[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls JRPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1455544690635.jpg (986 KB, 1284x2968) Image search: [Google]
1455544690635.jpg
986 KB, 1284x2968
>Dark Souls is not a JRPG

I found this a curious statement and went to do some research on the matter.

Here's an excerpt I found from Wikipedia.

>While Western computer developers continued to explore the possibilities of real-time RPG gameplay to a limited extent,[12] Japanese developers, with their recently aroused interest in the RPG genre, created a new brand of action/RPG, combining the RPG genre with arcade-style action and action-adventure elements.[13][14] This trend of combining RPG elements with arcade-style action mechanics was popularized by The Tower of Druaga,[14] an arcade game released by Namco in June 1984. However, the company often considered the pioneer of the new action RPG genre is Nihon Falcom,[1] which produced the Dragon Slayer series and won its reputation as the progenitor of the action RPG genre.[15] Dragon Slayer was created by Yoshio Kiya,[16] who built on the action RPG elements of his previous game Panorama Toh,[11] as well as The Tower of Druaga.[14] Falcom's Dragon Slayer series abandoned the command-based battles of previous RPGs in favour of real-time hack-and-slash combat that requires direct input from the player, alongside puzzle-solving elements.[1] The original Dragon Slayer,[16] originally released for the PC-8801 computer in September 1984,[17] is often considered to be the first true action-RPG.

So the first true action-RPG was a japanese game.

There you have it folks, not only is Dark Souls a JRPG but by extension all action RPG's actually stem from and are influenced by japanese games like Dragon Slayer and Nihon Falcom

Westaboo status: BTFO
>>
What's with miyazaki's west folklore boner, then?
>>
>>339569394
Fantasy books, thats it, nothing to do with gaming.
>>
>>339569070
Nobody fucking cares.
It's like you had an arguement with someone in another thread, then passive aggressively started a fucking thread proving him wrong.
>>
>>339569494
Hi westacuck.
>>
File: 1429930308576.png (21 KB, 701x195) Image search: [Google]
1429930308576.png
21 KB, 701x195
Westerncucks are retards. What else is new?
>>
>>339569070
>fucking amstrong has QTE
evertime
but is k cuz japan
>>
>>339569494
Just said you were fucking right in the post.
Nice injecting cucks into every facet of your life though. Kill yourself.
>>
Except it's clearly Japanese by design.

It has cancels, i-frames, layered level design, hitstuns, etc.

If it's so inspired by western RPGs, where are the dialogue trees? Where is the point and click movement? Where are the auto attacks? Where are the hotkeys and the rotations that come with them?
>>
>>339569070
>by japanese games like Dragon Slayer and Nihon Falcom
>Nihon Falcom
>game

Wiki-fu autists sure are funny.
>>
File: 1444867931759.jpg (33 KB, 328x466) Image search: [Google]
1444867931759.jpg
33 KB, 328x466
>>339570014
I think you're a bit lost.
>>
who the fuck didn't know it was a jrpg
>>
>>339570014
And no SJW cuckoldry.
>>
>>339570236
People who don't want to admit that they liked a JRPG
>>
>>339570625
>Gay twins
>Tranny God
>Evil Church oppressing everyone

It's getting there
>>
>>339570921
Not a tranny. And he was in dark souls 1.
>>
>>339571454
Yeah not a tranny, but rather a trap, also a Japanese convention.
>>
>>339571656
? No not that either.
No use in talking to you, obviously haven't played the game.
>>
>>339569394
With your retarded logic, Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill are Western games because they take place in American cities.
>>
>>339571656
Gwyndolin is nonbinary.
>>
>>339572102
Some Silent Hill games are western, though, since they were made by non-Japanese developers...but they're shit and we don't speak of them...same with those Castlevania games made by Spaniards.
>>
After playing Dark Souls for the first time not that long ago, I'm surprised by how 'un-RPG' this feels. It's more like a Castlevania type deal. I'd even go as afar as to call it arcadey. The bonfire mechanic especially.
>>
>>339572102
Fun fact: none of those have japanese audio.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.