[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the better game and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: sm64oot.png (186 KB, 526x200) Image search: [Google]
sm64oot.png
186 KB, 526x200
Which is the better game and why?
>>
>>339591979
BUT FIRST
>>
>>339591979
Mario 64 was more revolutionary, and it is amazing to see how dynamic (or broken) the game engine is. I'm eagerly awaiting Pannenkoek2012's zero A-press 120 star run.

I think Ocarina Of Time is more enjoyable to simply play though. It shows its age, sure, but it's still incredibly engrossing even to this day.
>>
File: 1464468072910.jpg (2 MB, 1311x2810) Image search: [Google]
1464468072910.jpg
2 MB, 1311x2810
To compare them is EXTREMELY hard. One is about movement options and using your surroundings to hop through an obstacle course, and the other is a puzzle dungeon crawler with a huge emphasis on story. Which do I personally prefer? Super Mario 64.

Which is objectively better? They are both incredible games with mechanics that still hold up to this day. They defined the 3D version of their respective genres, paving the way for generations of games that came after them.

But seriously, Banjo Kazooie or Mario 64?
>>
>>339591979
Mario 64 because its all about the gameplay. OOT takes too long to get semi-interesting.
>>
>>339592616
Banjo does a lot of things better than Mario but it's quite shallow as a platformer. Its best quality is the atmosphere and how it's fun just to be in and explore the worlds.
>>
>>339592635
OOT is a slow burn compared to M64 (but not to compared to modern games, which is kinda depressing), but in the end, I feel that there's a lot more to it in terms of pure gameplay.

Link can't jump unless he runs off a ledge, but the basic swordplay mechanics more than makes up for Mario's superior acrobatics in terms of versatility, and that's not even counting in items, mini-games, dungeons puzzles, sub-quests, etc.

OOT is a lot slower, but it's overall more versatile in terms of gameplay.
>>
What about LttP and Super Metroid.
>>
>>339593515
Super, no question.
>>
>>339591979
Both are good games, but Mario is funnier for new playthroughs. I'd go with Mario.
>>
>>339593613
I would have said LttP actually. While Super is undoubtedly better in terms of setting and level design LttP was a strong enough game that it continued the franchise onto the Gameboy and the N64. Note the absence of a Metroid game on that platform. Note the lack of any Metroid game until the Gamecube.
>>
Mario 64 because it doesn't run at 12 fucking FPS
>>
>>339591979
Why don't we settle this democratically?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10368124
>>
>>339593824
Gunpei died, so yeah.
>>
>>339594119
Fuck you, trump.
>>
>>339594143
I didn't know. I'm so very sorry.
>>
>>339593824

Super didn't get a sequel because of gunpei's death, and because Super was such a tight game that they didn't know how to improve it in a 3D environment.

Alttp was more translatable onto a 3D design.
>>
>>339594561
>Super didn't get a sequel because of gunpei's death

How does that work? He left Nintendo by that time anyways.
>>
From an autistic point of view, clearly Mario since it literally has fucking parallel universes in it, making it the deepest video game other than maybe Dwarf Fortress.

Ocarina though really takes the cake, it's STILL the least flawed 3D Zelda game and still has the most replay value of the 3D Zeldas.
>>
>>339592616
Mario 64 has better controls, better music, and better level design.

Banjo came from the shitty era when developers were making huge levels in 3D games just because they could, and it came at a huge detriment to the pacing of the game and the level design.
>>
>>339591979
Mario 64 was better, more revolutionary and has aged exceptionally well. It's the better game of the two.
>>
Both are very bog-standard adventures, not that there's anything wrong with that, given they were the first of their kind on the new system. Both have a fun factor, but in different ways. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges though.
>>
File: 1458880342143.jpg (143 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1458880342143.jpg
143 KB, 720x960
>>339594897
I would argue against you in music, as the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack is one of the best of all time, but I agree with you in all other aspects.
>>
>>339593515
Super Metroid hands fucking down not even a contest.

Super Metroid has some of the best graphics on the SNES.
Link to the Past has some of the worst graphics on the SNES.
Super Metroid from a design standpoint is far more complex and far superior to the original Metroid.
Link to the Past basically added a swinging arc and a bunch of gimmicky items while completely shitting on the exploration and freedom that Zelda 1 had.

LttP is overrated. It's still an 8/10 game but it's not the best 2D Zelda, not better than Ocarina of Time, and overall not important to game design. Nothing would really have changed if it wasn't there.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.