[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fuck Valve and fuck Steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: novalve.png (50 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
novalve.png
50 KB, 700x700
>Valve, the absolute behemoth in digital distribution of PC games
>Drains 30% of profits from all Steam-based digital sales
>Drains 10-15% from all Steam market transactions
>Net profit estimated around 1 billion US dollars per year (meanwhile GTA 5's spending budget was like 200-300 million incl. marketing expenditure, and all of that spanned across multiple years)
>Employs only 350 people for entire Customer Support, R&D, Gamedev, Server administration, Web development and so on
>SteamOS still in beta
>Steam client is still clunky and slow piece of crap
>Still no E3 event dedicated to PC
>Abysmal customer support
>Three years since Dota 2 and still no details about new IPs or new games whatsoever
>Gabe pretty much confirmed Half-Life 3 is not happening due to company's inability to meet customers' expectations
>Tried to monetize modding but backed out only due to a huge backlash from the community
>Destroyed original TF2 design to use it as a testbed for hats, crates and other jewish tricks that prints them money
>Most of company investments are oriented to build a fucking CONSOLE around Steam and PC architecture
>On top of that, you still don't own your games - you're just a service subscriber

Remind me again why you still support this incompetent company that just wastes your fucking money
>>
>>339616070
It's obvious Gabe is just waiting until he dies to pass the Steam engine to somebody else. He's a fat guy who probably just wants to take his wealth and live until he dies.
>>
Because the games are dirt cheap and most people use it. I buy games from elsewhere if possible.

>>339616201
>live until he dies.
Usually that's how it works.
>>
>>339616070
Steam is still the best distribution platform + gaming oriented social medium.

It's shit, but nothing beats it yet.
>>
>>339616289
You know what I mean. Live as in doing nothing but chillen out on the couch smoking joints and drinking hard alcohol with your buddies. I wonder what Gabe is actually up to on most days. Not exercising obviously.
>>
File: gape.jpg (66 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
gape.jpg
66 KB, 500x500
down the shitter
>>
>>339616289
>Usually that's how it works.

Yeah but he will die at an early age because he doesn't take care of himself, instead gorges on shit just because he can afford it. I can't wait for the guy to suffer a heart attack or a stroke.
>>
File: EA.jpg (46 KB, 715x452) Image search: [Google]
EA.jpg
46 KB, 715x452
>>339616070
EA employee detected.
>>
>>339616734
>muh EA boogeymen
>>
>Retailer's products include a retailer cut
Holy crackers, shut down everything!
>>
File: andrew-wilson.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
andrew-wilson.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>339616610
T.ea ceo
>>
>>339616789
No, it's just an obvious shill
>>
>>339616834
>Retailer's products include a retailer cut
>Earn 1 billion dollarydoos a year
>Employ 10 people to make a Steam console

I think you still don't see the problem here
>>
>>339617069
What problem? Reinvesting your money is an option, not some kind of obligation.
>>
>>339616070
Steams take is less than retail stores and is the best deal for releasing your game on any platform
>>
>>339616420
Just like JewTube.
>>
>maintains the industry standard for publishing platform revenue division, and continues to have by far the most open platform out there

>created a content sharing marketplace and then takes a cut from all user sales to pay themselves and the community creators of the content

>maintains a low-profile private company with a massive R&D department to create technologies and share them with more freedom than anybody else in the marketplace (vive & their VR platform especially are incredibly open, consistently puting out dev tools for free to allow people working in similar fields to quickly overcome dev pipeline hurdles like aliasing in VR, proper frame buffering, etc)

>pioneered and proved the viability of the best F2P model—cosmetic only—without which the only people experimenting in the field at the inception of persistent monetization would have been fucking chink MMO's and the entire AAA landscape would look like cellphone game monetization (both EA and Ubisoft continue to try this with their AAA games, even in sp)

>maintains a no-charge digital distribution platform with a fully functional social media component and allows for user reviews on all products sold through it when the only competing platforms of any comparable quality continue to charge monthly subscription services

>allow devs to register steam-keys for their games to steam at 0 charge, so a dev can sell their game on their site and reap 100% of the profit and still allow their users to choose to register to steam

>every once in a while their R&D efforts produces a game of immaculate quality

Valve is the developer's developer. Almost pure R&D on every front.

If you're a customer, you're getting a good platform and a good game once or twice a decade, but if you're a game dev you're getting the best end of the deal for sure.

>they make so much money why aren't they doing what I want with it!
that's why they're private; so fucks like you don't get to direct their interests.
>>
>>339617285
I don't think they're even reinvesting 10% of what they earn
>>
>>339616070
no you faggot you are the cancer
only a developer would care that they are losing out on 30% of the sale. Also, nintendo microsoft and sony have the exact same thing setup on their platforms. I wonder if this post is made by a ubisoft ea or bethesda pr rep.
>>
>>339616070
>>Drains 30% of profits from all Steam-based digital sales
>>Drains 10-15% from all Steam market transactions

Do you get mad about Wal-Mart making money on other people's cereal and TVs, too?
>>
>>339616070
Steam is the best digital distribution platform available and has the best games available on PC currently. Not to mention all the sales.

If it weren't for Steam, PC gaming would be dead.
>>
File: 1432594786078.jpg (131 KB, 1055x959) Image search: [Google]
1432594786078.jpg
131 KB, 1055x959
>>
Apart for the garbage customer service and the paid mods debacle, they've done nothing that's inherently wrong or negative. They're no longer the "BASED" company they once were but they are far and above from being malicious or crooked as of now.

They're more neutral then anything.
>>
>>339616070
Stopped reading there.
All digital stores does that.
I'm not saying that makes it ok, but enough for me to stop reading.
>>
>>339617578
And that's their choice. You pay for a game, you get the game. Valve doesn't owe you anything beyond this.
>>
>>339616070

Don't know why people still defend them. They haven't put out a new game in years, and the last game they did put out was shit.

This shitty DRM software is the only thing they have.
>>
File: 1452016345007.jpg (11 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
1452016345007.jpg
11 KB, 258x195
because of steam most retailers don't carry PC games anymore so I'm forced to use steam
>>
>>339616070
>I'm mad a company makes profit!
That's you. You're literally getting huffy over someone making money by providing a service.
>>
Better not use a credit card then because they also take a cut from your transaction.
>>
>>339617820

And the few places that do sell PC games come with a fucking code to redeem on Steam. No CDs, just a stupid fucking code.
>>
File: 1323496697964.jpg (450 KB, 2000x1542) Image search: [Google]
1323496697964.jpg
450 KB, 2000x1542
I am sorry that your game flopped but no amount of shitposting of other companies will save your shitty game Blizzshill.
>>
>>339617629
Truth.

Console fanboys want pc gaming to die because consoles are so badly outclassed in terms of hardware. They just want to fight other console users. More level playing field.
>>
Is there anyone who still sucks Valve and that obese fuck "Gaben" cock, though?

I've started using Steam a few months ago and it's pretty shitty and unremarkable, the only thing they've got going for them is that you can sell imaginary baseball cards to retards, and refunds
>>
>>339616070
>meanwhile GTA 5's spending budget was like 200-300 million incl. marketing expenditure

that just doesn't sound correct.
>>
>>339617892
I hate this shit. We need a good company to come and just produce dvds of all the latest PC releases.

Obviously skip indie shit.
>>
File: great.jpg (14 KB, 219x219) Image search: [Google]
great.jpg
14 KB, 219x219
oh look i'm not shilling at all >>339610483
it's just "coincidence"
>>
File: ea t shit.jpg (76 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
ea t shit.jpg
76 KB, 500x499
>>339618024
Kek at this tryhard ea employee
>>
File: Betrayedthedevils.jpg (354 KB, 1507x923) Image search: [Google]
Betrayedthedevils.jpg
354 KB, 1507x923
>>339616070

I agree with every point you've made and more, OP. Valve has truly fallen from grace. They may make more money than they ever did, but they sold their morals and ethics as a game developer to do so.

90% of /v/ will disagree with you and spout hate and meme's at you, but remember that most kids here were six or seven when Steam was released and may have been PC gaming with it on their machines for their entire lives.
>>
>>339618050
well fuck me looks like about 265 million. i thought it would have been higher. destiny was such a blunder it altered my perception of the entire industry
>>
File: (you).jpg (1 MB, 1270x1800) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
1 MB, 1270x1800
>>339618150
EA is shit too, bruh
How about you stop treating corporations as the father you've never had?
>>
Is it true they take all profit from the first 10 000 sales of a game?
>>
>>339618061
Do you know why Steam got big? It's because the vast majority of people prefer it to DVDs. There is no market for optical media on PC, many people don't even include DVD drives in their builds anymore.
>>
>>339618024

It's gotten so bad that they charge you for backgrounds and emotes and other stupid shit that should've been there from the start.

Basically you're paying money to make your profile look nicer. Valve really is the king of Jews. Not even Microsoft was ever this greedy. It's ironic because Gabe at one point used to work for them.
>>
>>339617285
Actually its one of the main arguments in favor of Capitalism.
>>
the best is the good old way of buying games in cd and you can run them whenever you want with out need of steam account(it's can be digital buying and downloading too just without steam)
>>
>drains 30% of profits
and you care..oh right because you are a shill
>>
>>339618269
Myself and a ton of other people still prefer physical media. I'd be all for digital if new releases cost less than physical, but that isn't a thing. They are still charging for the production costs which I won't support.
>>
>>339618286
Well one of the biggest reasons Gabe left was because he saw the potential behind the vidya industry and wanted to make his own Microsoft around that.

What basically happened was Gabe saw how great Doom was selling and said to himself "I wanna get in on that".
>>
>>339618474
>with the removal of manuals , games will be cheaper!
>with smaller boxes , games will be cheaper!
>with digital games , games will be cheaper!
>70€ games on digital stores
>>
>>339618412
You're a valve shill. Maybe he's an indie dev or something.
>>
File: GOLDENFARCE_XBOX.png (19 KB, 486x432) Image search: [Google]
GOLDENFARCE_XBOX.png
19 KB, 486x432
>>339618024
this desu, I wish I could pay for a shittier version of this service
>>
When is the Valve-hating meme going to end? Is it because people mistakenly considered them to be heavenly for so long?
>>
>>339618286
>Not even Microsoft was ever this greedy.
good joke
microsoft is the one that started selling pictures as "menus" for the fucking 360 and icons
>>
>>339618395
it's bedtime gramps, go take your pills
>>
>>339616070
>30%/10-15%
Yeah, and? So does every other company that sells things. Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc. They all make profits via selling other companies' products. What, are you gonna buy your toilet paper in bulk directly from the manufacturer or something?
>Net profit of 1B
Cool, that means they make money. I don't see how being successful is a bad thing.
>Employs only 350
I'd like to see your source for this, but even so that's pretty fucking impressive considering how big they are. They could do to hire more, yeah, but Gabe probably doesn't want to make a massive fucking supercorp or anything, as those tend to fall to corruption and bullshit.
>OS still in beta
Yeah, OS's from scratch tend to take time. Especially when you've got a small team.
>Steam slow/clunky
I think that's on your end, bro. I have a shitty potato computer and it runs pretty smoothly for me.
>no E3
Valve doesn't own PC. They don't decide what events E3 runs. They can do one for them, but they don't control PC shit.
>Abysmal customer support
I admittedly haven't worked with their CS before, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some say it's great, some say it sucks. I can't say one way or the other.
>Three years since DotA 2, no new games
Didn't they announce Left 4 Dead 3 recently?
>Confirmed HL3 not happening
No he didn't. Until he outright says "HL3 isn't happening." it is nothing but guesses and rumors at best.
>Monetize modding
You know monetized modding is just a way for modders to make money, right? The monetization thing was entirely up to them. If they didn't want to do it, they didn't have to.
>Destroyed TF2
TF2 is nearly 10 years old. The fact that it's lasted this long is a goddamn miracle. How many other FPSs (not IPs, single games) can say this? You think it would've lasted this long without cosmetics and new weapons? You're kidding yourself, bro.
>Console
You mean the company is putting a lot of it's effort into it's new idea that they have high hopes for? Shocker.
>>
>>339618603
>valve shill
yea , because pc have so many games worth buying in the last 10 years
wait . it doesn't
>>
>>339618636

Stupid people did. I always knew they were talentless cucks. All they do is sweep up mod makers and turn their products into shitty games (TF, CS). The one series they actually developed on their own wasn't even that great (HL), and the sequel was shit. Now that they've come out and said they won't be making games anymore, there's literally no reason to defend them anymore.

Valve is only after money. They don't make games anymore, nor do they deserve any respect.
>>
File: 1388567449321.jpg (43 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1388567449321.jpg
43 KB, 512x384
I'm glad at least on /v/ there are still those who see throught the shitty "le gaben is le god!!!!111" bullshit and expose Valve for the godawful company they really are.
Pretty benign by, say, EA standards, but still a shit company that doesn't deserves the type of literal worship it receives from retarded little valvedrone.
>>
>>339618636
the more popular something is, the more hate it will get on /v/
>>
>>339618286

>Not even Microsoft was ever this greedy.

LMAO.

You people are insane.
>>
>>339618887
Please try to guess how I know you're a redditard.
>>
>>339618636
>Is it because people mistakenly considered them to be heavenly for so long?
Pretty much, it's basically backlash of how Valve was considered the Medici Family of vidya and now that in these later years they are functioning more as a regular company people have become angry at them.
>>
>>339618887
>Valve is only after money.
just like every company for a decade
>>
>>339618474

>a ton of other people still prefer physical media.

Yeah but the vast majority of you will settle for digital releases so it literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>339618983

You're retarded. I don't even go to Reddit, and odds are I've been coming here for many more years than you have.
>>
File: UGeF0.jpg (89 KB, 790x685) Image search: [Google]
UGeF0.jpg
89 KB, 790x685
>>339618592
You realise that, due to inflation, that is actually genuinely cheaper than most NES games, right? The numbers (Around ÂŁ40, $60) are about the same as they were in the 80's and 90's, even much lower in a lot of cases.
>>
>>339616070
You know what's worse? I like to support them
>>
>>339616070
>>339618875
>Service subscriber
Literally the only way you can lose your games is if you do illegal shit like hacking, stealing or other shit you shouldn't be doing in the first place. They will never expire like Origin does, even if you never log in. They will never take your games away from you just to spite you. This has never happened once and never will.
>>
>>339619047
>I don't even go to Reddit
Then stop writing like a redditor.
>>
>>339618024
britfags will defend this
>>
>>339619023

Valve doesn't make games anymore. That's the difference. Learn to absorb and comprehend what you're reading.
>>
>>339619032
That's the point, we shouldn't have to settle. Valve and other digital retailers are cancer. I literally hope PC gaming dies.
>>
>>339618474
"a tonne" is still not the majority
>>
>>339618897
anyone "loyal" to any company is an idiot

Steam did good, going from a piece of shit that never worked to a piece of shit that offered cheap games

However now its a piece of shit that offers unfinished shit at shit prices filled with meme spamming shit posters
>>
>>339618260
Of course not
Indies would not survive
They always take 30%
>>
File: gaben.jpg (26 KB, 480x342) Image search: [Google]
gaben.jpg
26 KB, 480x342
>>339616070
>I'm sad that companies are making money: The Thread
>>
>>339616070
You guys realize that's how literally every store in the history of the word has worked right?

When you buy a pepsi at a store, the store get's a cut of the sale, it doesn't all go to pepsi.

Sometimes I worry about millennials complete lack of awareness of the world around them.
>>
>>339619080
>expire like Origin
uh no origin's games don't do this
>>
>>339619146
It doesn't need to make games anymore, the client is perfect.
>>
File: 1464201719340.jpg (123 KB, 700x1082) Image search: [Google]
1464201719340.jpg
123 KB, 700x1082
>>339618286
Same guy here, i've just used Enhanced Steam to get all the backgrounds for free so it didn't bother me, there was a lot more bullshit that bothered, like them pestering me for my fucking phone number

The emote/background market is pretty good though, i turned 20 bux in 200 just by buying gems and making anime game cards out of them
>>
>>339619281

Keep shitposting.
>>
>>339619167
That's not the point. Enjoy getting ripped off, and when Steam finally dies you'll have no games to play and all that wasted money gone.
>>
>>339618636

It's exactly that.
>>
>>339619256
They sure as fuck do. If you don't log into your Origin account in 1-2 years (I forget which) they will delete your account and all the games in it.
>>
>>339619148
what, exactly do you want and why do you feel anyone needs to give it to you? you sound 12. valve won't go back to physical media because its pointless and would only cause them to charge more for video games.
>>
>>339616070
>buy games for cheap, download them wherever whenever at full blast, cloud savegames too for many games
>get stuff like chat, overlay and cheevos on top
I don't see my downside
>>
>>339616919
he looks like gay stripper every time i see him at e3
>>
>>339619146
That's the thing though, I'm not sure if lack of making a product counts as wrongdoing.

Lazy absolutely, but not inherently bad.
>>
>>339619057
you realize it was the same 15 years ago?
>games used to be 20-40€ , and expansions for 15€
>now everything its 60-70€
sure . inflation
>game without manual , or box , 60€
>game with manual . and box , 60€ same year
sure , inflation shill
>>
>>339616734
Why can't they both be turboshits?
>>
>>339619057
NES games actually had relevant manufacturing costs. BDs in bulk are something like a cent each in a chinese sweatshop.
>>
>>339618887
> Half Life 2 is shit
No. No it fucking wasn't. Not by any standard.

It was a massive technological innovation at the time, with graphics and gameplay that still hold up decently today. It came to massive critical acclaim and almost everyone was baying for a sequel for over a decade.

I'd really like to hear what legitimate complaints you have about Half-Life 2.
>>
>>339616070
But this is normal for any distributor/store wtf
>>
>>339619329
>finally dies
any day now digital distribution is going to go the way of cable and cellphone service plans, just like when both those were crushed by their superior predecessors land-lines and putting fucking bunny-ears on top of my t
>>
>>339617563
>maintains the industry standard for publishing platform revenue division, and continues to have by far the most open platform out there
Even PS4/XboxOne platforms are more open because they give you an option to buy, own and sell a game
You can't sell your Steam games, and selling your account is against Terms of Service

>created a content sharing marketplace and then takes a cut from all user sales to pay themselves and the community creators of the content
For all of their 2 games. Remarkable

>maintains a low-profile private company with a massive R&D department to create technologies and share them with more freedom than anybody else in the marketplace (vive & their VR platform especially are incredibly open, [...]
Their VR platform is yet to be a success. For time being, it's a flop

>pioneered and proved the viability of the best F2P model—cosmetic only—without which the only people experimenting in the field at the inception of persistent monetization would have been fucking chink MMO's and the entire AAA landscape would look like cellphone game monetization
Cosmetic only monetization prevalent back when it was just called shareware

>maintains a no-charge digital distribution platform with a fully functional social media component and allows for user reviews on all products sold through it when the only competing platforms of any comparable quality continue to charge monthly subscription
Amazon had it for years, I fail to recognize it as a innovation

>allow devs to register steam-keys for their games to steam at 0 charge, so a dev can sell their game on their site and reap 100% of the profit and still allow their users to choose to register to steam
They give out keys for free to attract more fools to the platform and earn more money through their in-platform Store

>every once in a while their R&D efforts produces a game of immaculate quality
They don't need no more games since they already attracted most of PC gamers to their platform
>>
>>339619407
they do make a product. they make steam. and video games. and an os. you can hate those products but they're still products
>>
>>339619146
and thats a problem because...
sorry explain to me why the fuck you care if a company that its primary a distributor makes money . or games
>>
>>339619407
They started as a game dev and have moved on to distributer. I see no problem with this. Hell, Sega used to make consoles, now they're solely games and production. It's worked out (sorta) well for them since their consoles tended to get shit on by Nintendo and (later) Sony. The Dreamcast being a flop was the final nail in the coffin and now they just don't bother.
>>
>>339619394
1. Valve was never a physical media company
2. Not just me, the whole gaming community deserves better than what were getting
3. Why would it cost more when it's the exact same price as actual physical media right now?
>>
>10-15% on market tranations
They take 3%, and 2% goes to developers.

Also, 30% share with developer profits on the universe' #1 gaming software distribution store sounds like a fair trade.
>>
>>339619527
it's old

>>339619363
welp
time to log into origin for the first time in 2016
>>
>>339619556

They don't make games anymore. Are you literally retarded or are you just shitposting.
>>
>>339619556
I mean lack of making a specific product.
>>
>>339619527
Not him but
>unskippable pseudo-cutscenes, locking you in a room while exposition happens
>physics 'puzzles'
>vehicle sections
>wet noodle gunplay for many guns
>poor enemy variety
Replaying that game is an absolute slog
>>
>>339619594

Stop posting.
>>
>>339616070
Fuck off blizzcuck. Your game will be dead in a matter of weeks
>>
>>339619318
I was being honest, fuck off, valve wouldn't even do good games anymore, all they can do is keep raping TF2 and CSGO while getting profit from DOTArds. All modern gaming needs from Valve is their client.
>>
>>339618875
>Valve doesn't own PC. They don't decide what events E3 runs. They can do one for them, but they don't control PC shit.
This is something /v/ and sonyggers specially needs to learn, there is no company backing pc games anymore.
>>
>>339619654
>It's old
So is your mums cunt but you don't see me complaining.
>>
File: cidney.gif (2 MB, 430x440) Image search: [Google]
cidney.gif
2 MB, 430x440
>>339618614
Why would you want PSN/xbox live?
It's even shittier than Steam
>>
>>339619604
what do you mean by number 1? maybe i'm misunderstanding you but i distinctly remember a physical copy of half life floating around my house for years. the majority of the gaming community apparently likes steam or else it wouldn't still have a place in the market. and steam games tend to be cheaper than their console counterparts mayve not at release but the price drops significantly faster than an xbone game would.
>>
>>339618286
1. You pay about 10 cents at most for most backgrounds
2. You pay about 10 cents at most for most emotes (And why the fuck do you want them anyway)
3. Nobody is forcing you to buy these
4. You can sell the cards to other idiots for actual gain, sometimes positive gain when it comes to cheap-as-dick games
5. Microsoft charges you $5 for a profile pic (From a selection), $5 for the priviledge of P2P matchmaking (Every month), $5 for the priviledge of choosing your own fucking name (Unlimited name changes under Steam, can include whatever the fuck you want and be the same as other people).

Face it, contrarian. Valve aren't saints but they sure as hell are a whole lot better than some other publishers out there.
>>
>>339619527

It was a boring fucking game that was hardly like the first one. I bought it expecting to fight aliens again and instead got a bunch of retarded looking, mildly different soldiers with gasmasks.
>>
>>339619743
Not him, but they were showing off their new engine. The physics were, at the time, fucking ground-breaking. The fact that you could have different objects of varying densities or durability, with their own lighting and particle effects to boot? That shit was cutting edge.
>>
They have great sales though, I haven't paid more than 10 bucks for a game in years
>>
>>339619680
they made dota 2. it was a product they released and its a video game. you can say they didn't really develop it or that its not a real game or w/e but they did release it. and that was about 3 years ago.
>>
>>339619950
Yeah sure, but if you play the game now it's quite a mess, because the game isn't particularly subtle about showing off the engine and it just doesn't impress anyone nowadays while getting in your face constantly
>>
>>339616070
haven't really used steam at all in last 3 months,
>>
>>339619841
I mean that Valve never actually produced the physical media, neither do any publishers or developers. They send the data to a company that produces the DVDs and boxes.

All I want is for Steam or another company to do the same thing again, but with every major release.
>>
>>339619146
>Valve doesn't make games anymore. That's the difference

And why should I care? Are you one of those people who thinks I should stop buying games through their service and that will somehow force them into being developers again or something?
>>
>>339620083
>if you play old games, they're not as impressive as new ones
STOP. THE. FUCKING. PRESSES.
>>
>>339616070
They no longer care about their actual products. What a fucking shame, because I loved valve's projects.
>only 350 employees
>fucking billion dollar company
I just have to wonder, do they ever get bored?
>>
>>339619848
>1. You pay about 10 cents at most for most backgrounds

FUCK YOU THAT'S A LIE AND YOU KNOW IT
THIS HERE COST ME 40 DOLLARS
FUCK YOU GABEN FOR MAKING ME SPEND SO MUCH ON BACKGROUNDS
>>
>>339619848
>You pay about 10 cents at most for most backgrounds

lol, no you don't. Especially not for the good ones.

>You pay about 10 cents at most for most emotes

Again, not for the good ones.

>Nobody is forcing you to buy these

Nobody wants to be friends with someone who has a boring profile.

>You can sell the cards to other idiots for actual gain

True, but not much. Depends on the game.

Microsoft has never been as bad as Valve is now. Never ever. Charging $50 a year for online play is nothing.
>>
>>339616070
>Tried to monetize modding but backed out only due to a huge backlash from the community
>tried to
>tried
>tried
Nigga Dota 2 custom games passes are still around and as strong as ever, guess what that shit is straight up paying for mods. It is up to the mod devs to decide if they want their modes to be free for everyone with benefits for pass holders or just pass holder only
>>
>>339620040
This is literally the dumbest post on this site today.

Well played my good man
>>
>>339620112
yes... but they have to pay those companies... they won't go back to that because they have to spend more money and most people won't really care anyway. the only way they could get away with it from a commercial standpoint is if they called them collectors editions or some shit and charged a premium, which autists would bitch about.
>>
>>339620178
HL1 is still great
Because it doesn't get in your face about showing off some gimmick while fucking the pacing raw in the process
Quit being obstuse
>>
>>339620175

I don't care what you do. Just stop putting their dick in your mouth like anything they do nowadays warrants it.
>>
>>339620193

No one made you and you fucking deserve it.
>>
>>339620112
You're a minority though
Even if they charged like 10€ for it it'd hardly be worth the hassle of logistics
>>
The anti-Valve paid shills are out in force on /v/ today. Just report all these fucking threads.
>>
>>339620216
>It is up to the mod devs to decide if they want their modes to be free for everyone with benefits for pass holders or just pass holder only

that isn't how it works. valve clearly outlined that in regards to mod passes, they cannot offer features to mod pass holders that are not normal features. they can only expand features, like having a higher level cap more inventory space etc
>>
>>339620315
>Just stop putting their dick in your mouth like anything they do nowadays warrants it.

But who is doing this?

Is this one of those threads where everyone just yells at a strawman for 400 posts?
>>
>>339620193
I hope you don't realize that it can be bought for like $4 now
>>
>>339620197
>Microsoft has never been as bad as Valve is now. Never ever.
How old are you? Do you not remember when website development was stopped dead for years because of internet explorer's hold on the market?
>>
>>339620315
Not that guy, but following the quotechain, your argument seems to be I should hate Valve because they stopped making games? That makes no sense
>>
>>339620479

I sure do. But that has nothing to do with video games.
>>
>>339620446
I'm glad i sold mine for $30 before the price crashed
>>
>>339619148

You're right, you don't. All you have to do is not buy things on steam. But you (the people who prefer digital) did. Because you settled for it. Because having it being physical wasn't that big of a deal even though you preferred it.

Therefore it literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>339620525

My argument is you should stop blindly defending them anytime a thread like this pops up because, well, what exactly are you defending. Do you even know anymore?
>>
>>339620394
>>339620252
Out of the billions they make, this is just an impossibility? You think they would lose a significant sum of money from this? I don't think so, and neither should you.
>>
They don't make new games right now because they feel more safe by supporting established ones.

I really wanted them to support portal 2 more, but after their mucked effort to add MTs to the game, that option flew right out the window. At least we got one coop campaign and the multiverse update...
>>
File: 1450477381122.jpg (207 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1450477381122.jpg
207 KB, 920x900
>>339620396
>MMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMYYYYYYY, THEY'RE SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT VALVE ON THE INTERNET AGAIN
>>
most publishers take a much larger share, GOG takes the same share, humble takes a bit less
??? i got a card for doing nothing and sold it to some sucker for 30 cents, valve got a few, that makes them the bad guy?
>Net profit estimated around 1 billion US dollars per year (meanwhile GTA 5's spending budget was like 200-300 million incl. marketing expenditure, and all of that spanned across multiple years)
making money makes them morally bad?
>Employs only 350 people for entire Customer Support, R&D, Gamedev, Server administration, Web development and so on
350 people is bigger than many AAA developers?
>Still no E3 event dedicated to PC
how is this valve's fault?
>Destroyed original TF2 design to use it as a testbed for hats, crates and other jewish tricks that prints them money
if TF2 didn't have all those things then nobody would be playing it or developing it.
>Most of company investments are oriented to build a fucking CONSOLE around Steam and PC architecture
'most of company investments' = tweak a linux distro and get third-parties to make the hardware? how do you know that takes most of the company?

OP you've aired some legitemate greivances, like customer support, lack of games, paid mods, drm etc but the problem is you've mixed it in with a load of bullshit that barely makes any sense
>>
>>339620112
>All I want is for Steam or another company to do the same thing again, but with every major release.
Why on earth would a publisher suddenly muscle into the physical production?

Like fucking shit first off thats pants on head retarded specialized companies exist specifically to do this sort of thing and publishers give them money for it.
No single company can do everything so everyone pays each other to do different things, because
1) its far more efficient
2) WHY WOULD YOU WANT SUCH A HUGE MONOPOLY IN THE FIRST PLACE?
>you know what this world needs
>one corporations that controls EVERYTHING
>>
Yeah Valve is shit now but they proved one thing over their shitty lifespan, people WILL buy games if given a real service behind the DRM rather than just having DRM screw over paying customers
>valve is 100% the reason why every fucking game has puchasable lootcrates
fuck them, they actually ruined video games with this garbage trend
>>
ITT: companies being companies, making profit as they do.

If you want something better, make it. Otherwise you're stuck with what you got. No amount of crying will change that.
>>
>>339620660
I buy my games from Steam and I don't give a fuck about the company behind it
I'd buy all my games on fucking Origin if their library was as cheap and extensive, I don't care
>>
>>339620310
HL2 is great as well. HL1 was showing off physics too, in fact. You're just so used to it that you don't realize it now. Breaking boxes with your crowbar? Electrified water that you could turn off? Falling from a large height into water and not dying?
Also, HL1 had unskippable cutscenes and "waiting around for something to happen" parts too. Did you actually play the game?

HL1 and 2 have both set the industry standard multiple times. Stop getting huffy at things that were popular or new.
>>
>>339620667
it doesn't have to be a significant loss. any loss is unjustifiable to any marketing department if it doesn't come with some kind of gain in the long run, which market research seems to think is not the case otherwise it would still exist.
>>
>>339620698
>if TF2 didn't have all those things then nobody would be playing it or developing it.

So you admitting what everyone else knew from the start; that TF2 was never good and is overrated.
>>
>>339619743
>unskippable pseudo-cutscenes, locking you in a room while exposition happens
Fair enough, though at least you can look around and fiddle with physics bits. They provide pacing, preventing players from getting too burned out from their massacre.

>physics 'puzzles'
Eh, I could have done without them, but again, they break up the shooting and showed off the cool new engine. Maybe a bit redundant today, but it was hella impressive back then.

>vehicle sections
Vehicle sections that were fairly varied and had wildly different gameplay to the rest of the game - again, they broke the game up and helped to add variety, while overall being only supplementary to the core gameplay of running around and killing aliens.

>wet noodle gunplay for many guns
Eh. It gets the job done, especially when you turn the volume a little higher. It was very similar to pretty much all the other games at the time.

>poor enemy variety
Well, they do change what weapons they get often, and they make decent enough enemies; it gives players enough time to learn the ins and outs of the enemies that are there. At the very least, it has more variety that a lot of other games, which have, across the entire game, nothing but dudes with the same few guns, occasionally a vehicle or two. HL2 does way better than that.

Well, to each his own.
>>
>>339620479
Or, you know, putting FUCKING SPYWARE IN YOUR FUCKING OS? Or actively plotting to destroy and discredit their competitors? Or lying and cheating to get their way?

Microsoft is thousands and thousands of times more evil than pretty much any other company.
>>
>>339620781
If you had read any of my previous posts maybe you wouldn't sound like such a moron.

If you think Steam isn't already the corporation that controls all of PC gaming you've got your head up your ass. Face reality.
>>
>PCucks
>>
>draining profits from developers to host their dedicated servers to allow customers to download thousands of gigs worth of their games 24/7
Wow what a bunch of jews
>>
What the fuck did you morons expect?
This happens to every medium that becomes popular and large enough. They stop giving a shit about the rest of us because its big enough and popular enough to.

This shit cycle will never stop.
>>
Oh my god, who fucking cares you damn assburger, they provide games cheaply and convenient, and give indie devs a platform that doesn't require them to sell their soul and firstborn child to a publisher. Also with the review system you have a relatively good idea about how shit or not shit the game you want to buy is.

If you hate steam so much, go install fucking origin for all I care, you will have to offer them your dick as sacrifice though to actually play the games.
>>
>>339620950

Not an argument. None of that is related to video games, which is what I'm talking about.
>>
>>339619809
POW
>>
>>339620667
i have literally millions of pennies in the bank and yet i don't throw them out my window every morning do i? why not? surely chucking a few hundred out every quarter wouldn't hurt me much.
>>
>>339616603
Holy shit who is this biker vampire
>>
>>339620979
>If you think Steam isn't already the corporation that controls all of PC gaming you've got your head up your ass. Face reality.
Lmaoing@ur life
You are so fucking wrong about everything it hurts
>>
>>339621032
>they provide games cheaply and convenient

What you don't understand is that they have to, otherwise people would be outraged. It's already stated in their log or whatever that you don't really own any of those games that you buy from Steam. You're just renting them.

If you woke up tomorrow and Steam didn't exist anymore, neither would "your" games.
>>
>>339621180
Read the license agreement when you install any game whatsoever
You don't own anything
>>
>>339616070
Because its the lesser of 3 evils (Microcock and Sony).
Aslo, we have gog and Humblebunle as alternatives.
>>
>>339621141
Do you really think Origin or Ubisoft is making as much money as Steam is? Even GOG is nothing compared to Steam. Almost every PC gamer is buying everything from Steam. To me, that seems like control over the PC gaming market.
>>
>>339621283

That's what I just said.
>>
>>339616070
What are you, a fucking commie?
>>
>>339621180
>It's already stated in their log or whatever that you don't really own any of those games that you buy from Steam. You're just renting them.
The exact same thing applies for physical media you goddamn nigger.

Bought a DVD? Guess what fucknugget this doesn't mean you own Frozen, you own the physical storage device used to carry the data you are still buying a licence to watch the movie at home.
You never owned shit when it came to IPs, it's just far easier to enforce with an all digital system.
>>
>>339621319
I'm talking outside of steam, you fuckmuppet
>>
File: what a shame.jpg (9 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
what a shame.jpg
9 KB, 178x178
>>339620479

>Microsoft has never been as bad as Valve is now. Never ever. Charging $50 a year for online play is nothing.

Let me get this straight.

You are legit arguing that overpriced wallpapers that you don't need to buy and that other platforms have (even for fucking regular desktops, there are websites out there that sells Desktop Wallpapers) is WORSE than having to pay an OBLIGATORY extra fee to be able to play online the games you already paid for?

Really? Is this how insane Valve haters have become?
>>
>>339620979
>controls all of PC gaming
I'm sorry, what? Are you actually drunk right now?
>League of Legends, arguably one of the most-played PC games in the world right now, is run by Riot and is not on Steam
>Tons of Korean F2P MMOs that aren't on Steam
>Most of EA's shitfest games are on Origin exclusively
>Windows Live bullshit
They don't control shit. They are the most popular platform to buy games on, but they're not some fucking evil corporation with a monopoly on digital goods. Take off the tinfoil hat, dude.
>>
>>339620197
> Nobody wants to be friends with someone with a boring profile
There are plenty of "Interesting" profiles that you can use that cost 3 pence (About 5 cents?)

> Good emotes
Why the fuck are you using emotes? The most expensive ones are shitty gimmicks

Nobody is forcing you to buy expensive, shitty backgrounds.

> Not much
If it's a game with $20 backgrounds you can sure as hell bet the cards will be worth enough

> Microsoft has never been as bad as Valve is now

That is a fucking lie and you know it.
> GFWL
> FORCING you to pay $50 a year for online play, $50 that could be spent on, you know, games. Or food.
> Again, making you PAY MONEY to change your name. You don't even to get choose your name in the first place, the XBox gives you one. And yes, I know, you pick from a selection, but that isn't much better.
>>
>>339620686
>GoG suddenly releases a function that will "persuade" people to try games on Galaxy instead
>these threads come up one after the other
Totally legitimate posters, fellow /v/ users.
>>
>>339620660

And you should stop blindly attacking if there is nothing of worth to criticize for.
>>
>>339621393

Oh, well that's false. So long as my consoles continue to function, I will always be able to play my games, even in 20 years from now.
>>
>>339621517
Windows Live still exists?
Also, doesn't Ubisoft have their own thing as well? Not sure if they have any exclusive games on there
>>
>>339621373

Just... shut up. You're so stupid it hurts.
>>
>>339621314

Yeah look at all of those people playing Overwatch, Hearthstone, League of Legends, World of Warcraft and Battlefield on Steam!

What a monopoly!
>>
>>339621638
Same is true for Steam games
I know what you're saying (you can't download them anymore) but that's a false equivalence, you also wouldn't be able to download any console games anymore if the companies who provide the servers stop existing
You do back up your Steam games, right?
>>
>>339621770
6 games

6 games compared to the thousands available on Steam that are played every day.

Quit acting like you know something.
>>
>>339621582
>b-but gog

Have you considered the possibility some people simply don't worship your DRM contraption?

I'm not even comparing steam with other shitty services, why is that so many of you are bringing up garbage like sony/microsoft/EA/ubisoft?

Just because Steam is the least shitty one, it doesn't makes them good
>>
>>339621180
You are a retard. If you want to actually own your games, order them on amazon, and pray to god they don't have any online features. Oh and order a DVD drive for your computer while you are at it.

If you care so much about your games only existing as long as steam exist, fucking apt-get your shitgames on your latest meme version of linux and get out of my face.

By the way, did you know if you woke up tomorrow and your computer didn't exist anymore, your games would be gone too? Better sue god for locking you into his shit DRM.
>>
>>339616420
>distribution platform
I don't want a platform, I just want to buy and own games. Amazon doesn't make me check in with them and use some proprietary client just to play games I bought from them.
>>
>>339620885
No, you fucking faggot.

Interest for a game, no matter how good it is, will eventually die down as new, shinier and cooler games are released. At some point, most people who want the game will have bought it. At this point, there isn't really much point supporting the game for free any more - that's what DLC and expansions were for.

By adding microtransactions, Valve keeps making money from TF2 despite not having to fragment the community with map packs, like many developers do to this day. So they have kept updating the game and supporting it even now.

Would you rather Valve adopt the Activision approach? What about the Ubisoft approach? Would that be any better?
>>
>>339621917
Need for Speed, Battlefield, Fifa....
>>
>>339621831

No. Not at all.

You're in denial, friend.
>>
>>339621743
You actually think, you OWN the things you buy with physical CDs?
Nigga at least do a basic google search on IP law because you fucking don't and you never did.

You own the DISC the data came on, you have ALWAYS bought a LICENCE to use that data, EULAs have been around (guess what the acronym means) way before digital distribution.
>>
>>339621743
if steam goes down you're still entitled to the license because you paid for it, right? or do they say in the disclosure that you don't? because what he said about dvds is true. but by his logic if i scratch my cd i'm not entitled to a new one, but if it comes scratched i am so if i delete my account its all gone but if steam goes down its their fault and i'm entitled to compensation, right?
>>
>>339621726
Yeah, though they're starting to realize they're idiots and nobody wants to use it, so they're phasing it out I believe.
As for Ubi, no clue. I haven't played one of their boring rehashes in years.
>>
>>339619329
when steam finally dies, if it ever happens in this milennia, ill just use offline mode.
>>
>>339621998
Neither does Steam
I don't understand the amount of people who launch their games through the Steam client and then complain as if that's the only way to start them instead of a shortcut
>>339622064
What?
>>
>>339619193
>Steam did good, going from a piece of shit that never worked to a piece of shit that offered cheap games

Steam normalized the practice of charging for downloads the same as for a boxed retail copy. Actually most games over here cost more on steam than in a store. And those amazing super-low discounts are for games several years old that you'd find in the discount section of the store in some "golden hits" re-release series in plain DVD cases, just as cheap. Oh wait, I forgot nobody releases boxed games anymore.
>>
>>339622064
He's correct though
The 'owning a license' part is same for physical and digital media
The only difference is how the data is brought to you, either on a disk or by download, that you can then copy on a hdd and keep forever
Some games on Steam also use DRm just like some 'physical' games also use DRm, requiring an online check-in before you're able to play
>>
>>339616070

I remember the days you could sell/trade your old/completed games on after finishing them etc, not anymore :^)

tl;dr dead money
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1316x583) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1316x583
>>339621917

Mere 6 games that have an incredible huge chunk of players. You argued for "most players" and I'm saying that it is bullshit. Valve doesn't even own the games that have the largest player pools on the planet.
>>
>>339620885
i think you're reading too much into my post, friend. i'm simply stating that a steady stream of new stuff will significantly prolong the life of any online game, and the changes made to tf2 (even the negative ones, like the hat economy) are what have facilitated that

>>339621592
>>339620660
i think these posts really sum up the argument, a lot of people on this board just blindly attack or blindly defend steam and there seems to be no room for a middle ground in which you accept that steam has positive and negative consequences
>>
>>339621975

What are you even talking about. When I go to the store and buy a console game, pay at the register and walk out, that product is now mine. And so long as my console continues to function, I will be able to play said game whenever I want. The same cannot be said of Steam games because they're all digital and are tied to Steam. I don't care what fatfuck Gabe says, because he's lying. You really think there's a secret button somewhere that's just going to magically give over a million people access to all the games they've purchased over the years?

You're delusional, Mr. Mustard.
>>
File: 1464651000724.jpg (3 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1464651000724.jpg
3 KB, 124x125
Haters hating because they aren't succesful
>>
>>339622101
its not being phased out really, just rebranded like how internet explorer is "dead" and they released edge which is just an upgrade. they're working on some cross platform xbone/pc bullshit now afaik.
>>
>>339622101
Me neither, I just know about it because I had to install it for Trials Evolution and Driver San Francisco
I remember unlocking trophies or achievements or whatever and using the points to get new cars in Driver
>>
>>339622086

No. Shit. Do you know what that is even referring to? It's basically there so people know that if they make copies and sell them to other people and get caught that they can get in trouble for it. No other reason.

VHS tapes used to have it too.
>>
>>339622283
>that product is now mine
No it isn't
Guess what happens when you plug that CD in and click "accept" when that annoying message shows up to tell you some dumb shit?
That's the EULA (End Users LICENCE Agreement) and you have to sign it, and it explicitly states that you own jack shit.
>>
>>339622283
that dvd is yours. the data on it is not. if you buy a picasso reprint you don't own that image his estate (or whoever has the rights) does.
>>
>>339622283

You do realize that it is within their right to update you console to block further access to that game right?

Obviously they won't do it, just like Steam won't, but it is totally within their rights.
>>
>>339622386
So glad we are on the same page, you never owned shit when it came to media, you owned the physical storage device use to deliver the media to you, but you were ALWAYS LICENCING the media. This is nothing new
>>
>>339622283
Fucking consoles, CONSOLES. Are you even serious, they became glorified PCs a decade ago. You don't own fucking shit on your console, you can't even connect to the internet without a monthly fee, this is how much of your game you own. You literally pay a company money so it unlocks your internet connection between your shitheap of a console and your ISP whom you already pay out your ass for your internet.
>>
>>339622550

No such thing.
>>
>>339616070
because steam is a good service that carries tons of games and has good discounts and deals.
Why should I care how they use their money. it's not like they're fucking using it to create a jewish baby seal clubbing factory.
>>
File: 1440082235302.png (231 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1440082235302.png
231 KB, 554x439
>>339622646

Whatever makes you sleep at night.
>>
>>339622604
Meanwhile, at Nintendo.

:^)
>>
>>339622604

Why do you think that anyone who owns a modern console also has a internet connection? Why do you also think that consoles require one?
>>
If the whole license agreement thing didn't exist, you could probably sue for lack of backwards compatibility (on PC, that is), right?
>>
>>339622765
no because you chose to upgrade and the manufacturer of the game is not responsible for the manufacturer of your os deciding to release a new version.
>>
>>339622765
Not really no, especially as long as they explicitly state what OS you need to have to run a thing.
You can't use your local hardware store because you new lawnmower blade doesn't fit on your 30 year old lawn mower. YOU made the choice to upgrade to a later OS, so as long as the publisher of any given game didn't say something as retarded as "It will always work even on new OSes" they will be fine.
>>
File: 1419977043901.gif (491 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
1419977043901.gif
491 KB, 500x317
>>339622762
You need internet to update the system and games and also to play online and more importantly shitpost ov /v/.

Pic related is you.
>>
>>339622762
More than half the content of the AAA steaming piles they call games is gated behind an internet connection. There's like 10 hours of single player content in those games, have fun I guess.
>>
>>339622386
And guess fucking what. If you make a copy of a digital game and sell it to other people, or give it out for free... YOU can get in trouble for it too! (Well, technically.)

If you back up your downloaded game, you can play it even if the service goes down (And with the money Valve is pulling, that seems unlikely any time soon). And complaining about your hard drive breaking or losing your backups, and the service being down so you can't download them again, being a downside compared to physical media is stupid. It's like saying that it sucks that you can't watch a movie if the disk breaks, and guess what? Physical media fixes that! If your hard drive breaks and your copy gets lost, you can download it again. It was a common complaint with physical media.

If it has DRM, then guess what? The physical version was probably going to have some form of DRM as well. Steamworks DRM is at the very least a hell of a lot better than a lot of the solutions that came before - anyone remember SecuROM?

And you CAN play your games offline - Offline mode exists for a reason.
>>
>>339622447
Oh right, I'll remember that when Ubisoft drives by my house and tries to take back the retail copy I bought. They'd be answered with a shotgun to their face
>>
>>339622757
You can have a lot of fun with a toaster if you are still 8 years old inside your head, so you win with this one.
>>
you do relize that Steam is the reason PC Gaming still exists, right?
>>
>>339622743
There literally isn't, retard
They can ban whatever online account you have, but nothing stops you from making a new one. The disc itself will never be useless
>>
>>339623084
>anyone remember SecuROM
I don't remember, did that also have a "you may only install this 5 times" limitation or did that shit come later?
>>
>>339620686
>Darwin

Is this implying that console gamers are creationists?
>>
>>339623083

Is Fallout 4 one of them? Because my console is offline and I've been playing it just fine.

>>339623074

You don't NEED it at all. You can go to the store right now and buy a PS4 and a few games and it'll work without an internet connection. So long as you don't mind playing by yourself.
>>
>>339623204
Lmao keep trying to false flag if you think it will make you look any less retarded
Fact of the matter is you know jack shit about anything, shut your retarded whore mouth before you make an even larger ass of yourself
>>
File: 1448513130123.png (416 KB, 863x741) Image search: [Google]
1448513130123.png
416 KB, 863x741
wait.... are you actually hating on steam sales? the fuck kind of corporate ass kisser are you?
>>
>>339623296
Neither will my hard drive with the game files
It's also cute of you to ignore console download-only games
>>
>>339622283
yes there is a button and is not so secret, its called offline mode
>>
>>339623204
Let me put it this way; the chances that Ubisoft will actually come over and take your physical copy are about the same as Valve ever taking your games away. Even if they are unpurchasable, anyone who owned it keeps it. Not once has Valve mass-removed a game from people, or even upgraded it to a version they might not want. Your fears that your digital games will be taken away are just as valid as your fears that Ubisoft will come to your door.
>>
>>339616070
>that just wastes your fucking money
None of your points imply that they waste my money.
>>
>>339623349
So you're saying the publisher can come to my house and take back the disc I bought if I breached a EULA? Nah man you're retarded
>>
>>339623084

I can't wait to see your and other people's reaction when Steam finally dose cease to exist and all your games disappear.

>w-what i-i-i can't believe it g-gaben lied to me ;_____;
>>
>>339623405
No he just thinks bandwith, servers and well everything really is free, and that steam is for some reason not allowed to take a cut from the sales like literally every other store in existence.
>>
>>339616434
as he and all other men on earth should be entitled to, especially after all hes done. Fuck gamers are such entitled little assholes
>>
>>339623207
Shit on WiiU all you want, but I'm not wrong. They're the only company that still offers free internet connectivity with their consoles. Not to mention the 3DS is still a massive powerhouse of money-making abilities. Also with free internet connectivity.
>>
>>339623328
>Buy Overwatch and Battlefront play it offline
What about DLCs? Game update?
>>
>>339623481
>g-guys I totally own the things I bought because it was on a CD
Welcome to way before you were even born fucknugget, IP law has been like this before your father killed himself for having such a complete and utter failure of a son.
>>
>>339623481
no but they can sue the shit out of you if you do anything with that license that you agreed not to
>>
>>339623328
The 90's called they want your playstation back.
>>
>>339623468
Speaking of unpurchasable games, anyone know why they stopped selling Chronicles of Riddick?
>>
>>339623621

I don't own either so I don't know what their deal is, but I do know they're games that are meant to be played with other people.

DLC comes bundled with their respective games after a while, and game updates aren't really necessary.
>>
>>339616070
Valve released a game 2 months ago, ea shill
>>
>>339616070
>Remind me again why you still support this incompetent company that just wastes your fucking money
But i am not supporting them anymore.
>>
>>339616070
>Remind me again why you still support this incompetent company that just wastes your fucking money

Because there is no real alternative. No other digital distribution platform offers the amount of games. There's no way around steam, especially if you've already been using it for years.

It's kinda like eating meat. Everyone knows how it's produced under disgusting conditions, but nobody gives a shit because there's no real alternative. GOG is like a vegan burger: It's more ethical, but it just isn't the real thing (yet). People will eventually switch once there's a competitive alternative, just like people are now finally ditching Skype, Hamachi and Fraps.
>>
>>339624095

In other words Valve has everyone by the balls, which is even more reason to hate them.
>>
>>339623905
>DLC comes bundled with their respective games after a while
That's right after a while, we still don't have dark souls 3 dlcs and witcher 3 dlc just released.

Will you rather wait 3 years for the complete bundle rather than just have a cheap internet connection?
>>
>>339623605
Sure, you are absolutely right. The games are still for 8 year olds though, but the business practices are ok as far as I'm concerned. I guess soccer moms and NEET autists have more money to spend than other people playing video games.
>>
>>339616070
>>Employs only 350 people for entire Customer Support, R&D, Gamedev, Server administration, Web development and so on

>Reddit still believes HL3 is happening
>>
>>339617563
>implying steam invented content sharing marketplaces

>implying the dividend between profit cut for the creator is even fucking close to comparable to many other platforms that exist, such as user-created content in Second Life where users retain 99% of the profit of their sales with a 1% marketplace listing fee, or even the Unreal 4 engine being practically free for gamedevs before a certain lifetime sale point for an otherwise cheaper licensing deal.

valve is jews, steam is jews, gabe newell is a jew-loving mormon.
>>
>>339624179
Yeah, but what are you gonna do? Not use steam? Good luck with that.
>>
>>339623328
> Actually playing Fallout 4
But regardless, you can download the game and then play in Offline mode.

Also
> You can buy a PS4 and a few games and it'll work without internet
Have fun playing without the Day 1 patch. This is a false equivalence, how do you expect Valve to give you the game without an internet connection? Mail you a DVD?

>>339623605
Have fun playing Fallout 4, the latest CoD or any of the games your friends are playing on any of those consoles.

>>339623879
They stopped selling what? That was the movie with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, right? Was that the movie tie-in?

>>339623297
Eeeeeeyup
Also broke your hard drive and fucked up your PC if you had certain software. Denuvo is nothing compared to this crap.

>>339623507
Valve will collapse when Coca-Cola and McDonald's do. Microsoft and Sony have just as much right to update your console with a patch to totally brick it, or prevent you from playing a game. And if they shut down the servers, then that's it, no more online. On PC, you'll probably still be able to play on community-made servers.
>>
>>339624095
>ditching hamachi
for what? im uninformed, haven't played a game that requires LAN in a while
>>
>>339616070
There are many points i approve. i hate steam most for

>Destroyed original TF2 design
>On top of that, you still don't own your games - you're just a service subscriber
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.