[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>new phones every year >new TVs every year >new tablets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: console-wars.png (455 KB, 1302x956) Image search: [Google]
console-wars.png
455 KB, 1302x956
>new phones every year
>new TVs every year
>new tablets every year
>new PCs every year
>new cars every year
>new smart home tech every year
>new wearable tech every year

Consoles are the only tech that doesn't get yearly upgrades.
>>
>new PCs every year
b8
>>
>>339694105

>Not having the money to buy a new car every year

I say, it must be dreadful being of the lower class.

If you excuse me, I must order my butler to dust my monocle collection.
>>
http://www.wired.com/2016/05/future-of-game-consoles/?mbid=social_twitter
>>
>>339694105
>Consoles are the only tech that doesn't get yearly upgrades.
...yet.
>>
its not the same. A console comes with shit loads of peripheral pieces of plastic such as controllers and games. when you buy a console it's more of an investment akin to a dvd player

if you have really short console cycles people are going to be left with shit loads of useless plastic laying around the house and they're gonna be pissed off. and somebody who bought a playstation in 2017 is gonna be wondering why they can't play the new uncharted game in 2018

the video game industry is a stupid insular mess and i hope theres a big fuckin crash
>>
>>339695057
>somebody who bought a playstation in 2017 is gonna be wondering why they can't play the new uncharted game in 2018

it's not like the iphone 5 can't play games developed on iphone 6.
>>
>>339694105
I understand the OP is bait because of the dumb line up of shit in there but just going to post this because I see it a lot from people I know.

>New phones/tablets/TVs every year

Yes because the number of people who own all of these things is larger than the number of people who own consoles and these devices capabilities usually remain the same between even a 3 year span.

A cheap phone you got 3 years ago can likely run the same common apps and make the same calls a flagship from this year can. Similarly, a TV from 10 years ago can watch the same episode of House of Cards through an Amazon fire stick instead of an internal wifi card at the same framerate at 1080p instead of 4k.

Same thing with cars and tablets. Meanwhile consoles and PCs have new programs being made every day targeting to take advantage fo the power of new hardware. Sure, you can play FO4 with a 560Ti with an amazing 512MB of vRAM, but everything is going to be on low, you will have to do .ini edits and run at 720p instead of 1080p, with even that resulting in choppy frame rates that make actually accomplishing the goal of shooting an enemy legitimately difficult.

Emerging convenience tech like smart home/wearables that might have legitimate functional changes year to year because much of their existence is based on personal convenience. A smartwatch that allows you to check Emails or notices with a simple gesture may be a legitimate upgrade reason because now a person can casually and secretly check their notifications during a company meeting or boring dinner with significant other. Most often in these cases the justification of a yearly update is based on the laziness and money of the users.
>>
>>339694105
Game development is inflated as it is without adding in another year to make sure you can accommodate multiple models. This is why PC gaming is a fucking mess, don't bring that to consoles
>>
>>339695290
The problem arises when that console you bought last year doesn't play games released with the new console in mind. Consoles take long enough to get a decent library going as it is
>>
>>339695290
I see your point but idk I think physical copies would complicate things. Yeah you could have compatibility info on the box but there's only so much you can put on the box. when Marlon gets uncharted home and finds out he can't play certain modes or he inexplicably has 2 fps in certain areas he's gonna be pissed and confused
>>
>new phones every second
>new tvs every second
>new tablets every second
>new pcs every second
>new cars every second
>new smart home tech every second
>new palaces every second
>new wearable tech every second
>new nanoimplants every second

Wow, shitlord, why aren't you purchasing every last novelty?
>>
theres already too much SHIT released at it is. Every fucking week there's more plastic pieces of shit with lcd screens released and it's all forgotten about within a month. "check out the new shitpad pro i65700. its got 1 mb more ram than the model we released last week" who gives a a0FUCK
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.