[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>make billions on being the cheaper, more powerful equivalent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: xbone.jpg (17 KB, 646x359) Image search: [Google]
xbone.jpg
17 KB, 646x359
>make billions on being the cheaper, more powerful equivalent of playstation
>release a costlier, less powerful console
>buy a lot of franchises and exclusives
>every team you bought gets closed, no one wants to make exclusives for you anymore

what went wrong /v/?
>>
several painful missteps beginning with the announcement and from making an apples to apples inferior machine that cost more money

from there things just steamrolled
>>
It's a console, nobody buys them for their processing power. It being less powerful than the PS4 is not why it sold less. If the Xbone had better exclusives and/or was priced better at launch without the Kinect, it would sell better than the PS4. Especially since Microsoft prioritizes framerate over resolution on most of their exclusives, so playing games is a better experience on the Xbone for most people. At least I personally would take 900p 60fps over 1080p 30fps.
>>
>>339701679

Want to know what seriously went wrong? They went first.

Sony were planning to restrict second hand sales using RFID chips and they were also planning on bundling the PlayStation Eye with every PS4. After the backlash against Microsoft they very quickly silently removed all that stuff and capitalized on the situation.
>>
The only thing that went wrong was charging 100 dollars more for weaker hardware

That's it
>>
Can the Xbox One make a comeback? It's $50 cheaper than a PS4 now, all they need is games. And they could easily take an edge over Sony if they removed the Xbox Live requirement and made GwG it's own, optional thing like PS+ was before the PS4. Because I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap between the target demographics of console gamers and PC gamers, Microsoft putting most of their games on PC as well doesn't seem like a bad thing either, the Xbox One will still have those games as console exclusives which would convince some people to get the Xbox One over the PS4.
>>
>>339701995
>At least I personally would take 900p 60fps over 1080p 30f
except you won't get nowhere near such performance with the xbox
if a game runs on 1080 p and 30 fps on ps4 it will run 900p and 30 fps on xbone to begin with
>>
>>339701679
E3 announcement
>>
>>339702345
Makes take time and money to make, money that microsoft doesn't seem to want to spend.

They're focussing a lot on Windows right now.
>>
>>339703172
*Games
>>
>>339701679
>what went wrong
mandatory Kinect, mandatory internet connection, and scare tactics against used games
its no surprise it became known early on as the NSABox
also>>339703118
but Sony's dig at MS will go down in history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
>>
>>339703023
But the ps4 won't play anything in the foreseeable future @ 1080 without dropping frames constantly anyways.
>>
>>339703738
Doesn't change the fact that xbone has worse graphical quality than the PS4 in many games. Even casuals avoid the xbone because of this
>>
>>339703847
And? Who cares? If you want to play games for "graphical fidelity", play PC. Simple as that.
>>
>>339702345
It could, sony did it with the ps3 against the 360. But they most certainly won't put the effort, as videogames are much more important financially and as a brand for Sony than for microsoft. These days microsoft doesn't give a shit about anything and most of their products are in decline, if they're gonna put an effort it's not gonna be in videogames.
>>
>>339703738
there are games on Xbone that can't play @900 without dropping frames anyway, i'd say the PS4 is the lesser evil in this.
>>
Like you said, they fucked up.

They watched everything the PS2 did right and the Xbox did wrong in 2001, corrected it for the 360 in 2005, and then completely fucking ignored it again in 2013.

I don't think they can recover, although they do seem to be trying to consciously kill console gaming by making Windows more gaming-accessible.
>>
>>339701679
Not sure what happened to Microsoft's game division after the original Xbox. It was a beast of a console and had a nice variety of games. I think they were really onto something good.

After the 360 came out things just gradually declined for them. Not sure how they're going to bounce back now.
>>
>>339701679
they fucked up with that timed exclusive Cod Bo3 DLC, that's like hot buns for the normies
same for the shitstorm with the forced kinect + always online
>>
>>339705754

This never mattered

All normies saw was a slightly more powerful system for 100 bucks less

They eat up paid online after all that shit goes over their head
>>
>>339704269
Casuals care, just ask them if you have any friends or acquaintances in real life
>>
>>339704269

Yea I'm sure 15 year old billy will whip out a pc Manual and find compatible parts when the xbone/ps4 commercial is blasting bullshots and multiplats like cod on their tv.
>>
>>339705889
>All normies saw was a slightly more powerful system for 100 bucks less

Do you really think the people who buy consoles have an informed opinion about which is the objectively more powerful system? They don't have a clue. It doesn't matter if you have the more powerful system, you just need to be able to make people think you have the more powerful system.

Just look at the PS3, objectively inferior to the 360 in terms of raw power and yet there is a million Sony fanboys who will insist it was miles ahead of the 360 and only the PS3 could possibly deliver games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted. There are people who are adamant the DC was more powerful than the PS2 even though in reality it was not even close and it was obviously not even close.

Power matters to some extent, but it's not what sold the PS4. Marketing is what sold the PS4.
>>
>>339701679
That's the Mattrick-Spencer bro team for you
>>
>>339706764

You address one portion of my post and left out the rest

It was 100 bucks less. Besides everyone at the time knew it was more powerful. This type of info spreads just like retards were pretending they knew what GDDR5 was about. We're in the internet age anyways nothing is kept hidden for long.
>>
File: umaru chill.png (215 KB, 447x586) Image search: [Google]
umaru chill.png
215 KB, 447x586
>>339701679
Focusing on the US market in their features at the cost of everywhere else, and going so far as to releasing a year later in many countries
>>
>>339707143
>Besides everyone at the time knew it was more powerful

No, they "knew" it was more powerful. Just like they "knew" it was the better choice. Ask them to explain why it was more powerful and you'd get nothing but blank stares.

Marketing created a meme, a very effective one, and the way they made it so successful was to pretend to be "one of us" and shit on the xbone. And everyone went along with it.

>It was 100 bucks less.

Being insanely overpriced didn't destroy the PS3 nearly as much as it did the xbone. Maybe if Microsoft had capitalized on the "PS3 has no games" stuff the end of last gen would have been very different.
>>
>>339702029
>xfags still believe this
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.