[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question, why do people enjoy watching other people play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Serious question, why do people enjoy watching other people play games, like on twitch? Surely you'd rather play the game yourself?
>>
>>339725465
1.Can't buy game for reasons
2. Loners who crave for some kind of human interaction
3. fanbase of the performer (e celeb)
4. cheap thrills/ entertainment/ tits
>>
Because it's fun to watch someone fail at a game that I have already beaten, it gives me a false sense of superiority
>>
comfy background noise
>>
>>339725465

I only watch better players to learn more about the characters they play. For example Smash or Overwatch and the sort.

Watching as for entertainment is retarded thou
>>
>>339725465
lazy shitters that aren't bothered by other retards
>>
>>339725465
retards who like the idea of games and the current culture around it instead of actually playing them; the exception being AAA titles marketed to death.
>>
>>339725465

Because I'm a loner, And having someone talk in the background as well as the twitch chat there helps distract me from my crippling loneliness.
>>
File: e24.png (2 MB, 1856x965) Image search: [Google]
e24.png
2 MB, 1856x965
>>339725465
For pure EPICNESS like this!
>>
Never watched anything on twitch, but from time to time will watch vids on YouTube of someone playing a game better than I do.

Such as watching a Doom speedrun or something of the like.

But yeah. Watching someone stream a game, or regularly watching someone play games is pretty dumb, mostly a millennial and numale thing I'd reckon.
>>
>>339728584
>not making your bg noise the Loveline and O&A archive, Savage Nation, and not an argument
>>
Serious question, why do people enjoy watching other people play sports, like on TV? Surely you'd rather play the sport yourself?
>>
>>339729520
people who enjoy watching niggers throw balls around are just as bad. but yes, people who enjoy watching others play games are about as dull and stupid as sports fans.
>>
>>339728749
>Full fucking party
>only winning by 2
Are you fucking serious? How do you round up a collection of people so awful
>>
>>339725465
>Serious question, why do people enjoy watching other people play games, like on twitch? Surely you'd rather play the game yourself?
because i'm a poorfag and sometimes i feel lonely playing video games though sometimes i prefer playing them than watching it but usually i'm forced to watch them
>>
I sometimes watch really good players on twitch for a bit as you may pick up some tips, but I don't see the appeal of watching people who aren't very good
>>
File: 14483868893801.jpg (36 KB, 418x488) Image search: [Google]
14483868893801.jpg
36 KB, 418x488
The only LPer I watch is Northernlion, because he's a funny guy. Got a problem with that, bud?
>>
>>339729520

Dumb argument.

People who watch sport on TV are watching a huge, massive million dollar production, With tons of effort go into drafting players, training, and all of that.

Watching a video game tournament would be the equivalent. I have nothing against that

Do people watch random guys post up a camera of them playing Soccer in their back yard and put that on TV? No. That would be more equivalent to watching a random dude sit on his ass and play games.
>>
>>339725465
Thanks for reminding me to watch 2BFP DOOM
>>
>>339725465
My friends watch it because they're workaholics and would rather use their time for studying further, so they put on a twitch stream which is free and allows them to multitask
>>
>>339729917
1960 episodes of binding of isaac
>>
Why do you enjoy shit posting about video games instead of playing them?
>>
>>339729917
More like he's a beta faggot lmao
>>
>>339727019
>smash
>video games as anything but entertainment
>that sentence structure
>>
>>339730159
>about video games instead
>about video game
>video games
>streaming=video games
LOL
>>
Who else /Sing_Sing/ master race?

also I like Jacky Mao aka EternalEnVy who I look up to a lot.
>>
>>339726139
very nice
well posted
>>
File: bethesdababby_sensibilities.png (65 KB, 768x603) Image search: [Google]
bethesdababby_sensibilities.png
65 KB, 768x603
>>339730147
He does other stuff.
>>
>>339729520
Because the people televised on TV are the best of the best athletes, that put their entire body to work for years and years just to make it to that level and get paid millions of dollars for it. They are games that take your entire body into account (even golf), and as such it's more entertaining to watch someone who has dedicated themselves fully to their sport.

E-sport nerds literally either move their thumb and press buttons (console) or move their arm and press buttons (pc).

>inb4 'but poker is shown on tv', and nobody watches it. it's only there because the company's pay espn to show it.
>>
>the current year
>people still don't understand friend simulators
wew
>>
>Surely you'd rather play the game yourself?

Nah, not really.
I like watching people play shitty games just to see how shitty they are, I don't want to pay for that and often other people's reactions are the only good thing about the game.

That, or it's something like minecraft where everyone has their own projects and you can gleam some inspiration or technical knowhow from watching.

Or shit like pannenkoek that's too autistic for normal people to do but interesting to watch none the less.
>>
I enjoy watching people that are better than me at complex games, or specific challenges like Two Hours of Hell
>>
>>339725465
If I don't want to pay for a walking simulator but want the experience anyway.

If it's something I don't have any skill for myself but I enjoy watching skilled people doing it.

If I want to see what strategies they use to play the game differently from how I do.

If it's late at night and I need something to help me to get to sleep.
>>
>>339725465
For the same reasons why games like Super Mario Bros were popular with families and friends.
You got to play one at a time with that game, usually two or more people would take turns between Mario and Luigi, each attempting to complete the current stage.

Video games all used to be really fun for the idle viewer just as much as the player. Nowadays most games are boring as fuck to watch because it's 90% lame cutscenes and relatively awkward perspectives. First person and those up close third person views for that "cinematic experience" are pretty jarring for people who aren't in control of the camera. Shooters really aren't enjoyable to watch passively, but RTS games and Fighters with the ease of seeing everything going on are, hence why they're the two that have actually viewships in the competitive scenes.

Watching other people play the game is enjoyable to see their display of skill or to see them fucking around. Watching other people play games these days is enjoyable because either:
You get to see someone acting silly while playing something you really couldn't care to buy yourself. Such as all that indie/horror game shit that made some Youtubers super popular.
Or
You get to see someone playing something actually good in an age of endless marketing hype and incompetent games journalists, giving you a real look at the game which you may then go and get for yourself.
Or
You get to see highly skilled gamers playing the game at a near optimal levels, showing off what can really be done, again incentivizing you to try the game out yourself.
>>
You ever see random people playing basketball, or some other sport, and watch for a minute? Same shit.
>>
>>339729520

I don't. And people who idolize athletes or videogame players are true idiots.

Individual sports or activities like rock-climbing or hiking are far more respectable.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.