[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that I can spend an entire day attempting an unlpleasent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Bayonetta.jpg (863 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Bayonetta.jpg
863 KB, 800x800
Why is it that I can spend an entire day attempting an unlpleasent task at a video game, such as repeating a time-trial over and over for an S rank or leaderboard place, but I can't apply that determination to anything actually productive like drawing? I'm not really having fun or getting instant gratification either way
>>
Drawing isn't productive. It's on the level of video games.
>>
>>339625350
Drawing can be productive If you were to make money off of it.
>>
>>339625626
Which OP isn't.
>>
It's easy with the game because you don't feel any kind of pressure for it to become anything. It's easy to put it down since you can say "it's just a leisure activity" and there's no fear of failure.

>>339625663
As I'm sure you know you have to start off by practicing something before you can start making money off of it
>>
>>339625837
No need to get defensive, Picasso.
>>
>>339625126
You suck at drawing.
>>
>>339625126
The instant gratification in vidya isn't getting first place / highscore. It's pushing a button and getting audiovisual response. That's basically the foundation of any addiction. Imagine how people like to gamble in Las Vegas. It makes no sense. But all the slot machines give you a sense of entertainment while you let out all your greed.

Drawing is basically a chore, that you jave to master before you get fast results.

Hell, similar concepts even apply to prons usage /viewing
>>
>>339625126
Because when you're shit at drawing it's pretty demoralizing, trying to improve something that will only take a very long time to improve. You will never get that SSS satisfaction by drawing for the first time for 8 hours straight, ending up with something mediocre
>>
>>339625126
It's easier to push buttons than to draw.
>>
>>339625126
Because you are competing, not creating.
>>
post drawings op
>>
>>339625126
drawing implies artistic skill, creativity

playing a game means you are good at manipulating the game with set rules and inputs, very little creativity is involved
>>
>>339626583

This describes it perfectly. It's why I love video games a form of entertainment above anything else. There's no waiting that I have to do in order to get to the good parts.

When I'm learning Japanese, I don't immediately pick up everything, so it gets fucking tedious. When I'm working, I don't immediately get a paycheck. These are all things that happen gradually.
>>
>>339627878
I'd make the case that delayed gratification has the potential to be of greater value in the long run. I won't remember most of the time I spend playing games, but I'm always going to remember the summer jobs I had or the sports I played, or learning an instrument in band class. Good stuff never comes easy, and I find that seeing the results of hours and hours of effort to be a very gratifying feeling.
>>
Who gives a fuck about productivity?
You're aware almost every first world country is about to collapse right? Yellowstone could erupt literally any second, Russia and China want to start a nuclear war, and white people are being shot and murdered almost regularly. Fuck productivity, do whatever makes you happy. Just remember to tell your loved ones that you love them.
>>
>>339625126
You haven't built up a strong psychological association between drawing and a direct reward, as gaming will do for you automatically. Every time you draw, reward yourself afterwards with something nice and slightly uncommon. Your brain will soon get the message. Good luck practicing your drawing skills, anon.

If you're interested:

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2014/03/17/building-the-practice-habit-6-science-supported-steps-to-great-musicianship/
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.