[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GAME REFUNDS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: spritesgundam2.gif (171 KB, 1317x738) Image search: [Google]
spritesgundam2.gif
171 KB, 1317x738
When I was a kid, if you bought a game that could be pirated, you generally couldn't return it to the store for a refund.

Now, I see plenty of people posting about getting refunds for games from Steam and whatnot these days.

How much are these refunds actually costing these game companies? Has there been a really bad game where like, 10% of players got a refund?

Do you think we will get games with more depth in the future because all the shallow, highly marketed games will get mass-refunded?
>>
>>339697935
as long as the two hour play time thing is there, no.
>>
The system at the minute is good; post two hours you can't refund and owning it for a long as time lessens your chances, too.

However I think for some games two hours maybe doesn't cut it, mostly for some bigger strategy games.
>>
>>339700967
>>339701079
Two hours! That's quite strict. I wasn't aware of that. Makes a lot of sense. Not quite enough time for the buyer's remorse.

I guess shit hasn't changed so much after all.
>>
>>339701179
You would think so, but when you think about it if you play a game for two hours you get a fair idea; talks about mid-game content usually fills trailers and interviews about games then you play yourself to get a feel for it.
In an FPS you know what you're getting in two hours, same with most RPGs and RTS games.

Two hours really only fliesin when you're really enjoying yourself, and if that's the case you probably won't refund.

That said, the system is not strict.
My friend pre-ordered BF: Gothic, then refunded the sale to get something else, refunded that, bought BF: Gothic post-release then refunded it AGAIN after playing for an hour. (He's an indecisive faggot)

However, refunds were fine and quite timely.
>>
File: 1296723000684.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
1296723000684.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1125
>>339701387
Well, that's pretty interesting thanks for the info. I've never actually gotten a refund before but I've certainly bought a few turds in the last couple of years.
>>
>>339701387
Two hours definitely fly if you're just trying to get the game to work.

And what if a game only has a like, three or four hours of content?
GSB2 for example.
>play $20 game
>beat all missions in a few hours, ends up being a trial-and-error snorefest because you (no joke) can't control anything in it but the initial ship deployments
>wait, that's it?
>>
>>339697935
>How much are these refunds actually costing these game companies? Has there been a really bad game where like, 10% of players got a refund?

It's happened to a bunch of "artsy" indie games, if I recall correctly.

I forget its name but there was a walking simulator I think BroTeamPill did a video on with a Sun Tzu book whose studio shut down because they sold very little and had to refund a bunch of them too, I believe.
>>
>>339701179
the two hour was mostly for indie games that can be beaten within that time and then refunded, while it's a valid concern I feel it'd be a lot better if games under 15 bucks were non returnable and then eliminate the two hour play time stipulation
>>
Nah no publishers care about PC gaming. The reason they port the latest console game is so they can afford a nice dinner and if they have to settle for a 10% cheaper dinner just because of refunds it's just meh whatever
>>
There's no way it's actually costing the developers anything. If anyone is losing money over refunds, it's Valve, although that still sounds doubtful to me.
>>
>>339700967
>>339701079
>>339701179
Isn't the point of it being only two hours to give you enough time if you can run the game alright? I know you should look at the required specs before buying the game, but I'd assume some won't.
>>
>>339702198
>enough time if
enough time to see if
>>
>>339702121
It potentially is costing them, as weird as that sounds.

People who refund probably wouldn't have bought the game if they couldn't refund it in the first place, but each sale, even if eventually refunded, is money they potentially could have earned.
>>
>>339702392
No. You're retarded.
>>
>>339703150
Elaborate
>>
>>339697935
I never returned a game, except for some PS2 backups I bought for cheap back in the day and they didn't work properly.

Before purchasing anything, I generally look for information, opinions and if possible, trying the game before purchasing it (that's what rentals were for). This culture of playing the shit out of a product then returnuing it later just because you got tired is ridiculous. Just resell this crap or trade for another game with a friend. Then, later, you regret about returning it and rebuy for double the price on eBay. Genuinely stupid.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.