[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's really quite something. It's been 18 years since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: tumblr_lpa7dpCKvf1qzozwgo1_400.png (41 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpa7dpCKvf1qzozwgo1_400.png
41 KB, 320x240
It's really quite something. It's been 18 years since Xenogears came out, and this is STILL the ridiculous thing I've ever seen in a jrpg ever. It's an achievement, honestly. Especially since it clearly wasn't meant to be laughed at and is otherwise a very serious scene.
>>
the most ridiculous*
>>
>>339730008
Is that mascot character supposed to be crucified? Also doesn't Japan toss crosses around to try and half ass a deep meaning because they don't fully understand Christianity.
>>
Oh its dumb as fuck for sure. But that's disc 2 content, and most fans and critics recognise it as very rushed and lacking in content.

You're totally right though. Sucks when you consider that scene was supposed to be animated too.
>>
>>339730187
>Is that mascot character supposed to be crucified?

They all are. The fact that one of them is a pink mouse thing is what makes it so hilarious.

>Also doesn't Japan toss crosses around to try and half ass a deep meaning because they don't fully understand Christianity.

In this case Takahashi did in fact understand the context of crucifiction and is using it correctly, but maybe he should've left Chu-Chu out of the scene.
>>
You go to video game making with the budget you have, not the budget you wish you had.
>>
>>339730187
Yeah. Its very much Eva End in the last few hours. But Chu-Chu is fucking retarded and should be ignored. Feels too much like Cait-Sith.

I have no idea what the 90s to early 2000s obsession with Christianity was in Nipland. Likely had something to do with most of the artists and writers having been raised in convert families but fukt if I know.
>>
>>339730459

In Takahashi's case he had been reading about Gnosticism since he was a child, so he's one of the few Japanese creators that actually knew what the fuck he was talking about when using it in his work.

Though he did name all the towns in XG after months in the Hebrew calendar for literally no reason.
>>
>>339730008
I tried getting into this game because I'm a Evangelion fan but I got really bored and didn't even complete disc 1. It just didn't seemed like the dialog was very tedious to read and there wasn't anything interesting going on with the story except for that sweet evil mecha that pops up sometimes and wrecks everyones shit.

Does it get better later on? I heard disc 2 was very rushed.
>>
>>339730386
They had the budget. It was cut for FF8. It's a similar story to Dragon's Dogma where they lost a good chunk of it to RE6.
>>
>>339730712

The influences in terms of mecha stuff is a lot more from G Gundam than Eva. The Eva stuff is purely because Takahashi has the same interests as Anno.
>>
>>339730712
Disc 2 is ridiculously rushed. It has practically no dungeons and the end is a boss rush with thirty minutes of dialogue in between. I got into it for the unique combat for the time and came to love it for the surprisingly not completely ham-fisted plot.
>>
>>339730719

It wasn't just budget taken away, they also had to make the game on a really strict deadline.

Keep in mind that Xenogears was originally going to be Final Fantasy VII, but Squaresoft thought the themes and content was considered too dark for a FF game so they just told Takahashi to make it anyway, but under a different title.
>>
>>339730824
Interdasting. Do you happen to have proof or are you just positing because the designs are so Gundam esque?
>>
>>339731141

He has said many times that G Gundam was one of the most important mech anime of the last couple decades.

Grahf, while having the backstory of Darth Vader, is very clearly Master Asia.

The very end (when they go back to the party) is explicitly G's ending.

Not to mention the combination of mechs and wuxia.
>>
>>339731095
Thanks for correcting me. I thought it was 8 but it doesn't really matter. It would've been a very different world for Squeenix and RPGs as a whole had it been FFVII proper. Likely not as popular, but god with a real budget Xenogears could've been the great leap forward instead of a niche, semi-hip game.
>>
>>339731378

No you were right, it was 8 that took he budget. XG took a while to make, it didn't come out until after VII.
>>
>>339731314
Never seen it. Don't really like Gundam as I never liked mechs that are basically just big people with metal bodies instead of walking or flying tanks. Xenogears is special.

Is it good, at least?
>>
>>339731314
>Grahf, while having the backstory of Darth Vader
The wierd thing is he got the backstory of Vader BEFORE the prequels ever came out and told us that Anakin became Vader due to losing his loved ones.
>>
>>339731606

G isn't like any other Gundam in that it's a martial arts tournament and the mechs are designed as extensions of their body for the purpose of making their fights bigger and more destructive. Hence why every pilot is a martial artist that uses their mech to refine secret techniques and fight for the glory of their country. It has more in common with Street Fighter than most Gundam shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx4DLgXDvxg
>>
>>339730824
>G Gundam
I guess I can kinda see that. Imagery like op's pic look straight out of EoE, though.

>>339731001
Ah, well. I'm quite a few hours in already, so I guess I may as well finish it now, if just to see where the plot goes.

Xenosaga and Xenoblade are by the same guy too, right? are they good?
>>
>>339731898
Also, hilarious national stereotypes. Japan's Gundam is based on a shinto war god, Mexico's has a sombrero and is called Tequila Gundam, Canada's is a lumberjack, Britan's is one of those guards with the big hat, France is a musketeer, America is a boxer-sufer-cowboy-football player, etc. And yet none of them are meant as an insult, it's all supposed to be a passionate showing of national identity.
>>
>>339731898
Well shit no wonder you'd draw those conclusions. Makes far more sense than Eva but like the other anon said that end scene to a lot of people is gonna scream End of Eva.
>>
>>339732368
As a Canadian I find this amazing. Also why does it not have a beaver tail or moose head?
>>
Oh wait shit no i've seen G gundam nevermind fuck that oh god the latex.
>>
>>339733026

Who knows. Honestly Canada is one of the few episodic fights of the week whose character has more development and shows up in later episodes.

RIP Andrew Graham, you wonder Canuck
>>
File: windmill gundam.png (241 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
windmill gundam.png
241 KB, 576x432
>>339732368
>that fucking Holland windmill gundam
>>
>>339733446
>he got into the finals by pretending he was a regular windmill and simply never fighting at all
>the only disqualification is that you never lose a fight, it never says you can't avoid fights at all
Sure he loses in the first round of the finals, but still. That sneaky bastard.
>>
File: fu.png (336 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
fu.png
336 KB, 720x540
If you don't think Fuunsaiki is the tightest shit then get out.
>>
File: ultra.jpg (144 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
ultra.jpg
144 KB, 500x330
>>339730008
It's because you don't get the reference
>>
>>339733809
Just because Ultraman did it doesn't mean Chu-Chu being there is any less dumb.
>>
>>339733952
> Chu-Chu being there
Did you expect her to just disappear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3mVdNJOc4
>>
>>339734185

Keep in mind this is the second really serious scene that is rendered dumb by Chu-Chu being there. The first being the disk 1 fight everyone remembers.
>>
>>339733446
Jesus fucking Christ that's gold.
>>339733564
THAT'S EVEN BETTER
>>
>>339734463

No one is prepared for the Nether Gundam fleet, hidden in plain sight,
>>
>>339734373
>rendered dumb
It was dumb before chu-chu showed up, this whole scene was just an extended ultraman reference from the start. You just have a problem with a pink firby being a party member is all.
>>
>>339734761
>You just have a problem with a pink firby being a party member is all.

Doesn't everyone?
>>
File: best girls.jpg (496 KB, 1049x1000) Image search: [Google]
best girls.jpg
496 KB, 1049x1000
>>339734942
Only the people who really want the game to be something it's not.
>>
>>339735158

But Chu-Chu contributes nothing to the plot. It's just...there. Even fucking Jar-Jar at least accomplished shit in TPM.
>>
>>339734680
Okay, does shit like this happen often? Because this is fucking amazing. Its retarded but good god is it good.
>>
>>339735262

Not all the time. It depends on the episode.
>>
>tfw japan's take on christianity is more interesting than christianity itself
>>
>>339735253
>But Chu-Chu contributes nothing to the plot
Oh so you mean just like Rico and Maria then.
>>
>>339735482

Yeah pretty much. As far as the game is concerned with party members, only Fei, Elly, Citan, Bart, and Billy matter.
>>
>>339734185
I wanna make a logical point because nobody else seems to be able to remember this.

ChuChu can resize herself, from normal, to mech height.

So unless ChuChu is bolted to the cross by her palms, she could just size down and walk away.
>>
File: 1459550830829.webm (3 MB, 540x406) Image search: [Google]
1459550830829.webm
3 MB, 540x406
>>339735579
>ChuChu can resize herself, from normal, to mech height.
Well so can the ultra brothers and they're just chained up there.
>>
>>339736093
I'm not talking about Ultraman, I'm talking about in terms of this game.
I think they just forgot.

I think the scene would have been better if it was just the Omnigears "I think you had the Omni Gears at this point?" and Fei.
>>
File: antman 7.webm (1 MB, 480x362) Image search: [Google]
antman 7.webm
1 MB, 480x362
>>339736810
>I'm not talking about Ultraman, I'm talking about in terms of this game.
>I think they just forgot.
The scene is already clearly a reference to ultraman and the ultra brothers also have this same ability yet they never shrunk down in size to free themselves either. I don't think it's much of a stretch to suggest the fact she doesn't shrink to free herself is an intentional nod.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.