[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Majora's Mask was developed in one year. Skyward Sword
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 1262323248530.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1262323248530.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
Majora's Mask was developed in one year.

Skyward Sword took five, the Wii U one is going to be SIX fucking years.

The PS2 Metal Gears took 2-3 years to make.

Phantom Shit took fucking SEVEN.

The only way we can have great games again is by cutting back on graphics, you can ignore the PC retards who think good graphics just grow on trees.

Would it be possible to take graphics a step backwards for big games like these? Would they still sell enough?
>>
>>339592104
I don't think the new fancy graphics are to blame for the recent Zelda delays.
>>
I think in the case of Majora's Mask it's because the game reused a lot of material from Ocarina of Time, anon. They had the engine, models and graphics all prepared and just had to tweak and reassemble them.
>>
>>339592332
Making a big game with PS3 visuals is a monolithic task for Nintendo, they can do alright with the smaller ones with less shit to render like Mario Kart, but they just aren't capable of it with a game like Zelda.

Kills me to think that the Wii U could've had two Zelda games all of it's own if graphics weren't such a concern. The singular HD re-releases are just an insult, especially at full price.
>>
>>339592527
In Majora's Mask case they also got to use ideas that they couldn't realize with OoT.
>>
>>339592527
Well there is also that, I think they should've just pumped out a Zelda with the Skyward Sword engine in HD.

If Konami hadn't wasted half a decade on the Fox Engine we might've gotten a MGS5 in 2011.
>>
>>339592104
Fucking retard it was 26 years ago you dumb faggot
>>
Graphics are the most important part of a game, I can't even play PS3 games anymore as they look awful so stfu, dunno why ppl keep telling themselve this lie that graphics don't matter, maybe youre poor,
>>
>>339592104
But i'm a PCtard and I think there is a correlation between good graphics and shit gameplay.
>>
>>339592104
>Would it be possible to take graphics a step backwards for big games like these?
No. Because welcome to capitalism. Capitalism ruined videogames
>>
>>339593205
Sonycucks e'erybody.
>>
>>339592104
I agree, they need to cut back on budget (specifically on graphics budget) and focus on gameplay
>>
>>339593205
>so stfu
>>
>>339592104
>good graphics just grow on trees
good engine design and aesthetic choices can make good graphics quite economical.

The thing that is blowing out development time is the increased scope of games, things like populating the world and making it interactive, and making fuckhuge open world maps.

Dev teams in the hundreds also leads to significant overhead. I work in a dev team of 4 people, 1 team, for a b2b software product. I couldn't imagine having to coordinate with multiple teams with tens of devs each.
>>
>>339593205
Underage confirmed.
>>
>>339593615
This is the reason alot of wii games looked good despite bad hardware.
>>
>>339592104
Will we ever get another Zelda that isn't "collect 3 ancient objects and go get the Master Sword" ever again?
ALTTP formula has been done to death just fucking stop already. Even Majora's Mask which was technically the same thing but without the Master Sword was better than it
>>
>>339592104
Zelda U begun development in 2013 at some point, actually
>>
>>339592104
i blame the love of graphics it HAS TO BE REALISTIC
>>
>>339593971
i want to hate this trope but i'm honestly never bored of it when I'm playing the game. Zelda games are so well made that you can't even remember how good it is until you're playing it
>>
>>339593205
nice bait
>>
There needs to be a limit to how simple graphics need to be though. I'm getting real fucking sick of these 8-bit indie games.
>>
>>339592104

MORE POLYGONS = MORE YEARS BRO!
>>
>>339592104
People always blame graphics.

It is predominantly still true, however the obsessions with 'LENGTH' and 'DURATION' of how long it takes to complete a video game is also cancer.

Quality of the experience is all that matters and that's dictated by strong mechanics, ageless artstyle and good objectives.

Old platformers are pretty short compared to modern standards and they're still a lot more fun because they aren't unnecessarily padded out to appeal to duration-fags.
>>
>>339594003
They started blueballing with that Zelda U video in fucking 2011, a Zelda game is the main course of a nintendo console, it should be out early-mid cycle, so 2014. in the case of the Wii U.
>>
File: reee.png (97 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
reee.png
97 KB, 500x500
>>
>>339593971
Three dungeons to get used to the game, followed by the evolution of core gameplay mechanics is what makes Zelda so great though. WW opened the world after its third dungeon and let you explore every island, OOT had adult link, ALTTP had dark world, and TP had the bridge and wolf at will. MM was a change of pace in that it threw you into the deep end right after the first cycle/tutorial, but it also expected you to already know the mechanics and controls from OOT.
>>
>>339594248
Actually it's the textures that take the most time.

Go look at the 6000 people credited in an AssCred game, and over half of them are texture artists in some slave workshop in China.
>>
>>339592795
The sole purpose of these images is to make everyone who views said image do some math.
This image was created by a math teacher.
>>
>>339593709
>taking bait

Welcome to 4chan.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.