[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could this be the greatest game ever made?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 26
File: Oblivion.png (250 KB, 290x413) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion.png
250 KB, 290x413
Could this be the greatest game ever made?
>>
Is this an epic new meme?

Music, guilds and SI are top tier though
>>
I saw a mucrab today, dreadful creatures
>>
>>339586537
Not even close, not even the best Elder Scrolls game

>>339586587
>spoiler
Some of the guilds had stupid as fuck questlines, though.
>>
File: howardheader.jpg (32 KB, 530x298) Image search: [Google]
howardheader.jpg
32 KB, 530x298
>>339586537
I promise* that you pathetic dorks will get the exact same feeling you do from Oblivion if you preorder the latest TES which some people* at the office nicknamed Oblivion 2.
>>
>>339586752
>>339586587

Music is great, some guild quest were fun (Dark Brotherhood quest with that home "game" where your affection level actually make people react)
>>
>>339586537
>tfw didn't learn my lesson after skyrim
>buy fallout 4
Feelsbad. Should've just stuck with oblivion
>>
>>339586537
Could this be the shittiest bait ever made?
>>
>>339586998
It had some great moments and setpieces, like that quest, but in general the guild quests ranged from 'inconsistent and mediocre' to bullshit to just plain stupid.
Thieves Guild a best, obviously
>>
>>339587483
Explain how her post is a bait. Oblivion is an amazing game.
>>
>>339588357
>her
>>
It was pretty damn good outside of everyone looking like they had downs. The quest lines were much more immersive and out there than the recent games. I still thought Morrowind was better though.
>>
>>339589751
>missing point blank attacks
>better
wew lad
>>
>>339590226
>bandits across Cyrodil have Daedric armour at high levels
>Best build advice you can get is never to level up
I actually can't be bothered writing out the rest of the flaws for this game.
>>
Would have been well received if it didnt have level scaling and better faces. It has some of the best quests in a TES game and Shivering Isles is excellent.
>>
Can someone post more picture of Todd Howard?
>>
>>339590497
>enemies wearing daedric armour and portals directly to realms full of daedric artifacts appear across the lands
>bandits should just ignore the access to new and better gear, as well as the ability to turn a profit, because in my headcanon bandits only wear leather

Level scaling is immersive as fuck in Oblivion anon, and the "don't level up" crap is bullshit, you get access to abilities as you rank skills, and can cast more interesting spells at higher levels with higher int.
>>
File: jamesdoggo.jpg (2 KB, 111x125) Image search: [Google]
jamesdoggo.jpg
2 KB, 111x125
>>339590226

>the morrowind attack misses meme
>2016
>>
>>339586537
Why are oblivionfags so insuferable? They're worse than DSfags. Oblivion is a shit game dude, get over it.
>>
File: morrowind.gif (196 KB, 352x500) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.gif
196 KB, 352x500
>>339586537
Morrowind is better desu.
>>
>>339588357
>her
>>
>>339592342

I owned 2 copies of Morrowind on the Xbox and probably put 500+ hours into it.
>>
>>339592179
Don't you only need to be like level 15 to 20 to finish that gate? I know Mannimarco was way harder than anything in the gates.
>>
>>339588357
>her
>>
File: b5fda045.jpg (101 KB, 760x1081) Image search: [Google]
b5fda045.jpg
101 KB, 760x1081
>>339586537
It's not morrowind so no.
>b-but muh combat
Combat is shit in oblivion too so that's irrelevant.
>>
>>339593439
Oblivion has actual quality quests instead of MMO tier fetch and kill quests though.
>>
>>339593439
I bet you think demons souls is better than dark souls too
>>
File: 212121324.jpg (6 KB, 183x288) Image search: [Google]
212121324.jpg
6 KB, 183x288
>>339586537
>>
File: 350 hug.png (176 KB, 1005x550) Image search: [Google]
350 hug.png
176 KB, 1005x550
>>339593691
Haven't played it. Bloodborne is though
>>
File: bliss.jpg (210 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bliss.jpg
210 KB, 1920x1080
Nah, that would be Bloodborne tbqh
>>
>>339591290
Except its immersive. Damage sponges everywhere
>>
>>339593595
yeah and thats about it
all oblivion has going for it are some mid-tier quests
>>
Some classic Todd lies about this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg
>>
>>339594083
>better dungeons
Worse than Skyrim's and Morrowind's, they use the same asset and after 10 hours you've memorized the rooms. They probably have less than 30 assets for rooms/corridors
>better landscape
Not even close. You've probably been playing it modded because the """"landscape"""" is really not that good. The main part is basically either an endless field of grass or and endless field of trees with no variations to it.
>better npcs, immersive scheduling
I'll give you that. Skyrim fucked up such a simple thing.
>better grafix
It looked horrible even when it came out and today it's vomit inducing.
>>
>>339593595
>Oblivion has actual quality quests instead of MMO tier fetch and kill quests though.
Fucking kek, n'wah
>>
>>339594881
>90% of morrowind dungeons are ancestral tombs
>Oblivion's are much more interesting
>with instant death traps and level design that you can't levitate through.
>>
>>339586537
Memes aside, is this game worth playing in 2k1+5?
>>
>>339595087
Worth playing for the quests if you use mods that remove level scaling.
>>
>>339595087
In 2006? It was the best game you could possibly play
>>
>>339595102
>>339595021
that cherry picking and hyperbole.
>>
>>339595102

>these shitty little tombs were still better than every Skyrim dungeon because they were often filled with hand picked enemies, unique loot and unique NPCs

Huh. Makes you think.
>>
I love just hanging out in the mages guild!
>>
>>339595240
That's not Republic Commando.
>>
File: 1433474350703.png (123 KB, 317x301) Image search: [Google]
1433474350703.png
123 KB, 317x301
>kids born after 2000 are now saying this game is great

I'll finally leave when the Skyrim shitters grow up and say Skyrim is the best.
>>
>>339595935
The official order is Daggerfall > Morrowind > Skyrim > Arena > Oblivion
>>
>>339595795
The one with the maze and the viking burial, obviously.
>>
File: MW-map-Bal_Fell.jpg (184 KB, 926x924) Image search: [Google]
MW-map-Bal_Fell.jpg
184 KB, 926x924
>>339594881
>>339595102
>Oblivionbabbies have a problem with so many ancestral tombs around even though they are literally ancestral tombs
>>339595540
>Ok. Show me an interesting map from Morrowind that isn't a part of the main quest.
Bal Fell, see if you can work out why it's interesting, but I doubt an Oblivion player would be capable.

>>339595998
Daggerfall fags get out!
>>
>>339596141
Every Elder Scrolls is shit. The only fun you get out of it is playing it like GTA and killing/messing around with NPCs.
>>
>>339595935
Fuck you I was like 14 when this shit came out and this game rocked my fucking world. Pound for pound is there another rpg of oblivions magnitude?
>>
>>339591290
>bandits that are willing to enter in a portal to literally Hell
>those exact bandits are capable to not only get out alive (instead, for example, of all the Kwatch garrison) but to bring with themselves daedric gears and loot, obtained by killing Daedra, Dremora and god only know what else

Yeah sure
>>
Have you heard of high elves?
>>
Is there a mod that makes the game not run like shit?

Running it with FCOM is annoying due to the framerate.
>>
>>339596923

Was that the thing making my framerate inconsistent?

Or is there more I can do? It's stupid that it doesn't run at 60 all the time. Skyrim is easier to run.
>>
>>339586537
Baby's first rpg
>>
>>339588357
>her
>>
File: 1464575274088.png (95 KB, 233x243) Image search: [Google]
1464575274088.png
95 KB, 233x243
>>339596141
>Modded Oblivion is superior to modded Morrowind.
This opinion is both subjective and irrelevant.
>Have you replayed Morrowind recently? You're invincible by level 10. Not very fun. The quests are boring, too. Similar to Skyrim's randomly generated ones.
You usually become properly invincible at level twenty or so, unless you're intentionally setting out to break the game, but I digress. As much as you might become powerful at high levels in MW, I don't think that's a bad thing compared to Oblivion's approach to scaling (all loot levelled with no cap, so you don't get anything good at low levels and at high levels every bandit has Daedric or Glass armour; the massively inflated HP compared to weapon damage scaling so by high levels unless you used a specific build or enchantment combat became less and less dangerous and more and more drawn-out). I disagree with you about the quests, though - they're far better than the radiant ones in Skyrim; while the engine wasn't there to handle complicated things like Oblivion's 'Whodunit?', the actual questlines themselves were thought out a lot better - they didn't rely on you intentionally being an idiot like most of Oblivion's ones. The factions, too, for that matter - because it wasn't a game that decided EVERY player character should be able to do EVERYthing, the factions actually interacted and competed. It had thought behind it, not just the static world of Oblivion where nothing really matters and nothing really changes. But most of it was in the background, instead of just told to the player.

>>339596336
>Fuck you I was 14
That's why you like it so much, anon. It's not because of any particular quality of the game.

>>339596529
I know you're trying to ruse me, fetcher but you're not actually reading the map right, there's more enemies than that. But, more importantly, since we were talking about map design... it's actually constructed in a physically impossible way.
>>
>>339590226

Listen, if you use the proper weapons with the proper races and know how to manage stamina this will not happen. This was excusable when you were 12 but now you're just stupid.
>>
>>339597129
Can remember the name of it, but theres a graphics mod that auto adjusts settings while you play to give you steady fps. Oblivion naturally runs like shit though, so just be happy with 40fps or something.
>>
>>339586537
Sure except that it's worse than both vanilla Skyrim and vanilla Morrowind.

Oblivion was alright, but I will never fucking understand how people can think it was anything but the weakest entry in the series. Skyrim might have made the game more "casual", but at least it wasn't as god damn boring and lifeless and samey as Oblivion.
>>
>>339588357
(you)
>>
GUYS GUYS,

I'm sure we can argue all day long about whether Oblivion was better than Morrowind or not, but can we least agree that BOTH are better than Skyrim?
>>
>>339598120
Hell no, Skyrim might have been a hell of a lot worse than Morrowind, but it was still WAY better than Oblivion.

Oblivion was the horrible middleground between both games that got nothing at all right.
>>
>>339598120
No, Oblivion is objectively the shittiest game in the series.
>>
>>339593882
OCO is great, but I really don't like some of the new hairstyles. It's fine if they're optional, but they actually replace some of the old ones, and that's not cool.
>>
>>339598120
This guy knows whats up.
>>
For anyone who has tried Morrowind but have the "never hit anything problem" I have two mods for you. They will make it so running doesn't drain your fatigue and so that weapons will drain fatigue more. Makes it more like how Oblivion and Skyrim handle fatigue. Doesn't change the game imo just makes it better.

Speed and Stamina
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42190/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmorrowind%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D42190%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Better Fatigue Usage
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43036/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fmorrowind%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D43036%26preview%3D&pUp=1
>>
I'm sick of this "Oblivion has good quests and NPCs" meme.

The quest in Oblivion are just as uninteresting as any other TES game, and there's virtually no payoff when you complete them. The NPC schedules also doesn't add any personality to the classic TES robot NPCs at all, it just makes them harder to find when you need to buy shit or train.

4 fucking times. That's how many times I've tried to complete Oblivion, but I can never finish because every time I'm just overcome with unrelenting boredom. How could they possibly make a world so fantastic as the one in TES so completely and utterly boring, and make an event like the Deadric prince of destruction invading the mortal realm so incredibly mundane, repetitive, and dull?

Morrowind and Skyrim on the other hand I beat on my first playthrough, and pretty much 100%ed both games because the world actually had character and intrigue.
>>
>>339586587
This game started the "you can be leader of every guild at once you are the best ever " meme so, no, it does not have the best guilds. Besides their questlines were linear as fuck and the rewards were laughable.

>you can be head of all the guilds
>YOU'RE THE CHAMPION
>YOU'RE THE HERO
>>
File: rocks.jpg (213 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rocks.jpg
213 KB, 1920x1080
>>339598731
And, to add to this, Oblivion completely ruined dungeon crawling.

How many fucking times did you see this rock formation? Bethesda's choice to use a combination of premade assets radomly generated in modules, and leveled loot means that if the dungeon isn't part of a quest, don't fucking bother because not only will you not find any interesting sights, characters, or side stories inside like you find all over the place in Morrowind and Skyrim, but you won't even find any decent loot.

They had ONE fucking guy in charge of dungeons. ONE.
>>
>>339598731
Most quests in Oblivion actually have a fairly interesting story going on.
>>
>>339598953
Morrowind was just as guilty of this.

Note: I love morrowind. I also realize that its dungeons aside from a small number of gems, were nothing but copy pasted assets.
>>
>>339598953
Deadric portals are equally as useless. While at first you might think they have anything at all to do with the story, you're wrong, they're just randomly generated dungeons just like any other, only at the end there's a sigil which at max level is only SLIGHTLY better than normal enchanting. And wouldn't you know it, the sigil is random too, so better get used to pressing quickload over and over until you get the one you want, because fuck ever going in those again. There's literally
no
fucking
point.
>>339598993
No they didn't. They were run of the mill "help X do Y" quests that didn't progress the world at all. There was never any noticeable results from completing the quests, and even the rewards you were given were always shit.

Most of the quests that had potential, like the painted world and hackdirt, were completely fucking wasted. The Deadric quests (at least the ones I did before I quit, again, for the 4th time) were also boring "Go to X and help Y do Z".

I'm not saying that Skyrim and Morrowind had significantly better quests by any means, but Oblivion's weren't good either. Oblivion just had nothing else to make up for the weak quests like the other two games had.
>>
>>339593771
You are correct
>>
>>339598953
Every TES past 3 would've been improved by going for quality instead of quantity in dungeons, with a limited amount of small ones.
I mean, really. If the dungeons were xboxhuge, reused assets wouldn't be seen as often, they'd feel more compelling and would require a bigger investment and thus a bigger payoff.

You could also add stuff like dungeon-specific minibosses or something but that's just me.
>>
>>339593312
Just sprint past the dudes in the sigil room if you can't handle them, you just need to grab the stone, everything else is just a bonus.
>>
>>339597790
> at least it wasn't as god damn boring and lifeless and samey as Oblivion

Oblivion boring & samey?... where each world area & city has its own unique style & feel, where you were never quite sure what surprises quests would throw at you (recovering the ring of burden in the well, the Whodunit party and the entire Dark Brotherhood arc, uncovering the Gray Prince's background, the Sanguine undressing quest).

Skyrim's cities suffered from much more copy/pasting of assets, and the quests were dull as dishwater, all the same - just blindly follow the marker, kill some shit, grab something, go back to quest giver.
>>
>>339599435
Isn't every quest in every game "go to x and help y do z"?
>>
File: variety.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
variety.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1500
>>339599676
>>
File: 1421180713403s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1421180713403s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
Oblivion hate meme was bad enough when it was only Morrowhiners doing it. Now there are Skyrimbabbys doing the same as if their game isn't shit tier? wow lad

this face is MY face when YOU'RE post
>>
>>339599338
True, to some extent they all use similar assets, but Morrowind and Skyrim weren't modular, and they weren't so randomized. In Morrowind, you never knew if you were going to find a fucking awesome sword, or a strange enemy, or the skeleton of Indiana Jones in one of the caves you went in. In Skyrim you never knew if you were going to come to a large chasm in the cave, or into a back enterance to Dwemer ruins (which, by the way, are infinitely better then the "we want the LOTR audience" Alyed ruins), or find some notes left by someone who entered the cave long ago.

Morrowind and Skyrim had enough unique things in a decent amount of the dungeons to make you actually say "well, maybe I should go in there, there might just be something cool". Oblivion pretty much told you "don't bother".

>>339599676
>Oblivion boring & samey?... where each world area & city has its own unique style & feel
Changing the architecture to be a lightly different European flavor doesn't make each city unique. They were all "medieval European city that specializes in absolutely nothing, has no clear distinction between NPCs, and is laid out more or less the same". Skyrim's cities, while small, at least had personalities of their own. The people who made the cities in Skyrim I guess understood that a minor architectural change doesn't make a city fucking unique. Skyrim's cities specialized in one way or another, and it was a HUGE improvement over Oblivion's cities. Oblivion's might be slightly larger, but that doesn't mean there's more to see. There's less substance in Oblivion's towns.

>>339599776
Yes, read the bottom of the post.
>>
>>339599776
Pretty much. You can make anything sound stupid or shallow if you oversimplify it like that.
>>
Cities in Oblivion were objectively better than Skyrim.

Even fucking NPCs were written better considering you could walk into just about any house and there'd be some sort of quest involved.
>>
>>339595998
>Daggerfall > Morrowind > Skyrim
Yeah.

>Anything worse than Arena
>Oblivion worst
Just fuck off kindly
>>
>>339599523
I thought the dungeons in dragonborn were pretty good, they actually hid stuff all over and made exploring worthwhile usually. Dungeon specific minibosses would be a nice touch. FO4 has pretty shitty dungeons though so that has me a little worried for the next TES.
>>
>>339599797
Todd does it again
>Oblivionfags actually defend this
>>
>>339600325
Yeah no.

That's wrong on both counts.

Most NPCs would just tell you rumors, and had nothing at all say other than that. If they switched the locations of all the NPCs from city to city, most people wouldn't notice at all, because they don't actually matter.

In Skyrim the NPCs dialogue fit the city they were in and gave it a presence. Winterhold citizens walking around Solitude would be as weird as Riften citizens walking around Markarth.

But the people of Anvil act differently than the people of Bravil how? They're all the same, they act the same, they look the same, and most of them even tell you the same rumors.

Once you realize that all those houses are fucking empty, and all those NPCs are fucking placeholders, you start to realize how little substance there actually is in Oblivion's cities. Yes, they're much worse than Skyrim.
>>
>>339600325

The only reason you can say that most NPCs started a quest is because there were so few of them. Population in the Imperial City itself was like a dozen people.
>>
>tfw you enjoy every Bethesda loot hunt game on some level but /v/ says you have to hate at least one
>>
>>339600749
There was at least 2 dozen in the market district alone anon.
>>
>>339600541
Didn't you know, having differently styled European architecture makes them vastly different, despite them all being laid out the same, with the same commodities, same blend of citizens, same culture, etc etc.
>>
>>339600794
Not him, and this is true, but most of them were there to sell you shit, and did not have a quest.

Most of the NPCs in Oblivion didn't have quests, and half of the ones that didn't have unlock conditions that aren't specified, so even a lot of the ones that do have quests will still just tell you rumors.
>>
>>339600706
>But the people of Anvil act differently than the people of Bravil how?
>being unable to tell the difference between a pirate port town and a bunch of skooma addicted deadbeats and dockworkers
heh
>>
File: anon-kun kissu chu.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
anon-kun kissu chu.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>Oblivion gets BTFO: The Thread
this was a good day
>>
>>339600832
It's almost like they are part of the same empire and were built by the same people. The imperials are a more unified people than the Dunmer and the Nords.
>>
>>339600749
yeah that's simply not true. I would say it was a ballsy bluff if it wasn't for the fact that not only are you not holding cards, but I don't even think you're at the table. In fact, i'm posting from the 1st page just to chime in on how astoundingly wrong you are, that's how far out from right you are currently set.

Also, not sure if its your or the other anon's arguement, but I can think of plenty of Oblivion mobs who didn't start quests, especially in the IMP city, there were lots of what I'd call flavour NPCs: Wives, people lurking around important NPCs, shitty beggars, staff at shops who didn't sell anything (there were two at least)

A dozen, what fucking balls.
>>
>>339601064
>walk up to 99% of NPCs
>I saw a mudcrab the other day.
>You're the hero of Kvatch!!

Fucking incredible stuff, man.
>>
>>339586663
Good day!
>>
>>339600942
Except no one in either town act that way. Do you know what they ALL say when you talk to them at all?

"I-it's you! The Hero of Kvatch!"

They don't give a single fuck if they're a pirate or a dock worker. That's what they will fucking say. That, or one of 3 or 4 other lines that everyone in every fucking city always fucking says when you talk to them.

Stop exaggerating anon. There might have been one or two people who had the burden of carrying the whole persona of the town on their shoulders, but one or two people can't give a town personality.

>>339601063
Wow! It's almost like that doesn't make for a very good setting at all, and it's almost like it doesn't refute my point either. Thanks for the input though Mr. Loremaster, did you know Cyrodil was supposed to have jungles?
>>
>>339601063
that's not a valid point, the towns and cities in Morrowind and Skyrim aren't all copy paste shit despite being apart of their respective regions
>>
>>339594083

It had way better music as well.
>>
>People actually think Oblivion had better dungeons than anything
What the fuck? Explain yourselves? Sizes = / = Better. Oblivion dungeons were large and empty.
>>
>>339601460
don't worry bro, I've got your back.
>>
>>339594083
>literally none of those are better in Oblivion

The graphics in Oblivion may have bamboozled people when the game was first released but they have aged like milk. At least Morrowind had an artistic direction that prevents it from aging as poorly. The landscapes are green mountains, green hills, one small area of snow. The end. Immersive scheduling = people walk around in the morning, go to sleep at night...woah...so this...is the power...of radiant AI. (they will act the same regardless of whether you talk to them in the street or break into their home and talk to them at night).
>>
>>339593917
i feel like a woman in a abusive Relationship with todd , i know he lie to me ect and yet i still believe his words
>>
>>339601275
Your point is dependent on oversimplifications though. Can you honestly tell me that Skingrad has the same layout and style as Bravil, that Bruma looks like any of the others? The NPCs are definitely lacking but in terms of having a unique style I think the cities in oblivion were ok. They certainly aren't perfect and if fallout 4 is any indicator Bethesda still doesn't know how to make a thoroughly satisfying city.
>>
File: no contest.jpg (108 KB, 600x323) Image search: [Google]
no contest.jpg
108 KB, 600x323
Remind me again why literally anyone would choose Oblivion over Morrowind?

inb4 Mehrunes Dagon, who you don't even fight and merely watch get killed in a cutscene.
>>
Oblivion wouldn't be shit without its music. Give it Skyrim's soundtrack and nobody would be calling it comfy.
>>
>>339597526

>From Software creates geometrically impossible world in DS2
>DS2 is shit! From is a bunch of hacks how literally do not understand basic geometry!

>Bethesda makes geometrically impossible Morrowind dungeon
>10/10 map design Morrowind has the deepest lore

>>339598293
Oblivion's sex mods will never be surpassed any Bethesda game, present and future.
>>
My biggest issue with the cities in Oblivion is how flat they are. Compared to Morrowind there is almost no vertical element to the cities. In Balmora for example you were going up and down staircases, some buildings could be entered from the second or first floor, buildings were connected in an architecturally sound manner; in Ald'ruhn buildings extended below ground because of the massive windstorms on the surface, etc. On the other hand every town in Oblivion is a flat plane, which isn't even a realistic representation of how medieval cities would have been laid out.
>>
File: space_ghost.png (155 KB, 350x385) Image search: [Google]
space_ghost.png
155 KB, 350x385
this thread made me realize that oblivion is the worst game ever made

>play oblivion
>every cave is the same
>every city is the same
>every oblivion realm is the same pain in the ass fetch quest
>every aylied ruin is the same pain in the ass trapfest
>every enemy is a pain in the ass left click sponge that can never kill you since you can just jump out of the way
>the only decent quests weren't even that interesting
>muh whodunit quest where you literally just kill everyone SO INTERESTING AND ORIGINAL
>muh paint world where you just kill some fucking trolls HAVENT DONE THAT BEFORE
>that unbelievably generic music that was basically just morrowinds music but shittier and the pirates of the caribbean theme in the intro
>the entire game world where its basically just a really uninteresting heightmap with vegetation randomly generated
>a whopping 10 voice actors for a couple hundred npcs
>captain picard - the ONLY interesting character gets killed not even ten minutes into the game
>fucking atrocious leveling system where its a pain in the ass to do anything, even when you do everything the right way
>enemies are always stronger than you WHOS READY FOR SOME SPONGE COMBAT

im not sure what i ever saw in oblivion
i now realize that after modding the everyliving shit out of it, that it doesnt even matter because the actual game is fucking horrible

i honestly wish this was a shitpost but honestly every bethesda game after oblivion was the same exact shit, fallout 3, its expansions, skyrim, and fallout 4

doom is the only exception
>>
i liked oblivion and probably put 300 hours into it. but it's not even the best TES game let alone best game ever. there's just so many weird design choices and problems with the game. morrowind > skyrim > oblivion.
>>
File: 9592592399.jpg (74 KB, 349x344) Image search: [Google]
9592592399.jpg
74 KB, 349x344
>>339586537
>hey guys lets make a pirate game
>wait no lets make a lotr game
>hold on wait lets make a generic fantasy setting
>no no no lets just make a medieval setting
>no screw that lets make a roman setting!
>wait a minute, isn't this supposed to be an elder scrolls game?
>well fuck it lets just make some evil daedric guys try to destroy the world or some shit
>>
Oblivion is pretty cool with
>OOO
>Better Cities
>Open Cities
>Unique Landscapes
>that face mod V2

tadaa, game's fun
>>
>>339603614
Bruma isn't flat and Bravil has the rivers and stuff but the verticality was for sure lacking. Beth probably had a hard time sticking houses in terrain in a way that didn't look bad with the architectural style.
>>
>>339590497
>level up properly
>have an easier time killing things at level 24 than at level 1

I shiggy diggy
>>
>>339599970

The truth is all TES games are shit but nobody wants to admit this.
>>
>>339604950
>I have no clue about Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard
>>
>>339586537
without reinventing the entire game, what are some of the essential mods, such as interface mods?
>>
File: 1462574688615.jpg (189 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1462574688615.jpg
189 KB, 720x960
>>
File: nehrimlogomoddb_en01.png (217 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
nehrimlogomoddb_en01.png
217 KB, 512x256
>>339586537
No, but it stops being shit once you install pic related
>>
>>339595021
>running through those paths wondering what you will see next.
Man I miss that game and the feels I got. Voice acting really did ruin the elderscrolls games. Now after playing a few hours you realize you are just hearing the same 6 or 7 voice actors and really kills the immersion.

hold me senpais.
>>
>>339608000
Oblivion Script Extender
Darnified UI
QZ Easy Menus
Unofficial Oblivion Patch
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch
Unofficial DLC Patches if you have any of it
>>
>>339602794
What do you think about Miraak?
>>
>>339604131
DooM isn't really a bethesda game.
But if you're going to include that, how about Dishonored?
>>
>>339608759
excellent meme, perhaps someone will even download that garbage because of your post.
>>
>>339586537
Yes.
>>
>>339608759
Good taste. Thought it was pretty much an improvement on the original in every way.
>>
>>339604131
>doom is the only exception
You hit the nail on the head until you said this shit.
DOOM WAS DEVELOPED BY ID
BETHESDA DEVELOPS SHITSCROLLS AND FAILOUT
>>
>>339588357
>her
>>
Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim
>>
>>339604131
>>that unbelievably generic music that was basically just morrowinds music but shittier and the pirates of the caribbean theme in the intro

Dude.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE
>>
>>339586537
I have this ISO on my pc (no internet) and it's driving my shit up a wall. I want to play it but keeps saying to insert the disc. Fuck your disc, game. It has all necessary data to run. Does anyone happen to know of a way to get this sum bitch goin?
>>
>>339586537
Honestly, it could be, if the combat wasn't so garbage
>>
>5th attempt
>Always get to Mythic Dawn shit around the 100 hour mark and lose intrest
>Im going to finish it this time!
>At the very least the mages guild questline.
>Still got to play Morrowind after this like i planned 7 years ago.
>>
File: 2015-07-20_00003.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-20_00003.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
>>339609859
>>
>>339590497
git gud
>>
>>339588357
>(her)
>>
>>339608000
Enhanced Hotkeys
Equipment Converter
Oblivion Character Overhaul
>>
>>339610318
>enhanced hotkeys
>not hotkey pro
lad
>>
>>339609639
Use Daemon Tools?
>>
>>339610382
>hotkey pro
I prefer mods that are actually available.
>>
>>339609639
You have to mount the iso to a drive retard.
>>
>>339610416
>>339610603
Will poweriso work? My autism doesn't let me compute shit at this level.
>>
>>339592342
>>
>>339610707
Oh, shit. I did it. I love you guys. My day is made.

Sorry to shitpost.
>>
It's a shame that no amount of mods can fix the shit engine.

OpenOblivion never ever.
>>
>>339610318
>Equipment Converter
And unlike Transmogrification for Skyrim, this works on weapons, too.
>>
>>339611610
It is indeed a shame. Stuff like Better Cities ruins FPS no matter what kind of system you have.
>>
>I've fought mudcrabs more fiercer than you
>I'm just warming up you pathetic worm
>WHY, WON'T, YOU, DIE
>Cur
This game is hilarious, what the fuck is cur?
Oblivion is just fun, Skyrim took itself too seriously to be le epic.
>>
No, but it is my favorite game.
>>
>>339595998
>the official order
end yourself
>>
>>339594556
There are some things that Morrowind will never compare with against Oblivion. Small moments that just added to my fascination with the game when it released, and yes, I played Morrowind first.

>walking along a road to a city at night, heading away from the capital and to the outer rim of the region and into an area with huge trees
>Get distracted by a small dungeon off to the side
>explore it
>come back
>everything is foggy out and hard to see
>see a lone Imperial Guard on horse-back with torch out slowly trotting through the fog
>I walk by him, he says "Good evening citizen"
>After a bit he's completely out of sight, suddenly hear a troll roar
>it comes running out from the foggy forest and attacks

Best game.
>>
>>339614192
>This game is hilarious, what the fuck is cur?
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cur
>>
oblivion is pretty fun on mid-high difficulty.

>fight 2 ghosts
>don't have any silver weapons and out of magic
>about to die and ran out of health potions
>run into a goblin with a silver dagger
>kill goblin
>take dagger
>methodically hit and run and dodge snowballs for the life of me

funnest shit i've experienced in a video game in a long time
>>
>>339604131
>every cave is the same

Wrong.

>every city is the same

Wrong...

>every oblivion realm is the same pain in the ass fetch quest

They were annoying, but also worth it, and offered a nice change of scenery if you got tired of all the lush forests and snowy mountains.

>every aylied ruins is the same pain in the ass trapfest

That's what made them fun and interesting to explore.

>every enemy is a pain in the ass left click sponge that can never kill you

Except there's also stuns and knockdowns.

>Only decent quests weren't even that interesting

To you.

>muh whodunit
>where you literally kill everyone

You can literally convince other people to attack eachother.

>muh paint world

Okay, so this is going to be repetitive.

>unbelievably generic music

Lol, okay.

>Basically just a really uninteresting heightmap

And Morrowind was a really uninteresting world-dungeon where no one could go in or out of buildings.

>whopping 10 voice actors

Compared to a whopping 10 hours to read through all the bullshit text in morrowind, or you could just skim the texts until you see diary entries.

>atrocious leveling system where its a pain in the ass to do anything

Too vague, I assume you just have no idea what you're talking about.

>enemies are always stronger than you

Wrong again.

>i'm not sure what I ever saw in oblivion

Probably nothing, because you're a reaching Morro-fag that thinks Morrowind is better in every way.

>also hates Fallout 3, skyrim, fallout 4

Think about it this way; Morrowind was dogshit compared to Daggerfall.
>>
>>339604131
you've basically described skyrim as well.
>>
>atempt to make Sheev
>destruction and blade
>meh there's just something missing
>unlock the roll with acrobatics
>that backflip
Now i can even sheevspin
>>
>>339592179
Damn son, you must suck.

What's giving you trouble? The xivilai? With high level restoration I blew through it just casting absorb health, even those guys with their spell reflect didn't give me any trouble. Then again I was breton so reflected spells didn't do much to begin with.
>>
>>339586537
>MFW I've been here long enough to see the generation that grew up with morrowind have left /v/ leaving the next generation to speak about a game that isn't nearly as good.
I'm old /v/. Why haven't I left like the rest of them?
>>
>>339587192
4 was ok but not for fullprice.
>>
>>339616020
They were all NEET shitlords that killed themselves.

>i'm old

Lol, what are you, 22?
>>
>>339586537

The game vanilla sucks ass, no idea how someone can ever have this opinion
>>
Daggerfall>Oblivion>Morrowind>Skyrim>Haven't played Arena

desu
>>
>>339586537
Anybody has a list of must have mods in order to fix this game, I want to replay it, but I always get bored by the gameplay two hours in.

I always played it with OOO.
>>
>>339616123
no I'm 26. Not really that old but older than op for sure.
>>
>>339616020

I'm still here anon. 27 and still kicking
>>
>>339598761
>plays video game set in a fantasy world with magic and monsters
>expects realism
>disappointed because no realism

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>339616020
Oblivion was only released 4 years after morrowind. not even close to a generation lol
>>
>>339616426
-holds up cane-
Good on you anon. Lets teach these yunguns some respect.
>>
OOO is probably Oblivion's saving grace. Vanilla leveling sucked and shit like Martigen's was just regular level scaling with ten times more palette swaps.

Level scaling totally took away the sense of progress you got and the only things not locked away in chests were iron shortswords just there to look pretty on a rack. Oscuro was so good at autistically combing through the game world to look for places to hide shit (he hid a lot of those ayleid weapons in the rafters in dungeons, you have to either blow them down or jump up there) that Obsidian hired him to do it for new vegas.
>>
>>339616395
OP is trolling, but Oblivion was solid.
>>
>>339588357
>bane
>>
>>339616287
Oblivion XP is pretty good.
>>
>>339616287
OOO
Vanilla Combat Enhanced
Supreme Magicka
Better Cities
Unique Landscapes Compilation

>>339616682
Oblivion XP is interesting but it's far from essential. The issues with Oblivion's leveling was that the level scaling made it so you were better off not leveling. Once you remove level scaling with a mod like OOO, the leveling is good.
>>
>>339598302
Which mods make the faction quests not horribly boring
>>
>>339616773
Eh, I wouldn't say that. Even with level scaling gone, it still sort of rewards minmaxing metagamey stuff rather than just playing the game. That and XP gets rid of leveling from casting unlock door on a dresser for 2 hours and in return gives levels for quest completion and walking out into the wilderness to find new places
>>
>>339588357
>xir
>>
>>339598401

I'm pretty sure you can just straight-up overwrite over the new hair meshes. I think that's what I did for some of the uglier replacements.
>>
>>339588817
>>339592370
>>339593009
>>339597502
>>339597803
>>339609469
>>339610303
>>339616627
>>339617769
Thanks for the (You)s lads, screenshotted and saved to my (You) folder. I'm a girl irl btw. :^)
>>
>>339586537
No. It's also the second worst tes after arena
>>
Speaking of hair, are there any decent hair mods that aren't Pretty Pretty Princess Fun Time Dress Up?

I just want high res hair dammit
>>
File: reinstall oblivion.png (11 KB, 1112x148) Image search: [Google]
reinstall oblivion.png
11 KB, 1112x148
>>339618531
pic semi related
>>
>>339586537
Of course not OP. But it's not bad. I like it a lot. I admit it has flaws, enough to the point that jumping up to unreachable heights as an archer and reigning arrows down upon your enemies is a legitimate strategy. Not to mention how ugly the people are. But the world looks great and I had fun playing it. Going through oblivion gates was fun as hell. I still play it today actually.
>>
>>339586998
>Dark Brotherhood quest with that home "game" where your affection level actually make people react

Am I getting rused? Jewgled to no avail.
>>
>>339599797
but I can distinctly remember the layout of each city and how each felt different.

Skyrim had a bunch of "village with snow" shitty settlements and that's it. The only cool ones visually are markath and solitude but once you get inside of them they're filled with nothing but 4 houses and a castle.
>>
>>339618634

Usually how it goes is that there's 1-3 good hairs within the animu hairpacks. I just download one, mentally note which ones don't look like complete garbage (there's only three of them), then delete the rest in TES4Edit or whatever the equivalent is.
>>
>>339618531
YOU KNOW THE RULE

Or just post a normal pic to see what a grill on 4chan looks like.
>>
Looks like the Zelda cycle in full effect
>>
The Witcher 3 is, but Oblivion is pretty based.
>>
>>339619320
I think he's talking about the Whodunit quest, where you can use people's disposition toward you to manipulate them into suspecting and killing each other.
>>
>>339586537
That's not Morrowind.
>>
>>339592342
I remember being late to the Elder Scrolls party and wasn't a PC gamer yet.
Had bought the GOTY edition for Xbox and fuck it was fun.
I honestly feel like getting back into it.
Last I played it I had to install a mod to make it widescreen to fit my resolution.
I also had to download a mod to make picking up stuff not as monotonous.
It always crashed though, so it wasn't fun dealing with the crashes.
>>
File: emperor-redesign.jpg (584 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
emperor-redesign.jpg
584 KB, 1920x1080
>>339618634
There's one that adds Fallout styles (or rather it's a resource, you'd need to add them manually yourself), and you can use a Fallout retexture mod on top of it.

http://undersunandsky.blogspot.ca/2012/04/fallout-3-hair-for-oblivion-by-room207.html
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.