[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more games use the "timeline continues independently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: pathologic-cd-key.jpg (61 KB, 421x595) Image search: [Google]
pathologic-cd-key.jpg
61 KB, 421x595
Why don't more games use the "timeline continues independently of players actions" storytelling models? Seems like the next logical step in evolution of vidya yet we're still stuck with completely static worlds and armies of darkness that will happily wait for you to do some sidequests
>>
because no one in this industry cares about evolution unless doing so will cost them less money in the long run.
>>
because nobody fucking likes timers
>>
People are pussies who don't like to lose.
>>
>>339731251
because players might miss the handcrafted story moments people put a lot of effort into oh no

Devs just don't trust players. gamedesign is all about railroading and controlling players, if you let them go they get nerveous. People paying designers don't want them to do anything players might miss because of dolabongas.

Sure we might not misss it and might love it ,but not the avarage gamer who is a dribbling retard with iq in single digits
>>
>>339731251
Because then then you're on a timer and a player is more likely to just say fuck it and reload saves or stop playing
>>
File: outdoor_06_ru.jpg (720 KB, 1587x891) Image search: [Google]
outdoor_06_ru.jpg
720 KB, 1587x891
so do you like how it looks? haven't decided yet
>>
>>339734027
Looks great senpai
>>
>>339734027
Fucking hype. The trailer literally gave me chills.
>>
File: pathmap.jpg (113 KB, 1063x746) Image search: [Google]
pathmap.jpg
113 KB, 1063x746
>>339734602
I hope devs go kuhrazy with Polyhedron and Abattoirs
>>
A lot of people hate the idea of missing out on anything, and will also only ever play something through once unless it really resonates with them.

People who play video games still aren't really used to the medium making them feel anything other than 'entertained,' emotions like tension and hopelessness and trying to salvage the best of an impossible situation either don't come very often or come in bite-sized games like rogue-likes.

tl;dr vidja games are still afraid of making players feel bad

Looking forward to the remake though holy shit. Can't wait to see what they do with the stretch goals.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.