[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Game takes place on multiple planets with space travel >Each
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: I 2.jpg (21 KB, 195x194) Image search: [Google]
I 2.jpg
21 KB, 195x194
>Game takes place on multiple planets with space travel
>Each entire planet is composed of a biome we have here on Earth.
>>
Well, if you look at every other planet in our solar system, that's pretty much how it actually is.
>>
>mmo set in space with alien races
>entire game takes place on a single planet and its moon
>all areas are just recolored places on earth

Fucking Wildstar
>>
>single biome planets

It was only ever good when Frank Herbert did it.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>339691934
this
>>
>>339691737
>planets with no life on them
>biome
Maybe you should check the meaning of the word.
>>
>>339691737
You're trying too hard to be a retard.
>>
>>339691934
>>339692039
TFW people will shit on NMS for doing this when they've said like 100 times the game is meant to replicate classic sci fi and their cover art
>>
File: lJJ_X1Imt.png (62 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
lJJ_X1Imt.png
62 KB, 520x390
>>339691737
Desert
Desert
Desert
Gas
Gas
Gas
Gas
Ice Desert
>>
>>339690950
what do you want, bro?
>>
>>339693214
>venus
>desert
It's literally hell.
>>
>>339690950
Can you think of any naturally occuring biomes that don't appear on Earth?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>339693214
What I meant was that each planet has only one (besides Mars which has ice caps). Not that all were the same.

Except now I also realize that "biome" doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

Here is a shitty picture of Jupiter that I tried to take through my telescope lens using my phone's camera.
>>
>>339690950

>Each planet has a "capital" that is the capital of the whole planet
>It's also the only city ever mentioned, and everything that happens on the planet happens there
>If the heroes know a character went to a certain planet, they can be sure to find him just by strolling around said capital
>>
>>339693609

We don't know of any other naturally occuring biomes because we don't know of any other planets with life, idiot.

And if you mean environments there's plenty of them in the solar system alone that aren't on Earth. I don't see any methane glaciers or colourful gas atmospheres or vents spraying liquid into space.
>>
>>339690950
>no game will ever give you a game over for stepping into a teleporter
IT KILLS YOU
A COPY COMES OUT THE OTHER END, NOT REALLY YOU
WAKE UP SHEEPLE
>>
>>339695648

Not if the teleporter works as a wormhole.

Star Trek type teleporters 100% kill you though.
>>
>>339695149
>If the heroes know a character went to a certain planet, they can be sure to find him just by strolling around said capital

Fuck, this one bothers me
>>
>>339691815
The alternative is
>game has dozens of planets
>each planet is just like a zone in WoW except with loading screens

Fucking TOR
>>
>>339695716
Exactly.
Any time your consciousness ceases to exist, so do you. You're temporary, and once you're gone you're gone.
Whatever comes out the other end is just an identical reconstruction.
>>
>>339695648
Explain how this is functionally any different to magically moving you somewhere without using the word soul.
>>
>>339695716
>>339695648

It's funny because I figured out the solution to the teleporter problem. You know, assuming you were making a round trip every time.
>>
>>339696189
The solution is telling people that teleportation is perfectly safe, don't worry about any of that philosophical nonsense bucko, just step right in and close your eyes
>>
>>339696108
Explain how "science" teleporting is different from "magic" teleporting?
>>
>>339696570
Magic teleporting is probably taking a shortcut through another dimension.

Like some Nightcrawler shit.
>>
>>339696389
Nah here's the solution. Only works for round trips tho.

Ok, so the teleporter that really kills you is composed of 5 components:

>device that scans every atom in your body including your brain
>device that destroys you
>internet or some other information transfer system from point A to point B
>computer at the other end that can receive the info
>device that reassembles you atom by atom

The solution is to not be a retard and use the 5 components more intelligently. Say you work in New York and your boss wants tou to attend a conference in London in half an hour. The only way to get there is to teleport. Here's what you do to ensure you don't die.

Scan yourself, send the info, and create a copy of yourself at the other end. Don't destroy yourself though. Copy-you goes to the conference while original-you stays home playing vidya. After the conference is over, copy-you goes back to the London teleporter station, where he is scanned and destroyed. Original-you goes back to the NY teleporter, where copy-you's complete brain scan is now stored. Scan yourself. Compare your current scan with the scan of copy-you. Isolate the memories he has that are different feom yours and have the device implant them into your mind.

Now you have all the memories of having gone on a teleporter trip without ever having destroyed yourself.
>>
>>339693465
why does doom take place on mars then
>>
>>339696096
What's even more interesting is that we can divide up time in the same way, and each infinitesimal moment of time is simply a recreation of you moving onwards

The you of one infinitesimal moment prior no longer exists, that consciousness is gone. There is a new consciousness for another brief moment of time before this repeats.

you've already died an infinite number of times
>>
>>339696023
I've yet to see a game treat Earth like something special.

You always see things like gaia planets in sci-fi games, and they ALWAYS turn out to be earth-copies.

HINT HINT MOTHERFUCKERS

EARTH IS ONE OF THEM GAIA PLANETS
>>
>>339697043
Wasn't there a movie where someone teleports but their original doesn't get destroyed like it's supposed to?
>>
>>339691815
>Game has trappings of sci-fi epic.
>Actually takes place in the past of a specific planet in that universe.
>>
File: ac1.png (116 KB, 486x322) Image search: [Google]
ac1.png
116 KB, 486x322
>>339697385
>People die all the time, if you redefine "die" to mean something other than dying!
That's not the same thing as being fucking vaporized and replaced by a clone.
>>
>>339696096
Then explain sleep. You are conscious, and then all of a sudden it's many hours later.
>>
>>339698007
Your brain still functions during sleep. Dreams n sheet.
>>
>>339697385
Well that's on a different level really.
I define death as the instant in which your consciousness ceases to exist; but consciousness is an active thing, changes don't mean destruction or erasure of the original identity. The brain which is responsible for maintaining the consciousness may be altered, thus fucking shit up to an extent, however. But unless your consciousness stops existing, you're still you. Fuck this is way harder to articulate than I thought, I'm not sure I'm even saying what I'm trying to say.
>>339698007
I'm talking about consciousness as an entity (the "you" which inhabits your brain), not a state (like conscious "awake" or unconscious "asleep")
>>
>>339697043
Why would copy you be fine with getting destroyed?
>>
>>339698828
Who cares lol
>>
>>339697510
The Prestige.
>>
>>339698828
>>339699728

Shit, I read that as "would your copy be ok with getting destroyed?"

He's a copy, so he doesn't matter at all
>>
>>339698007
Your consciousness still functions, even during sleep. That's what dreams are.

Breaking down a body at a molecular level and reconstructing it in a different location is just creating a clone of that person. The original person is dead forever.
>>
>>339699904
>Your consciousness still functions, even during sleep. That's what dreams are.
This.

I don't know where all those "You died when you sleep" crap came from.
>>
>>339700334
Idiots.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.