[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Witcher 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: geralt.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
geralt.jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
I really want to play Witcher because I love big rpgs.

My question is, can I start with Wither 3 or do I have to play 1 and 2 first to understand the story (or rather whats going on overall in 3)

I want to play 1 and 2 at some point, but I only have a laptop and I don't want the game to be compromised by crashes all the time..
>>
File: 1464191986912.jpg (201 KB, 460x450) Image search: [Google]
1464191986912.jpg
201 KB, 460x450
>>339587109
Why play the Witcher OP,when you can play the superior game known as Soul borne.....er I mean Bloodborne. It was made with love from our lord and savior Sony,not those Polish cucks CD Projekt Red.
>>
>>339587109
You're wasting your time if you haven't played the first two.
>>
>>339587109
You can start with 3 just fine, but obviously you won't understand 100% of it.

Then if you like it enough go back and start with 1.
>>
>>339587532
Thanks, will there be any huge important part thats impossible to understand? I hope they will release 1 and 2 soon for ps4 in a bundle or smth
>>
>>339587109
I'd say just read the plot of 1, its physically painful to play, then play 2 (its a great game and costs around 99p for some reason) and then 3
but desu you still wont understand half the stuff thats going on because the games are a continuation of the books and they assume you've read them with the characters they bring back.
>>
You can play 3 but the thing is it relies on you knowing who the characters are and doesn't waste time introducing them. It also relies on you knowing the past events in the world, and having some kind of attachtment to characters you wont yet know. The first two games are fantastic, play them!
>>
>>339588934

I see thanks for the input, just out of curiosity, why is 1 so bad to play? Is it too difficult?
>>
>>339587109
You can start with 3, but you get a lot more out of the game if you play the first two, and you get even more out of it if you read the books. Especially the most recent expansion and the main quest.
>>
>>339587109
play all of them you pleb. it will only make w3 all the more better when you do.
>>
>>339589304
not him but it's got a combat system that some consider to be shit, I thought it was fine but it takes getting used to. It's still very much worth playing if you can deal with the combat.
>>
Read a summary or watch the cut scenes from 1 and 2.

No point wasting your time with them - 2 isn't that bad but why play 1 or 2 when you can spend longer playing 3?
>>
File: 1430062471815.png (334 KB, 350x498) Image search: [Google]
1430062471815.png
334 KB, 350x498
>>339589304

Not that guy but:

I am a huge fan of the Witcher series, even started reading the books like a fucking nerd. But 1 is fucking painful to look at and play, it hasn't aged very well and the gameplay is so dated it is actually depressing to slog through.

Just go and compare gameplay footage between 1 & 3, not even in the same ballpark in terms of quality.

Best off just read what happens in one, play 2 (which still is a bit finicky but not as bad) and enjoy the hell out of 3; which is seriously one of the best games I have played in years.
>>
>>339587109

You definitely have to play the other 2 games as well. Witcher is mostly about the cheesy story and sex scenes, rather than gameplay. So only experiencing 1/3 of the story that could have been writting by a 12 year old won't do.
>>
Just watch them on youtube. The gameplay is ass and the only thing people say is "it has a good story".
>>
>>339589304
>why is 1 so bad to play?

souls fans who want every game to play like souls constantly throwing hissy fits about it. i love souls as much as the next guy but its gotten out of hand. if you have played a nwn game you'll be right at home with w1.
>>
witcher 1 isnt necessary. the storyline is completely separate.
but witcher 2 is pretty important, it sets the stage for the plot of witcher 3
>>
>>339587532
If OP reads the books beforehand, he'll understand 50% of it.
>>
Read at least first two books (short stories compilations) and play games in release order, otherwise you won't understand half of things and characters in TW3

You don't play witcher series for gameplay, combat and controls in first game are some shitty click trash and second is just terrible (third is medicore, it's ok to play despite /v/ faggotary shitposting all over it)
>>
>>339589304
Because it has RPG combat rather than shitty action combat
>>
File: mpv-shot0031.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0031.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
>>339589304
If you like old RPG's like Kotor 1&2 then Witcher 1 is like a really comfy rustic version of those with some really bad parts and some really good parts.

Witcher 2 has politics out the ass and plenty of choices, but feels more cinematic and modern-rpgs ish. I guess I'd compare it to Mass Effect 2.

Witcher 3 is 2 in the style of a modern open world Ubisoft game made with actual heart.

Honestly, the books are more important to the story of 3 than 1&2.

I played Witcher 2 one major (there's two), while starting the books. Then I played Witcher 1 and got through based on a ton of references to the books. Then I played Witcher 2 on the Roache route, while being up to around Time of Contempt, and I finished the last book around the time the 3rd game got delayed from January 2015 to May.

I recommend that just so you don't fall for the Triss meme.
>>
>>339588412
The game does a good job in explaining backgrounds of all the characters, so it's not necessary to play the first two games. If you don't understand anything, you can read about it right in the game
>>
>>339590019

Yes great idea.
It should be obligatory being forced to read through the sex fantasies of a 30+ year old virgin wizard from poland if you want to watch his latest interactive visual novel.
>>
OP here, thank you all, I think I will watch a LP of 1&2 to get the main story and hope for them to come out on console soon. Will see about the books, I'm not much of a reader lately
>>
>>339590303
w1 runs on toasters and 2 is on consoles. take your god damn pills and quit skipping games.
>>
>>339590432
woha damn Idk why I thought they both are only on PC well then its only gonna be an lp of 1. You have no idea how much my laptop sucks dude a toaster is highend compared to that piece of shit
>>
>>339590303
>I think I will watch a LP of 1&2
Just play them, half the appeal is making your own choices throughout the games
>>
File: 1463259830385.gif (23 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1463259830385.gif
23 KB, 500x379
>>339587109
If you really care about what the fuck is happening watch the recaps of the other games on youtube, takes 20 minutes at most. You will get a sense of the world too
>>
>>339587109
Witcher 3 is not a RPG, or even a game at all. It's a movie with long-ass breaks for repetitive walking around while in detective mode
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.