[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we really need level progression in MMOs? Doesnt it just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: MreKeBd.png (123 KB, 399x148) Image search: [Google]
MreKeBd.png
123 KB, 399x148
Do we really need level progression in MMOs?

Doesnt it just make previous content irrelevant?
>>
>>339680006

Do we really need levels in video games?

Doesn't it just arbitrarily prolong content?
>>
FFXIV THREAD?

FIRST FOR MONK
>>
Do we really need video games?

Doesn't it just waste your time?
>>
>>339680572
I just wanna punch Nidhogg in the face.
>>
>>339680006
>Do we really need level progression in MMOs?

No.

>Doesnt it just make previous content irrelevant?

Yes, and developers have to keep finding ways to keep people going back to do them anyway. XIV sort of works it out by having everyone be able to level up multiple jobs, but fucks this anyway by having everything at the end game behind a timed lockout so it takes months of dedicating all your weekly lockout tomes towards only one job, rendering all of your other jobs worthless in raid content because their gear isn't up the snuff.
>>
>>339680006
>3.3 comes out
>try pacing myself like with every patch
>get too excited
>blow through everything
>want to fucking die on tome grinds
>unsub after beating Extreme Trial

Fuck Savage though. You couldn't pay me to do that. Okay, you could, at $8/hour.
>>
>>339680006
Without progression, mmos turn in to themeparks.

The only good mmo model is one where you get to end game with linear progression and then have an exponential climb to reach a gg build that isn't needed. This satisfies all demographics without alienating anyone or watering down content
>>
Would MMOs benefit from player content creation?
>>
>>339681184
But everyone harks about how good Vanilla and XI were with their sandbox designs.
>>
>>339681212
No because most people have unimaginative shit taste.

When core mechanics of a game are fucked with, the game dies.
See:
Wow
Gw2
Ff xiv
>>
can somebody buy me this game i'll play with you forever
>>
Expansions are really what make previous content irrelevant.
>>
File: 1463373616252.jpg (114 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1463373616252.jpg
114 KB, 707x1000
>>339680887
What would really, really help is making it so level sync cripples your stats slightly harder but let's you keep your higher level abilities.
It throws you off balance suddenly not having half your core skills, and it's highly unpleasant being synced as a result. Like I'm leveling monk right now, and I lose all of my AoE options while synced. At least if I were a PGL I could spam Death Blossom with Raging Strikes, B4B and Internal Release.
>>
>>339681531
I think what makes a lot of content irrelevant is their feeling of separation from the game or the player's goals.

Dungeons and raids are just rooms completely separated from the world.
What if you had players able to walk into dungeons at any time and complete them, but deeper parts of the dungeon would obviously require more party memebers.
>>
>>339681723
>I think what makes a lot of content irrelevant is their feeling of separation from the game or the player's goals.

XIV is the best example of this. Raid content is entirely separate from the main community. It is far, FAR too hardcore for almost everyone playing the game, so why do they even do their weekly tome grind? So they can get better gear and do older content for glamor more easily?
>>
Let's just get these posts out of the way:
>BAWWWW I DON'T LIKE THE CONTENT SO I'LL SAY IT HAS NO CONTENT
>WAAAH I PLAYED 3000 HOURS AND I'M ALREADY OUT OF THINGS TO DO
>BAWWW THIS GAME IS SHIT BUT I WON'T STOP PLAYING
>>
File: ffxiv_04062016_200933.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ffxiv_04062016_200933.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Post Roes.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.