[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started playing Pillars of Eternity. What is the general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: 70969727_80.jpg (687 KB, 1821x1026) Image search: [Google]
70969727_80.jpg
687 KB, 1821x1026
Just started playing Pillars of Eternity. What is the general /v/'s opinion about it?
>>
I thought it was pretty mediocre. There wasn't really any player choice and the storyline was shitty. I just wanted to roleplay a paladin but instead I was shoehorned into being some psyker that can see ghosts and read minds.

Also the character building and combat systems were fucking shit.
>>
File: 1425422988952.jpg (776 KB, 1920x1620) Image search: [Google]
1425422988952.jpg
776 KB, 1920x1620
The story and setting is very dull and safe.
The character building is lacking and the spells are uninterresting.
To me, the combat was ok and it held my attention for 30+ hours, but in the end the lack of
fun builds made me give up

The reputation system is the one thing about the game thats a breath of fresh air. It was fun as fuck to me recognized for being a liar/mary-sue

The music and pre-rendered backgrounds are fucking beautiful and makes you wish they were used in a more interesting game

Honestly i had expected a more interesting story/setting from obsidian
>>
It' shit. It only looks good on paper, but it all falls apart during the game. From the story and writing to the models and the backgrounds. Even the music that everyone spergs about was boring and mediocre.
>>
You should have asked before you started playing.

I hope you didn't pay money for it senpai, I still regret it.
>>
>>339701958
it cant be that bad. i was thinking of buying it once summer sale start.
>>
>>339702186
How about you pirate it and see for yourself.
>>
It should be titled Pillars of Mediocrity and if you still can - ask for refund.
In theory, it should be a great game. In reality it's a hodge-podge of elements from classic cRPGs, but combined together with really crude stiches and zero finess. The world is boring, the story is boring and cliche, the NPCs are soulless and the game just drags from nowhere to nowhere.

It's not even that the game didn't live up to own hype, that wouldn't be an issue. It's how it's genuinely unable to reach even the most basic and realistic goals.
There is also the case of support. Remember Wasteland 2, which was released roughtly at the same time? Over next year, it was steadily improved, fixed, patched, expanded and then after another year it was reworked entirely into Director's Cut version, which is an improvement in every direction, showing genuine care and response to complain from the guys behind the game.
PoE has none of this.

It's not worth time nor money.
>>
>>339702186
Just don't expect the same immersion Baldur's Gate has though
>>
>>339699761
It has one of the most boring and uninteresting stories I've experienced in a video game outside of something like Tom Clancy games and the writing for the characters vary to extreme degrees no I'm not referring to the backer NPCs.

I really wanted to love it, but while it has some huge potential, it doesn't live up to it in any way.
>>
Best CRPG since Mask of the Betrayer in my opinion. Underrail and Shadowrun: Dragonfall are up there as well.
>>
>>339702364
never played Baldur's Gate.
>>
Ok anons, OP here. I am shocked by opinions here, because I play it now with jaw hitting the ground. This game has nearly everything good from Baldur's Gate and introduced many nice concepts.
>>
>>339702186
>it cant be that bad
Define "that bad". Because the game is really subpar. I won't call it bad only because it's working and is more-or-less playable, but the gameplay IS awful.
>>
>>339702454
Then you would be much better off playing that instead.
>>
>>339702454
If this is your first game like this you might actually enjoy it more than people who played games like Baldur's Gate first.
>>
>>339701825
Obsidian being good at story is a meme
>>
>>339702462
Congratulations, you're not a jaded contrarian. Prepare to be told you should feel bad for liking this game, the hatred for this game on here is astounding.
>>
>>339702550
Nah, they do make some really good stories, but this one was a huge miss.
>>
>>339702439
>Unironically calling Shadowrun: Dragonfall one of the best RPGs ever made
>Literally Railroading: The Game

>>339702454
Then you have nothing to look for in PoT, it's that simple. The only reason you would want to play it in the first place is nostalgia toward BG and search for modern replacement.
PoT is not one
>>
>>339699761

Story is pretty generic and nothing really special and the game is full of Golden named kickstarter stories that are pretty bad and 70% the 'rare' Godlikes. BUt ignore people who say its the worst CRPG ever its worth playing if you get it on sale or just want something average to play. Id say its a 7/10 maybe
>>
>>339702360
Wasteland 2 is fucking garbage, fuck right off.
>>
File: 1439951343441.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1439951343441.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>339702462
>>339702576
I especially like the part about jaded contrarians.
Either you are jaded or contrarian. You can't be both toward the same product.
>>
>>339702649
>I've only played it for first 15 minutes right after initial release in '14
You should definitely try DC version.
>>
>>339702462
I loved it too. At first.
I just felt it failed to hold my attention as well as BG did.
Also the kickstarter gold characters were trash.
>>
>>339702478
Yeah, I can second this

I actually stopped playing halfway through simply because it was failing to engage me in any meaningful way.

The problem is, the writing is bad.
The combat is just kind of 'there'.

Baldur's Gate and Planescape got by on more than combat mechanics - and quite frankly their combat mechanics weren't all that good either. What really sold those two games though, was the writing and the story. This is what Pillars of Eternity lacks, and it is the reason why I lost interest in it.

What didn't help are all the little nuggets of "we're so progressive" virtue signalling littered throughout the setting.
>>
>>339702636
>BUt ignore people who say its the worst CRPG ever
Nobody said that ever. The general consensus is how the game is simply lacking in every department possible, but that doesn't render it unplayable or outright bad. Just heavily underpolished, while being clearly overhyped (well, at least it was, it's one of those games to cease to be revelant two weeks after release)
>>
Boring story, bland characters, decent combat.
That character that Chris Avellone wrote was pretty interesting but I was bored enough by the time I reached her that reading her dialogue was the last thing I did before realising it wasn't getting any better.

Also the game kept making it feel like there was some huge twist coming that changed everything. Was there? What was it?
>>
>>339702878
Plenty of people have said it newfag, one post in this thread says it has the worst story in gaming. The hatred hyperbole and constant need to one up each other over how much they hate it is pathetic.

Also Baldurs Gate 2 is overhyped and mediocre as all fuck.
>>
File: 2015-09-18_00002.jpg (370 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-18_00002.jpg
370 KB, 2560x1440
>>339702550
Perhaps. I had just hoped they could deliver something other than a borefest of a story

You can hate Kreia in KOTOR 2 how much you want, but she carried that game
>>
>>339703057
>one post in this thread says it has the worst story in gaming
Literally no one said that, your reading comprehension is lacking.
>>
>>339703168
>>339702421
And yours is nonexistent.
>>
File: Even the cup is judging you.jpg (62 KB, 640x736) Image search: [Google]
Even the cup is judging you.jpg
62 KB, 640x736
>>339703057
>Look at me, look at me, give me your attention!
>>
File: 1454164030375.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454164030375.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>339703251
>one post in this thread says it has the worst story in gaming
The actual post
>It has one of the most boring and uninteresting stories I've experienced in a video game
The irony is really strong in here
>>
>>339703251
That is my post and I said it has ONE OF the most BORING AND UNINTERESTING stories, that doesn't mean the worst story ever. You should really try to improve your reading comprehension by a lot.
>>
>>339703375
rekt
>>
File: 1464835141115.jpg (19 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1464835141115.jpg
19 KB, 600x375
>all these subhuman codexniggers
>>
>>339704538
>Muh RPGcodex boogeyman
>>
>>339704538
Yes, because only RPGcodex was disappointed with this game and not just about everyone.
>>
>>339706336
False, only here and RPGCodex is the game hated. It was a financial and critical success.
>>
>>339706505
>It sold
>So it's good
2016, ladies and gents.

Please tell me how selling less than a million copies, including TWO FUCKING SALES when it was for a fucking dollar within 16 months is a success.
Coincidently, 2/5 of all sales happend during those two windows where the game was for a dime.
>>
>>339706883
I never implied that because it sold that makes it good, I was refuting your contention that everyone was disappointed by it.
>>
>>339707129
And it proves your point how exactly?
By proving there is a bunch of people who felt disappointed about this game? How about YOU leave your safety bubble and check out the reactions of people all over the net, where most of them boils down to "Meh"
>>
>>339707261
I'm on /v/ all the time where all I ever see is constant negativity about this game, any time you want to make a thread about it or suggest that mayne its not the worst game in the world you are instantly put down. So no, I'm not the one living in a safe space when it comes to the opinion over PoE.
>>
>>339706336
>not just about everyone.

You're wrong, actually. It's lauded on most other sites.

and was lauded here until it became mega-popular. I swear, this place has been taken over by faggots who actually believe that /v/ is just being contrarian.
>>
Everyone liked it until it was revealed that Chris Avellone didn't work on its story
Then /v/ started hating it

Same thing will happen with the torment game, very few people actually know that avellone isn't writing the story
>>
File: orc.png (107 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
orc.png
107 KB, 600x405
>>339707502
>Entire thead dedicated to point how how this game is neither good nor bad, just mediocre
>HURR WHY /V/ TALKS SHIT ABOUT THIS GAME DURR
>>
>>339707502
>>339707880
>>339708615
hey reddit
>>
>>339708778
Hey neo-/v/
>>
>>339699761

Okay game ruined by SJWism.
>>
>>339707880
>this place has been taken over by faggots who actually believe that /v/ is just being contrarian.
As opposed to valvedrones and obsidiots who will praise shitty companies even if they made shitty decisions?

Pillars was mediocre to the bone
>>
I didn't really like it.
>>
How's whitemarch?

I'm act 3 and level 9 and I'm getting bored because all the fights are too easy now, I just wreck shit on my 2hander rogue
>>
>>339699761
a direct drop in enjoyment, pretty much kicks in when you get to Defiance bay, and keeps going down.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.