[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw MMOs will never be like old school MMOs ever again, with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Blood_mage_official.jpg (44 KB, 867x226) Image search: [Google]
Blood_mage_official.jpg
44 KB, 867x226
>tfw MMOs will never be like old school MMOs ever again, with 20 different races and classes all completely unique with interesting abilities, and you have an offensive target and a defensive target, and you can fight people while also healing

what a feel, I feel like the longer I've played MMOs the more depressing the state of them becomes. I don't know how people put up with such shitty game design, it's like they don't even know how the genre used to be and how good we had it.

Are there any MMOs out there like this still? Or is there any hope the genre will ever be like this again?
>>
>>339692121
>Old school
>Game that launched in 2007

What?
>>
>>339693302
It was the beginning of the end of games like that
>>
I think the problem is that you'r growing up.
>>
MMOs are a historically niche genre, but once WoW proved that they could ensnare the mainstream crowd no one wants no bother with such a financial risk any more.

Plus old school MMOs took up so much time that it's rare to get people who played a lot of them and were able to properly analyze their gameplay, and also had time to work their way up and become MMO designers themselves. So the influence is dying off.
>>
File: 7MUTn.jpg (17 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
7MUTn.jpg
17 KB, 400x449
>>339693513
I still like games with a lot of D&D style the same as when I was a kid, so not really. My tastes haven't changed at all.

>>339693739
I know this, it just makes me sad. I would kill to play a modern MMO with an old school design system. Like how back in the day devs just kind of made online versions of D&D.
>>
>>339693739
>old school MMOs took up so much time
Pretty much this. I loved playing Everquest but holy fuck was that a massive time sink. WoW didn't even come close.
>>
>>339692121
>vanguard
>doing anything right at all

pick one

quick, before you run into the edge of the cubed zone
>>
So why did Vanguard fail? Was it just too old school for modern gamers or were there other problems?
>>
>>339693964
I like massive time sinks though. I feel like I don't even get my money's worth with modern MMOs and I'm not even really willing to play them unless they are free to play.

>>339694076
It was just an example. I know the game was buggy and had a shit launch, but it had a great crafting, class, and diplomacy system.
>>
>>339694098
It launched in literally a pre-alpha state, and tried to actually convince people it wasn't still in development.

The producer was a drug-addict with a "vision", and caused many problems within the company, which is why it was moved around so much. Eventually they were forced to launch with what they had. Which was nothing.
>>
>>339694108
I don't even care about timesinks, just please give me horizontal progression instead of a gear treadmill.

Gear treadmills are trash designed knowing that people will quit the game after 3 months and want to resub. It's honestly the same level of evil as F2P
>>
>>339694108
I do not miss camping a mob for 18 hours straight just waiting for him to spawn. Old school MMOs did some thing rights but the rare spawning system in Everquest was fucking garbage.
>>
>>339694098
Nah, at the time it was released old school style MMOs were still kind of popular, and people were pretty excited for it because it was supposed to be the next good EQ.

The problem was that it was run by SoE, who are well known for being shit. It had a really bad launch and was really buggy, the game was sometimes unplayable. It was actually a really great game outside of that though, I think people were just disappointed from EQ before and it was the final straw so they didn't stick around.

I miss it though, along with Warhammer Online and pretty much every MMO with fun combat healers. I wish more MMOs would have them nowadays.
>>
>>339692121

i agree. MMO's today are all garbage. I have so many great ideas for MMO's written out but every year no one makes that great MMO that I crave.
>>
I never really heard of Vanguard but the Diplomacy system sounds cool as fuck, at least in concept.
>>
>>339694306

It could have been worse. You could have been competing with 90 other people for the same mob. Whoever designed the HNM system should go jump in a fire.
>>
>>339694306
>>339694505

I like the idea of some things being rare, but it should only be a piece of a larger endgame spread, not the whole thing.

I liked instanced activities as endgame, but they became awful when instanced dungeons started replacing all game content in MMOs.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.