[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting back to WoW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: WoWScrnShot_060116_094810.jpg (340 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_060116_094810.jpg
340 KB, 1366x768
Haven't played WoW since Wotlk but wanted to get back so I've just downloaded the trial.

>enemies are weak as hell, someone with the same level as yours only takes down like 10% of your hp
>an elite takes down like half of your hp, previously you needed a group of people to kill them
>your hp and mana instantly refreshes after battle, I don't even know what's the point of food and drink anymore
>you can't learn/upgrade skills, you just get them while leveling up
>enemies/quests drop shittons of valuable items, you have an unnesecary amount of money that you don't even have to spend on shit because you literally get everything for free anyway
>every low level player is running around in armors that previously lv60+ characters could wear
>talent tree removed. The new talent system looks ok but why not leave both in the game with different perks?

Will this game get more challanging/require more resources management soon as I level up? Or is the game only about speedrunning to lv100 where you can make a couple of dungeons with actual challenge/resources managmenet? I still like the game's ambience but so far the game looks painfully shallow, exactly like GW2 felt like.
>>
>Will this game get more challanging/require more resources management soon as I level up?
No.
>Or is the game only about speedrunning to lv100 where you can make a couple of dungeons with actual challenge/resources managmenet?
No, it's about speedrunning to 100 but the end goal is playing Facebook games (or alternatively hardmode raiding, but everything besides that is "obsolete" in ways you described just the same, and at this point of the expansion there obviously won't be any progression raiding going on).
>>
Some of my finest gamen memories are standing around Goldshire as a low level character, seeing what people were getting up to. It took me ages to level up in vanilla for one reason or another, and I really enjoyed the social aspect despite being somewhat introverted. When j hit 70, the first thing I did was get some low level bind-on-equip 2 handers and had them fire enchanted and gave them out to aspiring Arms and Retribution characters running and jumping around Goldshire. Good times.
>>
>>339579742
>get more challanging
No.
>more resources management
Most classes have 1 or 2 resources to manage and the classes with 1 have procs instead.

Old talent tree stuff has been rolled into passives you get while leveling or is baseline with a spec. The lv60+ armor you are describing is a special class of gear that scales with your level (and grants bonus xp), modeled after vanilla armor sets. As you level up your gold will become tighter because the garrison starts as a gold sink.

The health regen and damage difference between you and monsters is getting reworked to make it less of a 1-shotathon but you are correct; it's pretty bad right now.
>>
>>339579742
Its shit pal, theres a reason everyone moved to Nostalrius when it was up.
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_060116_094902.jpg (289 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_060116_094902.jpg
289 KB, 1366x768
>>339580937
>>339579994
are the dungeons still challenging/require some carefullness or they also got toned down so you can just steamroll through them?

also is there a point in leveling up masteries anymore? They don't seem to give you anytihng useful considering the time investation on them.
>>
>>339581290
Dungeons are facerolls now. They've been like that since WotLK.
>>
>>339581290
Indirect nerfs have rendered low-level dungeons soloable by most of everyone. Top level dungeons are WotLK-tier (trivial).
>>
>>339579742
Let me save you some time. Quit now. Now I know WotLK was a landslide, but believe me, it's only gotten much worse since then. Compared to current retail WoW, WotLK is genuinely excellent. If you want to play WoW, go and play on a decent private server. Retail is dead and gone.
>>
File: 88 fingers.jpg (94 KB, 603x667) Image search: [Google]
88 fingers.jpg
94 KB, 603x667
>>339581290
>investation
>>
>>339581431

Hard exaggeration.
>>
>>339581447
are there any good vanilla/tbc/wotlk private servers out there?

>>339581545
investing or whatever, I'm not english speaking
>>
>>339579742
>Or is the game only about speedrunning to lv100 where you can make a couple of dungeons with actual challenge/resources managmenet?

Aside from mythic instances, the game is arguably easier at level cap than during levelling, if you can believe that.
>>
>>339579742
Don't forget
>LV1s now have a mount because of some heirlooms
>>
>>339581690
Hellground is best TBC around, pretty much everything works including Kara chess event which literally no other server has.
>>
>>339581908
To add to that, the downside is really large Polish population since it started as a Polish server before it became an international one.
Also some vanilla quests are broken. But TBC content is pretty much flawless for the most part.
>>
>>339579742
>enemies are weak as hell, someone with the same level as yours only takes down like 10% of your hp
Blizzard fucks around with scaling in every expansion as a result the low level zones compared to characters is fucked from 1-20 its almost impossible to die

>an elite takes down like half of your hp, previously you needed a group of people to kill them
Rares and elites are different I doubt there are any elties left at low levels anymore and elites will certainly still floor you.

>your hp and mana instantly refreshes after battle, I don't even know what's the point of food and drink anymore
This only happens from 1-10/20 after that it goes back to normal, that said most classes have a way to restore health so yes food is only really used in raids anymore.

>you can't learn/upgrade skills, you just get them while leveling up
Spell ranking was removed at the start of wrath and you clearly still do learn spells so you're upset you don't have to pay for spells anymore?

>enemies/quests drop shittons of valuable items, you have an unnesecary amount of money that you don't even have to spend on shit because you literally get everything for free anyway
Buying riding will drop you down to ~30 silver at level 20

>every low level player is running around in armors that previously lv60+ characters could wear
Either they're heirlooms or they're transmogged regardless they aren't getting the stats.

>talent tree removed. The new talent system looks ok but why not leave both in the game with different perks?
The big stuff was rolled into your spec the small shit was removed. old talent trees are coming back kind of in legion and the new talent system is changed to mostly dps some yutility from some dps mostly utility.
>>
>>339581764
To be fair, you need >= half of all heirlooms available to get that mount. If you already have all of those, chances are that you have a ton of alts already anyway, and that you're running through the content for the God fucking knows how oftenth time, and it doesn't really hurt anyone, so why the fuck not?
>>
>>339582151
Hogger is still an elite and is easily soloable
>>
>>339579742
Man I tried with Warlords of Draenor. I really did. But it just wasn't very fucking good. Garrisons were literally one of the worst ideas blizzards ever had, and they made the "capital" """"cities""" complete fucking garbage because they knew everyone would be in their garrison all day every day.

At least when I was bored back in Wrath or mop, I could just bum it around the capital for a while and maybe chat with randoms, now they're even managed to get rid of that.

Only fun I can get out of that game any more is collecting random shit like mounts and toybox items, but thats just not enough to sustain interest for a 15/month sub.

/blog
>>
>>339581603
I soloed deadmines at lvl 20 with no heirlooms or twink gear
This is inexcusable
>>
>>339581690
Warmane is pretty decent for WotLK. It's not perfect, but well populated and generally one of the least buggy private servers I've played. For TBC, there's nothing I'd consider great around at the moment, but Corecraft will no doubt fill that niche when it releases in 2087. Not sure about Vanilla, never really had an urge to play it.
>>
>>339582172
This is /v/ we don't deal in logic, you have to just present the half of the story that suits your message bereft of context (LEVEL1 MOUNTS) then use that as launch pad for your ill informed point of view (anything that makes inconsequential content less annoying is terriblew casualisation).
>>
>>339582151
>Rares and elites are different I doubt there are any elties left at low levels anymore and elites will certainly still floor you.

that's just not true
all elites outside of dungeons from 1-60 are soloable
>>
Everyone is lvl100 already. Who cars about low level content. Level up and play the actual game.
>>
>>339582336
Couldn't agree more, I didn't realise how much populated cities kept me playing the game until they were gone. Seeing all the activity and life around Shattrath during BC was one of the highlights of the game for me.
>>
>>339582151
hogger was still an elite, didn't had much problem with him

> you're upset you don't have to pay for spells anymore?
actually yes, I loved that you constantly had to manage your money and juggle spending it on every kind of stuff. Now money seems more like just something you only spend on luxury stuff.

it's nice to hear from someone that only the beggining is like this
>>
the late game areas have elites that will kick your ass but otherwise everythings easy
>>
>>339582572
cancer
>>
>>339582685
It's not just the beginning, pretty much anything outside of normal to mythic raiding is faceroll easy. I guess PVP is hard too. But that's about it. All the dungeons and heroics at max level are easy. Leveling is easy. LFR you can honestly just AFK in.

I quit the game because I was paying $15 a month plus the expansion price to log on a few hours for a few nights a week to raid and that was it. The game is really not worth the money anymore, I can get way more gameplay out of a F2P MMO honestly.
>>
>>339582572
cancer
>>
>>339582572
cancer
>>
>>339582527
I'm playing with buddy who never played wow before so no heirlooms, no refer a friend.
The two aboms in ghostlands are not soloable (that's tbc content fair enough).
Yetimus in the hillsbrad foothills in not soloable by melee classes at all (he kills you with fall damage) he might be soloable by a ranged class with heirlooms kting him but kiteing has been exploited since vanilla so that's no great change.
>>
Blame cata for making the early game less tedious.
Blame TBC for adding heirlooms.
I miss talent trees too, but making some previous talents baseline into a spec was both a blessing and a curse.
The game is just a glorified facebook game at this point.
>>
>>339583354
>Blame TBC for adding heirlooms

Where they introduced that early??
>>
>>339583354
>Blame TBC for adding heirlooms.
They added heirlooms in Wrath, with ToC
>>
>>339583409
I could be wrong and it might've been wotlk, I dont really remember.
I think TBC added catch up gear with tokens
>>
>>339583409
I actually think they were added in WOTLK but his point kinda stands.
>>
>>339583354
heirlooms was woltk son
>>
well many elites were already weak and soloable in wotlk, but you had to be careful back then at least
and the leveling gear(which looks like lvl60 stuff) was available since wotlk too, you should know that, but whatever

and yes the game stays easy as fuck, even in pandaland I tried to die by pulling one mob after the other, but it felt more like a hack and slay
>>
>>339582527
The elite status of pre-instance mobs was dropped in 2.3, though.
>>
>>339583591
yeah but it used to take effort to kill them if you were alone
>>
>>339579742
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAgCrH76oo
>>
>>339583591
Most not all, some like Hogger retained it for meme reasons even if his stats don't match the status.
The TBC starting zones retained theirs and in the cata world there are some (like 5-8) elites but most can be avoided.
>>
>>339582990
Just no, even the elites in Tanaan are faceroll
>>
>>339583879
there couple elites in draenor you are meant to take on with a buddy. I rember that one treeant in shadowmoon 2.0 kept killing me with bullshit attack. Although I imagine hunters can solo everything like they always could
>>
>>339583830
If you want to spend the time and gold and buy a new account why shouldn't you be able to get to 100 in 5 hours?
I know the shitpost replay will be 'muh casualistaion' but they've spent like at least $20 and w/e in gold for the boas and potions. Its not like every random chuckle fuck can do this.
>>
>>339583476
Heirlooms were introduced in 3.2.

And you might as well say catchup gear was introduced in form of AV rep rewards in 1.5.0 or with decently itemized Dire Maul drops in 1.3.0 or significantly buffed 5-man dungeon loots or the introduction of Jintha'Alor quests including endgame-worthy rewards like Rune of the Guard Captain or whatever.

A certain level of catchup gear is critical for the health of the game. For starters, high-end players would really like to have a recruitment base of players who can carry their weight at some level, being worthy of picking up and given a trial without having to go through trouble of running low-end content no one else needs allows new players to prove themselves rather than being stuck with bads, and ultimately it's the masses of low-end players that keep the cogs of the economy turning, making the game feel populated enough to feel like a world etc. And they too need some things to look forward to, and besides catchup gear in itself being a carrot to pursue, it indirectly nerfs extant content that was previously out of reach for those players. Indirect nerfs are a far more elegant and healthier solution than keeping the casual population active through faceroll artificial difficulty setting.

The things to keep in mind with catchup gear is making sure it doesn't obsolete content and that acquiring it takes sufficient degree of time and effort. And even the most nerfed versions of TBC heroics were respectable, MGT even more so, and the gear rewards took quite a while to get (particularly if you steered away from Arcatratz or other difficult heroics). It was fine, just like buffed 5-man loots in vanilla were fine.
>>
>>339584359
My mistake famalam
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.