[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So did this end up being any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Mario_&_Luigi_-_Paper_Jam_(NA).png (3 MB, 1863x1704) Image search: [Google]
Mario_&_Luigi_-_Paper_Jam_(NA).png
3 MB, 1863x1704
So did this end up being any good?
>>
>>339596316
It ended up watering down both franchises even more than they already were.
>>
It's alright. The story is ridiculously bland to a crazy degree, but it has great pacing (something which DT missed) and fun fights.
>>
>>339596316
Not bad, but still the worst game since PiT.
>>
>>339596316
gameplay wise it was great, but story wise it was bleh, but not the standard for the series now, like some anons here still think. This game does no real harm to the mario & luigi series, so it's okay, I guess.
>>
Best bosses and gameplay in the series

Story and world was very boring though
>>
It's mediocre. They could have made up Paper Mario entirely for this game and it wouldn't have made a difference. The areas all have really empty and uninspired layouts presumably so they could stuff toad hunts in them. There's some good bosses but mob combat drags on in the later half because it feels like enemies take forever to take attack, with the fire bros being some of the worst.
>>
>>339596316
It was fine, probably my least favorite in the series. Gameplay was really good, the cards were a nice addition but the areas, enemies & story were boring as hell. The writing is good though at the very least. Paper Mario feels way more like a tool as opposed to a character but is so satisfying to use when battling due to his multiple jumps. The Toad missions & Paper Craft can go fuck itself, I did not find that shit fun at all.
>>
File: ML Ninji.gif (23 KB, 57x42) Image search: [Google]
ML Ninji.gif
23 KB, 57x42
The overworld and story are pretty bland, but the rest of the game makes up for it. The gameplay is the best in the series, the bosses are fantastic and can even be remotely challenging, and they took the usual Mario characters and made them actually interesting and full of personality. Like, Bowser Jr. is one of the best characters in the game, how often can you say that? The two Peaches talking to each other about their kidnappings is hilarious.
Music is pretty great too, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRTCR3Flck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzySusIS5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHDtLy407ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTqDqv5ghc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L150PCOGI3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GphACo5c0Y0
>>
>>339596316
Good combat and shit everything else.
The complete lack of story and characters and locations not taken from NSMB are particulary offensive.
>>
>>339596316
I wish the combat system had more Paper Mario elements other than Blocking and a Secondary Mana system
>>
>>339596316
bump
>>
File: WVW69jHKEuoclTg3v7.jpg (198 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jHKEuoclTg3v7.jpg
198 KB, 400x240
>>
>>339596316
story is a 5/10 at best, it's a breath of fresh air to see Bowser with his shenanigans again, fuck paper toads
Soundtrack is 10/10
Gameplay is 10/10, the bosses and enemies are the best yet, the only complain is that there's not a lot of variety of normal enemies
>>
It's the worst of the M&L series but still pretty alrighr
>>
>>339601545
Couldn't be worse than PiT.
>>
>>339601545
Not when there's Partners in Time
>>
AlphaDream knows the story was as because they struggled writing a story that wasn't stupidly long, so I'm sure M&L6 will be back to form.

Best combat in the series.
>>
>>339598669
Dodge and BP have existed since SSS. It's nothing new for M&L even if PM did it first.
>>
2/10
Starlow is the worst thing to happen to the series.
>>
>>339602447
He said blocking, as in when you press the X button everyone blocks so you take less damage. As for secondary mana I think he's referring to the trio attack which feature Paper-related stuff.
>>
>>339602447
I think he means the block that reduces damage that was added in this game. I think you press Y when you're being attacked, I can't remember which button it was.
>>
>>339596316
Not really.
>>
>>339596316
If you like mini-games more than RPG ganeplay, then sure.
>>
File: image.png (843 KB, 701x896) Image search: [Google]
image.png
843 KB, 701x896
Unless your a fucking sperg, it's a great game

Get it out of your head that there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make a Mario Style RPG with a Mario Plot

It was the perfect excuse to do one with the concept of 2 different worlds

The streamlined feel is great, the game play's fantastic and the interactions and writing are just as great as you expect them to be.

The only real annoyance is Toad missions and how often you find yourself doing it, but I personally perfer these overworld missions compared to the numerous fuckfest of gimmick controls you were given in Bowser's Inside Story

Another relief is the fact that your not forced for touch screen and gyro, they are removed entirely, you don't even tilt your 3DS for the Papercraft Mario sections, it's a nice feel to have knowing you don't have to do that shit
>>
Good writing, great battling, godawful padding.

It's ehh overall.
>>
>>339603810
>Unless your a fucking sperg, it's a great game

Unless you're missing brain cells it is an average to low game at best.
>>
Better than Sticker Star and Dream Team, at least.
>>
>>339604134
He makes good points though, and let's not act like the plot in other M&L games were masterpieces of storytelling. The only that did anything remotely fun and unexpected was SSS.
>>
>>339603810
>Get it out of your head that there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make a Mario Style RPG with a Mario Plot
I understand why it was done but it still makes the game really boring. RPGs (including Mario ones) are at their best when they have a fleshed out world with a neat story & having a neat story can still be a Mario plot, they don't even need to go far with it.
>>
>>339596745
>but it has great pacing
I'm a bit astounded at what passes for "great pacing" nowadays.

Although I suppose maybe my issue wasn't the pacing, it was that it was repetitive as fuck.
>>
>>339605069
It's a fast game that doesn't keep you in the same place for long or make you backtrack a lot.
>>
>>339596316
Papercraft battles suck ass. In DT and BiS, I was always looking forward to the giant Luigi/Bowser battles. In this, the Papercraft battles are a fucking chore and a half.
>>
I found it so fucking boring, even the combat. Got to Bowser's castle and dropped it.
>>
>>339604230
This. I realized that this game was enjoyable because of the lack of the 2D sections that plagued Dream Team, as well as the darned gyro-controls.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.