[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chrono Cross
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: CC.jpg (441 KB, 1430x1392) Image search: [Google]
CC.jpg
441 KB, 1430x1392
You were wrong /v/. People told me this game was garbage compared to Trigger and it's just as good. Will we ever get a third game?
>>
>>339634810
no because people bitched so hard about CC that it killed the series
>>
It IS garbage compared to Chrono Trigger, but so are 99% of all video games ever made. It's still pretty damn good compared to other games on the PS1. It just needed some more time in the oven, or maybe less "idea guys" working on it and bloating the game with a convoluted story and needless concepts. It's similar to Xenogears in that way, but is less blatantly unfinished.

The combat also needed to be re-worked. The system itself was fine, but with the way leveling worked, you had no incentive to actually fight anything, nor any incentive to use the vast majority of the characters they dump on you.
>>
>>339635007
I always though it was because they couldn't get back the original team together because of all the stuff on Square's plate.
>>
if CC was its own IP and had nothing to do with chrono trigger, it probably wouldnt gotten as much shit.
>>
>>339634810
>You were wrong /v/.

It's /v/, of corse it was wrong.
>>
>>339635461
>It IS garbage compared to Chrono Trigger, but so are 99% of all video games ever made.
Trigger fanboys are the worst.
>>
>>339635461
I thought the leveling was perfectly fine. It's not like you needed to fight too much in Trigger either. Though I DO prefer the regular EXP system.
>>
>>339634810
>You were wrong /v/
you don't say
>>
Both games need to be harder
>>
>>339634810
Better than Trigger.
>>
>>339638748
The difficulty was pretty spot on I'd say except for how in CC you can run away from bosses which is actually pretty cool but it does make things easier.
>>
This game is pretty good except for the last hour where they dump exposition on you to connect the game to trigger. That last hour also has some "plot twists" that fall flat due to lack of emotion (btw lynx was your dad). I also think that some of the last stuff with the dragon god existing/also not existing didn't make too much sense, but feel free to call me stupid on that.
>>
>>339641258
>I also think that some of the last stuff with the dragon god existing/also not existing didn't make too much sense, but feel free to call me stupid on that.

What? iirc the dragon god was the physical manifestation of the elements and always existed, was that not it?
>>
A shining beacon among irrelevant sequels. Truly one of its kind.
>>
>Cut out Magus due to time restraints
>Dalton despite destroying the kingdom of Guardia completely disappears
>Main cast of the timeline nowhere to be seen save Lucca who probably died offscreen and Robo
>Massive number of party members that you'll only really have one slot open to use

Music was pretty good though.
>>
>>339634810

>Will we ever get a third game?
Crono Cross sold more than Chrono Trigger and got even better reviews from critics (lots of perfect scores). Obviously it wasn't a perfect game, but clearly the sales and critical acclaim was there to make a sequel 15 years ago.

Squaresoft just didn't want to do it. They wanted to put more focus on Final Fantasy. And has been doing that pretty much until Wada got 'retired'. Masato Kato got regulated to writing for Final Fantasy and Mana games. And both Wada and the producer of Chrono Trigger DS claimed the DS port of Trigger sold poorly (despite selling nearly 1 million units and out performing various FF games on DS). Basically, its the higher ups at SquareEnix who killed the Chrono series.

Since SquareEnix is so remake happy, they should let Masato Kato remake Chrono Cross with all the story and gameplay that was left out of the original game. Leading up to a new Chrono game. Masato Kato (and Sakaguchi) have both said they want to see more Chrono games. And now that Square and Enix are one combined company, they could bring back the Dragon Quest team to essentially revive the core team from Trigger. They don't really need Monolithsoft, but I'm sure if SquareEnix made a deal with Nintendo, Nintendo would be perfectly fine letting Monolithsoft work on a new Chrono game. But then, Nintendo is practically begging SquareEnix to release Dragon Quest games in the west and they won't even do that. The prospects for a whole new Chrono game look grim when we can't even get already completed Dragon Quest games released in the west.

Also Chrono Cross is a great game. Screw the idiots.
>>
My only problem with it was the slow and boring combat.
The game itself is very unique and had the best vidya soundtrack and great atmosphere.
>>
File: 1386030309804.jpg (223 KB, 805x1020) Image search: [Google]
1386030309804.jpg
223 KB, 805x1020
Have you learned nothing? Chrono 3 = you getting a GF.
>>
>>339634810
>blaming /v/ for your shit taste
>>
>>339642127
I think it was that, but it was also consumed by the time devourer at some point in the past, but we still fight it somehow? Also Harle is part of the dragon that was eaten by the time devourer, but still acts autonomously?
>>
>>339644216
>Crono Cross sold more than Chrono Trigger and got even better reviews from critics (lots of perfect scores).
Chrono Trigger on the SNES sold about half a million more than Cross, despite being on a cartridge (which sold much less than CDs, since they were frequently traded) and Square not making nearly enough carts to meet the market demands (CT was one of the few, if not the only game where the value increased almost immediately after release).

And the reviews are meaningless. Every game in the late 90s got high reviews, even though it was one of the weakest console generations.
>>
>>339645992
>It was one of the weakest console generations

Get outta here
>>
It has great aesthetic and the unnamed town characters all say something interesting. World building is interesting but tries to do too much
>>
>>339645992

>And the reviews are meaningless. Every game in the late 90s got high reviews
What?

>even though it was one of the weakest console generations.
Oh, you're just high as a kite.
>>
>>339634810
>You were wrong /v/
No, I always said it was a great game. Chrono Cross was actually my all-time favorite for may years.. Until I played Trails in the Sky, anyways.

Kid is best girl
>>
File: kid_and_serge_by_grey_the_angel.jpg (174 KB, 975x977) Image search: [Google]
kid_and_serge_by_grey_the_angel.jpg
174 KB, 975x977
Kid is bae. <3
>>
Loved the music.
Loved the art.
Loved the combat system.
Waaaaaay to easy.
Like, immersion breaking easy.
Had to drop it, sadly.
>>
>>339646904

Despite its issues in Disk 2, Chrono Cross is probably the best RPG on the PS1 after Suikoden I and II. A (properly handled) remake could make it just as good as Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>339634810
http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=cross

read this objectively correct review
>>
Nah, I love the game too. Definitely my favorite square game.
>>
>>339634810
It IS bad in comparison to Trigger
>>
>>339647929
>objectively
Please. I dropped this shot the second he called the combat dull. Its a ton of fun. Also
>letting reviews tell you how to feel about a game before playing it for yourself
>>
>>339648820
>Its a ton of fun.

No. Grandia 2's combat system is fun.

I pointed out the article because it basically gives a better explanation than I could as to why I couldn't like a game with stellar soundtrack and visuals but poor...everything else
>>
File: big bait.png (84 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
big bait.png
84 KB, 4000x4000
>>339634810
dude
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.