. They're all pretty easy after that iirc.
>>
>>339755572
I think smough is the harder second phase
>>
>>339755564
Irithyll may have a nice thematic aesthetic but it's a jumbled mess in terms of gameplay. Now I don't know the exact geometry but it's basically a big cricle, you go in a linear path from the beginning to pontiff and then you unlock a gate that connects it to the beginning. There's no real side areas to explore it's road to yorshka bonfire, another road, straight through a lake, then back up another road to the shortcut gate. It's phoned in level design

Cathedral on the other hand is the only area in 3 that has any sort of connectivity and inter-bonfire gauntlet runs. You run through the graveyard, scrape the side of the big entrance, move to the roof and supports to find a way in, then finally into the cathedral proper and that's just to the first shortcut back to the chapel.
>>
>>339753679
When I was playing BB I found myself pining for the weapon verity and sense of exploration in DS. When I played DS3, I found myself pining for the claustrophobic and genuinely horrifying atmosphere as well as more streamlined gameplay of BB. It's close, but I think my heart will always have room for medieval fantasy. Bloodborne's creepy Victorian era aesthetics were very effective at creating a claustrophobic and oppressive environment, but perhaps too effective. Dark Souls, despite its bleak setting, has a weird almost peaceful comfyness to it, owed in no small part to the fantastic music but also the serene somber tranquility of a world that's nearly devoid of human life. Both DS1 and BB are some of the most memorable experience I've had in video games period, but I have to give the edge to DS1 in this regard.
DS1 > BB > ds3 > ds2 (although I'm still somewhat of an apologist for DS2). Also I've never played DeS, I need to get on that.
>>
Issue 2 of the Dark Souls comic came out wednesday.

Rest assured, it was shit, I don't think I ever saw a comic with this many words. Couldn't even tell you what happened.
>>
>>339755916

The fuck?

The only hard part of Kalameet is cutting the tail, actually, it's the hardest "enemy body part" to cut in the entire game, he's fairly easy, now Manys can wreck your shit, sure, you can have the talisman but the fucker has outstanding range and speed, still a fun fight, though.
>>
>>339755242
Just keep at it, eventually something will "click" and you'll ace it. That's what happened to me, I must have tried the fight like 20 times (I wanted Orsntein gear so I left him for last) and then suddenly I solo aced it naked using a Halberd.
>>
>>339752237
Why does everyone hate the second half?
Dukes archives and crystal cave were both some of the best areas in the game
>>
What is the best choice to play DS1 as today? PS3 or PC?
>>
>>339756369
The music that plays during the boss area really set the mood for me. The whole part was sad but that music was the icing on the cake.
>>
>>339756731
PC objectively, but I played it on PS3 earlier this year and still enjoyed it

Also the servers are still somewhat active on PS3, I'm not sure about PC
>>
>>339756730
Cause most people don't have a single original thought in their head
>>
>>339756469

In terms of level design the cathedral was good but aesthetically it was poor imo.
Well not poor but standard I guess? I suppose it suffers from the opposite problem as Boreal Valley.
I thought the valley was going to be much cooler however, it felt pretty built up.
>>
>>339756328
BB is great change of pace compared to other souls games because it makes offensive playstyles extremely rewarding.

>>339756451
I haven't played DaS in a while, but actually, I think you're right. I remember his spear attacks being much easier to dodge than smoughs hammer, oops.
>>
>>339756894
>active server on PS3
NANI?!
That's impressive
>>
File: 1464853028889.jpg (225 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1464853028889.jpg
225 KB, 800x533
>>339756107
BB handled lore a million times better than any Dark Souls title honestly. Even without straying into item descriptions everything was fairly apparent.

>You're a newcomer to the town, your job is to hunt beasts
>Dreams are tangible worlds, made evident from the Hunter's Dream's appearance right at the start
>You go hunt beasts, but there are weird eldritch statues everywhere hinting at something deeper, along with mentions of the "byrgenwerth spider" hiding rituals in notes everywhere
>CUTSCENE reveals that Lawrence and his shitty old blood from the chalice dungeons fucks everything up and that's why beasts are around
>eventually get to byrgenwerth
>find the spider
>kill the spider
>"go stop the ritual"
>you stop the ritual
>crazy motherfucker hosting the final nightmare realm reveals his dumb batshit plan
>kill him
>kill his pet elder god
>guy who has given you advice and guidance through the game tells you at the end that he has to kill you to turn you back into a normal person and not an immortal hunter
>you say fuck off and he's forced to fight you by the secret big bad
>kill him and release him
>either get forced to take his place by the moon presence or ascend enough to kick HIS ass too and take HIS place

Literally all of that, a complete game story, is pieced together through easily placed stuff and mandatory NPC dialogue.

Whereas if you didn't read any item descriptions or anything, 90% of any Souls game would go over your head and you'd just be fighting random shit the whole time.
>>
If there's one thing I could congratulate the Souls series for, it would be for the 10/10 atmosphere.

Thanka From
>>
>>339756731
PC allows for better frames and visuals, but there's probably much more activity on PS3 because PC dark souls is really finicky.

I'd still play on pc though, some of the areas absolutely tank your frames on console, but I didn't even know about this untill someone told me because I'd only played on pc.
>>
>>339757087
Even DeS still has a somewhat active playerbase somehow. I've been playing the game for the first time and there's plenty of messages, bloodstains and pvp from what I've seen (the few times I was "human" which allows invasions, I was invaded).
>>
>>339756936
Also linear, dragon-ass, lava cave isn't my idea of fun.
>>
Is it bad that DS3 is my favorite souls game? In that it combines faster combat and handling of BB with the medieval fantasy of DS.
>>
>>339753486
The picture in the OP
>>
>>339757229
It's split down the middle, vague lore and item descriptions is one of the reasons why the souls games got so popular because you could have endless discussions on what you thought was going on. The problem is, those kinds of stories can contradict themselves really easily and you end up with stories like DS2/3.

I don't remember where I heard it, but Bloodborne was originally going to be a completely straightforward game, but had bits and pieces taken out to make it more traditionally souls-like. I don't mind, and I think it was done well, but it does make me wonder if From can make a full game.
>>
>>339757426
>Not giving 30 humanity to the pale lady in order to save solaire, not have to experience Dragon butt lava, and fast pass all the way to the witch of izashit.
C'mon senpai, you're better than that.
>>
>>339757407
This didn't happen to me when I played DeS years ago, there were only some bloodstain and I got invaded like once.
>>
>>339754295
I didn't realize they had any different controls
>>
>>339755284
>>339754947
You haven't really tapped into the upper echelon of DaS3 pvp then. R1 spamming gets you parried, rolling away means estus, roll spam can be countered with well-timed dash attacks. My only real beef with the pvp is that armour serves very little purpose.
>>
>>339757512
They fucked up the fundamental piece of Dark souls' design and that's we don't give a shit if it's unfair you can either figure it out or you can return the game. Ds1 and Des weren't for everybody and that's why they were special

Ds2 is just a pile of shit so I'll leave it out but Ds3 flips the fuck you attitude and if you can't play the game well whatever summon 3 phantoms and don't worry about invaders, we made sure those bullies won't hurt you anymore

Like it's just absurd to me that the prevailing feeling of players towards invaders nowadays is "I didn't invite you to my world, so I'll run and heal and summon phantoms all day" And From enables it by restricting everything invaders can do when the solution was in the game already - stay hollow bitch nigga
>>
File: Bully.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Bully.webm
2 MB, 640x360
Am I bullying this guy? I feel little bad inside.
>>
>>339758198
Stop playing multiplayer games. They are shit for a reason: humans are shit.
>>
>>339758215
Why are lords of cinder so fucking weak?
>>
>>339758183
Ds3 pvp is fucking trash my man
>>
>>339758031
I think the release of ds3 got people interested, that's what got me to do it at least.
>>
>>339756730
Dukes Archives and Crystal Caves were awesome. Tomb gets a pass too for at least trying to be unique.

Now, Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins and New Londo, they sucked so much ass that they single handedly ruin the last half.

>>339757512
>In that it combines faster combat and handling of BB
It does it poorly though. The bosses and enemies all act like BB, but only using certain weapons can you actually match that, rendering stuff like the non-farron UGS weapons, and other "slow" builds shitty.

>>339757797
Bloodborne is already super straightforward though, and everything outside of what's given to you on the main path through your quest is purely icing on the cake.

The DLC is where you need item descriptions and stuff to really figure out what's going on, as you won't know who the fuck Ludwig is or why he's significant, but the main game really is completely straightforward.
>>
>>339758410
>a small piece of partly burned coal or wood that has stopped giving off flames but still has combustible matter in it.

DEEPEST LORE
>>
>>339758198
I don't ever remember being in that kind of situation for DaS1. Just like in DaS3 you could flee into fog gates to evade invaders or simply summon help, in fact the only souls game where I really felt punished by an invader was DaS2 because every defensive tactic took so long (fog entering, drinking estus, summoning) and the invader could stop it.
>>
>>339753679
sony dick is pretty big japanese praise the big dick
will do anything for big dick
>>
>>339757993
To be fair, 30 Humanity is a lot if its your first playthrough and if youre a scrub.
>>
>>339758457
Well what are the other options? DaS1 pvp was awful, backstab fishing until the cows come home. DaS2 had pretty good pvp but the netcode and shockwaves were annoying as fuck, DeS is literally cavemen with sticks primitive at this point and BB might as well not even have it.
>>
>>339758578
New Londo was decent at least. It was unique in that it was the only area without bonfires and had the darkest feeling to it (being the only area in the vanilla game that had fallen to the Abyss)
>>
>>339755242
The first phase of the fight is meant to take a fucklong time. You run around for a while, get a hit in when dragon dildo ornstein decides to leave cocksucker smough's nasty butthole for more than three seconds, and then run around for a while. Just keep whittling him down like that and when it's just one guy the fight's over.
>>
File: 1463687434847.png (70 KB, 1021x700) Image search: [Google]
1463687434847.png
70 KB, 1021x700
>>339757229
Nah, DS1 lore was pretty good, DS2 started shit with dumb shards of Manus idea and DS3 went full TIME IS CONVOLUTED EVERYTHING IS CYCLE.
>>
>>339758692
You can't just roll spam to flee any situation in ds1 though, you need to straight up turn your back and start running. In Ds1 when you're invaded you are forced to confront them, you cannot just evade them the whole time because with the limited mobility you will get bullied if you try to avoid fighting

That being said there's still not much you can do to stop a guy who knows the area from sprinting straight to the boss but there's nothing like the roll spam and run for 10 minutes shit you can get away with in 3. And in Ds1 you can invade Duke's archives where the host is a long long looooooooooooong way from any boss door
>>
>>339758884
Just backstab the backstab fisher ya nub, like how easy does it get?
>>
>>339759075
Except if you actually fucking played the games you'd know that all 3 games address the cycle.
>>
>>339759120
That's true, but in any souls game it isn't too difficult to avoid people while fleeing, you just keep the camera on them with a bit of hand claw and twitch react to any attack. The clunky rolls of DaS1 I agree should come back, the rolls in DaS3 have the smallest vulnerability frames and no delay on recovery. Also I wish they had kept the fog wall entrance of DaS2, where you have a good 1-2 seconds to hit the host before they were considered in the fog gate, stopping any fog retreats.
>>
>>339751991
just buy the ng+
>>
>>339759075
DS1 had the benefit of the cutscene that told you who all the major players in the story were, so you knew who everyone was and could piece it together yourself mostly.

DS2 I STILL don't know why I was fighting half the fucking idiots I was fighting, and in DS3, there is some genuinely cool shit there but so much of it is buried under "because DS1"

BB is still my favorite by far though. even for PvP, which I adore in BB because despite people complaining about the bell mechanics, they gave actual areas with a constant bell too which guarantees a decent PvP fight no matter what.
>>
>>339757993
>Get to rank 2
>Chaos Storm? Woah that sounds cool I wanna try it out!
>Use it next to Fair Spider Bitch
>Accidentally kill her before she opens the shortcut
>>
>>339758410
Aren't they only like 1/5 of Gwynn, since it takes 5 souls to link the fire now when before it only too 1? That could explain why they're so shit.

>>339758578
I'm not saying BB isn't straightforward, I'm just saying that they purposely took a full story and cut pieces off to make it vague.

>>339758872
No number is too much for the pale waifu. You're right though, I doubt any new player would even think to give her humanity for the purpose of opening a shortcut anyways.
>>
>>339753679
This. I hate the fact though that if you state BB is your favorite that you're immediately a "Sonyngger" to this board though
>>
File: CgubTdnU4AE1k7r.jpg large.jpg (126 KB, 1024x689) Image search: [Google]
CgubTdnU4AE1k7r.jpg large.jpg
126 KB, 1024x689
>>339759682
>there is some genuinely cool shit there but so much of it is buried under "because DS1"

I would prefer Lothric/Irithyll/Profaned Capital-centered game over nostalgia trip. Honestly, even in current state of game it`s obvious that From put a lot more effort in "new" locations (except Profaned Ladder to gimmick boss), but completely dropped their balls on REMEMBER THIS??? areas. Fucking Undead Settlement is bigger and has more details than AL 2.0 and Smoldering Lake combined.
>>
>>339759708
What pieces COULD they even cut off though? Everything important is already given to you during the main BB quest.

I really do feel like regardless of all that, BB is the pinnacle of video game storytelling, in that it relies upon a degree of exploration to reveal BACKGROUND on the world, but tells you important things through the game and gameplay too, with minimal cutscenes.

Souls is too "secret lore" mode, and shit like Uncharted is too hamfisted in its exposition and cutscenese. BB strikes a good ass balance.
>>
>>339760434
>Fucking Undead Settlement is bigger and has more details than AL 2.0 and Smoldering Lake combined.
To be fair AL is just the last third of Irithyll and most of Smoldering Lake is optional.
>>
File: Mandatory Souls Games.jpg (306 KB, 1198x827) Image search: [Google]
Mandatory Souls Games.jpg
306 KB, 1198x827
>>339753679
Second best. But that's not important.
>>
I'm invading ds1 right now and it's all ds3 players who think they can run and summon phantoms

They don't even try to attack me
>>
Playing through 3 for the first time now. Just beat Wolnir. I'm not trying to gloat or anything but this game is fucking easy. I've literally only died to a boss once, the greatwood tree thing. Almost died to Abyss Watchers but just about made it.

Mostly I'm just enjoying the fact that the online is actually active, it's been so long since DaS 1 and 2 PvP and co-op died
>>
File: 1452710333681.png (56 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1452710333681.png
56 KB, 500x400
FROM games are utter shit, and the fanbase has managed to become worse than that of Sonic. What a sour end-note to japanese videogames.
>>
>>339761090
Lol I have been too. This one guy had two phantoms and was taunting and I three shot him.
>>
File: 1380593585259.jpg (50 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1380593585259.jpg
50 KB, 500x492
>>339761460
if this has all been a dream then please just fucking kill me. pull the plug, doc.
>>
>>339761238
>I'm not trying to gloat or anything but this game is fucking easy.
It's weird because certain enemies like Outrider and Cathedral Knights give me trouble, but most of the early game bosses were really easy.
>>
File: 2 spoopy.jpg (127 KB, 606x680) Image search: [Google]
2 spoopy.jpg
127 KB, 606x680
>>339754295
This
>mfw lock on spastically switches 180 degrees between enemies whenever I try to get two of them on the screen at once
>>
>>339762035
>try to lock on while moving away
>screen turns three sixty degrees and drifts the fuck away
>>
Where we will go in the DLC? Londor maybe?
>>
how do i beat the last giant plz its to hard
>>
>>339762768
The DLC will definitely be Londor mostly because they have to explain what the fuck that ending meant and tell us what Kaathe has been doing all this time.

As a side does Dark Souls 3 have a hero to look forward to in the DLC? In 1 it was Artorias. In 2 it was Alonne. In Bloodborne it was Ludwig. Who's 3's hero?
>>
>>339760676
I'll be honest, while I fucking love BB I think DaS is far clearer in its lore and story than BB is. I mean if you know nothing else you know in DaS1 you're supposed to go to Lordran to hear about a prophecy and that prophecy was to succeed Lord Gwyn. In DaS3 the goal is to defeat the Lords of Cinder to save the world. In BB you know fuck all for a long time unless you're used to Souls style of storytelling and it doesn't help that BB's world is so obtuse already. People are STILL arguing about aspects of the Hunter's Dream and the Hunter's Nightmare and a lot of the answers involving the Great Ones boil down to "they're too far above us for us to understand."
>>
>>339763504
Ornstein.
>>
>>339751742
Except the games never had a "fuck you, git gud" attitude. The foundation of the online components of DeS and DaS was to make the game way fucking easier with helpful player messages and the ability to summon phantoms to fight tough areas or bosses FOR you. The only mechanic deliberately designed to make the game more difficult on the player is invasions, which can only occur in the specific circumstance that the player is human, which a new player obviously isn't going to be for a majority of the game unless they're summoning often, in which case they already have a fucking ganksquad ready to fend off invaders quickly.

The games have a core single-player experience that can be quite difficult but literally do everything in their power to alleviate that difficulty by giving the player intuitive in-game options if they're playing online. So I've never really understood the playerbase's attitude that the Souls games are somehow stern and unforgiving when a majority of the online mechanics are fundamentally and actively helpful to new players. This idea that the Souls games are refreshing for their oppressive difficulty is a total fucking farce and overlooks so much other shit that makes the games fun.
>>
>>339759682
I've said a million and 2 times but the primary reason 2 comes off as stupid is because it forgets its only plot within the first 10 minutes of playing. The game starts and you're jumping down the spooky hole because you're hollowing and Drangleic may have the answers. 10 minutes later you're off to find the King and your hollowing isn't fucking addressed again. And when you finally do find the King he's already hollowed and can't tell you shit about the primary reason you're there in the first place. And you'll never get your answers until you get all the fucking DLC. But you did get to sit in an oven chair to end a feud that had nothing to do with you.
>>
>>339758758
What?
>>
>>339760921
Isn't the entirety of Smouldering Lake optional?
>>
File: this makes me angry.jpg (106 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
this makes me angry.jpg
106 KB, 1024x576
>>339764574
I think when people say Dark Souls is hard they're saying that Dark Souls doesn't hold your hand. Which in that sense its true because when you're told that the first bell is up above in a church the game doesn't give you a waypoint marker to constantly point the way to the bell, it just assumes you're not retarded and lets you explore as you please even though the only set of stairs leading up is in an obvious location. Which raises the questions of whether Souls is difficult or if most gamers are retarded or if it's just modern games being so cripplingly easy that it's just what everyone is used to
>>
>>339764574
There's a stark contrast between the overall design and attitude of Des/Ds1 and everything after them and if you don't see that you're dumb
>>
How does one get good at this game PvP wise?
I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing most of the time I play against other players.
>>
>>339758578
New Londo was well designed fuck you
>>
>>339765171
Actually you're right, it is.
>>
>>339765283
But DeS and DaS are easier than DaS2 and a good portion of DaS3.

BB is also the easiest game of all five, but funnily enough it's actually the best one. It's weird, it's almost like the difficulty isn't the only metric by which to judge the quality of a Souls game. It might not even be a particularly important metric.
>>
Anyone recommend a good PvP Strength or Pyromancy build? Something that can handle a gank squad preferably. Looking to respec my SL120 Knight, thinking of running the Fume UGS or Profaned GS. Need the stat breakdown because I'm a retard.

>>339758215

What weapon?
>>
>>339765728
DaS2 is harder for stupider reasons i.e. mobs aggroing in chunks so you're forced into engagements with multiple enemies.
>>
>>339765371
You predict what they are going to do.

Or you bait people into acting in a predictable way that you can counter.

So if someone is using a rolling move and does a quick stab right after multiple times, you can now predictably parry this guy after he rolls.

Or you could be the guy spamming rolling attacks, and since you know that your opponent will try to parry you on your next roll, you instead do a roll and perform an unparryable attack instead.

And so on and so forth.

The other thing is memorizing the hitboxes on weapons, the moves, which moves have hyper armor, and which moves combo into other moves.
>>
>>339751742
DeS really isn't very hard, though
>>
File: Here's your (You) faggot.jpg (80 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
Here's your (You) faggot.jpg
80 KB, 600x324
>>339751742
DS2 was harder due to shittier everything.
>>
>>339765283
But Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are both better than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls.
>>
GUYS

What if the Age of Dark fades into a new Age of Ancients? Before you call me retarded, hear me out:

In the intro to DaS1, the narrator states that "then, there was fire, and WITH IT, CAME DISPARITY." Disparity didn't birth fire, fire birthed the concept of disparity. The distinction between life/death, heat/cold, and light/dark DIE when the Flame dies. As the flame fades, one by one they start fading as well.

The plague of Undeath is the result of the distinction between life and death disappearing, starting with Humanity. The "time is convoluted" deal is a result of the distinction between past/present fading away, and the converging lands of DaS3 is a result of the distinction between two different points in space fading as well. Light and Dark is the last distinction of all to fade. The Flame fades, and Darkness overtakes the world when it grows too weak to hold the Dark back -- the Age of Dark aka a World Without Fire aka the endless plane of Darkness that the Firekeeper talks about in the end of DaS3. However, we know that the Flame can still be linked at this point, so it isn't dead yet. When it actually dies, the Darkness fades away, and all is Grey.

The serpents want the Flame to fade so that they can usurp the Dragons as the new dominant primordial creature in a fresh Age of Ancients.

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
>>
>>339751742
Dark Souls 1 was unintentionally hard. It was poorly made and nothing otherwise.
>>
File: 1433725748411.jpg (120 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1433725748411.jpg
120 KB, 500x491
>>339766662
>>
>>339756369
Didn't get that feel from it since I utterly destroyed the guy with the Dragon Slayer.
>>
>>339763504
>>339764473
>Old Old Old Old Old Dragonslayer
pls no
>>
>>339759392
Das1 doesn't.
>>
>>339767432
Yes it does, just not in the way that DaS2 presents it. The whole game revolves around being part of a (potentially) endless chain of fire-linkers, or to reject that duty and walk away.
>>
Dark Souls had good atmosphere and a decent story but yall niggas really overhype it. I understand liking it for the gameplay and having an exclusive, punishing, no normies allowed!!1! gaming experience but the game was intentionally devoid of a story to allow players to make their own lore connections and even the atmosphere becomes monotone after a while.

I'm baffled at how /v/ universally exaggerates the quality of this game. Dark Souls to /v/ is like what Skyrim is to casuals.
>>
>>339767728
I'm sorry but THAT is incorrect, for two reasons. Number one being that the prophecy states that it's the Chosen Undead's duty to Link the Fire. Not all Undead. That's why you had a bunch of Undead who made it out of the Asylum but only one who made it to the Lordvessel. Frampt was so elated that he said "it's you! After a thousand years of searching it's you!" The Chosen Undead prophecy revolved around a single person, not a group. The second reason is the way you open Firelink Shrine's door, you had to actually kill 2 out of 3 previous Lords just to get into the door. This is before DaS2 introduced the concepts of souls recycling, that concept doesn't exist anywhere in 1. Which is exactly why rather than sending people to kill the 4 Kings they were locked up under New Londo. And why everyone was sent to get the Rite of Kindling from Nito, not to kill him.
>>
>>339767791
Story != lore
The story in at least the first game is easy as hell to understand, and I'm talking only listening to the intro movie, and NPCs you are most likely to come across (Oscar, Frampt, Gwynevere). The whole 'vague storytelling' is essentially ALL character/world backstory which is explained through item descriptions and other vaguer stuff.
I wish people would fucking realize this.
>>
>>339768169
And then, 1000 years after YOU link the fire, some other jobber Undead would have to take your place to keep the damn thing lit. That's a cycle, in fact that's how DaS3 presents the cycle as well -- an endless unbroken chain of Undead linking the fire, one after one after one. The one and ONLY thing that DaS2 added to this concept was that the Flame can be linked during an Age of Dark.
>>
>>339768370
This.

>Story
Sally went to the store on her bike to buy bread

>Lore
Sally mom bought her bike with drug money

>Sidestory
Sally stopped by the back alley to do drugs before she went to the store
>>
>>339768370
I shouldn't have replied to who I did, sorry. My point still stands.
>>
File: dejected.gif (2 MB, 265x257) Image search: [Google]
dejected.gif
2 MB, 265x257
>tfw bought ds3 on release, barely played it. Just starting again and getting fucking mauled by Crystal Sage

Man feels bad to be bad.
>>
>>339768638
>having trouble with the Crystal Sage
how? build?
>>
>>339768464
No because it only retroactively became a cycle because of DaS2. There's nothing in DaS1 that says cycle or future Chosen Undead or anything like that via NPCs, item descriptions, or anything. That only became the case because DaS2 introduced the concept of souls being recycled in new lives. There isn't a single example of this in DaS1.

>Age of Dark in DaS2
Jesus Christ what? Did you forget what the Age of Dark looks like as of DaS1? Here's a hint, kill Gwynevere.
>>
>>339751742
But DaS2 was easily the hardest of them all. It actually required you to time your fucking rolls or parrying. Even backstabs and strafing took a lot more skill than in the first one.
>>
>>339768638
>Crystal Sage
>hard
Unless you're getting wombo comboed by Farron Darts and a Soul Spear then you shouldn't have much trouble with him.
>>
File: step 1.png (475 KB, 680x567) Image search: [Google]
step 1.png
475 KB, 680x567
>>339768703

I'm playing a knight with a Great machete, mostly strength and vigor

>>339768823

I'm just bad, got it to like 5% then died and gave up for the night
>>
>>339759708
>Aren't they only like 1/5 of Gwynn, since it takes 5 souls to link the fire now when before it only too 1? That could explain why they're so shit.
Has more to do with the fact that Gwyn's cycles aren't working, and the inevitable that he was trying to prevent is going to happen. It takes more and more power/souls to link the fire, and DaS3 is at the point where you need an insane amount to get a weaker link that probably won't last as long as previous cycles.
>>
>>339768464
>The one and ONLY thing that DaS2 added to this concept was that the Flame can be linked during an Age of Dark.
What? DaS2 didn't take place during an Age of Dark.

>>339768754
>There isn't a single example of this in DaS1.
Because almost everywhere in DaS1 it's implied that this is the first time the fire needed to even be linked. Why would anyone talk about cycles when there hasn't been one yet?
>>
>>339768754
>there's nothing in DaS1 that states that the CU linking the fire wouldn't be permanent
how about basic fucking logic, you idiot. If Gwyn couldn't link the fire permanently with his badass Lord Soul, you don't have a fucking prayer. If you're honestly trying to claim that nobody thought of this before DaS2 came out, you're a lying newfaggot, because people were saying this since day 1 to justify choosing the Dark Lord ending.
>the cycle == reincarnated souls
you are retarded, the cycle is the fading flame being reinvigorated, only to fade again

>the Age of Dark is in DaS1
no you stupid faggot, the Bonfires still work in DaS1, so the fire is clearly still alive, it's just losing power. Plus, DaS2 isn't in an age of dark either, but Straid of Olaphis explicitly states that the flame can be linked after Darkness swallows the world. This is corroborated by the Firekeeper's dialogue in the End of Fire ending in DaS3.

I know that you're going to respond with more incoherent bullshit that shows how little attention you paid to this series' lore, and ignore everything I just typed, so I'm going to stop responding here. You can pretend that you've "won" the argument now.
>>
>>339769313
> No flame, however brilliant, does not one day splutter and fade. But then, from the ashes, the flame reignites, and a new kingdom is born, sporting a new face -- Straid of Olaphis
>>
>>339769742
It doesn't say anywhere that the world has entered the true Age of Dark. The flame just gets weaker, the world becomes darker, and then the flame gets reignited.
>>
>>339769742
Muh nigga.
>>
File: untended graves.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
untended graves.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
>>339769980
>the eyes show me a vast plane of darkness, a world without fire
behold the age of dark. the flame splutters and fades, and it gets too weak to hold the Darkness back. This is the result.
>>
>>339770125
Seemed pretty comfy desu. Especially if you had a waifu to keep you company in the dark.
>>
>>339770012
why was Straid such a dick? it's not very smart to be a complete asshole to your only paying customer
>>
>>339770236
you'd just end up eating her after you turn hollow
>>
>>339770125
>no light
>area still illuminated
>>
>>339751849
SoTFS>PtDE>1>>3>>2

Dark Souls is classic at this point, PtDE added some needed quality content to the second half. Even so the rushed areas really bring the game down, and it probably could have used one more round of DLC to really fill the game out.

SoTFS additions are hands down the best part of the souls series as far as I am concerned. The added content was both huge and well designed.

The base version of 2 was easily the worst out of all of them. Too little content, and bad world design hurt it a lot.

3 is broken, rushed, and panders way too much to Dark Souls 1. What content is original to 3 is great, but almost everything is directly recycled or a recycled concept. NPCs and questlines were handled pretty poorly.
It tossed out a lot of the good things Dark Souls 2 brought in favor of 1, which is unfortunate. When I say rushed I really mean it... poise is not enabled, auto-summon covenants are broken, invading/summoning/message priority is broken, people fall through floors and walls, and Yhorm's area is basically just a hallway among other things.

I suspect the final version of 3 with all the DLC will might be better than all of them, IF they manage to fix their broken game. At the very least it should be better than base Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>339770125
The age of dark is pretty objectively shit, huh?

I don't particularly want to go hollow
>>
>>339770545
Inner light brah. Being embered and shit.
>>
>>339766564
Interesting theory. Aldrich sees an age of deep sea coming though, which seems to be different from Fire and Dark. The ash lake was surrounded by deep water so it could still apply I guess.
>>
>>339770545
there's light in the Chasm of the Abyss in DaS1, too.

Besides
>But 'tis different to what is seen when stripped of vision. In the far distance, I sense the presence of tiny flames
darkness doesn't play by your feeble rules, man

>>339770654
darkness is pretty comfy desu. whenever I'm pulling an all-nighter studying, I like to take a break and walk around campus. The quiet is peaceful and gentle. Darkdiver Grandal knew what he was talking about.

You dont have to worry about going hollow if you've got a purpose. You DO have a purpose, right anon?
>>
>>339770545
That area would have been crazy with only torches and candle light. Having to fight enemies based on red eyes.
>>
>>339770845
deep weapons deal dark damage

deep spells deal dark damage

the Deep houses creatures of the Abyss, who, when summoned, deal dark damage (Miracle: Gnaw).

the Deep is just a metaphor for a World Without Fire, aka the Dark (as distinct from the Abyss). Note that this is in alignment with how deep weapons deal dark+no scaling, while Dark weapons (Abyss/humanity enchantment) deal Dark + Fai scaling. This mirrors how fire/chaos weapons scale, which indicates how the Dark(Deep)/Abyss parallels Fire/Chaos.
>>
>>339770858
This. I'm pretty sure the Deep is, or was at one point, the "true dark", before it got corrupted with monsters and evil.

Apparently it was a peaceful, sacred place
>>
>>339771128
Darkness is just the absence of light. It got "corrupted" by the Abyss in the same sense that fire got "corrupted by Chaos. When you look at it, the Abyss is just like a dark version of Chaos
>both artificially created by people using sorcery to fuck with a Lord Soul
>both are the products of an out-of-control/wild/mutated Lord Soul
>both kill and/or mutate anything they come across
>>
>>339771128
>peaceful
>sacred
except for all of the ravenous hollows, I guess so
>>
>>339753679
AC4 Answer is the best FROM game.
>>
File: Solaire_is_a_bro.jpg (84 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
Solaire_is_a_bro.jpg
84 KB, 500x339
>>339757993
>>Not giving 30 humanity to the pale lady in order to save solaire
Beside he being a broguy whats weapons/itens rewards?
>>
>>339759708
>>339757993
youre waifu is DEAD! D E A D !
>>
>>339771067
That's kind of the point, they are similar but not the same. Chaos is false flame that made demons, and Deep is the abyss corrupted by filth and insects.

I can see it just being a metaphor for the dark at the same time though.
>>
>>339751489
Sen's Fortess is still the hardest and most fun area in any souls game by a large margin.

Shrine of storms is also up there
>>
File: skelektor.jpg (31 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
skelektor.jpg
31 KB, 500x380
>mfw Blight Town first time
>>
>>339752450
>pre-patch Izalith
you're telling me it looked and was designed even shittier? I don't think you can just patch Izalith. The whole area needs to be completely remade from scratch to be good.
>>
>>339753679
Armored Core 2 is better
>>
File: 1464642223581.jpg (69 KB, 572x397) Image search: [Google]
1464642223581.jpg
69 KB, 572x397
>>339768823

mfw still dying
>>
>>339772854
git magic defense
>>
File: dan 5.gif (1 MB, 510x385) Image search: [Google]
dan 5.gif
1 MB, 510x385
>>339773050

literally beat it the attempt after I posted that.

Need a cigarette.
>>
File: 1375914672899.jpg (87 KB, 496x496) Image search: [Google]
1375914672899.jpg
87 KB, 496x496
>>339773225
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.