[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of using Burst or single Fire when Automatic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
What is the point of using Burst or single Fire when Automatic is available? Cant you replicate this with trigger discipline?
>>
not in the heat of battle

trust me kid
>>
>>339636678
going auto full auto when you're actually trying to hit something and not suppressing is all kinds of dumb.
You'll be wasting bullets like crazy, you won't be able to aim for shit because of recoil, your gun(depending on how many bullets can it take a time) will overheat like a bitch.
Even machine-gunners won't be going full auto most of the time, usually they deal with bursts.
>>
>>339637282
Yeah but I am saying that I could just not squeeze the trigger as long, as opposed to actually switching the fire mode of the weapon.
>>
>>339638120
on the firing range, sure. In a combat situation where you are under severe stress if you leave you weapon on auto it is more likely that you'll waste shots, even if you're trying to do bursts. Might be better to leave at single or to burst so it'll fire only a few round so you'll have more control of your ammo while still being able to lay down high amounts of lead on the enemy.
>>
>>339636678

I do prefer to fire with burst than going full auto cause barrel will not instantly overheat,have less chances to jam and because I can place shots more easily than going full za rodinu.

ofc if shtf quite fast then going full auto to cover retreat is ok,as for burst I don't mean burst 1 second break burst one second break and so on,is just burst burst follow tracer and adjust aim while firing the other burst and so on
>>
>>339636678
Burst and single fire modes were added by the military when it was proven that no, the average soldier absolutely could not be relied upon to use trigger discipline to conserve ammo in the heat of battle.
>>
>>339641065
But in a video game though?
>>
>>339641609

depends on your skill, you still can miss click sometimes so yeah there's that

also most gaming mouses come with double and triple click function for some reason
>>
>>339637282
wish more games had a use or mechanic for supressing fire.

It's only in tacticool games like insurgency or fuckhuge fights like planetside
>>
No.
Because you are limited to being able to carry around 180 rounds.
Why would you intentionally want to miss and waste rounds?

That's what Machine Guns are for. And they have people that follow them around and carry extra ammo for them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nJGFUTI9A

Always go full auto. The more bullets fired, the higher the chances of hitting the enemy!
>>
File: 1416263423428.jpg (64 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
1416263423428.jpg
64 KB, 960x717
>>339636678
Logistical reasons, anon.

Imagine 2 squads in the same battlefield, Squad A is equipped with fully automatic weapons, and Squad B is equipped with semi-automatic rifles (with one grunt equipped with a light-machinegun).

If both squads are engaged in an exact same firefight scenario for a day, Squad B will very likely have more ammunition than Squad A at the end of the day.

reason why this is the case is mentioned by >>339641065

In real life, only one or two people should have a fully automatic weapon in a small fireteam. That individual's purpose in the fireteam is more so to provide suppressive fire. They are instructed to fire in short bursts also, since most LMGs will overheat and damage the barrel if one were to just squeeze and hold the trigger until mag/drum is empty.
>>
Also you would have to switch barrels every couple hundred rounds which is an annoying inconvenience. Having to swap out a extremely high temperature piece of metal under stress sucks.
>>
File: hand signals.jpg (415 KB, 1260x1936) Image search: [Google]
hand signals.jpg
415 KB, 1260x1936
>>339642475
>>
>>339642072
the whole Brother in Arms series is based around suppressing people with a team then flanking/closing in with grenades with a fire team/yourself.
>>
File: hires_120615-A-3108M-030a.jpg (2 MB, 1974x1316) Image search: [Google]
hires_120615-A-3108M-030a.jpg
2 MB, 1974x1316
>>339636678

In real life fully automatic isn't really that cool unless it's a machine gun from a supported position, in which case it's fucking awesome, being the gunner on a gun team is MONEY.

I never fired my M4 on burst, it's even more stupid and useless than full auto.

Once we got our M4A1s fully auto was fun for about 30 seconds when we first got them and took them to the range for full auto familiarization.
>>
>>339642415
hey i know that guy
>>
>>339642415
Didn't realize Orkz were on /v/
>>
I was marine infantry with 2 deployments to afghanistan. Not once did i ever use burst/auto during an engagement. Its way to uncontrollable.

Even for suppression, fully auto is not ideal. Machine gunners rarely fire anything over 5 second bursts, and their weapon systems are actually designed for rapid fire. Accurate and controlled shots fired at a higher pace are better than spraying rounds down range. Thats why we began replacing the SAW with the IAR for our fireteam support gunners
>>
File: 1464306970128.jpg (21 KB, 587x527) Image search: [Google]
1464306970128.jpg
21 KB, 587x527
>>339642415
so is ArmA any fun or is it just people playing second life as soldiers
>>
>>339636678
>what is the point of conserving bullets and not spraying them everywhere hoping one of them hits?
>>
File: 20160409203837_1.jpg (428 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
20160409203837_1.jpg
428 KB, 1920x1200
>>339645915
It is fun as long as you avoid military-grade autism clans and their servers
These guys for example actually taking oath of allegiance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlqc0V6L1c
>>
>>339636678
in most games burst fire is vastly superior

because it will burst as fast as you can pull the trigger and not apply auto recoil.
>>
>>339642072
Red Orchestra. Unless you are Japs then your MG is a scoped GI removal machine.
>>
>>339648586
Sometimes suppression seems a bit too underwhelming when I use the MG in Red Orchestra though. I always heard that the best way to suppress was to give a burst at one enemy, then a burst at another and another, then go back to the first enemy, repeat. Bursts of 4-6 rounds don't seem to do much at all, so I end up only suppressing one window with 30 rounds at a time and then dying to another rifleman entirely because a trigger happy MG is like a "SNIPE ME" neon sign and it's pretty easy to make long shots with all the zoom you get from holding breath.
>>
>Conserve ammo
>Less recoil
>Better accuracy
>Higher damage in most games

Unless you're literally shoving your barrel into the enemy there's no reason to go full auto.
>>
>>339648586
you mean the type 99 light machine gun, that weapon is beast when you get the scope, GI go home weapon
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.