[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With June beginning that means July is coming, and you know what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: fast the chinchilla.png (373 KB, 922x522) Image search: [Google]
fast the chinchilla.png
373 KB, 922x522
With June beginning that means July is coming, and you know what that means.

Sonic. Sega's been planning something big for this fucker's anniversary, and the sonic Facebook/Twitter's been really pushing it.

Any hopes for Sonic's possible return to glory?

I want to protect this smile
>>
>return to glory
Remember when people said it would be Colors?
Remember when people said it would be Generations?
>>
>>339698975
well yeah but those weren't as hyped or hinted at. I feel like maybe SEGA's been gearin' up for the big one.

They have to be up to something.

Right? R-Right?
>>
What glory? He was fighting for survival by the end of the 90s

He then had a small comeback before no clipping through the ground and falling through the water into the pit of dev hell

Sonic games are horrible because Sonic's concept is flawed. Sonic Unleashed was half terrible because they spent most of their time and resources on only half the game.
>>
>>339698975

Colors and Generations were a return to glory, but Sonic 4 fucked it up and Sonic is back to horrible.

>tfw literally all we need is Generations 2
>>
>>339698881
I'm actually looking more forward to the actions of an autistic, maniacal manchild than I am the next sonic game
>>
>>339698881
>With June beginning that means July is coming, and you know what that means.

Julius Caesar was so alpha he made up a month for himself?
>>
>>339699634
but Generations came out after Sonic 4
>>
>>339698975
Generations was a very well made sonic game. The best Sonic game in a very, very, VERY long time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw

Sonic autists get really upset about this video

"They aren't playing it right"

Said every Sonic fanboy for 25 years
>>
https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/user/2936387_60x60.png?v=1392370068.0

Sonic is no longer the Sega Mascot
>>
>>339700549
who the fuck are these youtube cancers? Can you sum up the points of video without me having to watch these dudes?
>>
File: Long_Live_For_His_Empire.png (386 KB, 584x468) Image search: [Google]
Long_Live_For_His_Empire.png
386 KB, 584x468
>>339700549
>17 minutes
Nigga, I don't have the attention span to sit through 17 minutes of nu-male. Just tell us what criticisms they had so we can tell you why they're wrong.
>>
>return to glory even though the series has been fine since 2008

(You)
>>
>>339704195
One of them is the behind Plinket, everyone's favorite 90 year old serial killer movie reviewer

The other is kind of an unknown (well at least to me).

The classic Sonic games want you to go fast but are near unplayable playing them like that. So you have to go slow and careful if you haven't beaten them a bunch of times or played them in years

They review the game without the glasses of nostalgia and level memorization. Like how a normal person would play them

They show completely honest examples of the game either giving the player no time to react. The human average for responding to visual stimuli is 250ms. Because of the game's native 4:3 aspect ratio and the speed, size of the character, and character placement; you only have 250ms to react to enemies and obstacles when Sonic moves at normal speed. This means the game is almost unplayable by design without memorization
>>
>>339698881
I heard they're going to do a Sonic and MLP crossover.

They literally want to kill us all and implode the universe with autism.

Will this cancer ever end?
>>
>>339705430
I'll finish this sentence
"They show completely honest examples of the game either not giving the player any time to react or actually bugging out (they fall through the floor on a standard part of the game) or gameplay elements that are near out of the players control causing the player to fail (Tails triggering a platform making you miss the platform and fall into lava)
>>
>>339705430
Well, they're not wrong. Sonic was designed to be played by memorization, as most games back then were (you know, false difficulty in games without save files, etc). Naka even said himself that the point of Sonic was that it would be played slow on initial playthroughs, as a Mario game would be, and that the speed is a replayability thing. Many Sonic Team games are designed around the core aspect of replayability having its own rewards, like with NiGHTS into Dreams.

In that respect, I guess Sonic's biggest flaw has always been his marketing. The "gotta go fast" mentality does stand in direct contradiction to the gameplay.
>>
>they couldn't be bothered to make dlc for Generations
>the stage picks were awful

I have no hopes
>>
>>339706034
But its not just marketing. The game punishes you for going slow too by making your acceleration annoyingly slow from a dead stop especially when going up hills. It's almost unplayable going fast without complete memorization but the game itself reinforces that you should go fast by making slow players even slower wasting their time.

The gameplay mechanics contradict the level design. Its like they were trying to get the movement speed and acceleration mechanics of the character down during the creation of the levels.
>>
>>339705641
They also fielded the possibility of a Megaman crossover, and other gaming franchises. I'll laugh heartily if Megaman is revived due to Sonic of all things.

>>339706208
Stages were picked by fans in an official poll. The lack of DLC will go down in history as the only time players were begging for more, just to have nothing new added.
>>
File: download.jpg (25 KB, 191x264) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
25 KB, 191x264
>>339706796
>The game punishes you for going slow too by making your acceleration annoyingly slow from a dead stop especially when going up hills
That's why they introduced the spin dash in Sonic 2
>It's almost unplayable going fast without complete memorization
I don't find this to be particularly true either. The game does require some level of memorization, but that memorization normally comes in the form of memorizing patterns as opposed to memorizing level layouts outright. The only game that requires strict level memorization is Sonic CD which is why it's always been so polarizing. Sonic 2 and 3K (and 1 to a lesser extent although that game was just baby steps) have pretty clear tropes and level design patterns so that after a few stages, you have some idea of the pacing, how the level pieces fit together, what kind of areas the badniks will be most likely to show up in, and so on. Thus, it becomes a sort of mixture of memorization, reflex, and prediction, because unlike Sonic Advance 3 for example the level design is not completely random and the enemies aren't just thrown in at complete dickhead points of the level (except Metropolis Zone, fuck that place).

The memorization issue is a real thing though. The Taxman ports fix it by providing 16:9 widescreen, and Sonic CD has a camera that's better suited to seeing what's ahead of you, but it's too little too late. I don't necessarily think it's game-breaking though, it's just one of those things that non-fans like to over-inflate, just like "Sonic's friends" and "boost to win". Never understood the bad camera complaints either, maybe it's just been too long since I played the Adventures.
>>
16:9 would have fixed most of the reaction time issues. It was a very long time before widescreen became standard. I didn't have a widescreen display until the mid to late 2000s. By then Sonic was already 15. You have so little screen space to see what's coming and you have so little time to react to it that anyone newer playing Sonic 1 will run into everything.

Sonic 1 is a frustrating game. I don't mind difficulty if the game gives me a chance. Sonic doesn't and that's because of the flaws in design and it's not intentional. They clearly deal with the flaws but they are still present in the sequels just made less frustrating with band aids
>>
It will be called "Mario & Sonic Plan the Olympic Games"
>>
>>339709776
>anyone newer playing Sonic 1 will run into everything
nah, cos anyone newer playing Sonic 1 will (or should) be playing based Taxman version :^)

Jokes aside, I see what you're getting at though
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.