[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Half Life 1 had scripted events. Half Life 2 had physics and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: tmp_8792-Half-Life-31319117174.png (265 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8792-Half-Life-31319117174.png
265 KB, 2560x1440
Half Life 1 had scripted events.
Half Life 2 had physics and facial animations
What could the thing be that Half Life 3 innovates on? Could it be the first AAA VR game?
>>
Vr isnt a feature its another way of playing.

Whatever it bring its gonna be good, but who knows if it even exists
>>
>>339686591
>another way of playing is not a feature
>>
Just a reminder that even if they bring a masterpiece classic after more than a full decade (SPOILERS: they won't, it will be dated as shit at best just like DNF), it still won't live up to the former hype that people have largely forgotten.
>>
>>339686723
>it will be dated as shit at best just like DNF

Youre retarded hang yourself
>>
>>339685567
F stop
>>
>>339686723
Oh wow thanks Sherlock.
>>
>>339685567
Valve didn't invent any of those things. They just did them well. Perfecting does not equal innovating.
>>
>>339686723
I'm with you. I think it'll be great no matter how they do it but it won't live up to the hype we've all generated over the last decade. Personally, I don't give 2 shits how they continue the story, I just need some fucking closure :(
>>
File: drink.jpg (48 KB, 344x345) Image search: [Google]
drink.jpg
48 KB, 344x345
HL3 will be valve's first VR game. It will be more of a walking simulator than an action game but it will be very pretty.
>>
File: QZyKl6T.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
QZyKl6T.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>vr
>feature
>>
>EP2 was 14 years ago
>>
File: 1444874761195.gif (290 KB, 396x290) Image search: [Google]
1444874761195.gif
290 KB, 396x290
Half-Life
>13 hours long
>only scene where you're forced to sit and listen is the opening setting the scene
>puzzles are all about figuring your way through an area through exploration and repairing systems
>multiplayer included

Half-Life 2
>10 hours long
>multiplayer "cinematic" sequences throughout the game
>puzzles are all about loading bricks/drums/etc. as a counterweight
>multiplayer sold separately
>Always-Online DRM
>multiple plot points that reset and go nowhere over the course of the game and Episode 1+2
>just a tech demo for Source

And with the current ways Valves put out their games to turn a trick, I can't understand why anyone thinks Half-Life 3 will have any of the old heart into it.
>>
File: WEAPON OF THE SAVIOR.jpg (69 KB, 728x272) Image search: [Google]
WEAPON OF THE SAVIOR.jpg
69 KB, 728x272
>>339685567
something like that, yea

im thinking along the line of a super sandbox rpg/fps in vr where player's interaction actually mean something

also, physics-based crowbar combat
>>
>>339685567
>What could the thing be that Half Life 3 innovates on?

My wish would be good AI but people want AI as retarded as possible.
>>
>>339685567
It will be the world's first Speculation Game. Basically it never comes out and all the fun is speculating as to how it will be like when it does, but it won't.
>>
>>339685567
Half Life 2 was far from the first game with physics. It certainly had the most advanced physics when it came out, but it was hardly the first. That would be like crediting Crysis for innovating physics, as its system was far more advanced than anything prior.
>>
>>339685567
VR is probably too niche/expensive right now for it.

I'm expecting Half Life 3 to do the same things 2 did, but in a more advanced way. Otherwise maybe they are making advanced npc ai.
>>
>Half Life Episode 3
>ever

It's never going to come out. Ever.
>>
>>339690335
no shit retard. they dropped the episodic model years ago. they will release HL3, not episode 3
>>
>>339690335
Screencapped.
>>
Some sort of advanced multiplayer features or integrated VR.

They will probably want to push through a new tech item with it. They pushed steam through HL2. Maybe their VR platform will be through HL3?
>>
>>339690503
Boy you gonna tell everyone when never comes
>>
File: 1426724776710.jpg (100 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1426724776710.jpg
100 KB, 500x382
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-writer-says-half-life-3-will-not-be-a-vr-game/
>>
>>339690483
Valve will not continue with the Half-Life franchise, ever.

If you're lucky they might one day release a documentary of what they had.

Even if they did release it, it would be bad and you would feel nothing but disappointment.
>>
File: 1342790611418.png (46 KB, 392x404) Image search: [Google]
1342790611418.png
46 KB, 392x404
>>339691381
>writer
>>
>>339691626
plus marc laidlaw just retired from valve (bless his soul) so really, valve is undergoing a massive change with core people leaving and shits

take everything with a grain of salt
>>
>>339686723
DNF was a disaster for so many reasons. Saying it was because it was dated is just flat out inaccurate. In fact, as you went through the game, you could see the levels slowly modernizing themselves to various FPS conventions throughout the years.
>>
Shit ain't coming. Ever.

Valve are not the same studio they were when they created HL2.

They are making untold billions from Steam - they don't need to make games anymore.
>>
AI, perhaps? Considering all the progress we've made in the rest of game technology, AI hasn't really improved a hell of a lot. FEAR, from 2005, has more interesting AI than almost anything that comes out even now.
>>
>>339685567
VR is a meme
>>
The innovation that was suppose to be that they failed (but others have done better on) was episodic releases.
>>
>>339687792
>>multiplayer sold separately

It was free if you already owned HL2.
>>
>>339687792
I'd say HL2 is only like six hours long.
I still fucking love it despite all of the other points that are true.
>>
>>339685567
>What could the thing be that Half Life 3 innovates on?

The idea of vaporware
>>
>>339692496
Wasn't at all new at that point. They said they wanted to at least try something somewhat new in each episode. 1 was Alyx being there all the goddamn time. 2 was the big ending map/scene.
>>
>>339692202
>Considering all the progress we've made in the rest of game technology, AI hasn't really improved a hell of a lot

This, holy fuck.

Sound, engine capabilities, lighting, effects, even industry general concepts like acting and writing have all improved a lot in 15 years but holy fuck has AI stagnated to no end.
>>
>>339685567

I was thinking VR, but a frustrated developer really did let slip

>"will HL3 ship with VR?"
>"No!"

Though it's unclear whether his no meant "no vr" or "no, I'm not going to talk about HL3."
>>
>>339693912

Not really, AI's gotten better at querying the environment.

Like Fallout 4 companions will dynamically take cover on various obstacles that I'm pretty sue haven't been pre-designated as cover spots. (Same type of system Left for Dead uses I think).

And in Unreal engine 4, it's absurdly easy for indie devs to take advantage of it.
>>
>>339694059
>Like Fallout 4

Stopped reading
>>
>>339694083

Of course, I forgot which board I was on.
>>
>>339694059
>Like Fallout 4 companions will dynamically take cover on various obstacles that I'm pretty sue haven't been pre-designated as cover spots.

So your example to prove AI isn't stagnating is to list an example of a 2015 game having AI capabilities that other games had in 2003?

Good job.
>>
>>339687792
The "puzzles" in Half Life 1 were all about finding a switch at the end of a corridor, and then backtracking through a corridor that was slightly different than it was the first time.

Also the original release of Half Life 2 had DM and CSS included.
>>
>>339693912
There's a good reason for that.
1. AI is the slowest developing field in general, not just videogames.
2.Even if you make good AI the player either wont notice or itll be too good so he'll think it's cheating and get frustrated.

It's just not worth putting budget for a good ai when players want to feel special.
>>
>>339694217

The "puzzles" in Half Life 2 involved pushing the obvious nearby heavy thing 2 feet into the bucket to tilt the ramp.
>>
>>339694349
What is your point? They're both bad in their own ways.
>>
>>339694349
It's more of a puzzle than Half Life 1. Why do you keep acting like Half life 1 had some sophisticated puzzle segments?
>>
>>339694476
It's more of a fault to say that what Half-Life 1 had was puzzles, but it's hard to get an equation to what Half-Life 2 has going on.

Half-Life's system exploring, backtracking, and getting systems up and running to the next system wasn't half bad. It was great to look around, find your way through the situation, and then get the next piece of the solution set while all the while you're being attacked by extradimensional enemies and have to pass through the hazards of a decaying Black Mesa.

Half-Life 2 ditched this design in favor of "puzzles," which just existed to showcase the physic capabilities of Source. The reason why people equate the design of Half-Life's levels to Half-Life 2's puzzles is because these "puzzles" are supposed to get the same reaction out of players platforming across pipes into a new area, killing a few soldiers or Vortigaunts, and then going through the process of resetting a generator.

So it's a bit of a problem to equate the two, but they fill the same slot of a challenge. Half-Life 2 performs considerably worse in this regard, and it all plays into Half-Life 2 and its release just being a demo for the New Valve.
>>
>>339690648
Would be cool if NPCs responded to head shaking and nodding, I always did this in every HL game for some reason. Not that it's an advanced feature or that I'll own a headset any time soon.
>>
>>339685567
VR is just a gimmick
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.